Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

^ They summed it up pretty well. Sacrificing form for reps pretty much. Being able to open a gym by doing a weekend course and paying some money. Injuries are like some sort of stepping stone and they don't learn from their mistakes. poo poo like "got 2 slipped discs and in a lot of pain but I'm pushing through!!" Denying it was originally from crossfit. They get rhabdomyolysis sometimes which is like, really hard to do. And they make a joke about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yeah, they actually made a rhabdo cartoon character that they put on shirts. Don't forget the importance of wearing neon colors and high socks, as they are a big part of it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

KildarX posted:

There's a bunch of threads on it in GBS you could look at, but what it boils down to is complex lifts/body weight exercises, done at weights the people doing them shouldn't be doing, encouraged to be done with lovely form, till exhaustion, where upon they end up injured. On top of which they are all generally really jazzed about it and will use any excuse to tell you all about it. Which causes people on the internet to be not jazzed about it and use any excuse to tell you all about it.

On the other hand, San Francisco CrossFit was founded by Kelly Starrett, a guy who stresses good form in every aspect of your life and does physical therapy for Olympians. He even has recommended ways to sit on the toilet. Sadly a large portion of the population will not be able to make the informed decision of going there versus going to another CrossFit gym that's $20 cheaper a month with a coach who only has two weekends of certifications under him.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 20, 2015

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

olylifter posted:

That is goddamn scandalous. Two sessions a week? Every BJJ place I've been to has at least 8x a week at varying times of the day.

The worst part is that it is Blue and Purple Belts who are teaching it. There was one BJJ black belt in the area that did a excellent job with several classes a week at all levels, but he moved to Brazil so it made a vacuum of lovely schools that teach BJJ among other arts in town. The BJJ gyms attracts a lot of students and women to the classes due to their familiarity with BJJ, marketing, and location. They hit the same belt as the instructors in a short time and their development stagnates. They usually start looking after that because they are not paying to do the same thing every week in sub-par conditions.

We usually get women from the Black Belt BJJ Instructor coming to our Judo club due to their lack of development and training partners from the current instructors. They are really competent with their fighting and super chill so they fit right in with our gym when they throw that white belt on again. Some of the guys are the same, but we usually get big egos that get crushed in fighting.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gadamer posted:

On the other hand, San Francisco CrossFit was founded by Kelly Starrett, a guy who stresses good form in every aspect of your life and does physical therapy for Olympians. He even has recommended ways to sit on the toilet. Sadly a large portion of the population will not be able to make the informed decision of going there versus going to another CrossFit gym that's $20 cheaper a month with a coach who only has two weekends of certifications under him.

When you're paying $250/month what's $20 more

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Gadamer posted:

Never met a Crossfit coach that wouldn't stress good form over reps.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The whole "I know this great crossfit coach that knows his poo poo and he totally stresses form above everything else!" Is the new "my uncle at Nintendo..."

Even then when you're competing for reps it all goes out the window

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
A friend of mine is going to a brown belt test in judo pretty soon and I'm his uke, today we went through the kata in great detail and jesus christ I'm only now beginning to understand how kata teaches you extremely bad habits for actual grappling.

I have never ever understood kata, no matter what martial art. Why is it a thing? Why would anybody need to do it? You can of course become an excellent fighter without it, why is it in almost all traditional martial arts, no matter what is the country of origin? I've figured kata was a good way to teach standardized stuff to large number of soon-to-be-warriors back in medieval times, like give them a set-in-stone shadow boxing routine (kata), a couple of drills and then just spar, wrestle and grapple like crazy. After x time passes, you've got soldiers with some skill. My reasoning might be complete bullshit, I honestly don't have any idea, but I don't understand why a modern practicioner should do it. You've got your basic technique and then you spar and along the way you figure out which tecniques suit you and how you can set them up and how to modify it so that it suits you. That's it. Why would I need to learn a dance, try to figure out what it means and then try to put that into my sparring? It's so rear end-backwards it drives me crazy.

Karate dude Iain Abernathy has a lot of kata stuff like this, but fighting is already hard enough without this. There are only so many ways you can strike, thow and submit. If you do full contact sports, you will learn all of them and you don't have to adjust much to "un-sportify" them, like aiming a your punch a little lower in order to punch the throat or when throwing with o-soto-gari, kicking sideways to the knee instead of sweeping. If you can do the regular version well in sparring/match, you can do the "battle" version just as easily. You don't need kata for that.

It just goes over my head and hard.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

woops

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 20, 2015

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

A friend of mine is going to a brown belt test in judo pretty soon and I'm his uke, today we went through the kata in great detail and jesus christ I'm only now beginning to understand how kata teaches you extremely bad habits for actual grappling.

I have never ever understood kata, no matter what martial art. Why is it a thing? Why would anybody need to do it? You can of course become an excellent fighter without it, why is it in almost all traditional martial arts, no matter what is the country of origin? I've figured kata was a good way to teach standardized stuff to large number of soon-to-be-warriors back in medieval times, like give them a set-in-stone shadow boxing routine (kata), a couple of drills and then just spar, wrestle and grapple like crazy. After x time passes, you've got soldiers with some skill. My reasoning might be complete bullshit, I honestly don't have any idea, but I don't understand why a modern practicioner should do it. You've got your basic technique and then you spar and along the way you figure out which tecniques suit you and how you can set them up and how to modify it so that it suits you. That's it. Why would I need to learn a dance, try to figure out what it means and then try to put that into my sparring? It's so rear end-backwards it drives me crazy.

Karate dude Iain Abernathy has a lot of kata stuff like this, but fighting is already hard enough without this. There are only so many ways you can strike, thow and submit. If you do full contact sports, you will learn all of them and you don't have to adjust much to "un-sportify" them, like aiming a your punch a little lower in order to punch the throat or when throwing with o-soto-gari, kicking sideways to the knee instead of sweeping. If you can do the regular version well in sparring/match, you can do the "battle" version just as easily. You don't need kata for that.

It just goes over my head and hard.

Some of it is about building form and balance (why do boxers jump rope, it's not like they'll be hopping around the ring!) and sometimes it's about drilling instinctiveness into it. Sometimes it's about being able to train even though you don't have a partner. Sometimes it's about emphasising technique over strength. (e.g. built rear end BJJ guys going 'but I can crank him into tapping from here, why do I need to keep working technique?') sometimes the kata is also an end in itself. Why bother sparring for points when you could be 'more real' and actually kill the guy? As a gate for a higher rank that might rankle but I know in my old gym being able to do kata was seen as a display of self-discipline and respect. It meant you were taking the time to go over a set of movements over and over and work on doing it better each time and taking critiques and advice each time. So having that be part of the gating for higher belts worked to cut down oversized egos and jerky jerks who might, e.g. make sparring dangerous. (And, conversely, being willing to step up and spar showed a willingness to be tough and improvise off script and was obviously also an aspect of the art, so refusing to spar would slow your belt advancement too. I was never a kata superstar but I kept pace beltwise by competing in sparring.)

Tie this into the conversation happening about Crossfit and emphasizing reps over form.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Gadamer posted:

He's known worldwide for his mobility tutorials / videos / books, but yeah, he probably throws all that out the window when telling his students to get more reps. It is still CrossFit, after all.

No he doesn't. Starrett not only insists that proper form is more 'healthy' (less prone to injury), but also stronger and more efficient.
Again, every class, especially those that involve heavy lifts with reps, proper form is emphasized. The only ones where it's 'accepted', is some of the high-rep, low weight, but even then we're told that proper form is more efficient and stronger.

Competitions are different (and I'm still not sure that I like Crossfit as a 'sport'.) and while it's clearly the most visible aspect of Crossfit, I think it's unfair to judge it based on that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

the JJ posted:

(why do boxers jump rope, it's not like they'll be hopping around the ring!)

cardio?

Not referencing the dude in that video but in America is it a requirement that you have to be a fat old white dude to get a black belt in karate or TKD?

re: kata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHlg1MqrxU

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No he doesn't. Starrett not only insists that proper form is more 'healthy' (less prone to injury), but also stronger and more efficient.
Again, every class, especially those that involve heavy lifts with reps, proper form is emphasized. The only ones where it's 'accepted', is some of the high-rep, low weight, but even then we're told that proper form is more efficient and stronger.

Competitions are different (and I'm still not sure that I like Crossfit as a 'sport'.) and while it's clearly the most visible aspect of Crossfit, I think it's unfair to judge it based on that.

I'm a dumby and mixed up Nostalgia's post with yours in who was making GBS threads on Starrett. My bad. I have his book and think he's a great coach.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

:thejoke:
By the logic being presented, why not just box a few rounds, that way you don't have to unlearn the bad habit of bouncing up and down.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh

Where does shadow boxing fit in here?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've always liked judo kata, particularly the nage no kata. I like that it demonstrates the fundamentals of the different throws through a logically adaptive but idiotically persistent uke.

For example, the first set shows an attacker who pushes tori, leaning into him. When that doesn't work, uke attempts a striking attack at the top of the head. Third is similar to the first attack, but uke instead remains rigidly upright instead of leaning into the attack. Each throw in the sequence shows a new attack from uke and a different principle from tori to exploit the opening.

Plus there's all the metaphysical crap like discipline, coordination, balance, respect for the foundations of the sport..

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManOfTheYear posted:

A friend of mine is going to a brown belt test in judo pretty soon and I'm his uke, today we went through the kata in great detail and jesus christ I'm only now beginning to understand how kata teaches you extremely bad habits for actual grappling. .

Kata is Judo slow dancing. It is extremely stylized and the uke is doing a lot more than tori to make it successful. Kata isn't for everybody and a pretty small part of Judo. But I'm not sure where you get the idea that it teaches bad habits. It is stylized and the movements are exaggerated but that's the whole point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcVfmmMBLY

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

oh

Where does shadow boxing fit in here?

Like kata, a way to drill forms and stance without a partner?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

the JJ posted:

(e.g. built rear end BJJ guys going 'but I can crank him into tapping from here, why do I need to keep working technique?')

have you ever actually met this person

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

I have never ever understood kata, no matter what martial art. Why is it a thing?

My old karate teacher said that each kata was a different style of fighting and that I could understand it after drilling and training enough.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

have you ever actually met this person

One or two of the type. They tend to either wise up or quit pretty fast.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

the JJ posted:

One or two of the type. They tend to either wise up or quit pretty fast.

I think this is a strange stereotype and I've run into it in both of the judo clubs that I've been to, and these were from people who were otherwise very nice. Judo's groundwork is faster, more aggressive, and the armlocks are adapted into less-efficient forms in order to get around the "no shoulderlocks" rule. Less efficient in the sense that you need to crank the arm a lot further to get a tap. Physicality is emphasized far more in Judo than BJJ, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the stereotype is backwards. If you've met these people they were probably beginners.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think this is a strange stereotype and I've run into it in both of the judo clubs that I've been to, and these were from people who were otherwise very nice. Judo's groundwork is faster, more aggressive, and the armlocks are adapted into less-efficient forms in order to get around the "no shoulderlocks" rule. Less efficient in the sense that you need to crank the arm a lot further to get a tap. Physicality is emphasized far more in Judo than BJJ, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the stereotype is backwards. If you've met these people they were probably beginners.

Ummm... that's the point I'm making? Man of the Year was saying 'why do kata's' and one of many reasons I was giving was 'to work technique and not strength.' Some guys go in thinking they're hot poo poo because they can get people to tap without proper technique and so don't think it's worth drilling. Inevitably they'll get topped by people who drill the techniques.

mewse
May 2, 2006

the JJ posted:

(why do boxers jump rope, it's not like they'll be hopping around the ring!)

Footwork is "hopping around the ring" :confused:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

mewse posted:

Footwork is "hopping around the ring" :confused:

Yes I loving know. That's the point I was making jfc.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Perhaps a kata is like shadow boxing, yes.

edit: upon further reflecting on the issue, perhaps not, however dancing and gymnastics are also a neat thing to do well

Ligur fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 21, 2015

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Would I be a huge wuss for skipping BJJ practice for an infected ingrown toenail with pus oozing out? Now that I type that, I am thinking no one wants to roll with that, but its only my fifth practice and I fee like a huge pussy.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jesus, stay away.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Dregs posted:

Would I be a huge wuss for skipping BJJ practice for an infected ingrown toenail with pus oozing out? Now that I type that, I am thinking no one wants to roll with that, but its only my fifth practice and I fee like a huge pussy.

Stay the gently caress off the mats and see a doctor.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yeah, looking up a podiatrist now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I dunno, I think I'd rather infect the entire gym instead of acting like a little bitch.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

mewse posted:

I dunno, I think I'd rather infect the entire gym instead of acting like a little bitch.

Yeah I didn't consider the mats until I typed it out. I'm doing this to lose weight and get healthy and I still have to motivate myself before each practice. I am afraid I'll talk myself into quitting by coming up with excuses.

I feel like poo poo for missing practice still.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It happens, man. Try other things while you can't roll. I felt the same when I first started BJJ. Had to miss a week or two while my feet healed up. It's frustrating because you're only just getting into it, but it's the best move. If for nothing else, you don't want to be known as the gross feet dude.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

The Dregs posted:

I feel like this whenever I have to miss a class too so don't feel bad, just get your nasty toe fixed permanently so you can go back. When I was a teenager I had to get the nail-beds removed on the outer-edges of both my big toes due to perpetually infected ingrown toenails. Turns out they probably would've been avoidable if I'd had an actual podiatrist who could fit me for orthotics ( fallen arches forcing too much pressure on the outside edges of my toes ), I'm sure yours has considered that but not sure if this is a chronic thing for you.

Semi-related side note, I'm starting to get some serious calluses on all of my knuckles & toes. It's kind of gross but I'm kind of proud, it's like I'm collecting them. The only ones I'm missing on my hands are the second ( middle? whatever ) knuckle on my pinky fingers. The mat-burn on one of my toes has left a significant divot, not sure how that happened, but it's not quite done healing yet so maybe it'll fill in.

Feet are gross.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 22, 2015

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

ICHIBAHN posted:

It happens, man. Try other things while you can't roll. I felt the same when I first started BJJ. Had to miss a week or two while my feet healed up. It's frustrating because you're only just getting into it, but it's the best move. If for nothing else, you don't want to be known as the gross feet dude.

Or the guy that caused this...
:nms:
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2056
:nms:

Warning horrible staph infections of MMA.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Definitely clicking that link.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

I felt the same thing when a grade 2 ankle sprain took me out for a month and a half. I kept myself motivated by reading as much I could, getting some grip trainers, and doing kettle ball exercises that did not put stress on my ankle. It was not the same as doing actual Judo but it kept me chomping at the bit for the day when I could get back to training.

Afterwards, it was just making it habit again. I look forward to getting on the mats as it is my two hours of nirvana where nothing else matter in my life but the people I am training with.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's exactly what I did pretty much. Read a BJJ book, watched videos, did kettle bells & took jogs. Shame to have missed time but it has to be done.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Same here with my chest/back injury. Lifted some heavy things, biked around, watched videos. Though I must say I did lose motivation for studying BJJ after a while. I love doing it more than studying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I've tried reading up on a couple styles on Bullshido, but after feeling out their biases, I feel like it would be better for me to ask this here: anyone practiced Wing Chun for an extended period here? I'm looking at a couple disciplines for fitness and personal development. I'm not interested in competing in MMA. I have taken some Kempo around here, and while I've learned great it hasn't won me over for long term practice at this point. We have what I've been told is a great school for Wing Chun nearby that I'm going to try, maybe tomorrow.

My other option that I'm more seriously thinking about picking up is Aikido. I'm looking for something to calm my mind and help with anger and stress management that's also active and fun. I've practiced Kempo and Judo in the past, but after a bad car accident and multiple concussions, I've decided to move on from those.

• Locked thread