Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
According to Politico, Biden's planning a go for it.

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Why would anyone want president Biden? He's perfect as VP because he's funny and doesn't actually do anything, his actual policies are pretty awful.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

MaxxBot posted:

Why would anyone want president Biden? He's perfect as VP because he's funny and doesn't actually do anything, his actual policies are pretty awful.

Keep little girls away from him:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

What's Hilary got over him? Genuinely asking here.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I view them as basically equals on policy except Biden is especially awful on criminal justice and the drug war. Hillary polls better and would probably do considerably better with women, for me it's basically a lesser of two evils scenario so I want the most likely winner.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Most of the donor class, probably all of the big name campaign people.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Biden has a lot of natural charisma too.

Even if he doesn't win, having him in the primaries would be amazing.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Biden didn't exactly cover himself in glory regarding the Waco inquiry.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A3th3r posted:

ahhh.. my nemesis MIGF appears once again. Clinton will have to try to overcome 'Liberal Fatigue' if she hopes to win the presidency. America has already had 8 years of a Democrat in the hot seat so it really depends on whether they want more of the same or if they 'Vote for Change.'

Buddy, you must be from Canada, 'cause there ain't anywhere outside an ivy tower where 'middle class white' means 'liberal.'

Nativity In Black posted:

He's already written one wildly successful SotU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Armani posted:

Keep little girls away from him:

She's literally the daughter of the Delaware senator who took over after (the Senator who took over after) Biden stopped being a Delaware senator. Also they're both from Delaware where everyone knows everyone else, there's like 10 people here if you round up enough.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

She's not viewed as the distant second place contender. Thus, she has momentum and institutional support, as well as people taking her far more seriously than they do the Vice President. Perception is more important than reality and the general public perception of Biden is that he's a cartoonish gaffe machine, despite that not really holding any water during his time as VP. Even people who like the guy tend to think of him as Onion Biden, rather than as a serious statesman. That's not an easy thing to overcome.

In terms of more tangible stuff, about all Biden can truly "beat" Clinton on is legislative tenure. Their positions aren't wildly different on most issues, so he can't really pitch himself as a meaningful alternative to Clinton in terms of policy goals. I would also argue that Secretary of State is a more significant role than VP, both in terms of visibility and actual responsibilities.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

He didn't do much in the 2008 primaries. Even Edwards had more traction than he did.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ElegantFugue posted:

She's literally the daughter of the Delaware senator who took over after (the Senator who took over after) Biden stopped being a Delaware senator.

So what? When I see how handsy Biden is over and over, I feel as though I should lay 50/50 odds that a Cosby shoe will drop. Well maybe not Cosby, but a long line of women who might feel that he basically molested them.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

sullat posted:

He didn't do much in the 2008 primaries. Even Edwards had more traction than he did.

a sitting vice-president has more visibility and can round up more money (even with Hilary sitting on the main democratic donor streams) than a small-state Senator with two failed presidential runs already on his resume.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

So what? When I see how handsy Biden is over and over, I feel as though I should lay 50/50 odds that a Cosby shoe will drop. Well maybe not Cosby, but a long line of women who might feel that he basically molested them.

I wonder why they wouldn't have come out to do so at any point in the past. Biden's been running in primaries a couple times and has been a Senator for decades, it isn't like there wouldn't have been dumptrucks full of Scaifebux lined up down the block for anyone with a remotely plausible accusation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Biden was running for vice-president in 2008.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Well, you're equally free to interpret it as either "She's probably used to this," or "She probably has to deal with this constantly." Based on his history, Cosby shoes seem sort of unlikely to me, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A lock on the female vote.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In the current polls, Hillary is up 50 points over Biden. That's going to hurt him a lot, especially when it comes to fundraising.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The more fun question is who would hillary pick as vp

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Michelle would fit the narrative best. Certainly not a male VP.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I know it would never, ever happen but I kind of want her to pick Bill as her veep and then resign on her first day for no other reason than to piss off the right. It's a stupid dream but the head explosions from the right would be hilarious.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I know it would never, ever happen but I kind of want her to pick Bill as her veep and then resign on her first day for no other reason than to piss off the right. It's a stupid dream but the head explosions from the right would be hilarious.

And rightly so, as he cannot legally hold either position.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReidRansom posted:

Yep, VP has to basically meet all criteria for the Presidency, so Bill's a no-go.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
This will never happen, but a Clinton-Warren ticket would be amazing.

Does Ernst have a chance at all? Her speech was average and forgettable, which is a good thing most of the time (unless your speech was amazing, which is rare). She seems like a better version of Palin or O'donnell.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

ReidRansom posted:

Pretty sure it's legal if he gets elected speaker of the house instead though.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

FAUXTON posted:

Yep, VP has to basically meet all criteria for the Presidency, so Bill's a no-go.

The 22nd amendment only says a president can't get elected more than twice. Since a vice president doesn't become president through election it should still be legal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Bag of Milk posted:

The 22nd amendment only says a president can't get elected more than twice. Since a vice president doesn't become president through election it should still be legal.

The 12th Amendment specifies that a VP must be eligible for President.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

My Imaginary GF posted:

Buddy, you must be from Canada, 'cause there ain't anywhere outside an ivy tower where 'middle class white' means 'liberal.'

All along the Pacific Coast, much of New England, arguably the mountain states and some of the upper mid-west.

I am from Oregon and I still sometimes miss references to rich conservative white people. When I was growing up, the rich white people I knew were into yoga, Buddhism, environmentalism, and trying to outdo each other with multicultural experiences. I only much later realized that in less cool parts of the country, being rich and white meant you...ordered the expensive stuff at Olive Garden.

Which isn't totally irrelevant in partisan discussion, because there is a big chunk of educated, affluent people along the Pacific Coast who could and would hold fundraisers and support someone like Elizabeth Warren.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

computer parts posted:

The 12th Amendment specifies that a VP must be eligible for President.

Bill is eligible to be President (natural born, old enough etc.), just not eligible to stand for election to become President.

Not that this is an even remotely plausible scenario or anything though.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

sullat posted:

John Edwards' '08 campaign imploded because he was caught in an affair with a female staffer.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Edwards dropped out of the race before the affair became public. His wife died in between the two events.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A3th3r posted:

John Edwards' '08 campaign imploded because he was caught in an affair with a female staffer.

And yet he still did better than Biden, is the issue. Someone else thought Biden was running for VP, I'm not convinced. He just got lucky Obama wanted someone pre-vetted. Edwards was running for VP by the time he conceded, but then, he was also going a little nuts according to Game Change.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Daduzi posted:

Bill is eligible to be President (natural born, old enough etc.), just not eligible to stand for election to become President.

Look at these RAW dorks over here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Michelle would fit the narrative best. Certainly not a male VP.

Michelle might actually be the strategically optimal choice. Bill and Barack back in the White House with smiles bigger than Biden's. That's got to do a number on the Republican base since so many of them are refusing Obamacare out of spite and have no one to help with their rage strokes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I sincerely wish that Joe Biden gets to become the first ever 3 term vice president, and after the first ever 4 term vice president.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A3th3r posted:

Didn't he drop out before then?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Gyges posted:

Michelle might actually be the strategically optimal choice. Bill and Barack back in the White House with smiles bigger than Biden's. That's got to do a number on the Republican base since so many of them are refusing Obamacare out of spite and have no one to help with their rage strokes.

I'm absolutely certain this won't happen, but I don't think I've ever wanted to be wrong so badly in my life.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Badger of Basra posted:

Didn't he drop out before then?

Yeah. Edwards campaign was already over, but supposedly (according to Game Change and probably bullshit) his top staff knew about the affair and promised to sabotage the campaign if he actually came close to winning the nomination. I highly doubt that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
With the scrutiny we put candidates under combined with the digital trail that modern communications create the only real way to never have your affair discovered is to not gently caress around.

• Locked thread