Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Waffleman_ posted:

These MaxFun ads need to learn from the Brothers' dynamite advertising skills and start talkin' about balls!

The McElroys can advertise anything but themselves. No, Justin, at this moment you are decidedly not beloved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I've been skipping the parts with ads for a while. Sorry but as much as I love the brothers I'm just not going to sit there and listen to like 8-10 minutes of paid advertisements and awkward personal shutouts and inside jokes.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

VDay posted:

I've been skipping the parts with ads for a while. Sorry but as much as I love the brothers I'm just not going to sit there and listen to like 8-10 minutes of paid advertisements and awkward personal shutouts and inside jokes.

You're a busy man. Podcasts don't laugh at themselves.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
MBMBaM is actually the only podcast where I won't skip the ads, or more specifically The Money Zone. I'll skip past the ones for other shows because they're typically awful, but The Money Zone is pretty genuinely entertaining because they're pretty much allowed to do whatever so long as the hit a few key talking points. At least that weird loan site is gone now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd typically skip ads at the end and beginning of podcasts but MBMBaM is just clever enough to make the Money Zone a short intermediary segment so usually I'm just like "Eh why bother, it'll be over or off into a tangent in a couple secs anyway."

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just ordered the naturebox free trial so I guess the advertisers won

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

VDay posted:

That's fine, as long as once you're done you think back and wonder if you heard the joke that the whole episode is named after. If not, maybe go back and give it a listen.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The personal ads are usually pretty bad. I only recently started listening though and I've been working through the archives and I'm currently in what I guess I'll call the Extreme Restraints Dot Com Era which is just magical. Them trying to do a family friendly extremerestraints.com ad for Candlenights was one of the funniest bits I've heard so far.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 22, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fellatio del Toro posted:

The personal ads are usually pretty bad. I only recently started listening though and I've been working through the archives and I'm currently in what I guess I'll call the Extreme Restraints Dot Com Era which is just magical. Them trying to do a family friendly extremerestraints.com ad for Candlenights was one of the funniest bits I've heard so far.

THIS IS NOT FOR BUTTS DON'T USE IT ON YOUR BUTT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The main reason the personal ads are bad is because everybody keeps forcing the brothers to spout off their dumb inside jokes and it's always clear that they never know what to do with them.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

There were a pretty good couple of personal ads a dozen episodes ago where it seemed like 2 or 3 people were just communicating single sentences through them that was pretty funny I thought. One of them was like "Want to play Diablo?" or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 'hit me up on my mobile' and 'wanna play diablo later' were the peak of the messages.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yo the little Grinch bit from this week's episode had me screaming in my car it was perfectly delivered.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
They should go back to jingles

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Son of a bitch they're gonna do a live big gulp in LA god damnit

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Grondoth posted:

They're not allowed to, too many people died last time.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Yeah... They have to record it, right? Right!?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I love the understated, just straightforward way Justin goes "I don't want to talk about vore."

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I don't skip ads during podcasts because what the hell podcast app are you using where there's a "skip ad" button

I can't be assed to try to press the progress bar at exactly 45 seconds ahead of my current point of whatever

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

quadrophrenic posted:

I don't skip ads during podcasts because what the hell podcast app are you using where there's a "skip ad" button

I can't be assed to try to press the progress bar at exactly 45 seconds ahead of my current point of whatever

Comedy Bang Bang's are like exactly 90 or 120 seconds long, and PocketCasts (and like every other podcast app) has a "skip 30 seconds ahead" button, so I skip those.

The only problem I have with MBMBaM's ads are that they're one long segment in the middle of an already short show. I don't know how to fix it, though - splitting it in half would breakup the flow of the show even further, and the show just isn't long enough to support multiple breaks. I guess what I'm saying is the show should be longer if they're going to have as many ads as they do. And, in general, the show should be longer :colbert:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

quadrophrenic posted:

The money zone is like a 10 minute segment in the middle of the episode. It's pretty easy to jump ahead.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
I usually don't skip ahead because I kind of tune out and halfway through I'll be laughing at it and then realize they are still ostensibly doing an advertisement. I also listen to Nerd Poker and, comparing Brian Posehn speaking for 30 secs in brutal monotone, I'd take an hour of MBMBaM ads over that any day.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
I only skip the awful Maximum Fun ads and those are usually short enough that one or two presses of the skip button will do it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Max fun ads are always 30 seconds. Easy to skip. The money zone is usually just as funny as the rest of the podcast so I like listening to it. Plus it's really hard to skip since it's really variable in length. Anyway, the brothers are two for two with amazing Grinch jokes in the last few episodes.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I usually don't skip ahead because I kind of tune out and halfway through I'll be laughing at it and then realize they are still ostensibly doing an advertisement. I also listen to Nerd Poker and, comparing Brian Posehn speaking for 30 secs in brutal monotone, I'd take an hour of MBMBaM ads over that any day.

I like to imagine he reads ads in the same exact tone of voice he used to read book reports in front of the class, I love it.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Now, I have never listened to Nerd Poker Night or whatever, but isn't Brian Posehn's entire schtick being brutally monotone all the time?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"We all have those wild college stories :thumbsup: "
:lol:
I just don't wish people happy birthday on Facebook because it's meaningless and perfunctory and you're just like a Happy Birthday!!! in a sea of hundreds of Happy Birthday!!!s. if it's someone I actually care about I'll have wished them happy birthday in real life at some point.

edit:
where does Max Fun get the personnel for their new shows because they all sound like the exact same unfunny "quirky" people, it's hard to describe (the whitest people on earth?). FUND THIS KICKSTARTER FOR THIS SHOW WHERE WE EAT THINGS LOL :10bux:
is there a factory somewhere?

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 26, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Captain Internet posted:

Now, I have never listened to Nerd Poker Night or whatever, but isn't Brian Posehn's entire schtick being brutally monotone all the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=285aPUdsWTg
Not really? His whole thing is that he's an aging metal nerd. He used to be typecasted as a monotone nerd on sitcoms, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPC7MkLfDwg

I have a weakness for bracy nerd voices.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

where does Max Fun get the personnel for their new shows because they all sound like the exact same unfunny "quirky" people, it's hard to describe (the whitest people on earth?). FUND THIS KICKSTARTER FOR THIS SHOW WHERE WE EAT THINGS LOL :10bux:
is there a factory somewhere?

I believe it's called Los Angeles.
Honestly I didn't find the Brian and Lindsey ad particularly objectionable, seemed like a fairly straightforward pitch to me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I believe it's called Los Angeles.

No that's just full of assholes. You're thinking of San Francisco.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

VDay posted:

No that's just full of assholes. You're thinking of San Francisco.

I am a snarky 30 something and I've got a highly produced opinion about pop culture complete with communications degree and a lot of experience in college radio/the night shift of a ClearChannel top 40's station. I have become MaxFun.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think I'd be more inclined to check out some of the other MaxFun podcasts if maybe they played a sample clip or something. Most podcasts are just kind of conceptually narcissistic so there's really no way to spin "me and my friends thought our conversations were worth recording and sharing with the world" without making it sound terrible. Unless you're already famous or it's some sort of high-concept podcast there's pretty much no way I'm going to listen to your poo poo based on just your own description.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm a big Jesse Thorn supporter, but he's really not killing it with the kickstarters. 1000 Cones barely squeaked through, Make Your Thing failed, and #TotesEat seems to be struggling. It's really hard to imagine Brian & Lindsay Will Totally Eat That having any utility in an universe where MATES exists.

I think I'm actually on board with Pop Rocket, for now. But my podcast queue is up at the limit such that every add probably requires taking something else off, unless I plan on spending an entire day every week washing dishes.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Captain Internet posted:

I am a snarky 30 something and...

Whatever podcast it was advertising on mbmbam that used this exact combination of words to describe themselves, just yikes.

Regarding podcast sponsors - I hope mbmbam does some thinking about how much time they spend on sponsors, self promotion(live shows) and signing off at the end of each episode. I used to consider the money zone part of the content, but not anymore. It doesn't matter what funny voices you put on, shady sounding lending websites and naturebox are always going to be a 5 minute slog to sit through. The meundies personal promotion style adds are feeling increasingly slimey as time goes on.

It's gotten to the point where some episodes are 20 minutes of goofs followed by a 40 minute block of adds and administrative announcements where they might fit in one or two emails in there.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I bet they done some serious thinking! And they probably came to conclusion that making money off the show is better than not making money off the show. It's also been the deal for like 3 years so if you've stood it this long I don't know what's changed to make it any worse now. The format of the show has been pretty much unchanged for 200+ episodes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope they do some real thought and decide to agree with me that they should make no money and stop doing funny ads because I'm a paranoid weirdo who thinks underwear ads are slimy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The underpants are pretty nice.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just miss that one website full of dildos n poo poo and funny secret codes. I can't believe I don't remember its name considering how long they were a loyal and hilarity-inducing MBMBAM sponsor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
They're all married now so their underwear probably isn't slimey anymore.

• Locked thread