Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

butterfly labs

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

This was it, thank you.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

more like dICK posted:

This was it, thank you.

tip: if you have a small board (like raspberry pi sized or so) don't pay extra for express service, they'll usually give you a free upgrade to it

got it on my last 3 orders. they might do it for bigger stuff too, idk, all I've sent over is small ones. I'd assume the smaller and more regularly sized your board is the more likely you can get it fit in

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

uncurable mlady posted:

got it on my last 3 orders. they might do it for bigger stuff too, idk, all I've sent over is small ones. I'd assume the smaller and more regularly sized your butt is the more likely you can get it fit in

text me

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
my coworker ratelimited forums.something awful.com before going to a new job and i was too stupid to figure out how

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i want to set up a repo for my lab so that everyone doesn't keep rewriting the same lovely implementation of common algorithms and we can just have a set of central "best" solutions that everyone reuses

im thinking git on a headless server is probably the best way but this is a windows lab and all my cjing experience is linux. any pos approved solutions? set up a linux git server and somehow (?) get it to work nicely with windows poo poo? is there a good set of windows tools for this stuff?

bear in mind that i basically need to set it up and have people immediately be able to use it, no way can i convince everyone to install and learn a bunch of new software. getting senior academics to use version control will be difficult enough

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

idk about pos approved version control, but if you roll with git - check out using sourcetree and a private bitbucket repo (unless you really need to host on your own)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
thanks, i'll have a look. i should have mentioned, some of the stuff will be confidential so if we're using third party hosting i'll have to get approval from on high and make sure the servers are in the same country as us and so on

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

idk about pos approved version control, but if you roll with git - check out using sourcetree and a private bitbucket repo (unless you really need to host on your own)

even if you were to go with github, sourcetree is still a good idea -- github's got a git client, but i've seen people have more problems using it than sourcetree

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

i want to set up a repo for my lab so that everyone doesn't keep rewriting the same lovely implementation of common algorithms and we can just have a set of central "best" solutions that everyone reuses

im thinking git on a headless server is probably the best way but this is a windows lab and all my cjing experience is linux. any pos approved solutions? set up a linux git server and somehow (?) get it to work nicely with windows poo poo? is there a good set of windows tools for this stuff?

bear in mind that i basically need to set it up and have people immediately be able to use it, no way can i convince everyone to install and learn a bunch of new software. getting senior academics to use version control will be difficult enough

take a look at gitorious

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

windows lab

work nicely with windows poo poo

i basically need to set it up and have people immediately be able to use it

sounds like svn would do just fine

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
dear mailserver nerds:

i'm trying to send an email to an address listed on a website (i.e. not a transcription error) and i'm getting

quote:

550 <email@domain.com> recipient rejected (in reply to RCPT TO command)

is there more meaning behind that than the obvious?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

dear mailserver nerds:

i'm trying to send an email to an address listed on a website (i.e. not a transcription error) and i'm getting

recipient typed wrong address on their website; server is down; recipients firewall is misconfigured

either of only these three, as far as i am aware

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

kalstrams posted:

recipient typed wrong address on their website; server is down; recipients firewall is misconfigured

either of only these three, as far as i am aware

oh well

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

dear mailserver nerds:

dunno about the codes but your sending server might have gotten on a blacklist. try to send from an another address.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

computer toucher posted:

dunno about the codes but your sending server might have gotten on a blacklist. try to send from an another address.

just tried it, same error :(

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

thanks, i'll have a look. i should have mentioned, some of the stuff will be confidential so if we're using third party hosting i'll have to get approval from on high and make sure the servers are in the same country as us and so on

atlassian stash would work for you imho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

use svn, don't use git. collabnet subversion edge provides a free server you can install on ur Linux and connect to your AD. It does both the repo hosting and repo management thru a web ui. users can use tortoise svn or w/e native IDE svn plugin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or I guess theres a windows version of the server which I guess makes sense cause its just a war running in jetty. use the windows version maybe.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

use svn, don't use git. collabnet subversion edge provides a free server you can install on ur Linux and connect to your AD. It does both the repo hosting and repo management thru a web ui. users can use tortoise svn or w/e native IDE svn plugin

stash connects to AD pretty painlessly

sourcetree + stash would suit your needs nicely. just make sure to get sourcetree 1.5.x, not 1.6+, and update the included git version.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you use git then git ready for users blame you after their hdd dies and all their poo poo is gone cause of local "commits"

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

if you use git then git ready for users blame you after their hdd dies and all their poo poo is gone cause of local "commits"

then u make the dumb dumbs tick the little box that says 'push changes immediately'

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i found a microsd card i havent used in probably a year but whenever i plug it into anything it just gets burn your fingers hot within like 15 sec and never mounts in anything i've tried

its not a huge deal and i just wanted to see whats on it but should i just throw it out or does anyone know whats going on with it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

i found a microsd card i havent used in probably a year but whenever i plug it into anything it just gets burn your fingers hot within like 15 sec and never mounts in anything i've tried

its not a huge deal and i just wanted to see whats on it but should i just throw it out or does anyone know whats going on with it
either contacts inside are hosed or silicon polymer that acts like a heatsink in it. if you want to try if there's any more use to it, you have to open it and see what's up, i think

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
sourcetree and stash seems to work pretty well, thank you all for your suggestions

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kalstrams posted:

either contacts inside are hosed or silicon polymer that acts like a heatsink in it. if you want to try if there's any more use to it, you have to open it and see what's up, i think

how the heck do you open a microsd card lol

i think i'll just throw it out. i had a similar thought that some contacts must have gotten bridged somehow but theres no way i'd be able to repair something like that (the contacts on the outside look fine)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there are seams. you can fingernail it or pry with a razor.
if you dgaf just bend it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you can also invest a few grand and become a sick gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jrzsaT6ls
(ok, tbf these dudes are quite cool actually)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

oh lol. those. everyone around me calls all of the sizes microsd :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i hope they got corrupted jijabits or something in their cards
anyways, technicall you can disassemble them simpler, including literally chemical dissolution of outer layer or something, but imo that's A grade fuckery that should be abandoned for any but the direst circumstances

just sd cards, and mini sd too (i think soo at least), can indeed be opened by nail clipper or something similar

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

yeah there arent any seams on a microsd card and while this

kalstrams posted:

you can also invest a few grand and become a sick gently caress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jrzsaT6ls

is cool i think throwing it out is cheaper and easier. i was just hoping someone would say "lol you idiot check the contacts again" or "you need to do a super low level format" or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kalstrams posted:

i hope they got corrupted jijabits or something in their cards
anyways, technicall you can disassemble them simpler, including literally chemical dissolution of outer layer or something, but imo that's A grade fuckery that should be abandoned for any but the direst circumstances

just sd cards, and mini sd too (i think soo at least), can indeed be opened by nail clipper or something similar

i actually have a minisd card (and a micro -> mini adapter after mini p much disappeared) for a gba flashcart but minisd doesnt have any seams either

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

"put it in the freezer" :v:

*joke advice ends up working as micro-crack shrinks closed*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

"put it in the freezer" :v:

*joke advice ends up working as micro-crack shrinks closed*

lol i'll try it its worth a shot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

is cool i think throwing it out is cheaper and easier. i was just hoping someone would say "lol you idiot check the contacts again" or "you need to do a super low level format" or something
yea, if it isnt critical, throw it out. if it is critical, it still will be cheaper to bring it to data recoverymans since issue you describe has got to be a significant hardware problem

Beeftweeter posted:

i actually have a minisd card (and a micro -> mini adapter after mini p much disappeared) for a gba flashcart but minisd doesnt have any seams either
oh, good to know. ive never held a minisd card in my hands. i dont think ive even seen anyone using them, only sd or microsd

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh i have no idea whats on it, but its probably just some old pictures or maybe some old files. if i havent used it in a long time theres a pretty good chance whatevers on it isnt worth the cost of data recovery

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

put it in your coffee grinder on the finest setting, then snort the microsd card dust to gain its knowledge

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

now i'm sort of curious if there's any imaging system that will be affected by the charge in memory cells
just snapshot the card and turn the dots into data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

now i'm sort of curious if there's any imaging system that will be affected by the charge in memory cells
just snapshot the card and turn the dots into data
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?s=microsd

DNova posted:

put it in your coffee grinder on the finest setting, then snort the microsd card dust to gain its knowledge
:2bong:

:bsdsnype: