Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

Hoeven amendment says, "human activity contributes to climate change", failed 59-40.

Schatz amendments says, "human activity significantly contributes to climate change", failed 50-49.

Are there seriously that many democrats that don't believe in climate change? I figured Manchin for sure, but who else?

e: Or am I reading it wrong, 59 yeas to 40 nays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

420DD Butts posted:

Are there seriously that many democrats that don't believe in climate change? I figured Manchin for sure, but who else?

59 votes for saying it does cause climate change - 60 vote threshold. By my count, all of the Democrats except 2 (probably Manchin and Heitkamp maybe?) voted for both amendments.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kalman posted:

59 votes for saying it does cause climate change - 60 vote threshold. By my count, all of the Democrats voted for both amendments.

Yeah, I realized that I may have been reading it wrongly after I posted that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yes, 59 yeas with a 60 vote threshold, because the Senate. Harry Reid is the absent member (he's having eye surgery next week), but the Hoeven amendment still would have failed with him there, one of those 15 Republicans would have flipped.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Joementum posted:

Yes, 59 yeas with a 60 vote threshold, because the Senate. Harry Reid is the absent member (he's having eye surgery next week), but the Hoeven amendment still would have failed with him there, one of those 15 Republicans would have flipped.

Yeah, pretty hard to see 59 as a coincidence.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

Apparently Vitter flipped from yes to no to get to 59 already.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kalman posted:

Apparently Vitter flipped from yes to no to get to 59 already.

John Hoeven also voted against it. "It" in this case being the Hoeven amendment.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Joementum posted:

John Hoeven also voted against it. "It" in this case being the Hoeven amendment.

At least they're ever ripe for comedy, that lot.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Man, the State of the Union must have really left an impression. I guess science can still be a bipartisan issokay what's the catch here?

Like, they couldn't have ALL just voted "yes" because Inhofe told them to after he read it wrong, right?
It can't be because of science, because :laffo: you think they actually care about facts. I think the best explanation is that Republicans want Obama to veto the Keystone XL bill, and then single this out as some kind of hypocrisy. Which strikes me as an incredibly useless amount of politicking that, in two years, is going to be raised in primaries and Republicans will have to explain it to their crazy base, and no, I don't think Inhofe's explanation will fly with anyone. It's absurd on its face.

EDIT: actually, it was probably voted on this way to prevent it from becoming a campaign issue during the elections in 2016. You can't bring up your opponent's denial of climate change, because they're on record as having voted that it's not a hoax. Now you could press on the 'manmade' part, but that's just more hard-to-communicate nuance.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 22, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Aardvark posted:

Wait, what? Is there documentation of this or somewhere I can watch. :psyduck:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So is he basically saying "yeah it's happening, but we're not the cause of it/we shouldn't do poo poo about it"?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Indeed, Congressman Douche, indeed.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
It is amazing to think that there are easily observable instances of humans completely altering local environments (marsh draining, smog, etc.) and yet it is somehow entirely fantastical that we could do the same to the atmosphere on a global scale. These people are living in a fairy world.

Hell, didn't the affect of CFCs on the ozone layer show us that it really isn't that hard to completely alter how systems on Earth work?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

420DD Butts posted:

These people are living in a fairy world.

It's interesting how some people get a pass when in any other context they'd be considered straight up delusional.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So is he basically saying "yeah it's happening, but we're not the cause of it/we shouldn't do poo poo about it"?

This assertion, of course, will not last through the next cold snap.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Accretionist posted:

It's interesting how some people get a pass when in any other context they'd be considered straight up delusional.

I'm certain that if I ran around shouting about how gravity doesn't exist people would think I'm a loon, and yet despite almost every climate or atmospheric scientist agreeing that we are altering the Earth's atmosphere, it's accepted to deny reality. It's like the people who deny evolution despite the fact that every sane biologist would tell you it is a fact and has been proven to exist for decades now.

It's a pretty amazing indictment of our country.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Of course, if you mosey on over to his official YouTube channel you will find this video titled "Inhofe speaks on why climate change is a hoax, as defined by Whitehouse Amendment #29" wherein he surprisingly co-sponsored the bill and cites "biblical evidence" for climate change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpBjM0qmIWU

Followed by this one where he talks about the #Climategate email conspiracy and magazine covers and polar bears and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9ZeEFDVyM

So, you know, still preeeeeeetttttyyy hoaxy.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

420DD Butts posted:

I'm certain that if I ran around shouting about how gravity doesn't exist people would think I'm a loon, and yet despite almost every climate or atmospheric scientist agreeing that we are altering the Earth's atmosphere, it's accepted to deny reality. It's like the people who deny evolution despite the fact that every sane biologist would tell you it is a fact and has been proven to exist for decades now.

It's a pretty amazing indictment of our country.
In the case of global warming, I think it's that they don't want to believe that our lifestyles are responsible for environmental damage, because it'd be against capitalist principles or something. Because anything that says that we need more regulation is obviously bad and wrong, it's gotta be a hoax.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

420DD Butts posted:

Hell, didn't the affect of CFCs on the ozone layer show us that it really isn't that hard to completely alter how systems on Earth work?

Tetraethyl lead in gasoline finally stopped after a dude was loving pissed about all the atmospheric lead screwing with his experiments to date the Earth.

Lead was known to be toxic since like Pliny the Elder.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

DemeaninDemon posted:

to date the Earth

See what happens when society gets perverted by gay marriage? It's just like all the non-profit groups said. You get weirdos like this trying to make love to Gaia or whatever. Makes me sick.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Joementum posted:

Hoeven amendment says, "human activity contributes to climate change", failed 59-40.

Schatz amendments says, "human activity significantly contributes to climate change", failed 50-49.

I thought the senate only needed 50 votes now? Wtf

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

effectual posted:

I thought the senate only needed 50 votes now? Wtf

The 50 vote threshold is only for executive and non-SCOTUS judicial appointments. Legislation still requires 60 votes for cloture. Technically, amendments only require 50 as well, but the leadership often reaches an agreement to hold them to a 60 vote standard because their votes come before the cloture vote so the assumption is that you don't want to agree to anything that can't pass cloture.

The Senate, ladies and gents!

(edit: And, by the way, I simplified the rules there and didn't mention how agreements on the motion to proceed affect the amendment process or timing.)

Joementum fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 22, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

See what happens when society gets perverted by gay marriage? It's just like all the non-profit groups said. You get weirdos like this trying to make love to Gaia or whatever. Makes me sick.

You know how many holes the Earth has? Imagine the gang bang possibilities.

priaprism
Jul 30, 2008
John Boehner, Shadow President

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/21/378874982/boehner-invites-israels-netanyahu-to-address-congress-on-iran

I'm sure this will be a constructive addition to the debate

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “But unlike my favorite coach in high school, who happened to be black, he has been more divisive — when I had a coach that brought us together as a team like never before. I thought this president would do that. He has divided more than united, so that’s been heartbreaking.” ~ Louie Gohmert, on President Obama.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

The 50 vote threshold is only for executive and non-SCOTUS judicial appointments. Legislation still requires 60 votes for cloture. Technically, amendments only require 50 as well, but the leadership often reaches an agreement to hold them to a 60 vote standard because their votes come before the cloture vote so the assumption is that you don't want to agree to anything that can't pass cloture.

The Senate, ladies and gents!

(edit: And, by the way, I simplified the rules there and didn't mention how agreements on the motion to proceed affect the amendment process or timing.)

Did they not change the threshold back to 60 when defining new rules?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Badger of Basra posted:

Did they not change the threshold back to 60 when defining new rules?

They did not. There were a lot of Republican Senators who are perfectly happy with it at 50, especially if President Romney happens in 2016. It's something of a moot point right now anyway because they control the chamber so they can defeat any of Obama's nominees with 51 votes, or by just not bringing the nomination up for a vote in the first place.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
House Republicans just pulled their fetal pain bill because the whip count showed they didn't have the votes to pass it. It was scheduled for a vote tomorrow.

The reason it was scheduled for a vote tomorrow is that's the date of the annual March for Life on the National Mall outside the Capitol. :munch:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Being on political mailing lists makes my inbox look kind of weird sometimes.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

loquacius posted:

:psyduck: The President appears to be stalking you.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

loquacius posted:

You should sign up for the Tea Party mailing lists they are loving amazing imo. Politics without internal coherence, random paid advertisements for alzheimer's and erectile dysfunction snake oil quackery, subject lines that straight up sound like good things but are supposed to scare me. It's got it all. Leftist + especially Democratic mailing lists are just boring.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

House Republicans just pulled their fetal pain bill because the whip count showed they didn't have the votes to pass it. It was scheduled for a vote tomorrow.

The reason it was scheduled for a vote tomorrow is that's the date of the annual March for Life on the National Mall outside the Capitol. :munch:

Ohoho, this is gonna be good. :munch: indeed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

As someone who knows nothing about Seattle politics, are they right about Sawant? It's possible to be correct as hell ideologically and useless as a legislator.

The Seattle city council only has 9 members. It's hard to be useless in a group that small so I don't think it's accurate to say she is. I strongly suspect the allegations of being "useless" come from people that have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Seattle city council typically operates. Especially since the King County government is plenty powerful in its own right

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

America's second favorite crosseyed dingbat changed her planned vote to a yea after some men came over to explain it to her on a level she could understand as a woman, without any fancy pie charts or graphs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

OMG he's black too :ohdear:

Swore his oath on a Quran annotated by Jefferson, which was pretty much a masterstroke.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

Oh god that could not come at a better time!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh god that could not come at a better time!

I can think of better times, such as in the middle of a blizzard, during a hailstorm, during a 100+°F heat wave, in a hurricane, or while the place is flooded with sharkodile infested waters ridden with cholera.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

Indeed, Congressman Douche, indeed.

pictured: Atlanta, Georgia, c. 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So Boehner invited BiBi to speak at congress? Kinda creepy...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

So Boehner invited BIb to speak at congress? Kinda creepy...

And the awkwardness occurs when Pelosi invited Rami Hamdallah to speak before him

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 22, 2015

• Locked thread