Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
All I want so far is that SQ-1

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

HOLY gently caress SO MUCH COOL NAMM poo poo!
Jordan Rudess's demonstration remind me of some of the built in songs on Roland's 90s synths.

Truth, the whole time I was like drat Korg put a D70 in the Kronos? Went on WAY too long. I know NAMM talks are never good but god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
It has arrived, and the GearSlutz are bitching :v:.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/01/21/korg-unveils-arp-odyssey-analog-synthesizer/

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

net work error posted:

I missed it, what happened?! :allears:

From my skimming it's 3/4 Korg going on about an iterative update to the Kronos, and then a "by the way we've got this ARP Odyssey thing". Cut to a lame demo of it being played on its own for a minute followed by it being drowned out by the Kronos to show us how awesome it is.

Edit: MSRP $1400... dayum. It wasn't really something I wanted that much but that's not even in the "maybe if the demos prove themselves" category. I'd just get a sub 37

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 22, 2015

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
Apparently there's also possibly this:

http://www.native-instruments.com/f...achines.232928/

A bit curious about the tomcat drum thing, seeing as the rhythm wolf felt overpriced for how crap it was sonically. (a+/10 on the construction though) E: well i do like crap but i don't like it enough to justify ~200 euros.
Also possibly maybe sort of curious about that 4-voice poly.

This is of course granted both of the above are real and not just really nice mockups but then again NAMM's just getting started right

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

The Rhythm Wolf fell flat, didn't it? They're launching another drum machine so quick?

Regardless, I'm excited to see the flow of budget analog gear isn't drying up.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

BKPR posted:

The Rhythm Wolf fell flat, didn't it? They're launching another drum machine so quick?

Regardless, I'm excited to see the flow of budget analog gear isn't drying up.

It does seem a little weird that they'd announce another drum machine so quickly on the tail of one that a lot of people, including (hilariously) Guitar Center employees, didn't know actually existed to begin with.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm always interested in cheap synths/drum machines, but after the Rhythm Wolf fiasco I'll wait for reviews on these

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was so excited for the Rhythm Wolf when it was first announced, too. Hopefully this one delivers where the Wolf did not, I guess.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

BKPR posted:

The Rhythm Wolf fell flat, didn't it?

P much, seeing as it was (imo) rather dull and the synth part was out of tune and also the distortion circuit made me kind of sad

To be fair at least they're built really sturdy! Which is great if you want to clobber someone to death with one which you probably would if you bought one blind online

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Holy loving poo poo the new SQ-1 has USB MIDI and can do V/Oct and V/Hz

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Slimkey? We need to get some measurements done here.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Startyde posted:

OK What's the current good/free robosampler? I used to use redmatica but I have nfc what to use now on PC. or I can just play them sequentially and you can chop.

Chainer doesn't seem to actually be free, just a demo. Arcdev Synthcatcher is free (32 bit) but is a bastard to find since the dev seems to have departed the scene. So I'll just leave this here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m19jpuddrydtxc3/arcDev%20Synthcatcher.7z?dl=0

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does the Timbre Wolf look like it has patch memory?

Depending on the price and whether or not it's actually in tune (looking at you Rhythm Wolf :v:), I kinda want one purely for the hilarious name :downs:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

What in the hell is a "slimkey"? People keep saying "they're not minikeys" but they look pretty mini to me, esp. when people are playing it in that video.

Is slimkey the queen bed of the keyboard world?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radiapathy posted:

What in the hell is a "slimkey"? People keep saying "they're not minikeys" but they look pretty mini to me, esp. when people are playing it in that video.

Honestly, it just sounds like they didn't want to say "minikeys" for fear of setting off the GearSlutz crowd.

Obviously didn't work.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Lordy that KORG desktop thing is going to COST if their minikeys Arp is $1000+

But then again the older kit price will crash.

Wonder how much better an Arp would really be than a Bass station 2 anyway.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Radiapathy posted:

I'd guess they mean the same size as the MS-20 mini's keys (guessing from that '86% the size of the original' thing, same as the MS-20), which are apparently somewhere between regular 'mini' keys and full-size keys. They're still small enough that I always use a midi controller to play my MS-20 mini, though.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The timbre wolf looks like it would be a very interesting machine, even if it should lack patch memory. I'm just worried that the synth voices will prove to be incredibly bland and mediocre.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

snorch posted:

The timbre wolf looks like it would be a very interesting machine, even if it should lack patch memory. I'm just worried that the synth voices will prove to be incredibly bland and mediocre.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't just the same poo poo that's on rhythm wolf x4 (or how many voices it has)

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Daaaamn that Arp reissue is too expensive. I can't imagine NOT shelling out $100 more for a Sub 37. Also, whatever flaws the possibly-upcoming Behringer clone has will probably be mitigated by the gulf in pricing.

OTOH, If the MS20M isn't much more than the MS20 mini, it'll be on order ASAP.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
interesting announcements from roland:

JD-Xi, looks like a sort of a groovebox in keyboard format. 128 voice digital polyphony as well as a monophonic analog voice.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Yh1UqMjcE

there's also a JD-XA that look like a larger version of this, no details yet though.

MX-1 "performance mixer". appears to have 5 stereo inputs, spdif in/out, as well as USB. depending on the price this might be the mixer that i want

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mr. Glass posted:

MX-1 "performance mixer". appears to have 5 stereo inputs, spdif in/out, as well as USB. depending on the price this might be the mixer that i want
With the usb Aira link thing, this seems more or less like the breakout box needed to do something slightly more useful with the usb multi channel out of the TR-8 away from the computer.

I'm not seeing 5 stereo inputs. I'm seeing 4 analog mono inputs and one stereo. An extra stereo one if you count the Aux return.

Would be magnificent if it was generic usb host to more than just the Aira series, even if it was just for midi, but probably not.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
drat that's a lot of USB ports and not a lot of 1/4 or stereo inputs.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Glass posted:

interesting announcements from roland:

JD-Xi, looks like a sort of a groovebox in keyboard format. 128 voice digital polyphony as well as a monophonic analog voice.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Yh1UqMjcE

there's also a JD-XA that look like a larger version of this, no details yet though.

I saw the JD-Xi video and I can't tell if the kinda annoying presentation that initially set me against what they did. It kinda feels like design by committee - the product of a three-way between a simple monosynth, a rompler groovebox and a microKorg. I'm totally the wrong target for this at this point so I'm a really bad judge if this is a phenomenally bad fit or a simple groovebox/workstation with a controller to get people started. It feels like it was designed to piss off synth purists given forum reaction to it elsewhere. I guess it's the ultimate troll - Roland finally goes back to analog, but attaches it to a rompler.

And there's the big Korg Modular video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cab4yWuidOs

When the entire video is about things like finding authentic switches from the 60s and having that special aura it's clearly aimed at bringing forth the Prog Lawyer to replace the Blues Lawyer. The most telling line is they're not offering custom configurations because of the technical support in helping people choose and use their modules, like they're expecting people who have zero understanding of synths to be in line for one of these. Even the spiel had "for those who in their teens had a wonderment for Moog synthesizers" in there. No specs, no tech, all aura. I'll probably own a Moog one day but it isn't going to be one of these. But again, I'm not the target for this.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not seeing 5 stereo inputs. I'm seeing 4 analog mono inputs and one stereo. An extra stereo one if you count the Aux return.

dang, i didn't see the image of the back panel. never mind

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is it weird that I'm happy we don't have a new Virus? Because this euro poo poo sure has destroyed my bank account.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

So I wrote this for BonerJamz. Sorry that it's not really in anything close to the same style as others, but this frenetic dnb tip is all Ive been on lately. The boner connection is really just the moaning from the 'Put Your Love' break.

https://soundcloud.com/tenfingerstentoes/comes-in-dreams

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

magiccarpet posted:

Is it weird that I'm happy we don't have a new Virus? Because this euro poo poo sure has destroyed my bank account.

The Messe is in April, Access is German after all ;)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

stillvisions posted:

but attaches it to a rompler.
That's just Roland's version of "... but with Bitcoin". They'd put a rompler in a lawnmower if they made that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
guys

http://sequential.com/

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

$85,000 keyboard, 3 years down the road a $65,000 desktop.

Bet it sounds neat.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Not much on the blue leds in equipment front this year. Good.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If it has patch memory, isn't it a DCO, not a VCO? Like at very least you're going to feed a VCO with a DAC, so isn't that "digitally controlled"?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

sliderule posted:

If it has patch memory, isn't it a DCO, not a VCO? Like at very least you're going to feed a VCO with a DAC, so isn't that "digitally controlled"?

No you just have something digital to store voltage settings and feed them into your VCO/etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sliderule posted:

gently caress this new analog craze :reject:

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
DCO's apparently get a reset pulse every so often to get their pitch in line.

You can still have patch memory with a VCO, with the same potential for drifting as a VCO, so long as you aren't constantly fixing the pitch.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
goddamn this sounds like rear end, what the gently caress akai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8-WboRLVw

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lol five hundred dollars

can't they just make an mpc again

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
"what would happen if we took the shittiest part of the rhythm wolf and made it a separate product"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Glass posted:

goddamn this sounds like rear end, what the gently caress akai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8-WboRLVw

What the hell was that? :psyduck: