Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

First DLC pack for Dragonball Xenoverse announced. $10 for five new main story quests, 15 new parallel quests, 5 new costumes, 15 new special moves and GT Goku, Pan, and Trunks as playable characters.

Welp I hope you all canceled your pre-orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Huh, might have to pick that up. That's a good bit of content.

Given, content that should be on the disc as shipped, but still, not much you can do.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Blockhouse posted:

First DLC pack for Dragonball Xenoverse announced. $10 for five new main story quests, 15 new parallel quests, 5 new costumes, 15 new special moves and GT Goku, Pan, and Trunks as playable characters.

On one hand, that's gotta be on-disc content that was removed so that we could pay more. On the other hand, that is a fair bit of content so they're hardly nickle and diming us.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Testekill posted:

On one hand, that's gotta be on-disc content that was removed so that we could pay more. On the other hand, that is a fair bit of content so they're hardly nickle and diming us.

How is that better than a "nickle and dime" approach, though? If they're already trying to get me to pay an extra ten bucks for content I should just have already, I'd rather have the option to buy it ala carte. I don't care about any of the GT characters, or the quests if they all involve them, but maybe I'd like the costumes or the moves. Now I still have to pay for all that other bullshit.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Testekill posted:

How do you know if thats a fair bit of content before even playing the game?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think that's the first time I've seen GT Trunks be his own character in one of these games(which is very understandable as GT Trunks is a very bland character)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's still so much we don't know about the game, and DLC is announced?

I want you to be able to change how your strings look on your Create-a-Goku so that they don't look the same as everyone else's.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

KoB posted:

How do you know if thats a fair bit of content before even playing the game?

Because its 20 quests, 3 characters, 15 special moves & 5 costumes. 2K Games are asking the same amount for five characters in WWE 2K15.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Testekill posted:

Because its 20 quests, 3 characters, 15 special moves & 5 costumes. 2K Games are asking the same amount for five characters in WWE 2K15.

Maybe so, but wrestling is real, unlike DBZ.

Also just because 2K's price model is really bad doesn't mean this one is good. 10 bucks for more content on something you don't like isn't worth much no matter how much more time you can spend doing that thing you don't like.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Maybe so, but wrestling is real, unlike DBZ.

Also just because 2K's price model is really bad doesn't mean this one is good. 10 bucks for more content on something you don't like isn't worth much no matter how much more time you can spend doing that thing you don't like.

Greek Wrestling is real, Professional Wrestling is acting. Very good physical acting (most of the time) and is very entertaining, but acting and not a sport.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

Greek Wrestling is real, Professional Wrestling is acting. Very good physical acting (most of the time) and is very entertaining, but acting and not a sport.

lol Whatever you say, pal. Mods?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Covok posted:

WHAT? Motherfucker, you better have some hard evidence for this otherwise you will be having a bad day. NO ONE INSULTS THE HONORABLE SPORT OF PRO WRESTLING BY SAYING IT IS ACTING! These storylines are real!

Blockhouse posted:

Lol, of loving course .

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So how good of a game can we actually expect Xenoverse to be? I've been debating pre-ordering it, or just picking up the Budokai HD Collection instead.

Or playing that SNES RPG that sounds cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

budokai 3 is a fun game but story mode is kinda boring and unlocking stuff can be a pain and once you have everything unlocked there isn't much to do, since there's no online play

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

budokai 3 is a fun game but story mode is kinda boring and unlocking stuff can be a pain and once you have everything unlocked there isn't much to do, since there's no online play

I should say I played both B1 and B3 as a kid, so I'm well versed about story mode and flying around the world at an angle, haha. It is a lot of fun though, and competent enough as a fighter while also capturing DBZ fairly well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endorph posted:

Sir, may I direct you to the Budokai 3 HD collection which does indeed have multiplayer.

Beef Waifu posted:

WHAT? Motherfucker, you better have some hard evidence for this otherwise you will be having a bad day. NO ONE INSULTS THE HONORABLE SPORT OF PRO WRESTLING BY SAYING IT IS ACTING! These storylines are real!

All I'm say is that Hulk Hogan's former championship ring (or whatever it was) is not actually capable of allowing John Cena to tap into the power of Hulkamania and defeat his foes.

...That was the best thing, by the way, when it aired.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

budokai 3 hd has online? everything i've read says that it doesn't

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Covok posted:

Sir, may I direct you to the Budokai 3 HD collection which does indeed have multiplayer.

All I'm say is that Hulk Hogan's former championship ring (or whatever it was) is not actually capable of allowing John Cena to tap into the power of Hulkamania and defeat his foes.

I am glad we agree on this.

Raxivace posted:

So how good of a game can we actually expect Xenoverse to be? I've been debating pre-ordering it, or just picking up the Budokai HD Collection instead.

Or playing that SNES RPG that sounds cool.

Xenoverse looks like they are taking the best parts of the Tenkaichi gameplay and giving it to Dimps so there is more depth and speed to it. All we've got is Network Test gameplay and a 20 minute gameplay video to really go on, but the game actually looks like it could be pretty good so far. That being said, I am not dropping 60 bucks on another DBZ game unless I know for sure it's good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

budokai 3 hd has online? everything i've read says that it doesn't

Oh, no, it seems your right. That's disappointing. I thought there was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah it sucks

also i won't care about xenoverse DLC until they go full tenkaichi and add master roshi, yajirobe, and tao pai pai

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was reading that kazenshuu page about how Dragonball was unpopular at first but then really took off during the first Tenkaichi Budokai arc cause the readers love tournaments. I just don't get that. Tournament arcs in manga are always my least favorite thing and seem like a lousy cover up for a lack of plot. My interest in any anime drops if they ever get in a tournament, which is like all the goddamn time.

Do Japanese people just really love tournaments or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xibanya posted:

I was reading that kazenshuu page about how Dragonball was unpopular at first but then really took off during the first Tenkaichi Budokai arc cause the readers love tournaments. I just don't get that. Tournament arcs in manga are always my least favorite thing and seem like a lousy cover up for a lack of plot. My interest in any anime drops if they ever get in a tournament, which is like all the goddamn time.

Do Japanese people just really love tournaments or something?

Tournament arcs are apparently crazy-popular. A lot of manga authors are basically told "put one in, no matter what." Even in manga where it doesn't make sense sometimes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the tournament arc of naruto was like the best part of it

that said, dragon ball is a fighting manga. tournaments are a way to get people to fight people. we would have never gotten, say, goku vs master roshi without a tournament arc, but that fight was really cool.

it isn't really a 'oh, those japanese inferior genes must bias them t o liking tournament arcs, unlike my superior western genes which let me see them for the lovely excuses for a lack of plot that they are :smug:' thing, dragon ball is a manga for kids. kids like seeing dudes punch other dudes. tournament arcs are a way to get to the dude punching quickly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Tournaments can be fun distractions like in Dragonball, or loving awesome like in Yu Yu Hakusho. Or disappointing and flaccid, also like in Yu Yu Hakusho. I really enjoyed the Grand Magic Games in Fairy Tail because it wasn't a traditional bracket structure and was a team competition based on points earned in various events. It can definitely feel like a method for the author to put the story on cruise control for awhile as they come up with ideas but I dunno. I still like 'em.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Counterpoint - all the tournaments in Yu Yu Hakusho are garbage.

I give the first Budokai arc in Dragonball a pass because the motives for joining it fit the characters and story - the Kame school is out to have fun and test their skills and maybe win a prize (like, you know, the reason why people actually register for tournaments.)

But when there's some kind of tedious nonsense where for whatever reason winning a tourney is the only way for a character to achieve some unrelated goal...it's just tedious and awful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A defined setting where a bunch of people with (hopefully) esoteric and weird powers come together to beat the poo poo out of each other seems like something many readers of shounen manga/animes would like.

You don't have to put brakes on character development either, although it'll be hard to do big plot during that point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xibanya posted:

Nah, the filler one is loving awful and there's a reason the manga skips it almost completely.

The first tournament is the best part of the show though, just like Dragon Ball.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xibanya posted:

The Dark Tournament is one of the best Tournament arcs ever, though it really overuses "here's a big scary strong guy/lots of guys at once about to take on one little guy, whaaat the little guy one holy poo poo".

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 22, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah, the filler one is loving awful and there's a reason the manga skips it almost completely.

Er, it's not filler. The manga "skips" it because it was forced to end early so it had a rushed ending.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Xibanya posted:

um no

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Covok posted:

How close to a John Cena can we make in Xenoverse? Because if we can get a ton of identical Cenas running around and calling themselves the Cenation, it'd be one of the best games around.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And don't forget that G Gundam is technically one big Tournament Arc for almost the entire series(even if it takes a break from it for the Tokyo and Guyana Highlands arcs) and it's one of the best Mecha Animes ever made

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

G Gundam is cool and awesome, and has Gundams that turn Super Saiyan just because.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Xibanya posted:

So what you're saying is yu yu hakusho is garbage

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Covok posted:

Objection, that was Abyss that gained the powers of Hulk Hogan when given his hall of fame ring.

But it did give him the power to create a dangerous pit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GPmeVVAAg

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm not getting this game anymore because someone was talking poo poo about wrestling, the TRUE Battle of Gods. Fuckin' John Cena spits on Goku's dumb hair.

Where the hell is Banjo?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

So what you're saying is yu yu hakusho is garbage

I'm gonna break your spine Stairmaster

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not getting this game anymore because someone was talking poo poo about wrestling, the TRUE Battle of Gods. Fuckin' John Cena spits on Goku's dumb hair.

Cena can't hold The Champs belt.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Testekill posted:

Cena can't hold The Champs belt.

When I was growing up, the teacher asked what I wanted to be and I said John Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good dreams.

• Locked thread