Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress alt history and if you like alt history then gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I just finished The Years of Rice and Salt, and it was pretty good. So gently caress me.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Sorry, is it some sort of revelation that KSR can write a good book?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Oh no, I love KSR, just responding to corn in the bible's post.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

corn in the bible posted:

Harry Turtledove rape you in a dark alley one night?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What about my alt history where gay Nazi centaurs won WWII?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Prop Wash posted:

then please see my avatar for examples

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Prop Wash posted:

I need to read this, what is it called please

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

I need to read this, what is it called please

Triumph and Tragedy by W. Churchill

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Prop Wash posted:

Dumbledore wasn't a centaur

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Dumbledore wasn't a centaur

We all do things we regret in our youth.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I haven't read his first two books but his most recent, City of Stairs, isn't much influenced by cosmic horror. It's really good though and I liked it more than American Elsewhere so I still recommend it.

Not much influenced by cosmic horror? Did you read the same book I did?

I mean, even aside from a tentacle horror containing alternate dimensions rampaging through a city you have inhuman elder gods warping reality through their mere presence. The body horror quotient is also rather high.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

then please see my avatar for examples

Well strictly speaking the gay characters weren't actually Nazis, and the centaurs were fighting something more similar to WWI.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Munin posted:

Not much influenced by cosmic horror? Did you read the same book I did?

I mean, even aside from a tentacle horror containing alternate dimensions rampaging through a city you have inhuman elder gods warping reality through their mere presence. The body horror quotient is also rather high.

I dunno man the gods seemed pretty human to me - especially since they're heavily influenced by mortal thought and expectations. The monster can also just be a weird monster with tentacles without necessarily drawing from cosmic horror.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Neurosis posted:

I dunno man the gods seemed pretty human to me - especially since they're heavily influenced by mortal thought and expectations. The monster can also just be a weird monster with tentacles without necessarily drawing from cosmic horror.

I agree completely. The "horror" is just a small part of the novel, which is mostly a mistery tale and a culture crash history.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Craig Schaefer's new book is out in the Daniel Faust series. A Plain-Dealing Villain.

Finished it last night. It's pretty damned good. I'd hold off on reading it if you haven't finished the original trilogy, because there are massive spoilers for the last couple books in there.

First book I've read in a single sitting in a long time. One of the only ones I have 5 starred as well.

Worth grabbing if you are a fan of the series, seems to be getting better with each book.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Craig Schaefer's new book is out in the Daniel Faust series. A Plain-Dealing Villain.

Oh, thank you, you just made my day. I don't know how that guy has managed to write so many books of good quality in a short time frame. I mean, the first Revanche book only came out a month ago? Two? And iirc two of the Daniel Faust books came out in 2014 as well.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Finished it last night. It's pretty damned good. I'd hold off on reading it if you haven't finished the original trilogy, because there are massive spoilers for the last couple books in there.

First book I've read in a single sitting in a long time. One of the only ones I have 5 starred as well.

Worth grabbing if you are a fan of the series, seems to be getting better with each book.

Jeez, he's a fast writer. I still haven't read The Living End yet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Oh, thank you, you just made my day. I don't know how that guy has managed to write so many books of good quality in a short time frame. I mean, the first Revanche book only came out a month ago? Two? And iirc two of the Daniel Faust books came out in 2014 as well.

I think all 3 of the Faust books came out in 14, as well as the Revanche book.

Dude can write fast.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I think all 3 of the Faust books came out in 14, as well as the Revanche book.

Dude can write fast.

That's crazy fast. He must have done some of that writing in previous years.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Just finished City of Stairs and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I guess I still like it.

I started out loving it, the setting was pretty novel and well realized and l liked the characters at first (:allears: Sigrud :allears:) but somewhere around the end of the book I just kind of...lost interest?

Shara turns into a Harry-Potter-spell-slinging-Deus-Ex-Machina with her miracles. "Oh no!, how will we get out of this one? OH! I KNOW A MIRACLE THAT WILL RESOLVE THIS!". I get that she's the most learned person regarding the history of the continent, but it was a bit much at the end.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the ending. I get that it started as a standalone book, so I suppose its to be expected that everything is wrapped up neatly, but I like SOME mystery still left in my fantasy-scifi-trash. Vernor Vinge is still the master of the good-ending (ignoring "Children of the Sky", which was rubbish). I'm kind of curious where the author can take the setting, since everything wrapped up so neatly.

I suppose delving into the one remaining mystery where the Divinities come from.

Also, more of a nag why the hell didn't Shara open the briefcases as soon as she got them? You're trying to solve the murder and here's closest you have to a lead and you IGNORE it until its convenient? I suppose she's being loyal to her Aunt and Saypur, but I just didn't buy it. .

I was all excited at first, cause I loved the setting, mystery and characters. Not happy with how it turned out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Sci Fi goons, I'm depressed. I'm really running out of good ideas for what I should read next, and have switched to trash sci-fi for my evenings' reading.

Over the past year, I read a couple of Vinge books, the Expanse series, the Old Man's War series, all the decent Hyperion books, a few Asimov (Foundation trilogy), and I've turned to the Honor Harrington series since it's fairly prolific. However, it's not terribly poignant or interesting. I like military sci-fi (I read Starship Troopers awhile back and have read some other books by Heinlein).

I think my biggest problem is that I do almost all of my reading on my iPad, so I am limited to what I can find in iBooks.

What are some other good sci fi books I can put on the list? Out of everything I've read I really enjoyed Old Man's War and the Vinge books, but I really enjoy military sci fi with political intrigue (The Expanse series was so good).

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Sci Fi goons, I'm depressed. I'm really running out of good ideas for what I should read next, and have switched to trash sci-fi for my evenings' reading.

Over the past year, I read a couple of Vinge books, the Expanse series, the Old Man's War series, all the decent Hyperion books, a few Asimov (Foundation trilogy), and I've turned to the Honor Harrington series since it's fairly prolific. However, it's not terribly poignant or interesting. I like military sci-fi (I read Starship Troopers awhile back and have read some other books by Heinlein).

I think my biggest problem is that I do almost all of my reading on my iPad, so I am limited to what I can find in iBooks.

What are some other good sci fi books I can put on the list? Out of everything I've read I really enjoyed Old Man's War and the Vinge books, but I really enjoy military sci fi with political intrigue (The Expanse series was so good).

Try this. Amazon has a sample you can read to see if you like it before you spend money.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Line-William-LJ-Galaini/dp/1481049453/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SquadronROE posted:

Only because I've just now finished another re-read: have you got Blindsight? If not then close your browser window right now and go get it. Obviously this is a common recommendation around here, but there's always somebody who doesn't know about it.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

The Dragon Never Sleeps, by Glen Cook, kicks rear end. It was reccomended earlier in this thread or the space opera one, and it's well worth it. It's sort of like Dune. If you haven't read Dune, you should read Dune. I've heard good things about Passage At Arms, also by Glen Cook.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wrote a few paragraphs about it in the Space Opera thread.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

SquadronROE posted:

There is a Kindle app which allows you to read any Kindle book from Amazon: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle-read-books-ebooks-magazines/id302584613?mt=8

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman is a pretty good one to check out, also. If you dig it Forever Peace might be worth a check out, but despite the title it is unrelated and more terrestrial focused.

I'm also partial to S. Andrew Swann's Hostile Takeover trilogy. You should be able to find all three together as an omnibus edition. It works pretty good as a standalone series, but if you want to go in chronological order there's the moreau trilogy+1 (the first three also came out as an omnibus). It's got lots of anthropomorphic animals if you're the sort of goon pathologically opposed to anything close to furries. Ditto for the final trilogy (Apotheosis) that closes the setting after Hostile Takeover.

darnon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 21, 2015

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Passage At Arms, also by Glen Cook.

VERY good. Lots of tension. For me, at least, it was a bit of a slower read than Dragon, but still very compelling.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

SquadronROE posted:

I'd recommend picking up Calibre which is a free ebook library manager, as it can convert various book formats, and (if necessary for your purposes) remove DRM, export them as .epubs, which you can then import into iBooks/iTunes and read on your iPad.

The BaenCD collections have a ton of free books that may or may not interest you; there is a fair bit of chaff, but some good ones to be found - either peruse https://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx or check the archive of CD images, legally available here.

Semi randomly, here are some of the mostly bad series which I've read, since you're reading trash sci-fi anyways!

I'd recommend Neal Asher (Polity), Tony Ballantyne (Penrose/Agency), Iain M. Banks (Culture, which unlike most of this list is really amazing), Elizabeth Bear (Wetwired, Jacobs), Greg Bear (The Way), Gregory Benford, David Brin (Uplift), Jack Cambell (The Lost Fleet, it .. is pretty cheesy.), Bertram Chandler (Grimes), C.J. Cherryh (Foreigner, Company Wars), Micheal Cobley (Humanity's Fire), Ian Douglas (Star Carrier), Greg Egan (Orthogonal), Robert L. Forward (Cheela), Gary Gibson (Shoal), Joe Haldeman (Forever War), Peter F. Hamilton (Commonwealth Saga), M. John Harrison (Light), Chris Hechtl (Wandering Author Insert Superman), Nancy Kress (Probability), Randolph Lalonde (Spinward Frindge), Ken Macleod's (Fall Revolution), Jack McDevitt perhaps, Richard K. Morgan, Frederick Pohl (Gateway I liked, the series gets kinda eeeh), Alistair Reynolds (Revelation Space), possibly Kim Stanley Robinson (if you like long winded Mars geology chat), Joel Shepherd (Kresnov), John Varley, Elizabeth Moon (Vatta's War, because you proved capable of tolerating Harrington!), Walter Jon Williams (Hardwired is cheesy but I'm a sucker for silly mil-sci-fi-opera), Connie Willis, Robert Charles Wilson (Spin), John C. Wright (he has gotten pretty crazy, but I still like his earlier stuff), Timothy Zahn (I read Quadrail, still not entirely sure why), and I'm just going to add Vernor Vinge, Olaf Stapeldon, Stanislaw Lem, William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Roger Zelazny, and Bruce Sterling as other possible entertaining authors of numerous books.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I was going to mention Calibre but was skittish about :filez:

Is it legal to remove DRM from a file you legitimately own?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

Only because I've just now finished another re-read: have you got Blindsight? If not then close your browser window right now and go get it. Obviously this is a common recommendation around here, but there's always somebody who doesn't know about it.
He said he is already depressed.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

mdemone posted:

These days, I'm not really sure one owns files they've paid for so much as a license to use said files. And I would imagine stripping DRM out would be against most licenses/terms of use.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

mdemone posted:

I was going to mention Calibre but was skittish about :filez:

Not in Canada, no. We're entitled to a backup in a usable format for personal use of any copyrighted work that has had fees paid on. It have to admit that I've not stayed on top of the ever changing copyright law, but it used to be legal to download an ePub of a book I physically owned, or a rip of a dvd that I had a VHS of.

Sharing that is a copyright violation of course. You're probably right about violating terms of use tho - if it wasn't such a problem to read a book across multiple devices I'd not bother with the hassle, but having some books that can only be read on one device, other books only on the other was driving me crazy. The only really portable format that seems to work everywhere is ePub with no DRM - which is what TOR settled on, and Baen too.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Blitter posted:

The only really portable format that seems to work everywhere is ePub with no DRM - which is what TOR settled on, and Baen too.
I thought ePUB wasn't readable on Kindle?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Barbe Rouge posted:

I thought ePUB wasn't readable on Kindle?

Seconded, my brother has to convert things to MOBI before his little Kindle can understand them.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

darthbob88 posted:

Seconded, my brother has to convert things to MOBI before his little Kindle can understand them.

Ah, yeah - I should have added that I've only used android and iOS portable devices and computers (various os's) as book readers. You can output to .mobi from Calibre and I know they support syncing with Kindle devices too (although I have no experience with that).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

epub-mobi conversion is as uncomplicated as it gets.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Looked to pick up a few books today and ran through my Amazon wishlist and ... what the heck?! The pre-order of Something Coming Through by Paul McAuley is currently $1.99 from originally $8.99.

I have no idea if this a permanent drop in price, a temporary promo discount or an error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

Looked to pick up a few books today and ran through my Amazon wishlist and ... what the heck?! The pre-order of Something Coming Through by Paul McAuley is currently $1.99 from originally $8.99.

I have no idea if this a permanent drop in price, a temporary promo discount or an error.

I haven't actually heard of him before. Is the Confluence trilogy a good place to start? Any other authors that he's particularly similar to?