Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
This was the clutchest defender medal. I had to throw myself between the enemy t29 and amx m4 at the end because otherwise they would cap out, the a-44 on the cap hits me and leaves me at 2hp and I just about get a shot in before he reloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Atal Vataman posted:

If i had no light tanks, or light tank experience i still think i would've gone for the american line, even though it has an incoming nerf. Most of the tanks are really really good at the moment, and looking at the patchnotes it doesnt look like they are getting nerfed that much. It will probably be a really solid line even after the nerfs, even though the t49 is a bit of a wildcard (with the 150mm) and expensive (with the 90mm). The chinese line is also really nice, but the lower tiers can't really compete with the stuff in the american line imo.

Where can I see the patch notes for the american light tanks nerfs?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

PirateBob posted:

Where can I see the patch notes for the american light tanks nerfs?

T37 Light Tank

- elite turret viewrange nerfed from 390 to 385
- 76mm T94 shot dispersion from moving turret nerfed by 50 percent
- 76mm T91 shot dispersion from moving turret nerfed by 50 percent, accuracy nerfed from 0,36 to 0,38

M41 Walker Bulldog

- Stock turret:
76mm T91 reload nerfed from 3,1s to 3,3s
76mm M32 reload nerfed from 3,8s to 4,5s
76 mm T91E5 clip reload nerfed from 34s to 38s

- Elite turret:
76mm T91 reload nerfed from 3s to 3,3s
76mm M32 reload nerfed from 3,3s to 4,1s
76 mm T91E5 clip reload nerfed from 32s to 36s
76mm M32 Late reload nerfed from 3,5s to 4,3s

shot dispersion nerf on the t37 seems pretty bad tho, but it will probably still be decent.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Those are some incomplete supertest WIP. I wouldn't spend too much energy analyzing them.

Also going from 0,08 to 0,12 turret bloom isn't a big deal.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Man, this 4000 spotting damage light mission is no joke.

That's seriously like, once every hundred-and-fifty games for me. That's a lot of spotting to just get on a whim.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

OSad posted:

That's seriously like, once every hundred-and-fifty games for me. That's a lot of spotting to just get on a whim.

I was chatting with Desuwa on the teamspeaks earlier, and after a point, you just have to let the mission come to you, and not you come to the mission.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

OSad posted:

Does that start at the Stug IV grind or does it come later?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

rockopete posted:

Does that start at the Stug IV grind or does it come later?

It's the last light mission on the StuG IV grind.

You can shoot tracks off too and get damage that way, but man, this hardly feels worth it just for another StuG.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

OSad posted:

You can shoot tracks off too and get damage that way, but man, this hardly feels worth it just for another StuG.

Is it worth it for a T-55? Cuz that's what you get to try and do after this (and the next) group of missions.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Wait for Prokhorovka/Fiery Salient. If you are a super fast light, you can get to the bushes in the 1 line midway up the edge of the map and sit quietly. Unless another light drives really close, you are invisible. Sit there until the rest of the enemy lights buzzing around in the middle get blowed up and then you can creep down the 1 line from bush to bush until you find a camping TD or heavy. Let your team destroy him. Repeat.

When I was doing the KV-220 mission I got something like 8900 spotting damage in a tier 10 game (can't remember which light I was in, but it was before the new ones came out). I get over 4k on that map almost every time unless I decide to shoot at anything (or my retard pubbies won't shoot anything). Malinovka is another good one for passive scouting. Even Steppes in some circumstances (although that is more likely to have you actively scouting and dodging rather than passively scouting).

Admittedly it is a lot harder now that there are so many lights in every game, but if you resist the urge to shoot them you can rack it up relatively easily. Of course whenever you get into a light you will see a steady diet of Himmelsdorf, Ensk, and Kharkov, so it might take awhile.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

WayAbvPar posted:

Wait for Prokhorovka/Fiery Salient. If you are a super fast light, you can get to the bushes in the 1 line midway up the edge of the map and sit quietly. Unless another light drives really close, you are invisible. Sit there until the rest of the enemy lights buzzing around in the middle get blowed up and then you can creep down the 1 line from bush to bush until you find a camping TD or heavy. Let your team destroy him. Repeat.

When I was doing the KV-220 mission I got something like 8900 spotting damage in a tier 10 game (can't remember which light I was in, but it was before the new ones came out). I get over 4k on that map almost every time unless I decide to shoot at anything (or my retard pubbies won't shoot anything). Malinovka is another good one for passive scouting. Even Steppes in some circumstances (although that is more likely to have you actively scouting and dodging rather than passively scouting).

Admittedly it is a lot harder now that there are so many lights in every game, but if you resist the urge to shoot them you can rack it up relatively easily. Of course whenever you get into a light you will see a steady diet of Himmelsdorf, Ensk, and Kharkov, so it might take awhile.

Don't forget Fjords and Windstorm.

My last ~30 T37 games have been solidly half Fjords and Windstorm

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
This thread is seriously underplaying how good BA actually is. It's a substitute for dozens upon dozens of games learning an individual arty's arc. It allows you to put the center of the reticule on the center of the enemy tank and actually have that mean something. Otherwise you're trying to guess (tempered by experience in the particular arty you're playing) where you need to aim to center the target tank in your aiming circle.

It doesn't technically make your arty more accurate or better, but it does take all the arc estimation/guesswork out of it.

It also helps a lot with tanks cloaking up and loving up your aim.

The Southern Dandy posted:

I was chatting with Desuwa on the teamspeaks earlier, and after a point, you just have to let the mission come to you, and not you come to the mission.

Depends on the mission. My favourite missions are the ones where they can't really be gamed, like killing two other mediums in a medium. Barring being a complete moron and holding your shots, you just play well and you'll get it after a few battles.

OSad posted:

Really not much to do for that except keep playing high tier light tanks and hope for a semi-competent (but not competent enough to spot their own targets) team on Prorkhorovka. I've gotten just a hair under 10k spotting with my 13 90 before. If you feel like you're close to it but not quite, and it's safe enough, become the pubbie and stop shooting enemy tanks.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Does "Accelerate Crew Training" also work with perks once the crew hits 100%?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The RNG is not being kind this evening. I just purchased my T25, and missed no less than four kills in the first two games to rolling under 200 on the damage roll, including a VK 28 that got away with 13 after taking a hit for 183. :sigh:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm almost convinced that when a tank takes damage that should kill it completely it gets a saving roll that gives it a 5% chance of leaving it alive with one HP instead. How much more often do you see tanks with 1 HP compared to tanks with 2 HP?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

MoraleHazard posted:

Does "Accelerate Crew Training" also work with perks once the crew hits 100%?

yes, who ever has the least exp in the crew towards the next skill gets it doubled.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I'm on my 35th battle trying for the Heavy mission where you must capture the base, and I'm realizing just how many of the maps are designed in such a way that a pubbie match is almost NEVER going to end in a base capture. Standard Prohokorovka? Not a snowballs chance in hell that it doesnt end in destruction.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Chillyrabbit posted:

yes, who ever has the least exp in the crew towards the next skill gets it doubled.

It's not doubled, you get a +1/Nth bonus where N is the number of crewmen. So if it's a tank with only two guys, you get a sizeable 50% bonus, but if it's a tank with 6 guys, your bonus is only 16%.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Are you sure you're not conflating the overall crew growth with that? The guy with the lowest experience gets double experience. This means that the total relative crew experience gained is reduced for larger crews.

EDIT: This is how my Chaffee gunner jumped from 26% to 85% on his second skill when I finished that Chaffee Race mission, while everybody else only jumped to 75%. That's a pretty loving big experience gap.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

McGavin posted:

I'm almost convinced that when a tank takes damage that should kill it completely it gets a saving roll that gives it a 5% chance of leaving it alive with one HP instead. How much more often do you see tanks with 1 HP compared to tanks with 2 HP?

Maybe it sets <10 HP tanks to 1 HP :tinfoil:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So the list of the worst maps in the game goes:

1) Province
2) Hidden Village
3) Swamp

Literally never cross the southeastern bridge.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Prav posted:

Maybe it sets <10 HP tanks to 1 HP :tinfoil:

I just left a tank with 1 HP in two consecutive games. :shepicide:

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
That totally wasn't very nice kicking me from the TS server Mr. Hellsau. Not my fault the pubby you shot got you banned.

I did laugh at your misery though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My T25 AT currently has a WR of 11%.

:suicide:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This light mission to get spotting damage and remain unspotted is dumb. Remaining unspotted isn't fun at all. Running around murdering the poo poo out of tanks is.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

OSad posted:

God dammit, Wargaming.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Rebought the Leo to do light missions and while I haven't completed many of them I have had boatloads of fun.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I wish the T-50-2 was still around. That thing was a goddamned riot to speed around in.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

That totally wasn't very nice kicking me from the TS server Mr. Hellsau. Not my fault the pubby you shot got you banned.

I did laugh at your misery though.

I'm doing my best to keep you from playing, just like I'm doing my best to keep me from playing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I just completed the medium tank mission of "set an enemy on fire" in the Sherman III, with a blind shot after a fleeing E25, which hit him in the rear end, set him alight and killed him.

Of course, that was basically all I accomplished in that battle so I didn't meet the secondary objective of being in the top 5 by XP, and I'm having horrible OCD to complete every mission with honours before moving onto the next one. Ugghhh.

EDIT: Heh, nailed in the very next battle thanks to a helpful enemy KV-1 who kindly let me hammer the side of his rear end a few times. :toot:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 22, 2015

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Hellsau posted:

I'm doing my best to keep you from playing, just like I'm doing my best to keep me from playing.

I just TK'd a light tank that was tracking me by pushing him into a river. Game didn't ban me.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Nordick posted:

Of course, that was basically all I accomplished in that battle so I didn't meet the secondary objective of being in the top 5 by XP, and I'm having horrible OCD to complete every mission with honours before moving onto the next one. Ugghhh.

I was going to do that, but then I realized that I prefer not to have my blood pressure rise to explosive levels. You can always go back and improve them later anyways.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I started grinding arty again after Battle Assistant came out and it's certainly a useful tool. It's not game-breaking but it gives you a different perspective. I think I've probably been taking more shots that I might not have previously and trying for angles that would otherwise be out of the question. It makes playing arty a more active experience because you're not always waiting for some dumb pub to get out of cover, you can now work out the risk/reward of trying a tricky shot that might hit him and scare him shitless.

Arty still isn't as fun as tanks, but BA makes it less intolerable.

And you still are rarely able to do more than supplement your team's efforts and watch as they helplessly do the dumbest poo poo possible while you beg them in chat not to.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I kinda wish they had put a moderate to tough XP/damage gating mission at the start of each set so you don't simultaneously have every single shitter in the game trying to do all the missions at once. Having to actually play a good game per class first would have spread out the rate at which people got into the missions proper and encouraged them to play well at least until that point.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Darkrenown posted:

I kinda wish they had put a moderate to tough XP/damage gating mission at the start of each set so you don't simultaneously have every single shitter in the game trying to do all the missions at once. Having to actually play a good game per class first would have spread out the rate at which people got into the missions proper and encouraged them to play well at least until that point.

nah, just don't allow sub 51%'ers from being able to do missions. problem solved

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The curse and blessing of arty is that you get an unusually good strategic overview.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

AlmightyPants posted:

I started grinding arty again after Battle Assistant came out and it's certainly a useful tool. It's not game-breaking but it gives you a different perspective. I think I've probably been taking more shots that I might not have previously and trying for angles that would otherwise be out of the question. It makes playing arty a more active experience because you're not always waiting for some dumb pub to get out of cover, you can now work out the risk/reward of trying a tricky shot that might hit him and scare him shitless.

Arty still isn't as fun as tanks, but BA makes it less intolerable.

And you still are rarely able to do more than supplement your team's efforts and watch as they helplessly do the dumbest poo poo possible while you beg them in chat not to.

That "different perspective" is huge though. Arty in top down view is a guessing game of where to put the center of your aim circle so that the actual shot dispersion circle is centered on the tank you want to shoot. BA makes your aim circle and the shot dispersion circle line up so the centre are the same. I could mspaint some images to illustrate my point.

It completely takes any guesswork or, for experienced players, estimation out of playing arty. It more or less removes player skill/experience at dealing with shell arcs and brings it down to just RNG. It also makes shots on moving targets on top of ridges or along reverse slopes so much easier.

I'm not the best arty player but in arty I'm generally not incompetent. BA turns my unexceptional arty play into something within spitting distance of my regular play in terms of contributing to battles. For shitters it can turn pubbies who rely completely on RNG correcting for their lovely aim to hit stationary targets into shitters who hit stationary tanks more often than not. On the other hand I'd rather this was built into the game and arty given a nerf. Make it weaker but more consistent and everyone wins.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Desuwa posted:

That "different perspective" is huge though. Arty in top down view is a guessing game of where to put the center of your aim circle so that the actual shot dispersion circle is centered on the tank you want to shoot. BA makes your aim circle and the shot dispersion circle line up so the centre are the same. I could mspaint some images to illustrate my point.

It completely takes any guesswork or, for experienced players, estimation out of playing arty. It more or less removes player skill/experience at dealing with shell arcs and brings it down to just RNG. It also makes shots on moving targets on top of ridges or along reverse slopes so much easier.

I'm not the best arty player but in arty I'm generally not incompetent. BA turns my unexceptional arty play into something within spitting distance of my regular play in terms of contributing to battles. For shitters it can turn pubbies who rely completely on RNG correcting for their lovely aim to hit stationary targets into shitters who hit stationary tanks more often than not. On the other hand I'd rather this was built into the game and arty given a nerf. Make it weaker but more consistent and everyone wins.

So now we know why experienced arty players don't like BA so much. They can no longer be that special snowflake that everyone hates.

Otherwise I agree, brought out my T92 after I installed BA and it was actually enjoyable to play for once. I am grinding through the SU-14-2 at the moment, and it is more enjoyable than I thought much thanks to BA. Now if only my teams of shitters were better, but that is what you get for not platooning.
So to sum it up, BA is great since it makes artillery more fun to play and everyone should just :dealwithit: since arty is not going away.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
I seriously dont understand why they are touching shot dispersion. Surely there are better ways of countering snapshots... This sounds dumb as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9OtzEa27g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Atal Vataman posted:

I seriously dont understand why they are touching shot dispersion. Surely there are better ways of countering snapshots... This sounds dumb as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9OtzEa27g
I assume they won't lower the price of ammo to compensate for it?