Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Lots of IARs. I think the plan was to replace SAWs with them but because of the small clips they kept SAWs around. Still at least 1-2 per platoon

thats loving it? go from 9 to 1 or 2? who thought that was a smart idea? yea lets replace this lmg with a heavy barreled carbine and gently caress our sustained fire ability right in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

thats loving it? go from 9 to 1 or 2? who thought that was a smart idea? yea lets replace this lmg with a heavy barreled carbine and gently caress our sustained fire ability right in the rear end

dudes who carried the saw made the call. it's a bitch to carry & a even bigger bitch to clean. gently caress the saw forever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wasn't really in a real unit I'm sure in country they had a lot more. They barely started using IARs there I believe

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

dudes who carried the saw made the call. it's a bitch to carry & a even bigger bitch to clean. gently caress the saw forever.

maybe they should harden the gently caress up instead

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

give 'em 240s

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The M2 was my bitch for a long time. Miss that oval office.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Master Bateman posted:

The M2 was my bitch for a long time. Miss that oval office.
Fuckin' right

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The new one with the titanium receiver and no head space and timing were fuckin' legit.

The most legit feature of them was to send SNCOs into a frothing rage that they can't have people practice headspace and timing for the entire week anymore.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

The new one with the titanium receiver and no head space and timing were fuckin' legit.

The most legit feature of them was to send SNCOs into a frothing rage that they can't have people practice headspace and timing for the entire week anymore.

We were one of the testbed units for that. Almost every receiver cracked during burn in firing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahahahah, awesome.

Well, it looks like they fixed them, or at least good enough for us to swap one around on 3 different tanks for a gunnery.

They said it was supposed to be lighter, but it didn't feel much lighter to me.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
When the gently caress did those come out? I must have left before I ever saw them.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Started popping up in the post armory about 2 years ago I think.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

not caring here posted:

this, right? sorry, i was a nasty girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XA107LH2H4

we had a dude deglove his fingers and his battle said he was doing headspace/timing stuff. i just nodded.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I had a complete brain death moment and couldn't tell you.

Then I saw that fuckin' headspace gauge and it allll came back.

Yeah, that's it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I've heard some soldiers opt to have their sperm/eggs frozen before going to war in order to ensure that they will have kids when they come back. Does the military provide those kind of services? How would a soldier go about something like that?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Benny the Snake posted:

How would a soldier go about something like that?

I'm pretty sure you jackoff in a cup and then someone freezes it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Benny the Snake posted:

I've heard some soldiers opt to have their sperm/eggs frozen before going to war in order to ensure that they will have kids when they come back. Does the military provide those kind of services? How would a soldier go about something like that?

Are they worried they're gonna lose their junk to an IED? Or do they just want to skip the bloated angry spouse part of pregnancy?

I think most people just deposit the sperm directly into the baby hole.

Or someone else does it for them while they're deployed.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Victor Vermis posted:

Are they worried they're gonna lose their junk to an IED? Or do they just want to skip the bloated angry spouse part of pregnancy?

I think most people just deposit the sperm directly into the baby hole.

Or someone else does it for them while they're deployed.
Well I meant female soldiers, actually. Would the military provide fertility services to perserve her eggs if she was concerned about becoming infertile or otherwise incapable of carrying children due to injury on the battlefield?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Benny the Snake posted:

Well I meant female soldiers, actually. Would the military provide fertility services to perserve her eggs if she was concerned about becoming infertile or otherwise incapable of carrying children due to injury on the battlefield?

She'll probably get a few babies fired into her overseas.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Generally, no. If you have a preexisting medical condition or your Primary Care Manager writes a really good referral recommendation, you can probably get them to pay for it, but this is true of everything up to and including boob jobs. For general existential angst about deploying to a combat zone, the typical treatment is 400mg of Harden the gently caress Up. Most women worried about having babies and deploying take the easy route and get knocked up, which makes you ineligible to deploy.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dead Reckoning posted:

Generally, no. If you have a preexisting medical condition or your Primary Care Manager writes a really good referral recommendation, you can probably get them to pay for it, but this is true of everything up to and including boob jobs. For general existential angst about deploying to a combat zone, the typical treatment is 400mg of Harden the gently caress Up. Most women worried about having babies and deploying take the easy route and get knocked up, which makes you ineligible to deploy.
I seem to recall a news story a while back where (male) soldiers were having their sperm frozen before shipping off to Iraq. If I remember right, this was before or during the begining of Operation Iraqi Freedom and their fear was that the Iraqis would use the same gas that was used during the Gulf War which could cause inferitlity. Anybody remember that news item?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Separate question: how many drops does a paratrooper make on average in a single tour?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
A combat tour? Zero.

Good luck with your novel.

EDIT:

Benny the Snake posted:

I seem to recall a news story a while back where (male) soldiers were having their sperm frozen before shipping off to Iraq. If I remember right, this was before or during the begining of Operation Iraqi Freedom and their fear was that the Iraqis would use the same gas that was used during the Gulf War which could cause inferitlity. Anybody remember that news item?
Military urban legends thread is thataway.

I'm certain some people were dumb enough to believe that, but the government won't pay to freeze your jizz because you're nervous and gullible. Those guys were almost certainly paying out-of-pocket.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 21, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:lol: if you think airborne has any relevance these days.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:lol: if you think airborne has any relevance these days.
Wait so paratrooper's don't these days? If not, I'm gonna ask the military history thread then. I'm actually taking a stab at the military sci-fi genre so I'm wondering if I could base hard drops on paratrooper ones.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Benny the Snake posted:

Wait so paratrooper's don't these days? If not, I'm gonna ask the military history thread then. I'm actually taking a stab at the military sci-fi genre so I'm wondering if I could base hard drops on paratrooper ones.

There have been combat drops more recently than the Marines have done opposed amphibious landings, but both are pretty irrelevant in today's battlefield.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Stultus Maximus posted:

There have been combat drops more recently than the Marines have done opposed amphibious landings, but both are pretty irrelevant in today's battlefield.

Despite what most marines and paratroopers will tell you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

The last time the US Airborne did an opposed airdrop was in 2003, and that was only opposed in the sense that the Special Forces who actually seized the airfield opposed having to park all their helos off field so that Colonels could get DFCs and bronze stars for their jump wings.

If you're writing loving sci-fi I would stop worrying about making it realistic to modern military experiences. Unless you're going to write 100 pages about scraping carbonization out of laser guns and police calling e-cigarette butts from the dropship pad.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 21, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

^^^gently caress youuuuuuuuu

Benny the Snake posted:

Let's take a look at combat drop records:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/airborne-jumps.htm

The last static-line mass combat drop was during the invasion of Iraq, and it wasn't really into enemy held territory. Basically a way for some guys to get a combat star on their jump wings. It's just not really necessary in wars like this where we can move troops through friendly nations or ground we already hold. The only exception would be free fall operations done by special operations types, but that's not really comparable to a mass static line drop.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The only combat drop I give a poo poo about

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

^^^gently caress youuuuuuuuu

Let's take a look at combat drop records:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/airborne-jumps.htm

The last static-line mass combat drop was during the invasion of Iraq, and it wasn't really into enemy held territory. Basically a way for some guys to get a combat star on their jump wings. It's just not really necessary in wars like this where we can move troops through friendly nations or ground we already hold. The only exception would be free fall operations done by special operations types, but that's not really comparable to a mass static line drop.

It really says something about the Pentagon that during an actual real life war, they plan photo op bullshit like this so a unit can feel good about itself.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It really says something about the Pentagon that during an actual real life war, they plan photo op bullshit like this so a unit can feel good about itself.

I got bad news for you buddy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

Opposed amphibious landings are completely irrelevant. Amphibious landings are still a pretty effective way to put boots on the ground somewhere though. It's a gently caress ton cheaper than trying to fly in heavy stuff when you can just pull it off the ship you were on.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

That time of year to do my OER support form. Having trouble writing bullets points - does anyone have any good examples for an OERS for a company XO?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"Improved office efficiency by repositioning fax above paper shredder, resulting in 5000 man hours saved during FY14."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr_Ruckus posted:

That time of year to do my OER support form. Having trouble writing bullets points - does anyone have any good examples for an OERS for a company XO?

"Commander never needed a blowjob because he had me."

This was pretty much the case in my company. Our xo stayed til like 10pm every night while the commander went home to his smoking hot wife.

That I hit on at the military ball shortly before he became our commander.

• Locked thread