Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
The way it was put to me was, "you have to decide whether you want to be a SEAL, or an officer." And I want to be a SEAL.

As I said I'll get all the information before I make the final decision re: enlist v. commission. But if my chances of becoming a SEAL are even a little better by enlisting, that's what I'll do.

If I enlist at the end of this year or beginning of next year, I'll have, potentially, two tries before I hit the age cutoff. I'll have a loving JD so if I don't get through by then I doubt I'll have any trouble commissioning just to make my life suck less. Doesn't the Navy have some equivalent of green to gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

The way it was put to me was, "you have to decide whether you want to be a SEAL, or an officer." And I want to be a SEAL.

As I said I'll get all the information before I make the final decision re: enlist v. commission. But if my chances of becoming a SEAL are even a little better by enlisting, that's what I'll do.

I just want to put this out there: IF YOU ENLIST WITH A DEGREE, YOU ARE A LEAD-PAINT EATING :downs:-rear end MOTHERFUCKER. DO NOT ENLIST WITH A loving DEGREE.

Especially since you already have been through an enlistment and know how much E life sucks dick. If you are a BUD/S drop, you will be chipping paint for 4 years while a stupid motherfucker who can barely remember the process for breathing is in charge of your sorry rear end. You do not want some dude who made a 35 on the ASVAB and dropped out of high school to be your boss.

Your chances of making it as a SEAL by enlisting are pretty much zero, that bullshit the SEAL recruiter or whatever is feeding you is literally that, bullshit. He's trying to get you to enlist because it will help him check off another tickmark on his quota of special programs enlistees.

If I enlist at the end of this year or beginning of next year, I'll have, potentially, two tries before I hit the age cutoff. I'll have a loving JD so if I don't get through by then I doubt I'll have any trouble commissioning just to make my life suck less. Doesn't the Navy have some equivalent of green to gold?
Yeah the navy has a green to gold program, it's called OCS. You can't sign up for it if you've enlisted unless you have done a portion of your enlistment, and even then, the slots are rather competitive. Just get the loving commission man, don't put yourself in a world of hurt, because we will all universally line up to alternate laughing at your misfortune and ripping you a new rear end in a top hat for being so stupid.

E: you know what I could just replace the entire thing i wrote with :cmon: I mean what the gently caress dude.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 21, 2015

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
I just submitted a request to reenlist for my final six :negative:.

I have failed.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

but right now I'm leaning towards enlisting, and then maybe trying to commission from the ranks (especially if I take two tries and still don't make it).

LOLOLOLOL

Don't enlist with a degree.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

orange juche posted:

Your chances of making it as a SEAL by enlisting are pretty much zero

how is that? :confused:

and he's not a recruiter, he's part of the NSW recruitment team, his job is to answer questions about NSW, he doesn't actually sign people up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

and he's not a recruiter, he's part of the NSW recruitment team, his job is to answer questions about NSW, he doesn't actually sign people up.

Because about 20% of people who enlist for SEAL actually make it through the pipeline and being a goon indicates some other characteristics which are not conducive to success.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because about 20% of people who enlist for SEAL actually make it through the pipeline and being a goon indicates some other characteristics which are not conducive to success.

lol

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I know this is the navy thread, but considering the washout rate, if you want to be a secret squirrel kinda dude, maybe the army is a better choice. At least the pathway is wider for officers to get to special forces and the consequences for not making it through the special forces gate not quite so severe.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Just going to reinforce that if you enlist you are an idiot. Being a BUD/S drop as an officer lands you on far better footing than being a BUD/S drop as an enlisted pleb. Like Stultus said, BUD/S has an 80% washout rate, are you willing to bet your next 6 years on being the 1 out of the 5? SEAL officers have a similar washout rate, but at least you are a butter-bar which makes you way more money, and instead of chipping paint you will be the dude in charge of the dudes who are in charge of the paint chippers. Two degrees of separation is acceptable.

Seriously, step back, and think. If you sign on that dotted line, and you get hurt, then Uncle Sam still owns your rear end for 6 years. A lot of the BUD/S drops are due to injury, I had a dude I worked with, he was a BUD/S drop because the people in his group hosed up and dropped Old Misery on his shoulder, shattering his clavicle and drat near ripping his arm off. He did nothing wrong, but they couldn't patch him up well enough to continue training within a reasonable timeframe, so they dropped him from BUD/S. He lucked out and wound up in a job with smart people, and did his time and got out. He was extremely lucky that he didn't wind up chipping paint, because everyone who had processed the day before him, and the day after him went undesignated directly to the fleet.

VVV You are a loving retard, godspeed, retard.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 21, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Ron Jeremy posted:

At least the pathway is wider for officers to get to special forces and the consequences for not making it through the special forces gate not quite so severe.

The consequences are exactly the same, and SFAS doesn't roll people back in the case of injury they just send you packing. The army does have other SOF units but if you DOR from selection they are not going to send you to the Rangers or Psy Ops, they just will not. And I'm not particularly interested in those, anyway.

orange juche posted:

Like Stultus said, BUD/S has an 80% washout rate, are you willing to bet your next 6 years on being the 1 out of the 5?

hell yeah

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
A buddy of mine got a bachelor's degree from Penn State and got a bit of patriotic fever so he decided he was going to join the Air Force. He was going to be a TACP; he figured he could take it after all he was high-speed low-drag and was an athlete in college. Everyone told him to commission as an officer but he was convinced he could do it. His recruited said he was a shoe-in.

He told me this story while we were applying yellow touch up paint to these things:

Turns out while he was motivated and at peak physical fitness he still hurt himself during training and got reclassified as a crew chief and got bossed around by someone who barely finished high school for six years. Dude hated his life.

Don't enlist with a degree you loving moron.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The consequences are exactly the same, and SFAS doesn't roll people back in the case of injury they just send you packing. The army does have other SOF units but if you DOR from selection they are not going to send you to the Rangers or Psy Ops, they just will not. And I'm not particularly interested in those, anyway.

hell yeah

I was thinking more going from sof to 11b or 11a. You still get to play soldier instead of chipping paint.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
So my first week of being back in college is pretty great so far. I feel really old comparatively though (not as old as Ket though).

Also: Knew a guy who went to OCS for nuke and DOR'd. He now has to go to boot camp to be an Undes. SN.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I think the key here is that joining the military, especially after you've already done an enlistment, is incredibly loving stupid.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Get with a dive motivator and get whatever paperwork you need done to go take the PST and work out with those guys. In the event you have to enlist first to get with the dive motivator, don't do that. Do you have anything legal on you that would prevent getting into OCS or joining another service? There's other options.

See if you can't take the PST and PT with the baby SEALs/Spec Ops kids. Spoiler, no matter how fit you are you look bad when you're against the 21 year olds, and they have the added bonus of they don't have injury histories and will bounce back 5x quicker

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was thinking more going from sof to 11b or 11a. You still get to play soldier instead of chipping paint.

lol if you think that's true, especially with the wars (relatively) winding down

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

maffew buildings posted:

Get with a dive motivator and get whatever paperwork you need done to go take the PST and work out with those guys. In the event you have to enlist first to get with the dive motivator, don't do that. Do you have anything legal on you that would prevent getting into OCS or joining another service? There's other options.

See if you can't take the PST and PT with the baby SEALs/Spec Ops kids. Spoiler, no matter how fit you are you look bad when you're against the 21 year olds, and they have the added bonus of they don't have injury histories and will bounce back 5x quicker

nothing should disqualify me from OCS, I'm sure I could get a commission if that's all I wanted, and hell yeah being a SEAL officer would be slick but SEAL billets are super competitive just to get orders to go to BUD/S, never mind finishing, and I'd rather be enlisted and be a SEAL than be an officer and not be one, is the thing

I'd love to do any of that stuff you suggested but I live overseas at the moment so it's not really an option

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I dunno guys there's a lot of upsides to paint, there's a lot of cool things about it people don't always talk about and when you're scraping it you get real up close and personal ya know? Expand your horizons

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

nothing should disqualify me from OCS, I'm sure I could get a commission if that's all I wanted, and hell yeah being a SEAL officer would be slick but SEAL billets are super competitive just to get orders to go to BUD/S, never mind finishing, and I'd rather be enlisted and be a SEAL than be an officer and not be one, is the thing

I'd love to do any of that stuff you suggested but I live overseas at the moment so it's not really an option

Please go prove us wrong. Come back here in 1 year and tell us all about how you were the #1 dude in BUD/S.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

maffew buildings posted:

I dunno guys there's a lot of upsides to paint, there's a lot of cool things about it people don't always talk about and when you're scraping it you get real up close and personal ya know? Expand your horizons

it tastes good

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

I gather you've already made up your mind about enlisting with a degree to become a seal and aren't actually here for advice.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your rack in the Deck berthing and the asparagus tips for the 4th day on the chow line that are just turning black at the tips but hey gently caress it they got those "sausage" pucks lol it's cool you can just sleep tomorrow when they're done PMing the cats in the middle of the night

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

DownByTheWooter posted:

I gather you've already made up your mind about enlisting with a degree to become a seal and aren't actually here for advice.

As I said I'll get all the information before I make the final decision re: enlist v. commission.

I need to get more information on before I decide.

I'm still not sure which way I'll go.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Go spend a couple years in the working world, if it turns out you hate it the Navy isn't going anywhere. Or go enlist with a fuckin' JD.

Oh cool fact, if you do get to take the PST, you're going to bomb hard the first time. You might not think that will be you, but it will be. It's everybody.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I've got a year before I need to decide anything and wasn't really interested in talking about that, I asked if anyone had been to the course because I haven't heard a first-hand account from anyone who has been more recently than like five years ago

maffew buildings posted:

Go spend a couple years in the working world, if it turns out you hate it the Navy isn't going anywhere. Or go enlist with a fuckin' JD.

Oh cool fact, if you do get to take the PST, you're going to bomb hard the first time. You might not think that will be you, but it will be. It's everybody.

I'll be 27 in a few days, once you turn 30 you can't go to BUD/S without a waiver. I have spent a few years working full-time already, though. I didn't absolutely hate it, this is just something I really want to do.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 21, 2015

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Go to the SEAL/SWCC forum, how did you decide to come here before that. We're retarded, but we're not SEAL retarded

bengy81
May 8, 2010
On the other hand, you should totally enlist with a JD. You will literally be the perfect sea lawyer. You can tell all the boots about how you know every bullshit regulation and how they could never get anything to stick to you if you go to see the old man.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

maffew buildings posted:

Go to the SEAL/SWCC forum, how did you decide to come here before that. We're retarded, but we're not SEAL retarded

I didn't? I've been there. It's good to browse but registration is broken so for the time being I can't actually ask any questions or talk to anyone there.

bengy81 posted:

On the other hand, you should totally enlist with a JD. You will literally be the perfect sea lawyer. You can tell all the boots about how you know every bullshit regulation and how they could never get anything to stick to you if you go to see the old man.

lmbo

my degree is in international law and human rights

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Your wife must be so loving stoked on you

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
yeah it owns

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

my degree is in international law and human rights

yeah enlisting (again) will be a real treat for you

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
you know in the army if you enlist on a special forces contract, you just get redesignated infantry if you wash out of SFAS

but that's because you revert to whatever your previous qualifying MOS was, and the SF enlistment pipeline starts out by having you qualify as infantry

I realise BUD/S doesn't have any such qualifier, but I assumed that if you enlisted on an SO contract you selected a rating you'd take if you didn't finish BUD/S? because if that isn't the case then there is no way I will ever enlist if I have a chance at an officer billet at BUD/S. I could probably handle being a BM or MA or something but gently caress ending up getting made to be an electrician's mate or some poo poo I will shoot myself in the head

e: rhetorical question I don't actually expect any of you to know the answer to that off the top of your heads

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

you know in the army if you enlist on a special forces contract, you just get redesignated infantry if you wash out of SFAS

but that's because you revert to whatever your previous qualifying MOS was, and the SF enlistment pipeline starts out by having you qualify as infantry

I realise BUD/S doesn't have any such qualifier, but I assumed that if you enlisted on an SO contract you selected a rating you'd take if you didn't finish BUD/S? because if that isn't the case then there is no way I will ever enlist if I have a chance at an officer billet at BUD/S. I could probably handle being a BM or MA or something but gently caress ending up getting made to be an electrician's mate or some poo poo I will shoot myself in the head

e: rhetorical question I don't actually expect any of you to know the answer to that off the top of your heads

I'm laughing my rear end off at the thought of a guy with a JD becoming a BM.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

vulturesrow posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at the thought of a guy with a JD becoming a BM.

it's more likely than me having a successful career as a legal analyst for the state department or loving whatever, I don't know what I was thinking besides "welp, I have the GI bill, might as well use it"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

my understanding is that you are sent out to the fleet, at the needs of the navy, as an undesignated seaman and then get to try and strike for a rate while doing all the worst boat bitchwork.

If you enlist for this you are a loving moron. Hedge your loving bet and try to go as an officer. Don't be a complete loving idiot

edit: striking for rate is where you go, on your off time, to learn about different departments and divisions to find out which one you want to try and learn about, and eventually they might even send you to the required 'A' school so that you can have your NEC changed. If you don't pass BUDS you'll be literally the lowest man on the totem poll on the ship, which is not where you ever want to be.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Sure, that information can't be found via web searches

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Approximately %50 of the undes SNs I stood watch with were BUDs drops who were "getting back into the program real soon".

I think I saw 1 SN from my entire AD time that actually got a ticket to go to BUDs a second time. Not saying it's impossible, but it is not likely.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Lou Takki posted:

Approximately %50 of the undes SNs I stood watch with were BUDs drops who were "getting back into the program real soon".

I think I saw 1 SN from my entire AD time that actually got a ticket to go to BUDs a second time. Not saying it's impossible, but it is not likely.

You just can't get that kind of comedy anywhere else.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I didn't even know they were allowing anyone to join 'just' for SEALS. When I went in they just tried to cherry pick dudes from boot camp who could swim or did PT good. Since I could swim good they asked me to try out like 3 loving times.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You know the SEAL/SWCC program has a recruiter number for Coronado set up to specifically answer all the questions you've asked right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

maffew buildings posted:

You know the SEAL/SWCC program has a recruiter number for Coronado set up to specifically answer all the questions you've asked right?

No, I didn't know that. I stayed up real late one time so I could call an officer recruitment office when they opened to ask for more information about the BUD/S officer pipeline and I left the CPO there my email address so he could get back to me but he never did.

• Locked thread