Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

A woman who's election season claim to fame was personally being Bill Clinton's wife.

And that worked in New loving York, so tits to Iowa I guess.

to be fair, being bill clinton's wife is a lot harder than castrating (most) farm animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Cliff Racer posted:

A woman who's election season claim to fame was personally being Bill Clinton's wife.

I'm sure people would be more interested in hearing "First Lady ___"''s opinion than someone who was calling for her experience in castrating as hog as something relevant or useful in politics. But anyways your point is still dumb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cliff Racer posted:

Well that and being well educated and part of the process of government as a first lady being rather different than "I CUT THE NUTS OFF PIGS SO I CAN MAKE LAWS"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well that and being well educated and part of the process of government as a first lady being rather different than "I CUT THE NUTS OFF PIGS SO I CAN MAKE LAWS"

I'm a mother and a soldier and that's why I'll make a good senator!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

like all you got to do with cattle is wrassle the bullcalves to the ground and pin them while your partner slips a band around their nuts. long as you do it when they're around 3months/300lbs or smaller, it is real easy.

I never done hogs but I imagine it is even easier as long as you don't wait too long

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

joeburz posted:

I'm sure people would be more interested in hearing "First Lady ___"''s opinion than someone who was calling for her experience in castrating as hog as something relevant or useful in politics. But anyways your point is still dumb.

She was also a State Senator and Lt. Col in the National Guard. It wasn't all nut snipping.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I guess it makes sense to hand off your SOTU response to backbenchers, it almost never works out and just ends up awkward. Compare the President Of The United States flanked by the top lawmakers in the country giving a speech to the entirety of congress versus some dude in an empty room with a speech written days before the actual SOTU was broadcast and a bottle of water just barely out of arms reach.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I guess it makes sense to hand off your SOTU response to backbenchers, it almost never works out and just ends up awkward. Compare the President Of The United States flanked by the top lawmakers in the country giving a speech to the entirety of congress versus some dude in an empty room with a speech written days before the actual SOTU was broadcast and a bottle of water just barely out of arms reach.

The SOTU response is pretty much a bullet through the head for presidential ambitions when it comes to the person giving it. Sure, you get the occasional survivor but it's generally considered fatal unless you're strong as gently caress.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FAUXTON posted:

The SOTU response is pretty much a bullet through the head for presidential ambitions when it comes to the person giving it. Sure, you get the occasional survivor but it's generally considered fatal unless you're strong as gently caress.

It worked for Andy Guzman... :shrug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhvpN4SOTJw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It worked for Andy Guzman... :shrug:

Look lots of things work for Andy Guzman.

That's because Bill Clinton is generally considered to be one of the best orators of the 20th century so "strong as gently caress" applies.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thank you for this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Just got around to watching Huckabee on The Daily Show last night. It's like someone poured the culture war into a suit (and there's a lot of culture war) which we're going to have to listen to for the next two years. It's intolerable.

It ain't Shakespeare.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I hope Huckabee convinces republicans that eating like sit and gaining tons of weight is part of the culture wars, so that the GOP base can't get out of the house to vote by November 2016.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cliff Racer posted:

The only thing Joni did in the army was push papers lol

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

The only thing Joni did in the army was push papers lol

So how is that an argument against her working in the legislature?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Armyman25 posted:

So how is that an argument against her working in the legislature?

The army is extremely bad at paper pushing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

That opening. Jesus Christ 1985, I thought those PSAs I had to watch were just accidentally bad. I didn't know you actually liked that style.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

(1) drat. Clinton was prime-time ready even then. Why the hell didn't the Democrats run Clinton in the 80s??? Those laughable clowns Mondale and Dukakis over this guy???

(2) Just about any one of the Democrats who spoke would be completely electable in my part of the country today. If I didn't already know who all of them were, and if they weren't clearly in the 80s, I could guess they were a bunch of establishment Republicans, or as we are affectionately known now, RINOs. If Democrats don't like the sea of red across the south and midwest, or GOP House majorities near historically high levels, MAYBE they should try running normal people like that instead of insane leftists who have nothing more to offer than TAXES TAXES TAXES and shrill harpies screaming about our scary guns and the need to ban them. I'm temporarily in Virginia, and while the Democratic party in this state DOES actually run normal human beings for the 2 senate seats (which, SUPRISE, they actually win doing so) they run complete nutters for the house. The congressman in this district has been in the house for over 2 decades now. Maybe they could try running a sane person against him instead of just forfeiting the seat with some new fruit-loop hippie every 2 years?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chris Christie posted:

(1) drat. Clinton was prime-time ready even then. Why the hell didn't the Democrats run Clinton in the 80s???

Because Reagan would have used him like a rag?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Chris Christie posted:

(1) drat. Clinton was prime-time ready even then. Why the hell didn't the Democrats run Clinton in the 80s??? Those laughable clowns Mondale and Dukakis over this guy???

Because of your cordial and good relationships with the fruit-loop hippies ITT, we present to you this gift.

quote:

(2) Just about any one of the Democrats who spoke would be completely electable in my part of the country today. If I didn't already know who all of them were, and if they weren't clearly in the 80s, I could guess they were a bunch of establishment Republicans, or as we are affectionately known now, RINOs. If Democrats don't like the sea of red across the south and midwest, or GOP House majorities near historically high levels, MAYBE they should try running normal people like that instead of insane leftists who have nothing more to offer than TAXES TAXES TAXES and shrill harpies screaming about our scary guns and the need to ban them. I'm temporarily in Virginia, and while the Democratic party in this state DOES actually run normal human beings for the 2 senate seats (which, SUPRISE, they actually win doing so) they run complete nutters for the house. The congressman in this district has been in the house for over 2 decades now. Maybe they could try running a sane person against him instead of just forfeiting the seat with some new fruit-loop hippie every 2 years?

WhyweneededtheDLCin1985.txt so why you buggin'? What you describe here is the exact strategy that Democrats used to win the '90s, and they might have won the 2000's with it too if Gore had been a 1% better candidate. We don't use that strat now because the Republican party has scored so many own goals moving to the right that we don't need to make concessions to them anymore. Remember, Republicans weaponized polarization, not us. When Reagan trounced us in the 80's we took it on the chin and did focus groups, moved right. We didn't even impeach over Iran Contra which was bonkers.

Low low tax rates in the US can only go so far before you empower the wingnuts who want to drown Federal government in the bathtub. The big secret here was that if you create the military industrial complex with one hand you will never be able to drown it with the other hand. Reducing the size of government and lowering taxes is always just a smokescreen for increasing wealth inequality and crypto-resegregation, so ultimately moderates figure out that Republicans cannot make good on their claims and lefties get to take another crack at reconstructing a proper Welfare State (also we don't really want to take all your guns away--naturally dropping crime rates, police reform, and a push to expand national mental health institutions should deal with most of the problems here). You keep giving us too many chances to be hippy-dippy big government idealists and eventually we get enough mexicans to make it work.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Because Reagan would have used him like a rag?

It's odd enough that he ran against an incumbent Bush. Running a solid candidate against an incumbent Reagan would have been a mistake.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Chris Christie posted:

I assume because Bill Clinton is somewhat politically astute, and realized his chances of beating Reagan in 1984 or a Reagan-backed Bush in 1988 were low and he'd get a better opportunity down the road (if not in 1992, then in 1996). Similarly, a number of relatively feasible Republican candidates (including your namesake, or Jeb Bush, for instance) recognized that beating Obama in 2012 would be fairly uphill, and decided to try their luck in another cycle.

Chris Christie posted:

Same basic problem applies - most districts in Virginia aren't especially competitive in the House race. So you're trying to recruit someone to spend a year of his/her life and lots of their own/family/friends' money getting hit by Republican attack dogs, getting all their dirty laundry aired, just for the privilege of losing the race and hurting any future political career. Nobody rational and electable is going to sign up to run in VA-7 for instance, because it's R+15 so you're screwed even if you're running against Dave Brat,, and even a light-red R+2 to R+5 seat is almost impossible against a relatively clean incumbent outside of a wave year. Plus there's the bench issue: in a blue area, Dems have a wealth of folks with experience in lower elected offices, but in red areas, there's only the occasional School Board member or Town Councillor in elected office as an open Democrat.

Based on your description, I think I know which CD you're in, and it's ten-plus points more Republican than the nation. Toss in an incumbent getting a few-point edge, and in a 50-50 year nationwide, that seat is 57R-43D. If Democrats run a lovely candidate, the seat is 62R-38D or something. If they bred some sort of super-candidate from the best qualities of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama and poured in the money, they could maybe make the race 52R-48D. And even if they pull off a win (presumably because the incumbent fucks his staffer during a blue-wave cycle), they'd just get creamed an election or two later.

By contrast, in a non-Republican-wave year, Virginia statewide races are fairly winnable, so recruiting is easier because there's a realistic chance of victory. Also running in a statewide race gets you more contacts and publicity.

Now don't get me wrong, it's important to run 435 House candidates, but that's for reasons of "changing minds" or "building the Party" or "hoping the other guy gets indicted", not because someone's got a chance of winning many of those races.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chris Christie posted:

Both parties run complete nutters for the house because the most important part of house electoral politics is typically the primary rather than the general. There are a few exceptions (such as my very own NE-02 but not for lack of trying by the nutjobs in state government, I wonder how much of the city they'll snip out to put into the 1st CD) but for the most part you're looking at single-party ownership of seats and the ideological inbreeding that comes with it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Chris Christie posted:

The congressman in this district has been in the house for over 2 decades now. Maybe they could try running a sane person against him instead of just forfeiting the seat with some new fruit-loop hippie every 2 years?

Candidate recruitment is really hard. Candidate recruitment to run a suicidal campaign against a 20 year incumbent is really, REALLY hard. Some of those seats sometimes don't even have opponents.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Why do GOP SOTU responses always sound like Mr. Rogers addressing a roomful of children? I thought Jindal was bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BiggerBoat posted:

Why do GOP SOTU responses always sound like Mr. Rogers addressing a roomful of children? I thought Jindal was bad.

Because you pop a handful of ativan when you're following the president, two handfuls if they're as talented a speaker as Obama.

Follow it with a quart of whiskey if it's Clinton.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chris Christie posted:

Are you dumb because almost every moderate democrat lost in 2014 while the "crazies" did pretty well. The democrat problem isn't one of policy, it's one of messaging. Although it is pretty funny now that the party has shifted farther to the left thanks to 2014 it means that when the party gets back in power it will be TAXES, TAXES, TAXES as opposed to retarded neo-liberal poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What the Clinton clip shows is that the parties should go back to making a tape of their response instead of doing it live, though then it becomes a question of whether any networks would carry the response.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Chris Christie posted:

If people actually wanted centrist Democrats in office, they would still be there. As a red state Democrat, trust me, they run, they just don't win anymore.

Ed; also wow "Shrill harpies?" can we avoid using overtly misogynistic language ITT, please?

oldswitcheroo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 21, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Venom Snake posted:

Although it is pretty funny now that the party has shifted farther to the left thanks to 2014

Have they? From my perspective everyone is shifting more and more to the right, doubling-down on supply-side trickle-down bullshit regardless of affiliation.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Chalets the Baka posted:

Have they? From my perspective everyone is shifting more and more to the right, doubling-down on supply-side trickle-down bullshit regardless of affiliation.

I think he was referring to the mass exodus of Senators like Landrieu, Pryor, etc. who formed the right side of the Democratic party. Now that they're gone, a more liberal Senator is now the median Democrat, if only though attrition.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chalets the Baka posted:

Warren has actually been to shape policy and Obama has his new crusade against the rich

oldswitcheroo posted:

I think he was referring to the mass exodus of Senators like Landrieu, Pryor, etc. who formed the right side of the Democratic party. Now that they're gone, a more liberal Senator is now the median Democrat, if only though attrition.

Pretty much

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chalets the Baka posted:

Go watch the State of the Union.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Also remember that the State of the Union address doesn't matter.

But yes it's still worth watching.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

baw posted:

Also remember that the State of the Union address doesn't matter.

But yes it's still worth watching.

I mean it is fairly important if you're discussing rhetoric.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

I mean it is fairly important if you're discussing rhetoric.

Extremely important if discussing what the rhetoric will be in 2016 primaries.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Extremely important if discussing what the rhetoric will be in 2016 primaries.

And of course they'll move rightwards from there in the general, but the fact that we're seeing this large leftward shift now means there's the solid potential for moving stuff at least a little leftward relative to now.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Venom Snake posted:

Are you dumb because almost every moderate democrat lost in 2014 while the "crazies" did pretty well. The democrat problem isn't one of policy, it's one of messaging. Although it is pretty funny now that the party has shifted farther to the left thanks to 2014 it means that when the party gets back in power it will be TAXES, TAXES, TAXES as opposed to retarded neo-liberal poo poo.

Crazies that won? He's talking about red districts. Candidates that were far to the left won in very blue districts, unless you can show me a red or even purple district where "crazies" or Progressive Caucus types won.

Crazies have to run in red districts (like mine) because no one sane wants to waste their time.

Voters don't reward that sort of "bravery."

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

oldswitcheroo posted:

If people actually wanted centrist Democrats in office, they would still be there. As a red state Democrat, trust me, they run, they just don't win anymore.

Ed; also wow "Shrill harpies?" can we avoid using overtly misogynistic language ITT, please?

The centrist branch of the Democratic party is now centrist Republican. I'm trying to say that even on 9gag, which generally leans liberal, there is a realization that there's been a shift in the public consciousness, and in response to that a lot of 'Textbook Liberals' are simply stunned into silence. :crossarms:. Not everyone is at fault for this. Obama's lack of performance has killed the chances of future Dems to improve their social standing in the House, Senate or elsewhere.

• Locked thread