Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A semi-colon is for when you think you should use a colon but you're not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SLOSifl posted:

It's like using or misusing the word "whom". You look like an rear end in a top hat.

Knock knock
Who's there?
To
To who?
Ahem, "to whom"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Happened to me a bunch of times. One time because I actually thought about a different paper and as a nerd (who cared to properly capitalise and punctuate his Life Journal entries :argh:) stood well with teachers. All other times because one of our professors at Uni literally had dementia, but his numerous titles were too important for my department to let him go and student were encouraged to never argue with him.

I had a prof at university lose my final test and paper for his class.. I had him next semester and asked why I was showing as incomplete in his class he said I didnt take the final or hand in my paper. It was apparent he had lost them based on what his office looked like (horders from a&e piles everywhere)

"I'll look for it and see if I can find a copy on my computer, I was at the final these 3 peopel may remember me" (it was a class for a small major so we all knew each other)

Cue me spending another week writing it and making it better. I turned it in and he said he found my final

Then I got the same grade on the paper and exam entered into the system.. which I knew he didnt have my final . because I totally hosed the essay question at the end worth 30 points... like I should have gotten no . better than a 70.
^^ happened

after seeing this i then stood up on my desk and told this to my professor how dare he risk my acedemics by being so careless and losing my paper. You could hear a pin drop it got so tense... he told me he was sorry and that as long as I out effort in on the current class he'd give me a 100 for his mistake.
The whole class clapped.

^^didn't

silencekit
May 1, 2014

That professor's name? Adolf Hitler.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had an art teacher who lost one of my pieces and despite me reminding him four times during the quarter to correct what we both agreed was a mistake, he never did. He topped off the experience with losing probably the best drawing I've ever done. I at least got the grade on that one. :(

Teachers just don't give a poo poo.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Das Boo posted:

I had an art teacher who lost one of my pieces and despite me reminding him four times during the quarter to correct what we both agreed was a mistake, he never did. He topped off the experience with losing probably the best drawing I've ever done. I at least got the grade on that one. :(

Teachers just don't give a poo poo.

In English class we had "portfolios" which collected all our papers and writings from all 4 years of High School.

I think it was Junior year my teacher at the time called me into her room and let me know that she had sadly lost my portfolio and everything contained within. :v:

I didn't really give a poo poo though and in the end it didn't matter at all because we never did anything with our 'portfolios' anyways :haw:

Public school. You get what you pay for, I guess.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some teachers are good and bad and some, like my French teacher, have some big ol boobies.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
My old English teacher in middle school was full of crazy. My brother and I both had her, and for reasons I don't recall, we handed in our vacation journals for her to review, maybe for an assignment. Those journals were something our parents had us write in every time we went on a family vacation, so we had fond memories to look back on and stuff. My brother's journal contained entries from vacations from the past eight loving years. And this lady lost it. The situation was similar to tater_salad's: her home and classroom were just heaps upon heaps of students' past work, books, papers. I have never seen my mom explode at a teacher so bad.

This teacher was also a great source of stdh. She would pass around an old photograph of a lady that we were supposed to believe was her in her youth. The person in the picture was beautiful and fit. Our teacher was 5'4" and around 260 pounds with a face like a lamprey. She would wax poetic about B-list actors she slept with (to middle schoolers) and had more than a few stories of how she used to practice voodoo and get possessed by ghosts. One of the worst teachers I've ever had.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lovingly tagged with 'things that didn't happen' and 'anti-feminist circlejerk' (a surprisingly common tag on imgur):

You "wish" you made it up, huh? :allears: :allears: :allears:

Scary part is that enough people upvoted this and agreed with it for it to make the front page.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Your Computer posted:

Lovingly tagged with 'things that didn't happen' and 'anti-feminist circlejerk' (a surprisingly common tag on imgur):

You "wish" you made it up, huh? :allears: :allears: :allears:

Scary part is that enough people upvoted this and agreed with it for it to make the front page.

Hmm, believable yeah.

tbh while these lovely stories often make it to the imgur front page, they are often p good at tagging them to identify them as the poo poo they certainly are.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

kinmik posted:

This teacher was also a great source of stdh. She would pass around an old photograph of a lady that we were supposed to believe was her in her youth. The person in the picture was beautiful and fit. Our teacher was 5'4" and around 260 pounds with a face like a lamprey. She would wax poetic about B-list actors she slept with (to middle schoolers) and had more than a few stories of how she used to practice voodoo and get possessed by ghosts. One of the worst teachers I've ever had.

Your teacher might have been lovely once. Still doesn't excuse her mishandling your things.

More teacher stuff:

quote:

Oh, Brother…
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL | SELMA, AL, USA | FAMILY & KIDS, LANGUAGE & WORDS, PARENTS
(My five-year-old son has just started kindergarten. Because he was a preemie and is tiny for his age he is somewhat spoiled. The phone rings on his first day of class and I have been expecting a call related to him not sharing. This is the conversation with his teacher:)

Me: “Hello?”

Teacher: “May I speak to Mrs. [My Name]?”

Me: “This is she.”

Teacher: “Mrs. [My Name], you need to talk to your son!”

Me: “About…?”

Teacher: “His words!”

Me: *thinking he said something rude* “Okay, what did he say?”

Teacher: “He said SIBLING!”

Me: “I’m sorry, what did you say he said?”

Teacher: “He said the word ‘sibling’ and he cannot POSSIBLY know what that means!”

Me: “Why don’t you go ASK him if he knows what it means?”

Teacher: “No! You need to talk to him!”

Me: “No, I don’t think so. I think you need to go back to the classroom and ask my son what the word ‘sibling’ means.”

Teacher: “Well, even if he does, the other kids don’t and it is rude!”

Me: “If you think the word sibling is rude, perhaps you should re-evaluate your career options!”

(For the record, my son not only knew what it meant, but a whole lot of other words that she found to be unacceptable in a five-year-old!)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

Your teacher might have been lovely once. Still doesn't excuse her mishandling your things.

More teacher stuff:

At a fourth of July party at a friend of mine's house a few years ago one of my friends made a slightly off color joke and the four year old girl there said "mom that's a double entendre!" and her mom said "yes it is." kids can be smart if you teach them. v:shobon:v

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Khazar-khum posted:

Me: *thinking he said something rude* “Okay, what did he say?”
Teacher: “He said SIBLING!”
Me: “I’m sorry, what did you say he said?”
Teacher: “He said the word ‘sibling’ and he cannot POSSIBLY know what that means!”

What actually happened: Me recently learned what the word 'sibling' means and wants to brag about it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Is that even a fancy word? :shrug: why not use serendipity or sth like that.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Fathis Munk posted:

Is that even a fancy word? :shrug: why not use serendipity or sth like that.

Because these are the same people who think "whine" is spelled with a "g", the correct usage of there, their, and they're is completely arbitrary, "could have" is "could of", and ironic is the same thing as sarcastic.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Marley Wants More posted:

Because these are the same people who think "whine" is spelled with a "g", the correct usage of there, their, and they're is completely arbitrary, "could have" is "could of", and ironic is the same thing as sarcastic.

W... Where would you even put a g in whine :confused:

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Whinge.

I know, I know....

Edit: Actually I just Googled "whinge" to see how often idiots spell it that way, and apparently whinge is actually a word. I guess I'm the idiot.

Marley Wants More has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Jan 22, 2015

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fathis Munk posted:

W... Where would you even put a g in whine :confused:

Whinge? Only thing I can think of.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

some oval office posted:

The 2 star walked in the room and shook everyone's hand. He said it was great to be here, in which I replied "Generally speaking." The room got quiet, noticed everyone was about to tear my head off, then he busted up laughing. Overall a good day!

It's not even a joke!

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Marley Wants More posted:

Edit: Actually I just Google "whinge" to see how often idiots spell it that way, and apparently whinge is actually a word. I guess I'm the idiot.

Haha holy poo poo, I thought you were joking :v:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Whinge is far far more common than whine, here in arrrland at least

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Khazar-khum posted:

More teacher stuff:

quote:

Oh, Brother… 
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL | SELMA, AL, USA | FAMILY & KIDS, LANGUAGE & WORDS, PARENTS

Found your problem.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

EmmyOk posted:

Australia also.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Khazar-khum posted:

More teacher stuff:

I don't think my mom ever got a phone call about it, but I used to get weird reactions like that from teachers because I was kind of a bookworm and knew words I "shouldn't." Nothing bad, it just wasn't what they were used to and weirded them out I guess.

I've been told that when I started kindergarten, the teacher was really suspicious about the fact that I had learned to read already like it was bad thing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

razorrozar posted:

Whinge? Only thing I can think of.

Haha yeah whinge came to my mind to but I figured "nah he can't mean that, that's another word ... Wghine ? :shrug:"

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kimmalah posted:

I don't think my mom ever got a phone call about it, but I used to get weird reactions like that from teachers because I was kind of a bookworm and knew words I "shouldn't." Nothing bad, it just wasn't what they were used to and weirded them out I guess.

I've been told that when I started kindergarten, the teacher was really suspicious about the fact that I had learned to read already like it was bad thing.

Kids who talk like adults tend to be unexpected, and require a quick readjustment of mental circuitry to deal with. Some people aren't good at that readjustment, especially if they deal with hundreds of kids daily who don't talk like adults.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
"Whinge" is p typical outside North America, where we say "whine". I don't like the former either but I've gotten used to it.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Both my husband and best friend are from England and yes, whinge is their version of whine. Also this for a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFANzZTdYM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
'Winge', especially being more of a UK term, just makes me think of 'Minge', which is... not what I want to be thinking about.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Testekill posted:

Australia also.

You didn't throw off the yoke of your English oppressors soon enough.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Digital posted:

You didn't throw off the yoke of your English oppressors soon enough.

They were too busy whingeing to do anything about it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

spincube posted:

They were too busy whingeing to do anything about it

No, we were busy bombing innocents

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

No, we were busy bombing innocents

Yeah, the US got to that part a bit late to the game. But we more than made up for lost time.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I know that some teachers prefer kids to be a relatively clean slate when it comes to any kind of learning because sometimes parents teach things in a backwards kind of way, or teach incorrect pronunciations. My sister dislikes getting the "well-read" kids too because they apparently are really snotty during class about things they already know, which can be disruptive. I learnt to read two years early though so I can't complain.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Roro posted:

I know that some teachers prefer kids to be a relatively clean slate when it comes to any kind of learning because sometimes parents teach things in a backwards kind of way, or teach incorrect pronunciations. My sister dislikes getting the "well-read" kids too because they apparently are really snotty during class about things they already know, which can be disruptive. I learnt to read two years early though so I can't complain.

I still remember freshman philosophy because one of the Honor's students said on the first day that he had already read all important philosophical works, and then the day after the first exam he dropped the class.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

'Winge', especially being more of a UK term, just makes me think of 'Minge', which is... not what I want to be thinking about.

You a poofter or a nonce or something mate?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Gluten shaming--stdh

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/gluten-free-alcohol

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

If you're gluten free, fine whatever. But people will make fun of you. Figure out what you can eat and drink and ask for it directly if you can't handle Mr. Burnsian liquor store employees owning the hell out of you.

Also, man, people complain about vegans, but gluten weirdos are a million times more annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

david... posted:

You a poofter or a nonce or something mate?

Nah, I just.. I dunno. I always think "minge" refers to like hairy old lady bush, right? Its not like sexy lady bits.

• Locked thread