Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah go enlist to be a SEAL. You can do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

No, I didn't know that. I stayed up real late one time so I could call an officer recruitment office when they opened to ask for more information about the BUD/S officer pipeline and I left the CPO there my email address so he could get back to me but he never did.

Yeah go enlist to be a SEAL. You can do this.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress can you enlist once in the army, and be dumb enough to fall for the same poo poo twice with navy? Did the first go around teach you nothing? Get rid of your loving ego dude, everyone is giving you sound advice. If you don't want to listen, whatever. In the infinitesimally small chance you become a SEAL then good on you, come back and gloat about how we were all wrong. Just use some common sense and your experience with the army to make a better decision then basically loving enlisting again, needs of the navy.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

No, I didn't know that. I stayed up real late one time so I could call an officer recruitment office when they opened to ask for more information about the BUD/S officer pipeline and I left the CPO there my email address so he could get back to me but he never did.

A whole single phonecall huh? I can tell you're really cutting through all the bullshit to get the good gouge on going SEAL. I agree with maffew, you're gonna make it. Sign the contract, accelerate your life.

Edit: did you get your degree from the back of a cereal box?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If people don't enlist for SEAL, then how will the Navy keep undes numbers up?

Anyone know the actual, real percentage of undes who are drops from special programs like this? I have anecdotal experience, but I would love to see real numbers somewhere.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The real Bin Laden is still out there, it's up to you to shoot him write the book about shooting him!

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 21, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kawasaki Nun posted:

A whole single phonecall huh? I can tell you're really cutting through all the bullshit to get the good gouge on going SEAL.

uh I'm 12-16 time zones off from the US right now and I don't need to make any decisions about enlisting/commissioning for a year, it isn't exactly urgent

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

uh I'm 12-16 time zones off from the US right now and I don't need to make any decisions about enlisting/commissioning for a year, it isn't exactly urgent

Do you live overseas? I only ask since that's going to come up in your TS/SCI SSBI thingy, and it might be relevant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lou Takki posted:

If people don't enlist for SEAL, then how will the Navy keep undes numbers up?

There are plenty of patriotic Downs cases.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This dude is either a gigantic moron or just trolling.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ded posted:

This dude is either a gigantic moron or just trolling.

lol at someone in the navy thread saying it's either moronic or trolling to want to be in the navy

not "lol" as in "owned", just "lol" as in "it is funny that the US military does this to people"

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

There are plenty of patriotic Downs cases.

This begs the question, why aren't we hiring the mentally disadvantaged to do things like chipping/painting and other repetitive tasks that require a spergly amount of attention to detail.

Then I remembered, they already are, and those people are us.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

lol at someone in the navy thread saying it's either moronic or trolling to want to be in the navy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

You're up right now, why not call them?

I'm starting to think that your instincts are legit. You probably do have to choose between being a seal and being an officer, just like that one guy told you offhandedly.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You're up right now, why not call them?

because I don't have to make any decisions about enlisting/commissioning for a year

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

because I don't have to make any decisions about enlisting/commissioning for a year

lol good luck sailor

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

They'll be fine, there are recruiters, remember they legally have to tell you the truth and since they're sailors too they have your best interests at heart :)

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
WTF does anybody wanna be a SEAL anyways?
Sure you get to grow a beard and get trained to be a highspeedswatoperator killer, but short of doing 20 and writing a book or being a consultant on Fox News what real good comes from the whole thing?
EOD pretends to be all cool like SEALs, but at least they do more traditional deployments and live pretty well overseas and have it pretty chill when stateside. Divers seem to have it pretty good too and they get to wear those sexy tan shorts way more often. :gizz:
Seriously though to the wannabee-SEAL dude;
Write out a big list of why you want to be one and post it so each reason can get picked apart/critiqued...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dingleberry posted:

Sure you get to grow a beard and get trained to be a highspeedswatoperator killer, but short of doing 20 and writing a book or being a consultant on Fox News what real good comes from the whole thing?
EOD pretends to be all cool like SEALs, but at least they do more traditional deployments and live pretty well overseas and have it pretty chill when stateside. Divers seem to have it pretty good too and they get to wear those sexy tan shorts way more often. :gizz:
Write out a big list of why you want to be one and post it so each reason can get picked apart/critiqued...

Higher quality tail.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dingleberry posted:

I want to exploit the mystique of the designation to publish a highly embellished autobiography and make millions in royalties

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dingleberry posted:

When we had divers on our boat I was super jealous of them. While loud, and completely useless, they spent the majority of their time onboard burning flicks and working out shirtless. Every watch rotation I'd get to soak up all the sweet manta ray / sea turtle / shark / bubblehead tattoos they all had as they grunted and groaned on the solitary smith bench we had onboard. For these brief stints I felt like I had been transported to the navy of my dreams, surrounded by greased up 20 somethings wearing high cut shorts and no shirts, spotting each other and constantly high fiving. When I would lay in my rack for the brief 5 1/2 hours alloted for sleep I would listen to them watch family-guy and laugh and laugh and laugh, directly above my head, and I would imagine I was one of them. And I was happy, even on the boat.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 21, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I want to exploit the mystique of the designation to publish a highly embellished autobiography and make millions in royalties

Make sure a sadbrains shoots you in the head, too.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Stultus Maximus posted:

Make sure a sadbrains shoots you in the head, too.

well I sure as gently caress don't plan on being alive to see people prove I made stuff up

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

After 3 on the east coast, calling rope yarn. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here :chiefsay:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
now help me come up with a fake nickname to claim the enemy gave me to make myself sound more badass to dumb civilians

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
jody

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lmbo

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

I could probably handle being a BM or MA or something but gently caress ending up getting made to be an electrician's mate or some poo poo I will shoot myself in the head

Look, I want to enlist in the Navy for the most challenging and demanding program you have. I don't care how long the training pipeline or arduous the mission

...please please please don't make me work in engineering

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

now help me come up with a fake nickname to claim the enemy gave me to make myself sound more badass to dumb civilians

Lining up for your second enlistment. Might not wanna reach for the "dumb" stone for your first throw

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

my degree is in international law and human rights

And based on that I've decided to become a stone cold extra legal killer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DownByTheWooter posted:

Look, I want to enlist in the Navy for the most challenging and demanding program you have. I don't care how long the training pipeline or arduous the mission

A reasonable position.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

DownByTheWooter posted:

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If you're not here just to troll everyone (lol if true), what are your motivations for wanting to become a SEAL in the first place?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Lou Takki posted:

If you're not here just to troll everyone (lol if true), what are your motivations for wanting to become a SEAL in the first place?

There's several. The biggest, simplest, is that I've done two combat deployments, and during them I was, I guess not happiest, but most fulfilled on our most challenging missions. The longest patrols, the highest mountains, the most threatening terrain. I got excited when I heard something big coming up, and I always wanted more of them. I want to do that poo poo all the time. Or as much as is possible.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You want a challenge? Go chip that bulkhead full of lead paint.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I fully believe that you, guy on the internet who can't respond well to any feedback whatsoever, will excel in one of the most rigorous jobs in the military where you will be constantly under a microscope to perform and receiving feedback about what you need to do better. Wait, you're going to tell me that's different and this is just an internet comedy forum, so I tip my fedora in a jaunty fashion to you

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

There's several. The biggest, simplest, is that I've done two combat deployments, and during them I was, I guess not happiest, but most fulfilled on our most challenging missions. The longest patrols, the highest mountains, the most threatening terrain. I got excited when I heard something big coming up, and I always wanted more of them. I want to do that poo poo all the time. Or as much as is possible.

Fair enough, good luck with that!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Why don't you look into joining a PMC? if you're not in it for the service or the bennies and just want a thrill then they have a much less restrictive environment in which to get your kicks. Scumbag mercs have a 100% advancement rate and depending on the outfit you'll be sure to catch a thrill or three.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

SpaceJustice posted:

So my first week of being back in college is pretty great so far. I feel really old comparatively though (not as old as Ket though).

What.

I'm still in my 20s... for a few more months at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

maffew buildings posted:

I fully believe that you, guy on the internet who can't respond well to any feedback whatsoever

lmfao that you think this is what is happening

e: wait you don't, I am just being brutally owned by being made to believe you do, my bad

• Locked thread