Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Everblight posted:

It would actually work OK if you locked the Squad Leader to a spot on the mat and had range bands radiating out from him so everyone (and enemies) could just calculate how many bands away they are and move in or out based on that. But combat is not supposed to be tactical and a space-combat heavy game would probably end up being way more lethal than you want. I mean, remember that only 3 ships came back out of two twelve-wing squadrons at the Battle of Yavin.

Yeah, that's true.

Also, pretty much all players would be locking into playing as either an Ace, Gunner or Squad Leader, wouldn't they? I've never played a game where everyone is the same class and I dunno how fun that would be.

I mean granted, the Rebels have A-Wings, B-Wings, X-Wings and Y-Wings and that would differentiate people a little but I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013
So I'm in an EotE game that's starting up in a few weeks (yay!), and I wanted to plan ahead for some future ship modification and tweaking. I'm not 100% on the rules, so wanted to make sure I got this close to right:

Could I, on the Wayfarer Transport that we start out with for free, install an Advanced Targeting Array with a second Gunnery upgrade as well as the Sniper and True Aim innate talents for $7000, a Reinforced Shield Generator with three (oneregular plus two additional mods) Shield Points in my front arc for $5800, and two Quad-Linked Light Turbolaser Turrets (1 dorsal, 1 ventral, both Fire Arc All) for $60,000?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, that's true.

Also, pretty much all players would be locking into playing as either an Ace, Gunner or Squad Leader, wouldn't they? I've never played a game where everyone is the same class and I dunno how fun that would be.

I mean granted, the Rebels have A-Wings, B-Wings, X-Wings and Y-Wings and that would differentiate people a little but I dunno.

I imagine this is why they released Stay On Target first, so that there's some more options for a diverse cast of fighter jocks. I think the system lends itself well to a Wraith Squadron style game, where there's sweet dogfights, but also some infiltration and shooting stormtroopers and stuff. That way there's an incentive for players to maybe start with an Ace career and then branch out to something else.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Part of the reason they charge for the beta is the Star Wars license. They can't just give it away. And the restrictions on PDFs interfere with that avenue for it too. It's a crappy situation but I see why it is how it is. I also won't pay for them and good news don't have to.

Ah ok. I never knew they had print beta versions of the other books too.

I got the flight jockey book and I'm slowly trying to get my x-wing playing friends into it. Problem is we love x-wing so much we end up playing the board game 90% of the time.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Ah ok. I never knew they had print beta versions of the other books too.

I got the flight jockey book and I'm slowly trying to get my x-wing playing friends into it. Problem is we love x-wing so much we end up playing the board game 90% of the time.

I GM'd a game for some of my friends when the system just came out, and we ended up just putting together lists and playing out our space battles using the x-wing miniatures rules. They didn't want to learn the rules.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm thinking of cooking up something with the F&D Beta where the players are Sith Acolytes working for an Inquisitor, and doing her bidding in the Ep3-Ep4 gap. Basically, the players would be a mix of Force Sensitives scooped up by the Imperial Secret Services, and corrupted Padawans and Younglings. Would the rules work for it, especially the Morality system?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

susan posted:

So I'm in an EotE game that's starting up in a few weeks (yay!), and I wanted to plan ahead for some future ship modification and tweaking. I'm not 100% on the rules, so wanted to make sure I got this close to right:

Could I, on the Wayfarer Transport that we start out with for free, install an Advanced Targeting Array with a second Gunnery upgrade as well as the Sniper and True Aim innate talents for $7000, a Reinforced Shield Generator with three (oneregular plus two additional mods) Shield Points in my front arc for $5800, and two Quad-Linked Light Turbolaser Turrets (1 dorsal, 1 ventral, both Fire Arc All) for $60,000?

I'm not sure where you found the Quad linked light Turbolasers, I just see Light Turbolasers + Linked. Everything else looks fine, assuming you are able to roll well enough to purchase what you need and roll well enough to install it.

If it were my game I would make you remove the stock quad laser cannon to install a new turret.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

alg posted:

I'm not sure where you found the Quad linked light Turbolasers, I just see Light Turbolasers + Linked. Everything else looks fine, assuming you are able to roll well enough to purchase what you need and roll well enough to install it.

If it were my game I would make you remove the stock quad laser cannon to install a new turret.

My (possibly wrong) interpretation of Linked was that one could add basically as many additional weapons on top of the first, for an additional 1/2 cost per additional linked gun. I wasn't sure about the whole Turret thing; I didn't seem to find any place that specified what could or couldn't be installed as a Turret, and so using the most liberal interpretation I could I assumed that one could install a massive linked weapon emplacement as a turret for the opportunity cost of a single Hardpoint. Like I said, I really don't know what I'm doing yet, and fully appreciate that some of these choices are wholly up to the GM.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

susan posted:

My (possibly wrong) interpretation of Linked was that one could add basically as many additional weapons on top of the first, for an additional 1/2 cost per additional linked gun. I wasn't sure about the whole Turret thing; I didn't seem to find any place that specified what could or couldn't be installed as a Turret, and so using the most liberal interpretation I could I assumed that one could install a massive linked weapon emplacement as a turret for the opportunity cost of a single Hardpoint. Like I said, I really don't know what I'm doing yet, and fully appreciate that some of these choices are wholly up to the GM.

Hmm yeah it does say two or more.

The text says when replacing a weapon, the new weapon gains the fire arc; when adding a new weapon altogether, the GM must decide what makes sense.

Just depends on what your GM says, but I would let my players do it if they wanted. Then again, my players never ever plan anything ahead with regards to character development and never look at modifications :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Here's Sons of Fortune for $13

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Edg...ASIN=1616616857

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Does anyone have a line on any good space station maps/deckplans I could use for an Edge game? A smaller station, I want to use it as an Imperial Customs checkpoint/impound station.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This game, I love this game. Just ran a two part session that involved the PCs trying to rob the payroll of Sienar factory producing TIEs on some planet in the Mid Rim, job goes bad the creds aren't there (is it a set up?Bad luck?) so they have to escape CorpSec get to the roof for pick on their freighter and make the escape having to change their original destination to Tatooine. The next part Once Upon A Time On Tatooine. Really if your not using any movie made between like 1930 and 1990 for inspiration you're doing this game wrong. AoR/EoE is just begging for a Kelly's Heroes treatment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Does anyone have a line on any good space station maps/deckplans I could use for an Edge game? A smaller station, I want to use it as an Imperial Customs checkpoint/impound station.

For Star Wars, no, but there's a million Star Trek blueprints out there. Maybe something could be adapted to your needs?

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/space-station-k7.php
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/starbase-79-blueprints.php
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/space-laboratory-regula-1.php

alg
Mar 14, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

PM me!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
As a child I used to obsessively draw Star Wars maps in my school notebook, because I was obsessed with DARK FORCES, and I'd plan out different levels. Making up maps is one of my favorite parts of RPGs.

I thought I'd be nice and go to the FLGS to pre-order/request a copy of Lords of Nal Hutta, since the FFG Upcoming page shows that its on a boat, and got told the release date in their system was 1/1/2020. :psyduck:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

As a child I used to obsessively draw Star Wars maps in my school notebook, because I was obsessed with DARK FORCES, and I'd plan out different levels. Making up maps is one of my favorite parts of RPGs.

I thought I'd be nice and go to the FLGS to pre-order/request a copy of Lords of Nal Hutta, since the FFG Upcoming page shows that its on a boat, and got told the release date in their system was 1/1/2020. :psyduck:

That must be their distributor's code for "we don't know." FFG is bad about delays, but they aren't THAT bad (Unless you play SW:LCG :smith:)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm thinking of picking up the Age of Rebellion beginner box... is it worth playing with one friend that I'll GM for?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm thinking of picking up the Age of Rebellion beginner box... is it worth playing with one friend that I'll GM for?

Combat is pretty tuned to a 3-5 player group. Too few PCs and the monsters will overwhelm them with black dice and damage, too many PCs and monsters get rekt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Need some Force and Destiny advice; I've got a couple people in my group who absolutely hate taking any Conflict at all. They'd rather whiff a force power usage than gain a point of conflict from using a single dark side pip, and get really defensive whenever I tell them to take conflict as the result of their roleplaying actions. Even after the whole "hey, at the end of the session, you roll a d10 for morality shift, so as long as your conflict is 5 or less, you still have even odds of increasing morality" conversation, things didn't change much.

If they were playing the most goody-two-shoes Jedi paragon characters, I'd get it, but they're planing fairly average joes that happen to have sabers and force powers; so it's not like they're never making any kind of grey decisions.

Any advice on getting them more comfortable with how Morality and Conflict are supposed to be working in-play?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Have one of the grey decisions they make give a small amount of conflict without telling them why, and don't let them take that decision back when they protest. Then show them how much it really doesn't hurt them.

Shove it down their throats. Keep doing this until they understand that conflict is okay to do, and if they don't take it themselves you'll give it to them instead.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Have one of the grey decisions they make give a small amount of conflict without telling them why, and don't let them take that decision back when they protest. Then show them how much it really doesn't hurt them.

Shove it down their throats. Keep doing this until they understand that conflict is okay to do, and if they don't take it themselves you'll give it to them instead.

Alternately, ask them what the deal is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

Alternately, ask them what the deal is.

It's mostly a case of "conflict" sounding bad and scary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for doublepost, but there's a new preview article up for Lords of Nal Hutta, detailing the Nikto, Ganks, and Sakiyans, as well as detailing some new cybernetics options. Yay cyberpunk Star Wars.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yay cyberpunk Star Wars.

Even with just the core book, there's enough material there to hack this into a better Shadowrun game than any published edition of Shadowrun. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 20, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Even with just the core book, there's enough material there to hack this into a better Shadowrun game than any published edition of Shadowrun. :v:

You can say this about most other systems. I had toyed with the idea of hacking this system into an Avatar system, with each type of bending being its own career with various specializations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Out of curiosity, since I don't have it, how badly are you hosed if you do use dark side powers? Is gaining dark side points or conflict or whatever based on what powers you use, or how you act? Like, if I'm a Jedi that walks around stabbing people to death with a lightsaber is that mechanically going to be as bad as force choking people to death? Or throwing rocks at them?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Gate posted:

Out of curiosity, since I don't have it, how badly are you hosed if you do use dark side powers? Is gaining dark side points or conflict or whatever based on what powers you use, or how you act? Like, if I'm a Jedi that walks around stabbing people to death with a lightsaber is that mechanically going to be as bad as force choking people to death? Or throwing rocks at them?

The powers that could really be abused by being dark side are actually rolled in with the light side versions (i.e. Heal/Harm and Protect/Unleash). Everything else, action-wise, is based off the GM assigning Conflict for morally bad actions.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

I'm going to GM this for the first time for a group who will be playing it for the first time (well, we played the EotE beginner box). I was wondering what this thread's opinions are on the published EotE adventures that are out there (especially the one that comes with the GM screen). I'm thinking of starting out with one of those to get me in to a good groove with the setting and system, then branch off from there with my own stuff. Is this a good idea, or are the pre-mades awful?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Have stats for the TIE Mauler ever shown up in this system yet? I have plans for a ground assault at some point in my campaign and could use some TIE tanks.

Trilas posted:

I'm going to GM this for the first time for a group who will be playing it for the first time (well, we played the EotE beginner box). I was wondering what this thread's opinions are on the published EotE adventures that are out there (especially the one that comes with the GM screen). I'm thinking of starting out with one of those to get me in to a good groove with the setting and system, then branch off from there with my own stuff. Is this a good idea, or are the pre-mades awful?

My first few sessions were run entirely off pre-made adventures...just be aware that players can and will go completely off the rails of the module, and unless you want to hard-core railroad them, you're going to have to improvise a bit.

I haven't run the GM Screen adventure, but the Beginner Box mission and the Beyond the Rim and Jewel of Yavin adventures have been hits at my table.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jivjov posted:

I haven't run the GM Screen adventure, but the Beginner Box mission and the Beyond the Rim and Jewel of Yavin adventures have been hits at my table.
Is the Beginner Box version "Trouble Brewing" from the back of the main book?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nope. It is "Escape from Mos Schuuta", about fleeing Tatooine to escape Teemo the Hutt for various reasons. FFG has a sequel for it, "Long Arm of the Hutt", on their website which is about getting rid of Teemo, either by direct assassination or collecting dirt that'll get him in trouble with his boss, Jabba. It also has two more pregens for both adventures.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Everblight posted:

Is the Beginner Box version "Trouble Brewing" from the back of the main book?

For each game, the adventure at the back of the book is different from both the Beginner Box and the one in the GM Kit.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

homullus posted:

For each game, the adventure at the back of the book is different from both the Beginner Box and the one in the GM Kit.

And the beta :coolfish:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh? What was the EotE beta adventure like?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh? What was the EotE beta adventure like?

Capturing a bounty given to you by a dying droid.

edit: hmm that is the core book. beta was "Crates of Krayts". I haven't run it yet

alg fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 21, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

alg posted:

Capturing a bounty given to you by a dying droid.

I remember it being pretty weak and the setup very easily being something the players just kind of ignore and walk off without realising anything important happened.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Trilas posted:

It's not one of the full published adventure, but I ran a demo game of the free rpg day adventure Rescue at Glare Peak. The adventure climaxed with the party remote-control piloting a landspeeder full of explosives into Darth Vader so they could make a getaway. A++.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I suppose that might slow him down a bit.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, first-time EotE/AoR player here. Just wanting a bit of character-building advice if you can spare any, since I'm not sure about where I should be aiming my character's development towards, primarily skill-wise. (I'm pretty sure they're called skills in this - the tree of abilities that grant you a variety of passive and/or active bonuses)

First-up, my character is a Corellian human fighter ace who has 4 agility and 3 willpower (pretty sure? not at home so I can't confirm) and primarily specializes in gunnery along with both types of piloting (2Y2G dice for all three. Also 1Y3G for light weapons), but I think I'm probably going to be gunning when in space combat, as we're in a freighter and we've got one other player who has some points in space piloting, with nobody other than myself possessing gunnery abilities. (we've got a mechanic/backup pilot, robot negotiator/con artist - think Bonder from Futurama; magnetic mustache included - a rebel sniper and two force-sensitives)

So what I'm wondering is, if I'm going to be taking the gunner's seat more than the pilot's seat (at this stage, at least. We're thinking about getting an escort fighter for me to use, as I'm proficient as both a pilot and gunner), what kind of skills and the like should I be going for? At this stage I've only got 'skilled jockey' that removes one black/environmental hazard die from pilot rolls I make, but that's about it - the only others I can get at the moment are stuff like being able to make a ship move slightly faster than max, etc. which isn't really useful for me, with my character's current role.

Also, seeing as I just got a Corellian cutlass (well hey, I need a melee weapon for last resort and I'm Corellian, right? :D We also just engaged in an act of piracy against an Empire-aligned company freighter, to get some information, so it seems appropriate, given that we seem to basically be privateers under the rebellion!), if I happen to go up against either one of our force-sensitives or an entirely different saber-user, will it just get melted, or is it like KOTOR where for some reason blast doors can be melted/cut open by lightsabers but swords can't?

Thanks for any insight offered! (and sorry about the slight wall of text! :D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Do you remember what career you have? I'm guessing your specialization is Pilot, but is that from the Ace career or the Smuggler? If you're an Ace, I would look into the Gunner specialization if you think you'll be doing more of that than anything. I almost think it might be better for you to be the pilot, though, considering your character is a, uh, pilot. See if someone else wants to take over gunning duties.

As far as talent choice goes, as long as you're sticking with your theme, it's hard to go wrong. I like to pick a lot of the active talents, because they give you some cool narrative control. All of the Pilot's active talents are sweet, even the really early one, Full Throttle. Pick stuff that makes your duder kickin rad, don't worry about min maxing or whatever.