Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And there's no such thing as a dough hook for a hand mixer; they just don't have enough power to be effective.

If there was a hand mixer with the power, it would certainly end in hilarity and injury, the former probably being brought on by the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

But imagine what Lucille Ball could have done with one. Physical comedy to the max.

(I have fanged myself cleaning the immersion blender; I should NOT be trusted with a hand mixer.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking as a cook, you want a stand mixer for exactly the same reason you want (say) a drill press.

Totally agree with this, but the reason there are so many stand mixers that see no use is because even fewer people bake than cook. So don't buy/register for things you don't do or intend to do.

I'm an old school kinda guy and bake my own bread. Without a bread machine. (gasp!)

Now I have my kids trained to do it. And they like to.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I do bread, too. If you're enthusiastic about baking, you should be watching THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE-OFF (repackaged as THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW on PBS.) I've learned a lot about baking, and unlike most reality shows, it's kind rather than about watching people undercut one another. And -- relevant to tools! -- it has made me covet a proofing drawer like burning. Also, the guy in the episode last night used washed river rocks in a tray to bake flatbread, and it looked awesome.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Surprised there is not a marriage between tools and kitchen appliances. A mixer that is powered by a milwaukee drill sounds great.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHx3zoYw7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdGgqRf45b0

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Oh god, is he going to take that poor non-stick coating and... noooo! It's too horrible, I can't watch.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bad Munki posted:

Hey, we use our stand mixer darn near constantly. Just, you know, not in the shop. Can't figure out how to make the drat thing do lug nuts.

Funnily enough, when I try to explain to friends why my stand mixer costs 20x as much as a cheap whisk with revolving bowl, I tell them that the plastic mixer broke when a tea towel got caught in it, but the stand mixer probably has an attachment for removing lug nuts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

spog posted:

the plastic mixer broke when a tea towel got caught in it

Horrific de-toweling incident.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I once used my bandsaw to slice up a 10 pound tube of frozen ground beef. The time saved during slicing was not worth the cleanup effort.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I know it's not baking but I use my cordless drill for shoe polishing too

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mds2 posted:

I once used my bandsaw to slice up a 10 pound tube of frozen ground beef. The time saved during slicing was not worth the cleanup effort.
Same goes for turning a pumpkin on a lathe. Sure, it looks cool, and sounds like an awesome thing to say you did, until you're picking pumpkin streamers off every surface in a 10' radius.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mds2 posted:

There is a reason that commercial meat cutting bandsaws are made out of stainless steel, and cost 15x what a regular one does. You can hose the entire unit out with hot soapy water and disinfectant, hose it again with hot water, then go home for the day. The nooks and crannies in a regular bandsaw make me shudder to think how long the cleanup took.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
The inside was pretty much covered in what I like to call "thawed powdered meat".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mds2 posted:

The inside was pretty much covered in what I like to call "thawed powdered meat".

Congrats, you discovered something worse than MDF.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mds2 posted:

Could be worse, could be 2 week old rancid meat slime!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I feel no shame in saying that I used my makita cordless to grind my coffee beans this morning. Fantastic idea!

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Help, I have a problem:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You'll have to be more clear. What's the problem? :confused:

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Bad Munki posted:

You'll have to be more clear. What's the problem? :confused:

The Milwaukee Tool Pokemon game I have stumbled upon, and it has just started.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I dunno, seems like you have an okay start on it.

Is the problem, like, you're not sure if you should respec or something?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Bad Munki posted:

I dunno, seems like you have an okay start on it.

Is the problem, like, you're not sure if you should respec or something?

The problem is I don't need any more Milwaukee tools, yet I keep buying more Milwaukee tools, already looking at more in their line I want to get but may rarely use.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Clearly the problem is you don't have any M12 gear for when you need a smaller, lighter, more compact equipment, you also lack M28 gear. :v: And where is your electric caulk gun and heated jacket???

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh so this is one of those "My only flaw is that I'm too good" type things? :v:

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crotch Fruit posted:

Clearly the problem is you don't have any M12 gear for when you need a smaller, lighter, more compact equipment, you also lack M28 gear. :v: And where is your electric caulk gun and heated jacket???

True, I am a horrible person for starting with the M18 series. =(

Also, I don't even own a normal jacket, much less have a need for a battery powered heated jacket, as it never gets cold enough for me to wear those things, that being said I may buy the red one, would look good in a shadow box display case.

And them M28 Wet/Dry Vacuums look nice, thanks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Picked this up for 25 euros today, works just fine:

I was going to get this for 5 euros (its so old the casing is metal, and it also still works) but given what I found above I don't think I need it:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I think the Sound of Music is probably worth it but what can I say I like Julie Andrews.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Anyone have an recommendations for a hobbyist mig welder. This bottom of the barrel Chicago Electric isn't working out.

I'd like to spend no more than $500 including gas regulator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

Anyone have an recommendations for a hobbyist mig welder. This bottom of the barrel Chicago Electric isn't working out.

I'd like to spend no more than $500 including gas regulator.

What are you trying to weld? Material and thickness.

Are you actually using GMAW (MIG) or FCAW (flux core)?

Why is it not working out?

Are you using harbor freight consumables that came with it?

(these questions boil down to: it might be fine for your purposes with the right consumables and settings)

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Yes to the HF consumables. It is FCAW 90 amp, 120v.

Mild steel... 20 gauge square tube to 1/8th inch angle iron. Little bit of plate.

The welds are super spattery. Corner joints generate an excessive amount of slag. Butt joints I get a decent bead 1 out of 8 attempts.

I am a novice but I remember having greater success in college on the mig.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh man, a friend sent me a couple videos about a guy doing exactly what you are, with the same equipment, and getting the same issues. He had like two or three videos where he goes through, in great detail, getting the final product up to par. It was not all that big a process, and he did a good job of laying out the easier/cheaper fixes vs. the harder/more expensive fixes, I think it's just what you're after...

...and I've totally lost the link. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheBigBad posted:

Yes to the HF consumables.

Do not buy another welder until you buy a proper roll of flux core wire from not-harbor-freight. ESPECIALLY if you are using the spool the welder came with (which is rumored to be universally worse than the rolls you find on the shelf - which are rumored to be of varying quality).

Your welder might be just fine.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Motronic posted:

Do not buy another welder until you buy a proper roll of flux core wire from not-harbor-freight. ESPECIALLY if you are using the spool the welder came with (which is rumored to be universally worse than the rolls you find on the shelf - which are rumored to be of varying quality).

Your welder might be just fine.

Thanks. Ironically I picked up some Lincoln flux core wire from Home Depot while I was shopping for an upgrade. I figured if it wasn't an improvement I'd still need it eventually.

Bad Munki posted:

...and I've totally lost the link. :(

If you find it, I'd appreciate his and your effort(s).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheBigBad posted:

If you find it, I'd appreciate his and your effort(s).

Yeah in retrospect, that was kind of a worthless post, except to say that there is reasonable hope for your welder with fairly minimal effort, so basically what the other guy said.

That being said, I'm preeetty sure this is the video series in question, is this the welder you have? My recollection is fuzzy and I don't actually know anything about welding. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YHWb93-6PU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj53PbPINZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daYD8QGGA8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MajBuhmzdkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6PTNQEwi4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hGsnKe8LpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchaWP3tg4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8dx6E-SGMg

And then he goes on into "advanced" mods, you can chase the videos yourself from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoYN4vx1WU8&spfreload=10

The conclusion of the series has the description, "A more complicated modification where I convert the welder to DCEN by adding a 100 amp bridge rectifier and a capacitor" which means little to me but might interest someone else. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 22, 2015

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Thanks mate. I'll go grab some .30 tips and try to finish my current project but I suspect if I weld anything in the future I'll need an upgrade.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Doctor Zero posted:

I know it's not baking but I use my cordless drill for shoe polishing too

As someone who supports WW1/2 memorials in period uniform I'd like to thank you profusely for this suggestion.

I wonder if I could make a dremel attachment for polishing brass buttons...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ReelBigLizard posted:

As someone who supports WW1/2 memorials in period uniform I'd like to thank you profusely for this suggestion.

I wonder if I could make a dremel attachment for polishing brass buttons...

Dremel makes them themselves. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=684-01

You can also get huge bags of the felt pads on Amazon cheap.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The felts might be a bit firm, there's a lot of relief details on the brasswork they might skip over but I'll give them a try.

Hmm but that bullet shaped felt might be the trick.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
My father didn't lie when he told me that buying a house would give me a compulsion to buy tools.

I just bought a Seek Thermal. No idea what I'll use it for. But a real thermal camera! For 200! I'd be crazy not to buy it.

Anyone have any ideas for it other than seeing where my insulation sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Main other use I've found is pointing it at your SO and telling them they're hot.

Also, finding air leaks, but that's pretty much the same thing as checking insulation.