Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

DarkRider09 posted:

Also, what's the deal with mcmagic and this tournament. I missed something somewhere.

It stemmed from an elaborate discussion of whether or not Chains of Mephistopheles is a terrible card in Jund. Big Anime Fan Here challenged mcmagic to a throwdown with their posting privileges at stake. Mcmagic never accepted to the challenge and it quickly morphed into an all out goon-down.

kizudarake posted:

We'd have to figure out the best way to record it. I have access to one of those Microsoft headphone/mic things that plugs into USB, maybe. Also, if the non-commentated matches go up on YouTube, I could stream it on my ps4 for me, and we could somehow record a party chat.

I'm sure we can find a way to record commentary. I think it'd be cool if we have access to a mumble channel or something of the like - we could set up a room with one of those "watch the same video with your friends" chat room things (I don't even remember the site for any of these) and sit in mumble for live commentary and just record the whole thing.

Lonely Bridge fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

gang sines posted:

yeah true netcat you're in

You just don't want me trying to make 27 swamps, 27 islands, 4 copies of treasure hunt, and two of Zombie Infestation work. :clint:

Also, can the loser gangtag include "(still better than MCMAGIC?)"

And MCMAGIC passed because he's a bigger pussy than Belladonna's.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 21, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

DarkRider09 posted:

Also, what's the deal with mcmagic and this tournament. I missed something somewhere.

McMagic is the man who posted an opinion so wrong it caused a 40-person Legacy tournament. :911:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

kizudarake posted:

You just don't want me trying to make 27 swamps, 27 islands, 4 copies of treasure hunt, and two of Zombie Infestation work. :clint:

Also, can the loser gangtag include "(still better than MCMAGIC?)"

you should have just posted the list ! ! !

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

gang sines posted:

you should have just posted the list ! ! !

I was joking. I wanted Netcat to get a shot.

It does have the 54 best cards in magic, though.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

McMagic is the man who posted an opinion so wrong it caused a 40-person Legacy tournament. :911:

Gang sines, can you put this at the top of the OP? Lmao.

Mcmagic is still safe to buy/sell cards with, for the record.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

always be closing posted:

done!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DarkRider09 posted:

Basically, mcmagic regularly lost unlosable matchups while playing Jund and quit playing it because he refused to change anything in his deck (even though the deck is fine against UR without any changes.) He made such bold claims as BBE being the best card in the deck (it's probably the worst) and Chains of Mephistopheles being a bad card. Another argument made was that changing your deck to fit the meta made your deck worse because ???

Literally every single person that chimed in told him he was wrong, but he wouldn't have any of it because the results for several 2-year-old tournaments didn't have many copies of Chains in the winning Jund decks (because everyone owns copy of a $300 card that is in no way necessary to playing the deck) or something. I kinda stopped paying attention or caring towards the end. I even posted a link with Reid "top 2 players in the world" freaking Duke saying how good the card is, but that still wasn't good enough.

Tl;dr: mcmagic went overboard on his "terrible Magic player" persona and we all called him on it. BAFH really called him on it, and now we have the First Annual mcmagic Memorial Tournament. It's all in the eternal megathread if you go back a few pages. It started with mcmagic saying he can finally play Jund again and Partial Octopus and I telling him Jund was always viable.

LordSaturn posted:

This post. :allears:

Edit: screw it; I didn't feel like winning anyway. Sign me up for Jund WITH sideboard Chains. I'm pretty sure there are like 2 decks that have been posted that I can actually beat.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 21, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Yeah, I've never seen a bad deal mcmagic's been involved in. He's just the player equivalent to the guy at your LGS that you have to explain that sorceries aren't instants 4 times per game to.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: screw it; I didn't feel like winning anyway. Sign me up for Jund WITH sideboard Chains. I'm pretty sure there are like 2 decks that have been posted that I can actually beat.
Be a man! Maindeck those chains! Make brainstorm users suffer.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Be a man! Maindeck those chains! Make brainstorm users suffer.

Chains and Sylvan Library is some powerful synergy...

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

What, you don't like library making you discard three times? wuss.

I am debating between storm and big red. I have a lot more experience playing ANT/TES, but on the other hand I've always liked big red, and it seems to have less representation here right now.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 21, 2015

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

gang sines posted:

yeah true netcat you're in

Yay time to brew.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Play an opalesence deck that beats people to death with leylines and chains of mephistopheles.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
if anyone wins through chains beatdown they will get a special prize

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I guess worldgorger is still banned on xmage so you can't play legacy games with it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

gang sines posted:

if anyone wins through chains beatdown they will get a special prize

Brb, updating my list to include Chains SB.

netcat posted:

I guess worldgorger is still banned on xmage so you can't play legacy games with it.

I think you can just play the match as Casual or whatever?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

Brb, updating my list to include Chains SB.

I think you can just play the match as Casual or whatever?

I looked for some kind of freeform format but only found regular ones.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If you want to play some nonsupported deck, see if you opponent would be down to meet you in workstation or cockatrice and just do all the motions manually

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I played around with XMage some more and still can't see any cards over 6, which is kind of important when I have Griselbrand in play. I guess I'll just leave this until I get back home to my big monitor on Saturday.

Everyone else who is playing on a laptop though, you might want to try a test game to see if you have the same issue.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I can't manage to connect to localhost to goldfish decks vs. AI for whatever reason. I know this worked when I tried it the last time

e: no wait it worked but the client said it didn't.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I thought part of deck registration was to make sure it worked in xmage? :shrug:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I'll play this list of ANT http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/259577#online

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

odiv posted:

I played around with XMage some more and still can't see any cards over 6, which is kind of important when I have Griselbrand in play. I guess I'll just leave this until I get back home to my big monitor on Saturday.

Everyone else who is playing on a laptop though, you might want to try a test game to see if you have the same issue.

I had this issue as well. In Preferences, the very first option in the Main tab is "Use big images." Turning that off made it so I could see my whole hand, and apparently there's a scroll bar under your hand but I haven't had more than I could see with that toggled off so I'm not sure.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I don't have card images and that setting seemed to do nothing that I could tell. Maybe I need to change it and then restart. I'll look for the scroll bar. It'd be nice if I could just get a column of the card names and CCs. That wouldn't take up much space.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
OK here's my dumb deck. Since I was originally going for dragon combo I wanted to have some other gimmicky deck. I was honestly going for that dumb leyline deck but it was too inconsistent so it didn't seem very fun to play, so I brewed a bit around helm of obedience until finally settling on a Tezzeret deck built by peeking at the other tezzy deck here.

Deck: Tezzerettretrretr

//Main
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Baleful Strix
2 City of Traitors
2 Darkslick Shores
3 Dimir Signet
4 Force of Will
4 Grim Monolith
1 Helm of Obedience
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Polluted Delta
2 Seat of the Synod
1 Sword of the Meek
1 Dismember
1 Talisman of Dominance
2 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
3 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Thopter Foundry
3 Transmute Artifact
3 Underground River
4 Underground Sea
1 Vault of Whispers

//Sideboard
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Dismember
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Engineered Plague
2 Flusterstorm
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Toxic Deluge

Display deck statistics

Also xmage gives you a new appreciation for MODO. I can't even save my deck right now without getting a NullPointerException that persists between restarts. I also wanted The Abyss in there somewhere but apparently that's a Recall in xmage.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

odiv posted:

Yeah, I don't have card images and that setting seemed to do nothing that I could tell. Maybe I need to change it and then restart. I'll look for the scroll bar. It'd be nice if I could just get a column of the card names and CCs. That wouldn't take up much space.

You did download them correct? Check the images tab in the upper right.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

odiv posted:

I just played a few show and tell games and can confirm that there's a scroll-bar under my hand after checking that setting off. It still seems a bit cut off at the bottom, but it's there and usable. I do have the card images though, so I don't know if that applies.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You did download them correct? Check the images tab in the upper right.
Nope, I've intentionally not downloaded them. That's not the issue I'm trying to solve though. Maybe it would work better with the images?

Still not seeing a scroll bar at all. *shrug*

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I don't have mana symbols for floating mana. I clicked the download mana symbols thing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wadjamaloo posted:

I don't have mana symbols for floating mana. I clicked the download mana symbols thing.
Have you tried restarting it? I downloaded the symbols, but didn't start seeing them until the next time I ran XMage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I cant even figure out how to start it soo youre doing better than I am.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Kinda want to just use Cockatrice. Sure it has no rules enforcement but that means it can't do stuff like destroy both your lands when casting Crop Rotation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hey so my deck's actually banned on XMage :v:

P. obviously running Dragon combo, still finalizing a list so I can't put one up yet.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 22, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hey so my deck's actually banned on XMage :v:

P. obviously running Dragon combo, still finalizing a list so I can't put one up yet.

Hopefully they'll update it pretty soon for the new B&R list.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You can run any cards you like if you set the match type to "Limited".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Hopefully they'll update it pretty soon for the new B&R list.

Hopefully they can fix the combo being broken while they're at it. I just resolved it and had it exile my dance from the dead forever.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hopefully they can fix the combo being broken while they're at it. I just resolved it and had it exile my dance from the dead forever.

Yeah I wanted to run dragon but it's seems completely broken i xmage, even if you do manage to pick a format where it is legal.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

gently caress it, I'll just play a variation on what I was playing before KTK dropped.

Remember, there's no Sulta-I in Team America

Main Deck
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Vendilion Clique

2 Liliana of the Veil

1 Sylvan Library

4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Ponder

4 Abrupt Decay
4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
3 Force of Will
1 Dig Through Time

3 Misty Rainforest
3 Polluted Delta
3 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland
1 Tropical Island
4 Underground Sea
2 Bayou

Sideboard
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Pithing Needle
3 Disfigure
1 Flusterstorm
1 Force of Will
2 Golgari Charm
2 Spell Pierce
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Vendilion Clique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
what do people think about upping the time limit for rounds? i played a few pickup games on xmage last night (some vs wadj on ddft and some vs a rando on parfait) and mostly won on time, so i'm worried we'll have a lot more matches ending on time due to interface poo poo than we would in paper. maybe 35 mins per player or something? so ten extra minutes

also if people are looking at doing games on cockatrice for dragon, how does cockatrice handle time?

• Locked thread