Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Unfortunately it appears the Z31 one is internally regulated, unlike the old Z-cars.

Note that when you're having it rebuilt sometimes the shop will also rewind it to increase the capacity. But this probably costs more than just farting in a new voltage regulator and bearings.

And brushes!!!!

Yeah I'd just throw in some new parts and call it good, if you can't find a junkyard one for less than the parts to do it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

IIRC They were something like 80amp from the factory so there is no real need to upgrade it.

So how was the belt wrong? Just the length?

E: I don't think firecock is up to rebuilding his alternator himself at this point.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

E: I don't think firecock is up to rebuilding his alternator himself at this point.

I think it was the length. Also, so SO very much this. Although an Alternator rebuild isn't out of the question with some measure of guidance, I can and will gently caress it up entirely by myself, and just finding a new alternator is probably a much better option.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

IIRC They were something like 80amp from the factory so there is no real need to upgrade it.

So how was the belt wrong? Just the length?

Sounds like it had this kind of belt:

when it should have had this kind of belt:

... or vice-versa

because the PO installed a different pulley from the original stock one, and the shop had blindly installed one meant for the original pulleys.

e: or not, maybe it was just the length.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I think it was the length. Also, so SO very much this. Although an Alternator rebuild isn't out of the question with some measure of guidance, I can and will gently caress it up entirely by myself, and just finding a new alternator is probably a much better option.

You are better of just buying a rebuild from oriellys or similar. Autozone alternators Are poo poo 94% of the time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Sounds like it had this kind of belt:

when it should have had this kind of belt:

... or vice-versa

because the PO installed a different pulley from the original stock one, and the shop had blindly installed one meant for the original pulleys.

e: or not, maybe it was just the length.

If that's the case, he needs a new shop. It would look wrong and feel wrong; I think even SF himself would know something was wrong if he tried to install the wrong belt. Wrong width or length makes sense.

SouthsideSaint posted:

You are better of just buying a rebuild from oriellys or similar. Autozone alternators Are poo poo 94% of the time.

Like I said, junkyard! Get an OEM one for pennies. Plenty of 80s and 90s Nissans around, although I don't know which ones have the right plug-n-play alt.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 21, 2015

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Raluek posted:

If that's the case, he needs a new shop. It would look wrong and feel wrong; I think even SF himself would know something was wrong if he tried to install the wrong belt. Wrong width or length makes sense.

Like I said, junkyard! Get an OEM one for pennies. Plenty of 80s and 90s Nissans around, although I don't know which ones have the right plug-n-play alt.

Surprisingly many, actually. There's a number of potential swaps, including Maximas, 350z's, and Titans.

My original plan was to install a Nissan Titan Alternator.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Surprisingly many, actually. There's a number of potential swaps, including Maximas, 350z's, and Titans.

My original plan was to install a Nissan Titan Alternator.

Well, a Titan seems like it's way too new to be in a junkyard, but there's plenty of 80s and 90s Altimas, Maximas, and Sentras clogging the place up. So if any of those work, that would be my go-to. Plus, you can figure out how it comes apart on the junkyard car, so when you do yours you know where all the bolts go.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.xenonz31.com/maximaalt.html

That seems pretty straight forward, give it a quick read. I have no idea what your turbo set up is at this point though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Well, a Titan seems like it's way too new to be in a junkyard, but there's plenty of 80s and 90s Altimas, Maximas, and Sentras clogging the place up. So if any of those work, that would be my go-to. Plus, you can figure out how it comes apart on the junkyard car, so when you do yours you know where all the bolts go.

Yeah around Chicago the junkyards don't have a lot of z cars anymore. But shitloads of other nissans. Sperg if you wanna go junkyarding let me know. I'm dying to abuse an engine bay.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Worst case scenario, if we don't find any Nissan Titans, 350zs, or other easily slapped in part, Titan alternators are surprisingly cheap on RockAuto, just about 40 bucks more than the 300ZX stock alternator with 60 more Amps.

We'd need to change the pulley on it, but that shouldn't be too dire of a task, should it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Worst case scenario, if we don't find any Nissan Titans, 350zs, or other easily slapped in part, Titan alternators are surprisingly cheap on RockAuto, just about 40 bucks more than the 300ZX stock alternator with 60 more Amps.

We'd need to change the pulley on it, but that shouldn't be too dire of a task, should it?

Yeah, but a pick-n-pull alternator would be under $40 total. $32 plus tax at my local one. And it's always better to get a junkyard OEM one than a lovely parts store rebuild, IMO. Unless the parts store rebuild is really, really cheap. I put in a Baxter rebuild once because it was cheaper than the voltage regulator my OEM one needed, and I didn't have a ride to the pick n pull.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Meh, I've had mixed luck with Pick and Pulls. Somethings been sitting outside for an indeterminate amount of time isn't necessarily anything fantastic. Besides, there is no guaranteeing it's going to be an OEM part and not a rebuild on the donor vehicle either.

Heck, we don't even know the alternator on spergcocks Z31 is original. For all we know, it's a 30 year old car and the PO loved to do modz so who knows what it is. That could be part of the reason why the belt never fit.

I like the local auto electric shop idea, old guy on the corner probably missing a few teeth, still smokes while he works but cares about his job.

But a quality reman unit like a Bosch might be reasonable too at a jobber so :shrug:

quote:

No, but you need to keep it from spinning when you loosen the nut. An impact makes this miles easier than jamming something into it while reefing on it with a ratchet.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Most bosch products ive dealt with except there injectors are poo poo. And we are near a major bosch factory. Im down to go junkyard hunting for an oem upgrade. Just get your car running and we can hit up some of the local junkyards.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I would find an OEM, buy the one for your car on rockauto, or get yours rebuilt. I have no idea what the Titan alternator requires to fit on your car (and it sounds like you don't either) so it could be much more complicated than your skills allow at this point. Some use the alternator for the belt tensioner and the mounting holes for it may not be the same as for your engine.

However, if it's a common upgrade according to Zbros on the model specific forum and well documented on what you need to do, then by all means go for it. Otherwise don't start out trying to make your life harder than it needs to be.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
It is apparently a very well-documented thing. I got the idea from a link a few pages back which is a complete guide to how to do the swap, and what (very minor) modifications you need to do for it to be a perfect replacement.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My experience of most cars is that they'll try to keep the (expensive) alternator a common component, and vary the (cheap) brackets and mounts to make it fit different things.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
so I checked it out and doesn't look hard to do at all. The hardest part will be getting the alternators out. also may have to modifiy the bracket a little...no biggie. so this sunday maybe we can find a titan that was wrecked..or find any of the other options they list on the z forums. because with the e fans and who knows what other PO fuckery you need more POWAHHHH!!!!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
double post but.......Victory auto wreckers has a 300zx.....we need to gooooooo!!!!!!!!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
gotcha, we can go there

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Update: Got a free quote about some rust removal on my car at the local Gerber, because as an Enterprise employee, I get a pretty beefy discount at them.

Bad news is, we found some pretty major frame rust on the underside of the car, where the PO had said, "oh yeah minor rust issue".

As much as I'm sure everyone is screaming at me, "DUMP IT NOW AAAAAAAAAAAA", I want to see if:

A: There is a chassis shop nearby.

B: How much it would cost to recover that sort of thing.

I understand that most of you can probably just weld on a new frame no problem in your sleep, but I am not one of those people, and I have even less experience in welding or frame repair than I do with cars in general.

So, thankfully, I have a relatively large check coming in from the Navy, 'cause dis gon' be a doozy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Pretty sure these cars are unibody so they don't actually have a frame. Did they show you where the rust was at? If there's a lot of rust in the rockers or the floorpans it's probably best to cut your loses at this point.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
It's a long strip underneath the car itself, but it's not on the floorboards.

I'll have to catch a picture of it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I suggest you use that big Navy money for a car that isn't a 1986 poorly turbo'd 300ZX

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If this car is rotten, you need to ditch it ASAP. You'll pay multiple thousands to get it fixed, if it even can be. Run.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'll take a better look and pictures when I can get under the car to figure it out. From pictures of the undercarriage of the Z31, that MAY be the exhaust stuff that's rusty, and not the actual frame of the vehicle.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Would be pretty funny if it was just the exhaust hangers. Also buy some ramps so it takes like 2 minutes to get under your car to do anything not requiring jack stands.

so instead of

when I can get under the car to figure it out

it's whenever you feel like getting under the car

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Extra posted:

Would be pretty funny if it was just the exhaust hangers. Also buy some ramps so it takes like 2 minutes to get under your car to do anything not requiring jack stands.

I actually got those!

I really hope it's just the exhaust hangers. That'd be like "WHEW DISASTER AVERTED, FULL SPEED AHEAD".

Setting up the ramp and driving up it to inspect more closely now.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
And he was never heard from again :ohdear:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Eaten by rust demons, aka spiders.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Astonishing Wang posted:

And he was never heard from again :ohdear:

Set the parking brake and chock the non-ramped wheels!!!!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

I dunno. :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
time to sell it.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Run away from this mess

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sell.

Also: Notice the two barely threaded in bolts hanging to the right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yup that's bad.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Dammit, I wish I didn't have to, but that's a gently caress-ton of rust.

As much as it kills me, there's a guy down the street at Steak & Shake that might give me a solid $4000, maybe $4500 for it, and there's an N/A one out in Northwestern Indiana (same color, same year, good shape) that is going for 2500, which I can do right by instead of the hackjob that was done on this.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dammit, I wish I didn't have to, but that's a gently caress-ton of rust.

As much as it kills me, there's a guy down the street at Steak & Shake that might give me a solid $4000, maybe $4500 for it, and there's an N/A one out in Northwestern Indiana (same color, same year, good shape) that is going for 2500, which I can do right by instead of the hackjob that was done on this.

You won't regret it. Just make sure you bring someone to really inspect it, or bring it to a mechanic before buying.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Dude let the sucker have it.

Not just rust, thats STRUCTURAL.

E: want a Z31 that bad? sell that one, Fly to the SW and buy one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Wow, that's not good at all.

• Locked thread