Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

cptn_dr posted:

If I have ever been funny, go ahead and use my funny.

Yeah, feel free to take anything I came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Lords of the Sith - Paul S Kemp seems alright, I haven't read his Jaden books though

I would rate that Jaden duology among the worst SW books I've read. It doesn't even have the :wtc: factor that kind of redeems some of the really awful ones. It's just sad dumb nerd hamfisting. He can't manage a single worthwhile bit of dialogue or psychology, so the books are bloated with a bucketload of irrelevant and poorly executed sci-fi/horror tropes. Deceived, his SWTOR tie-in, is marginally better, but only in premise and character ideas that seem like they were fed in by a more creative thinker.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
A quick heads-up before I toss 'em on eBay (moving in 2 weeks), I've got the Rogue/Wraith squadron books (plus I, Jedi if you wanna count that) for sale as a set over in SA Mart ($37 shipped). Plus I'm throwing in the two Klingon dictionaries I found, for that special Trekkie in your life.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 20, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh sure, but Heir to the Empire gets tossed to the wayside.

Anywho, a few months back, I mentioned that I was considering a webseries based around the old Let's Read thread. Life got in the way, and I couldn't get started like I planned.

Things have changed.

I'll be starting to script episodes soon, and generally it'll follow the format of web reviewers like Noah Antwiler and Brad Jones. Now, here's the one trick: Does anyone from the old thread mind if I borrow some of your jokes? Too many of them are just too good to pass up, quite frankly, and I am more than willing to credit your work. If you absolutely do not want me to use your material, please let me know asap.

(Also, does the title work for people? Constructive feedback is always welcome.)
(The empty space under the main title is where I plan to announce the book being covered.)

Feel free to use anything from the Jedi Prince series I wrote up, if you want it. Though God help you for going through them again, if you do.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

thrawn527 posted:

Feel free to use anything from the Jedi Prince series I wrote up, if you want it. Though God help you for going through them again, if you do.

Thanks Thrawn, and yeah, I've already ordered the first two off Amazon. Kinda had to seeing as 90% of the images from the original thread have disappeared into the ether. But that's okay, because I've already needed Glove for a little extra something.

(linked for loving HUGE)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Thanks Thrawn, and yeah, I've already ordered the first two off Amazon. Kinda had to seeing as 90% of the images from the original thread have disappeared into the ether. But that's okay, because I've already needed Glove for a little extra something.

(linked for loving HUGE)
I've still got my copies if you need images.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Casimir Radon posted:

I've still got my copies if you need images.

Much appreciated, thanks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Future generations can appreciate the bad art of the Moffs chilling in the Moffship doing things.

Moff things.

Moff.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Future generations can appreciate the bad art of the Moffs chilling in the Moffship doing things.

Moff things.

Moff.

I really hope folks appreciate my efforts regarding Thrawn and the Guy Who Says Retarded EU poo poo to Thrawn. It's going to take some work, but if it works as planned, it will be loving glorious.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh. GOG.com just released a second wave of Lucasarts games. XvT, Alliance, Battlegrounds, Battlefront II, and KOTOR II. There's also a countdown for more releases with about 35 hours left.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh. GOG.com just released a second wave of Lucasarts games. XvT, Alliance, Battlegrounds, Battlefront II, and KOTOR II. There's also a countdown for more releases with about 35 hours left.

Ah, X-wing alliance, my favorite game in the series. Such a shame it never got a single xpac.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh PLEASE be X-Wing Alliance.

It'd be hilarious though if it was something like Yoda's Stories instead. Or Force Commander.

Wait. That isn't funny at all!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Was Battlefront 1 ever on PC? I honestly kind of liked it more although it might be nostalgia.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yes it was on PC. I always liked the first one more as well, but they were both a lot of fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Was Battlefront 1 ever on PC? I honestly kind of liked it more although it might be nostalgia.

Steam has battlefront 2, but it only works if there's a male AV port plugged into the microphone jack. Weirdest glitch ever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pentyne posted:

Steam has battlefront 2, but it only works if there's a male AV port plugged into the microphone jack. Weirdest glitch ever.

Also works if you enable stereo sound for some reason, though doing that has subsequently caused general sound glitches on my computer.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh PLEASE be X-Wing Alliance.

It'd be hilarious though if it was something like Yoda's Stories instead. Or Force Commander.

Wait. That isn't funny at all!

I'll hear nothing of the sort! Yoda Stories was excellent :colbert:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Can you play XWA with a 360 pad?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

brozozo posted:

I'll hear nothing of the sort! Yoda Stories was excellent :colbert:

The only good thing about Force Commander was the game manual.

Seriously, I still got it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Star Wars Force Commander might be the reason why I dislike RTS games given that it's the first I've ever played

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was a pretty shite RTS. There a really goofy fun Age Of Empires clone based on Star Wars part of the GOG deal just mentioned worth playing though!

Empire At War was okay-ish.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I always say this when to comes up, but empire at war is half awesome, half terrible. The space battles are great fun and the land battles are god awful.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

I always say this when to comes up, but empire at war is half awesome, half terrible. The space battles are great fun and the land battles are god awful.

I agree, and it really surprised me given that the game was made by the Command & Conquer people, so going into it I was expecting awesome land battles and terrible space ones.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My new computer wouldn't let me play Dark Forces II or Mysteries of the Sith because it had to be set in 256 colours, or something like that. I worked out how to reset it but now they only open in a kind of windowed mode; you can't play them in full screen. It's a bit odd because a) this wasn't a problem on my old computer and b) Dark Forces, with its 1995 graphics, works without issue.

Worth it for Christopher Neame as Jerec, of course. :allears:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Pretty much, when I get the urge to play it I remember the Land Battles and then the urges just goes away. One of these days though, will try out that Thrawn era mod for it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
GoG needs to release Rebellion :allears:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I tried replaying EAW a couple weeks ago, since I enjoyed both space and ground battles (but space more), and... man, that game has not aged well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much, when I get the urge to play it I remember the Land Battles and then the urges just goes away. One of these days though, will try out that Thrawn era mod for it.

I tried it out but it seemed like it piled on too many unnecessary game mechanics, but I didn't look at it too long.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SeanBeansShako posted:

Build groups of three speeders at a time (on the Rebel side), and just have them infiltrate every planet over and over again until you capture it. Then have a space battle. Easiest way to completely skip the worst part of the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I tried it out but it seemed like it piled on too many unnecessary game mechanics, but I didn't look at it too long.

I don't really expect you can do much mod wise to EaW. I'll try it out anyway since I've been there and done that with the base game and expansion already.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't really expect you can do much mod wise to EaW. I'll try it out anyway since I've been there and done that with the base game and expansion already.

You can do a lot of things in EAW for mods. Off the top of my head there are a few that add Super Star Destroyers of all stripe and variety.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Strobe posted:

You can do a lot of things in EAW for mods. Off the top of my head there are a few that add Super Star Destroyers of all stripe and variety.

I'm thinking more of the lines of total conversion or new features, rather than the usual more toys to play with sort of mods.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The best way to do land battles is to just blow up the planet with the Death Star. :getin:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Can you play XWA with a 360 pad?

Yes. Maps pretty well by default, too.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

astr0man posted:

No they don't. I've still got my disc. :smug:

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Metal Loaf posted:

My new computer wouldn't let me play Dark Forces II or Mysteries of the Sith because it had to be set in 256 colours, or something like that. I worked out how to reset it but now they only open in a kind of windowed mode; you can't play them in full screen. It's a bit odd because a) this wasn't a problem on my old computer and b) Dark Forces, with its 1995 graphics, works without issue.

Worth it for Christopher Neame as Jerec, of course. :allears:

Oh man, that guy took so much relish in devouring the scenery it's impossible not love him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can play Dark Forces in XL Engine. There are still some bugs but it's completable as far as I know. Being able to mouselook really makes a difference, one time playing the original executable I'd lost a couple lives on Fest by tumbling of cliffs, I'd just escaped the facility and ended up falling off one again resulting in a game over, I was pretty pissed.

XL Engine is still being worked on though somewhat slowly, and he's concentrating on running Daggerfall in it right now.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was a pretty shite RTS. There a really goofy fun Age Of Empires clone based on Star Wars part of the GOG deal just mentioned worth playing though!

Empire At War was okay-ish.

I got Force Commander at the age where anything Star Wars was worth spending as much time as possible on, and before I was good enough at games that being able to progress in a reasonable time or even master the game mechanics didn't matter at all. So I love it in the abstract but having revisited it a few times since and not gotten far, I wouldn't recommend it.

That said, it's still one of the relatively SW games that has a really solid standalone story with good new characters and arcs and not tooooo much leaning on movie references. Contrast to Galactic Battlegrounds or Empire at War, especially. EaW had sick space battles, though. Certainly scratched an itch I'd had for like my whole life.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Strobe posted:

I remember one mod that made the Super Star Destroyers the correct size in relation to the game's smaller capital ships and only half of one could fit on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

astr0man posted:

imho they should give Paradox the license.