Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I just noticed that Frontier Siege is actually kinda hosed-up with Hornet Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

I like Tasigur for his cheap body :heysexy:, but I don't see him seeing much play. I played Sultai in one of my pre-releases and basically had the perfect set up for him.
Turn 7 board stall.
10 non land cards in my grave
Tossed him out for 1 delving out all the chaff leaving a Villainous Wealth, Sultai Charm, Dig Through Time (yes, it was a pretty sweet pool), Wooly Loxodon, and Abomination of Gudul. I activated him 3 times over the next two turns and each time, he popped one land and one dud early drop into my grave.

Granted, you get far more chances in constructed to sculpt the top of your deck and grave, but 4 mana is a huge tempo loss to pick up a Sylvan Caryatid or Satyr Wayfinder out of your grave.

He's a 4/5 in a format where 5 toughness is extremely relevant, has Delve (easily the most overpowered and abuse-prone mechanic in Standard) and gives you straight card advantage (which is always spells and not land, for that matter) while simultaneously fueling said overpowered and abuse-prone mechanic. He's going to see play and in fact I think he's the best card in Fate Reforged.

AlternateNu posted:

Except my point was that unless you can perfectly control the top of your deck, you're not guaranteed poo poo. Hell, one thing I forgot to mention in my example up there was that I also had Frontier Siege out, so his ability only really cost me 2 mana. And it still didn't net me anything backbreaking.

Saying Tasigur isn't playable because you didn't draw anything doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. If you milled away bad cards, those were bad cards you were about to draw into your hand in the first place. You can draw three forests off of Ancestral Recall too.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

redstormpopcorn posted:

I just noticed that Frontier Siege is actually kinda hosed-up with Hornet Queen.

Especially in a Whip deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chamale posted:

Tiago, Bob, Young Peezy, Goofy, and (sigh) Stoneforge Mystic.

Yung Pyromans is the only way to refer to him.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Entropic posted:

Especially in a Whip deck.

Any chance Temur Sabertooth with start showing up in Whip to keep stuff from exiling?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
young peezy the lemon squeezy

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Gonna laugh when they reprint Leyline of the Void in M16.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

redstormpopcorn posted:

You can't take a turn off to play a siege in this standard.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I know this is an easy target but god drat is cardboard crack the most negative-funny mtg thing in the universe

I think this is a real suggestion :gonk:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

He's a 4/5 in a format where 5 toughness is extremely relevant, has Delve (easily the most overpowered and abuse-prone mechanic in Standard) and gives you straight card advantage (which is always spells and not land, for that matter) while simultaneously fueling said overpowered and abuse-prone mechanic. He's going to see play and in fact I think he's the best card in Fate Reforged.

Saying Tasigur isn't playable because you didn't draw anything doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. If you milled away bad cards, those were bad cards you were about to draw into your hand in the first place. You can draw three forests off of Ancestral Recall too.

I didn't say he wasn't unplayable. I said he won't see much play. And his ability costing 4 is the reason.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, Sarkhan finishes whatever he was doing in past-Tarkir:

Basically, Bolas shows up, wins the fight and planeswalks off Tarkir, leaving Ugin for dead because Bolas is apparently a James Bond villian and obviously he should just assume he died rather than make sure. Sarkhan is greviously injured when he falls out of the sky due to Yasova Dragonclaw casting Mob Rule on all creatures with power greater than 4. When she cast the spell, he was about to attack Ugin, but then he changed out of Dragon form so his power would be less than 4, but then he fell and was about to die. Yasova heals him because she's sort of interested in how he's turning into a fucken dragon (that are she's planning to join Sarkhan's harem).

Sarkhan's like "haha dumbass" and runs over to Ugin after he is healed and uses that Hedron thing he has to create the Crucible of the Spirit Dragon, which apparently saves Ugin in some kind of healing sphere thing. Then, Sarkhan gets all excited because he regains his sanity finally. Then he realizes he erased his own existence and fades out like Marty McFly.

AlternateNu posted:

I didn't say he wasn't unplayable. I said he won't see much play. And his ability costing 4 is the reason.

Not only will he see lots of Standard play, I imagine he shows up at Pro Tour Fate Reforged in a Modern deck. His ability is "2 G/B G/B: put the least good spell from your graveyard in your hand." Its pure gas, especially if you're curating your GY with Delve.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 21, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mortimer posted:

I know this is an easy target but god drat is cardboard crack the most negative-funny mtg thing in the universe

I think this is a real suggestion :gonk:

Actual crack addiction and the effects thereof are more amusing than cardboard crack.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

redstormpopcorn posted:

Any chance Temur Sabertooth with start showing up in Whip to keep stuff from exiling?

This doesn't work. The whip says if it would go anywhere exile instead

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Alaan posted:

Right, I should finish my coffee before thinking about wizard poker. :doh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

LSV says he's the best card in the set...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's a bunch of cards I'd really love to see play in Standard, but I don't know if they'll make the cut.

Temur Sabertooth is my favorite limited card in the set, but I don't know if keeping a bunch of mana up to stall the board and abuse ETB effects is good enough in constructed. The dream is that you set up a board state where you're bouncing and replaying Siege Rhino or something every turn. In practice though you need 2GG up if you want to guarantee you can use the ability every turn and still not have it die to a Hero's Downfall. It seems like it's really good if the game goes long, but hard to use effectively in the early game. It's a four-drop you don't really want to run out on turn 4.

Archfiend of Deprativity seems like it could be good against the green ramp decks that vomit their hand onto the table but don't have much in the way of targeted removal, but there's a lot of decks it doesn't do much against. Sideboard card?

Channel Harm. Very powerful effect against a lot of decks, but I'm guessing 6 mana is just too much.

Frost Walker. Temur Aggro, maybe? The illusion downside is way less of a downside than you'd think against most constructed decks since almost anything they can target it with would probably have killed it anyway. Seems like it could fit into a deck with Heir of the Wilds and Savage Knuckleblade and Crater's Claws.

If there's a WB or Mardu tokens deck that goes wide, Harsh Sustenance could fill a similar role to what Crater's Claws does in the RG / Temur decks (relatively efficient creature removal that doubles as a late-game finisher).

Kolaghan, The Big Dumb BR Dragon: Stormbreath is probably still just better, but having your late game finisher be able to dodge sorcery-speed removal isn't nothing. And there's some minor synergies with Dash and Purphoros or the red Siege.

Merciless Executioner seems like a really good inclusion in any whip deck (basically an edict with flashback) but there are already so many good cards competing for space in those decks.

Mob Rule could be a sideboard card in Mardu or WR control decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaan posted:

The only way to stop the Whip's exile as far as I know is either exiling it with a different ability and then bringing it back (e.g. Ghost Dad), or Stifling the Whip trigger at the end of turn. (I don't think you can even Stifle the exile if the creature just dies).

In fact, based on the wording of Whip, if you Stifle/Trickbind the delayed trigger, it doesn't remove the replacement effect of exiling it when it leaves the battlefield, even after that turn ends. If it dies 8 turns later, it still gets exiled due to Whip.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 21, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chamale posted:

I call her "the card that actually killed you"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, Sabertooth does cool stuff but it can't save a whipped creature from exile. I think my favorite thing to do with it is bouncing a manifested card that you'd rather have in your hand. Preferably after blocking with it. I think the coolest thing I was able to do at the pre-release was block with Sabertooth and a Manifest, bounce the Manifest, which was Sandblast, then Sandblast a big unblocked creature. I suppose you could run it in constructed alongside Whisperwood Elemental, but that's probably not a thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

Yeah, Sabertooth does cool stuff but it can't save a whipped creature from exile. I think my favorite thing to do with it is bouncing a manifested card that you'd rather have in your hand. Preferably after blocking with it. I think the coolest thing I was able to do at the pre-release was block with Sabertooth and a Manifest, bounce the Manifest, which was Sandblast, then Sandblast a big unblocked creature. I suppose you could run it in constructed alongside Whisperwood Elemental, but that's probably not a thing.

The card is a bomb in limited. I can't believe it's not a rare for that alone but in a format where Polukranos only sees sporadic play, I doubt it will see any.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

There's a bunch of cards I'd really love to see play in Standard, but I don't know if they'll make the cut.

Temur Sabertooth is my favorite limited card in the set, but I don't know if keeping a bunch of mana up to stall the board and abuse ETB effects is good enough in constructed. The dream is that you set up a board state where you're bouncing and replaying Siege Rhino or something every turn. In practice though you need 2GG up if you want to guarantee you can use the ability every turn and still not have it die to a Hero's Downfall. It seems like it's really good if the game goes long, but hard to use effectively in the early game. It's a four-drop you don't really want to run out on turn 4.

Archfiend of Deprativity seems like it could be good against the green ramp decks that vomit their hand onto the table but don't have much in the way of targeted removal, but there's a lot of decks it doesn't do much against. Sideboard card?

Channel Harm. Very powerful effect against a lot of decks, but I'm guessing 6 mana is just too much.

Frost Walker. Temur Aggro, maybe? The illusion downside is way less of a downside than you'd think against most constructed decks since almost anything they can target it with would probably have killed it anyway. Seems like it could fit into a deck with Heir of the Wilds and Savage Knuckleblade and Crater's Claws.

If there's a WB or Mardu tokens deck that goes wide, Harsh Sustenance could fill a similar role to what Crater's Claws does in the RG / Temur decks (relatively efficient creature removal that doubles as a late-game finisher).

Kolaghan, The Big Dumb BR Dragon: Stormbreath is probably still just better, but having your late game finisher be able to dodge sorcery-speed removal isn't nothing. And there's some minor synergies with Dash and Purphoros or the red Siege.

Merciless Executioner seems like a really good inclusion in any whip deck (basically an edict with flashback) but there are already so many good cards competing for space in those decks.

Mob Rule could be a sideboard card in Mardu or WR control decks.
To comment on some of these:

Archfiend is okay but for the fact that he has to live all the way to the opponent's end step, and of course, he dies to Stoke (tokens is probably the deck you really want to run this against). Its seems like it would be better to just cast Drown in Sorrow.

Frost Walker I think is playable in a deck that *really* wants ferocious. An aggressive ramp deck that's built around stuff like Shaman of the Great Hunt, Yasova, etc. I don't think a deck like that is competitive, however, due to being completely annihilated by Anger of the Gods (not to mention, you could just play Frontier Siege rather than Shaman). But perhaps you just side out the 2 toughness dudes and put in more big butts?

Kolaghan I think would be playable in a Mardu deck but for Stormbreath Dragon and Sarkhan being cards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 21, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Merciless Executioner seems like it makes the u/w heroic matchup a lot better for non mardu b/x/x decks.

If only Channel Harm could hit players instead of creatures then it would have a chance at being played, but I think it is too expensive.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So far in my whip deck I have slotted out the elvish mystics for 3 torrent elemental and the soul of innistrad for 1 tasigur. I never actually played the elvish mystics so I don't miss them. I have an extra tasigur on the sideboard as well.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bugsy posted:

Merciless Executioner seems like it makes the u/w heroic matchup a lot better for non mardu b/x/x decks.

If only Channel Harm could hit players instead of creatures then it would have a chance at being played, but I think it is too expensive.

Merciless Executioner runs the risk of getting burned and forcing you to sac a guy you don't want to sac. I didn't happen to me, but I will bet there are a thousand kids out there who got their Executioner Wild Slash'd in response to its ETB trigger. :\

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Kolghan seems like she's better in a Mardu build that goes wide; more strictly midrange Mardu builds are obviously going to want Stormbreath and Sarkhan.

Also, Executioner is probably great in a wide tokens deck, as you're probably have a spare goblin you're fine sac'ing over anything else. Atleast as sideboard removal.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
On the trip to flavor-town and readying the Uncharted Realms ... man I hope they don't just unwrite Sarkhan like this. I also wasn't a fan of the killing off of Venser, either ... sooooo, yeah.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

En Fuego posted:

On the trip to flavor-town and readying the Uncharted Realms ... man I hope they don't just unwrite Sarkhan like this. I also wasn't a fan of the killing off of Venser, either ... sooooo, yeah.

My guess is that his Planeswalker powers probably allows him to continue to exist normally. Sarkhan is a reasonably popular character, I think.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

It's no longer in Standard, but it would be hilarious to bounce a Manifested Smite and then use it to kill the creature it was blocking.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I wonder what the odds are of a rewritten Sarkhan? And maybe we get the alt-universe Narset planeswalker that everyone wanted

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Death Bot posted:

I wonder what the odds are of a rewritten Sarkhan? And maybe we get the alt-universe Narset planeswalker that everyone wanted

We already know that the same people exist in Dragons - there's a reference in the "alternate" cards to "Surrak, the Hunt Caller," and "The Great Teacher" (which could be either Narset or just whatever dragon is in charge, I suppose).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wonder about Outpost Siege (the red one) for standard too. If it was only the Chandra +0 for the same cost you'd probably rather just play Chandra, but I can see the other half of it being relevant. Dropping it turn five or so after casting, say, Hordeling Outburst and a Rabblemaster, puts your opponent in a tough spot. And it certainly makes your opponents' wraths way worse. Don't know if it's worth a card slot that could otherwise be a powerful creature or planeswalker though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

We already know that the same people exist in Dragons - there's a reference in the "alternate" cards to "Surrak, the Hunt Caller," and "The Great Teacher" (which could be either Narset or just whatever dragon is in charge, I suppose).

I think chances are pretty good that we'll get an alt Sarkhan. The question is, will he be a planeswalker in the alternate timeline?

If they decide that his alt version isn't a planeswalker, I can see him as the Mardu khan instead of Zurgo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm guessing that the planeswalkers in DTK will be Sarkhan v4 and Bolas v2.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

En Fuego posted:

Venser may be "dead," but I wouldn't be surprised if some Compleated husk of him comes back, as an excuse for how the Phyrexian's are traveling the planes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Venser may be "dead," but I wouldn't be surprised if some Compleated husk of him comes back, as an excuse for how the Phyrexian's are traveling the planes.

He's no longer a planeswalker after his death so I don't see that being a reasonable excuse.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Where is that?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Chamale posted:

What, no Jens?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I wonder about Outpost Siege (the red one) for standard too. If it was only the Chandra +0 for the same cost you'd probably rather just play Chandra, but I can see the other half of it being relevant. Dropping it turn five or so after casting, say, Hordeling Outburst and a Rabblemaster, puts your opponent in a tough spot. And it certainly makes your opponents' wraths way worse. Don't know if it's worth a card slot that could otherwise be a powerful creature or planeswalker though.

I don't know that you'd rather play Chandra for the 0. Chandra doesn't do anything relevant the turn she comes down most of the time since you have to spend mana to cast her (so using the 0 just wastes cards) and her ping is usually fairly insignificant. Then to boot she gets killed an awful lot whereas you don't have to protect Outpost Siege.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Literally right after I hit enter I realized you mean the Alt art cards in that special Pack, I am dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So far in my whip deck I have slotted out the elvish mystics for 3 torrent elemental and the soul of innistrad for 1 tasigur. I never actually played the elvish mystics so I don't miss them. I have an extra tasigur on the sideboard as well.

These seem like odd trades to me as the cards you're switching serve vastly different roles in the deck. Granted, Elvish Mystic might not be correct in a Sidisi Whip deck regardless, so maybe it'll work.

Taking Soul of Innistrad out seems like a mistake, though. It's the best card in your deck in the late game.

• Locked thread