Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wow, his power is that he's 5x as strong/fast/etc as a normal human! Of course that means you should run up and try to fight a virtual god in hand to hand combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Well, his name ain't "Safety".

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
That's actually in his power set slash name: he's compelled to take risks. And to be fair, in losing his first arm we never see him actually run up to Prime; he showed up with like 40 other superheroes and then when Prime snapped and started murdering and maiming it was 'panel DEAD C-LISTER, panel-DEAD C-LISTER, panel-ARM REMOVED', meaning Prime might very well have blurred over to him at super speed and done it.

Now yeah, he did charge him the second time, but by then he was too far gone down the bitterangrystupid path.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cornwind Evil posted:

Risk. That was technically two years later in a completely different crisis crossover, but yeah. The worst part for that poor guy was that first he got his arm ripped off, then he ended up on a villain team as 'the world's first white trash supervillain', then he confronted Prime again and lost the other arm....and that was his last appearance ever; he never appeared again in anything else or even got a background mention, and probably got erased with the Flashpoint reboot. Poor bastard.

I honestly hoped they would go full Black Knight on him, eventually having his head in a jar ineffectively ramming against Prime.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Either that or Jax him, two metal arms.

If he's only 5x as strong that would probably be a power boost.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Cornwind Evil posted:

That's actually in his power set slash name: he's compelled to take risks. And to be fair, in losing his first arm we never see him actually run up to Prime; he showed up with like 40 other superheroes and then when Prime snapped and started murdering and maiming it was 'panel DEAD C-LISTER, panel-DEAD C-LISTER, panel-ARM REMOVED', meaning Prime might very well have blurred over to him at super speed and done it.

Now yeah, he did charge him the second time, but by then he was too far gone down the bitterangrystupid path.

So his power set is that he is a perpetual darwin awards nominee.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Madkal posted:

So his power set is that he is a perpetual darwin awards nominee.

He's the worlds greatest backyard pro wrestler. Or Jeff Hardy whichever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jiro posted:

He's the worlds greatest backyard pro wrestler. Or Jeff Hardy whichever.

Risk vs. Superboy Prime was supposed to be a lot longer, but Risk was drugged out of his mind on the day of the fight and in no way in shape to perform, so they took him out in one panel.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gavok posted:

Risk vs. Superboy Prime was supposed to be a lot longer, but Risk was drugged out of his mind on the day of the fight and in no way in shape to perform, so they took him out in one panel.

Poor poor Sting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

That explains Superman Primes angry dad face.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Prime's gonna kill you (to death), Prime's gonna kill you (to death)...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Slowly dragging this back to badass, here's a great set of panels from the new Injustice issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nice to see the book finally jumped the shark.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Look I admit to being somewhat ignorant here but why the gently caress does Batman always need to fight Superman and somehow prove that his dick is 100000x bigger? I got it in The Dark Knight Returns but it's just such fanboy bullshit most times I see it.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Superman but fucks sake does it get lame really, really fast.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tracula posted:

Look I admit to being somewhat ignorant here but why the gently caress does Batman always need to fight Superman and somehow prove that his dick is 100000x bigger? I got it in The Dark Knight Returns but it's just such fanboy bullshit most times I see it.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Superman but fucks sake does it get lame really, really fast.

Because it's a tie-in to a video game where Superman is trying to kill Batman.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gavok posted:

Because it's a tie-in to a video game where Superman is trying to kill Batman.

I guess but for once I want Superman vs Batman to go the same way The Mountain vs Oberon did. Someones goddamn skull needs to pop and Batman actually needs to loving lose for once.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The thing is, even in the game itself, Batman doesn't think he stands a chance at fighting Superman head on, super pills or no. He goes out of his way to avoid that situation and the rebellion's plan when confronting Superman himself is a mix of buying time and getting out od dodge. Taylor's run similarly acknowledged how incredibly out of everyone's league Superman is, and why that makes his reign so terrifying.

It was nice to see Alfred beat the poo poo out of a weakened Superman with a sneak attack that one time, but that was comeuppance. This is just Batman owning that dumb jerk Superman for what seems like the millionth time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tracula posted:

Batman actually needs to loving lose for once.

They just fought for the first time in the New 52 and Batman had a power glove prepared which was packed with miniaturized suns in the knuckles.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 21, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tracula posted:

I guess but for once I want Superman vs Batman to go the same way The Mountain vs Oberon did. Someones goddamn skull needs to pop and Batman actually needs to loving lose for once.

That already happened in the series. Superman snapped Batman over his knee, Bane-style. It took Batman over a year to recover.

Hell, by the end of the issue from the above image, Superman's standing tall.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
And Superman got shot and then pushed a Guardian and a planet into the Sun, so y'know.

Also two pages later in that Injustice:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't have any problem with how that fight went, but I think Taylor's dialogue would've been more personal and less the cliched (less generously, hackneyed) "I'm a better fighter!"/"This time I'm going ALL-OUT!" stuff.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I don't have any problem with how that fight went, but I think Taylor's dialogue would've been more personal and less the cliched (less generously, hackneyed) "I'm a better fighter!"/"This time I'm going ALL-OUT!" stuff.

and therein lies the catch 22 with superman...because he IS normally always holding back.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tracula posted:

Batman more or less has to be a more skilled fighter than superman, or whats the point of him? On the other hand, you are right, its a fight thats been done to death. The obvious solution is to just not have those 2 characters fight unless the writer has something new to do/say with the fight. Unfortunately a lot of comic writers cant resist their chance to smash their inner childs action figures together and have batman win.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
We had this discussion not too long ago. The trouble with the reverse outcome is there's no tension in 'Superman vs regular human, human goes smoosh'.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Gaz-L posted:

We had this discussion not too long ago. The trouble with the reverse outcome is there's no tension in 'Superman vs regular human, human goes smoosh'.

Has this ever been an outcome in a Superman vs Batman battle? Genuinely curious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghostpilot posted:

Has this ever been an outcome in a Superman vs Batman battle? Genuinely curious.

It happened just before Infinite Crisis. Superman was mind-controlled and thought Batman was one of his villains. Batman was horribly injured, though probably not as much as he should have been.

Also, if you count it, the first issue of Irredeemable had the Batman knockoff get toasted by the Plutonian's heat vision easily.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm reading Moore's Swamp Thing right now and I made me think of you guys

Batman gets in one good sucker punch, then has his rear end handed to him and convinces the mayor to surrender to Swampy's demands

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cassa posted:

And Superman got shot and then pushed a Guardian and a planet into the Sun, so y'know.

Also two pages later in that Injustice:

"... now I'm willing to do whatever it takes!"

*punch*

edit: I'm sorry, I mean *thwak*

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

It happened just before Infinite Crisis. Superman was mind-controlled and thought Batman was one of his villains. Batman was horribly injured, though probably not as much as he should have been.

Also, if you count it, the first issue of Irredeemable had the Batman knockoff get toasted by the Plutonian's heat vision easily.

He was in a hospital bed, a paraplegic having been horribly crushed. The only reason he was ever able to keep being Batman is Wonder Woman went and got a Purple Ray to magically fix him.

Though yeah, the argument is that is probably not nearly as bad as he should have been, since it was a Superman who was mindcontrolled into thinking he was fighting Doomsday, Darksied and Brainiac all together.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Just in case anyone didn't know, the story involves Batman (and uhh, everyone else) getting Supes-equivalent super strength and endurance. That's why he's trading blows with him. He didn't just out-skill him with his mortal muscles.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Superman jobs to Batman all the time because Batman is the underdog and any other result is Batman getting instantly killed. They fight all the time because it sells.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I've come to believe that most of the 'Batman roolz, Superman drulz' mindset comes from 'I subconsciously believe that if I had the power of Superman, I would be unable to be anything like Superman, in fact I would most likely be the very opposite of Superman, and by virtue that the human brain has immense difficulty admitting fault, ergo I will come to the wrong conclusion that it is Superman that is wrong, and that he could never behave this way, ergo he is a lesser character because this leads to/justifies X/Y/Z'. It would also explain why they like Batman; Batman is 'human' and completely unfettered, which fits their lust for lack of restraint. You see the same mindset in people who want a zombie apocalypse to happen, as they think they'd be a survivor who'd now be allowed to commit mass slaughter without any guilt.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I've come to believe that most of the 'Batman roolz, Superman drulz' mindset comes from 'I subconsciously believe that if I had the power of Superman, I would be unable to be anything like Superman, in fact I would most likely be the very opposite of Superman, and by virtue that the human brain has immense difficulty admitting fault, ergo I will come to the wrong conclusion that it is Superman that is wrong, and that he could never behave this way, ergo he is a lesser character because this leads to/justifies X/Y/Z'. It would also explain why they like Batman; Batman is 'human' and completely unfettered, which fits their lust for lack of restraint. You see the same mindset in people who want a zombie apocalypse to happen, as they think they'd be a survivor who'd now be allowed to commit mass slaughter without any guilt.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of projection, honestly. The Batman>Superman idea is much more easily explained, and has been done so already on this page.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

You would be Bizarro :raise:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The reason people like Batman vs. Superman fights is because, even though we know Lex Luthor is a villain, deep down we are all more like Lex than we are like Superman and we just want to see the alien get beaten by our obvious human superiority. U.S.A.! U.S.A! HUMANS! HUMANS!

Anyway, here's another fight from the same issue of Injustice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

The reason people like Batman vs. Superman fights is because, even though we know Lex Luthor is a villain, deep down we are all more like Lex than we are like Superman and we just want to see the alien get beaten by our obvious human superiority. U.S.A.! U.S.A! HUMANS! HUMANS!

I suddenly want to know what B.O.O.M. stands for

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Big Ol' Obvious Malapropism.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

TwoPair posted:

Wisdom of Solomon: "What? No, no, you don't have to worry about the JOKER'S GIRLFRIEND pulling any misdirection tricks on you."
Captain Marvel: "Hey, thanks!"

(B.O.O.M.)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mister Mind posted:

Wisdom of Solomon: "What? No, no, you don't have to worry about the JOKER'S GIRLFRIEND pulling any misdirection tricks on you."
Captain Marvel: "Hey, thanks!"

(B.O.O.M.)

He's on Superman's side right now, so the Wisdom of Solomon seems to be taking a sabbatical anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wisdom of Solomon definitely wasn't there when he (game plot spoiler) questioned Superman's methods. Also I like how the sound effect is THOOM.