Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I think he was planning on starting with procedurally generated dice games, actually.

Personally I can't wait until we get the first tantrum spiral from a dwarf losing a dice game and then starting a bar fight that just spreads throughout the entire fortress. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

mornhaven posted:

It used to work when choosing an embark site, but before assigning skills.

e: doesn't appear to work with the latest LNP. :shrug:

Boo that's a shame :(

Is there a hotkey or a way to turn off being able to see multiple Z-levels while in the game? I love how it looks for just playing, but it can make digging channels on the top level a huge pain in the rear end sometimes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's an external plugin, remember? Try multilevel 0.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

cyxx posted:

How do people feel about dfhack autolabor? It feels kind of cheaty, but when I think about it I pretty much do the same thing on a smaller scale. If I don't have anyone with woodcrafting to finish building the craftsdwarf workshop I enable the labor, let him build it, and turn it off. I haven't played a full game with it on but seems like it'll be kind of nice to minimize idle dwarfs and get their lazy dwarf asses to do some planting.

I've tried it a couple of times, but I always find there are jobs that aren't getting done. I always end up going back to managing it with Nirruden's Custom Professions in Dwarf Therapist. Just throw all new migrants into Hauler - Peasant, and promote them out based on skill or need. I get the idea that I could probably tweak autolabor settings enough that eventually it would work well for how I play, but sinking that much time into automating something I spend barely any time on already doesn't make much sense. I only care about minimizing idlers very early on, later mostly I want people ready to do their specialized job when it is available, not tied up doing something else.

I used to use autobutcher a lot more but it doesn't seem to prioritize killing gay or asexual animals like it should, so I've also switched to using Dwarf Therapist to select animals I want butchered.

Also Dwarf Therapist is great in how easy it is to add Dwarves to military squads. You have to make the squad in game, but once it exists you can pick your draftees in Therapist.

Basically Dwarf Therapist is awesome.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Procedurally generate gaming. That's the most Dwarf Fortress thing I've ever heard of. I hope he implements RPGs and spends a year developing out the adventure mode playing of them.

This is why the UI sucks, okay? And it's worth it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Why did it take me so long to realize that DFHack lets me Ctrl+A Alt+A to choose what material will be used for a job? This. Changes. Everything.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 19, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Do y'all think DFHack would let me fix the horrified at goblin corpses bug?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

Why did it take me so long to realize that DFHack lets me Ctrl+A to choose what material will be used for a job? This. Changes. Everything.

Oh my god I've been cheating suboptimally for so long.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Sub Rosa posted:

Why did it take me so long to realize that DFHack lets me Ctrl+A to choose what material will be used for a job? This. Changes. Everything.

That plus workflow gets rid of a lot of the annoying micro.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

scamtank posted:

It's an external plugin, remember? Try multilevel 0.
Yeah I knew it's from a plugin. That command is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Sub Rosa posted:

Well poo poo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Whoa hey remember me griping 6 months ago that you can't change the timer on regional interactions beyond WEEKLY? Someone read the string dump closer than me and saw DAILY, MONTHLY and YEARLY getting added in the mix. We should be able to make the evil biome resurrection not suck rear end now!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

necrotic posted:

That plus workflow gets rid of a lot of the annoying micro.

Yeah, I love workflow, and this solves some instances where it can't figure out the output of the job, or just sees it as "bags of any powder."

I still need to level up my understanding of how to link stockpiles to shops to force material flows, though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

scamtank posted:

Whoa hey remember me griping 6 months ago that you can't change the timer on regional interactions beyond WEEKLY? Someone read the string dump closer than me and saw DAILY, MONTHLY and YEARLY getting added in the mix. We should be able to make the evil biome resurrection not suck rear end now!

It is almost the eve of Hallowmas. The dead will rise on this day. Beware!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Spanish Matlock posted:

It is almost the eve of Hallowmas. The dead will rise on this day. Beware!

The Nightmare Before Dwarfmas.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Ghostwoods posted:

The Nightmare Before, After, and During Dwarfmas.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Anyone happen to know a way to force a civ member to go pick up new clothing? Playing a Masterwork Warlock fort and a raised a dude from the dead, but now he won't wear clothes and it is causing him sadbrains. I dug around in the help for dfhack but nothing stands out (cleanowned does not help, fixnaked removes the unhappy thought but doesn't actually make him go get/wear new clothes, which is preferable)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Draft him and put clothes as his uniform?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Can guard dogs (in a 1x1 pasture) see through fortifications? Wondering if I can put my watch dogs one z-level above my draw bridges so that they're not just sitting there waiting to get mauled by something.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Draft him and put clothes as his uniform?

That's an idea, I'll try that.

e: durr as it turns out I had a genuine shortage of clothes, and when the dude died another shitbird pounced on his shoes :qq:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

scamtank posted:

Wow, this rickety piece of poo poo actually compiled. If anyone isn't too bothered by a pile of missing globals (only the plugins sort, strangemood and zone seem to be out of action) and misses the basic functions, here is the latest-version compile of DFHack.

My usual refusal to take any responsibility if things don't work goes double this time. At least digv, prospect and the workshop mat selection GUI seem to be fine.

Thanks so much for providing this, by the way.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesh Forge posted:

That's an idea, I'll try that.

e: durr as it turns out I had a genuine shortage of clothes, and when the dude died another shitbird pounced on his shoes :qq:

The obvious problem is so rarely the actual problem.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You also don't really expect some cold blooded motherfucker to grab the shoes off a corpse before it even has time to get carted off to the mortuary but yeah zombies are some hard sons of bitches like that.

e: mechanically that is literally how it works, dude falls over dead and everyone else goes OMG SHOES

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM honk

Toady One posted:

Continuing to go through stuff -- breaks and generic parties are gone, needs are in, and people go to hang out at taverns and temples according to their needs. There are simple activities set up, and the next project is to flesh those out with randomized stuffs so that we can move on to visitors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scamtank posted:

breaks and generic parties are gone,

Oh thank god. gently caress the UI stuff, this is the thing I wanted changed.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

Oh thank god. gently caress the UI stuff, this is the thing I wanted changed.

From the language following that little snippet, they are not so much gone as replaced with something else; i.e., dwarfs will still randomly loaf about instead of feeding a starving patient or prisoner, but now they will do so in a tavern or temple instead of in the meeting hall. At least that is my reading of it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As long as its one dwarf satisfying his needs rather then one dwarf going "Hey gently caress work! Who is with me?" and knocking the entire fort's production to a standstill its an improvement.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Hopefully the job priorities things will put trading above partying, otherwise you'll have to murder all the dwarves with autumn birthdays to keep their festivities from distracting your broker.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm just satisfied they're DOING something. Not just sitting stock still in a big silent clump in the dining room, watching each other's social skills bloating.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It'd be cool if your guys will go on strike if you treat them too cruelly with cute little signs aimed at the player.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope he remembers zoos, statue gardens and memorial halls when designing dwarf's entertainment preferences. :ohdear: It would be a shame if they all became useless.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

From the language following that little snippet, they are not so much gone as replaced with something else; i.e., dwarfs will still randomly loaf about instead of feeding a starving patient or prisoner, but now they will do so in a tavern or temple instead of in the meeting hall. At least that is my reading of it.

This is great though, because those assholes were all like "ahh time for a break, LET ME WALK 20 MILES THROUGH THE MINEFIELD INTO THE ARMY OF GOBLINS WAITING OUTSIDE"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angela Christine posted:

I hope he remembers zoos, statue gardens and memorial halls when designing dwarf's entertainment preferences. :ohdear: It would be a shame if they all became useless.

I cannot be the only one troubled by the prospect of some dwarf feeling the "need" to go to a zoo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

I cannot be the only one troubled by the prospect of some dwarf feeling the "need" to go to a zoo.

:stare: I am now!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sometimes you just need to get away from people and go admire a cage full of cats.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I checked the DF forums and apparently startdwarf doesn't work in DFHack because someone just forgot to put 'start_dwarf_count' in symbols.xml in the last release. I looked around some more and it's kind of weird how there aren't any options out there for editing/messing with your initial embark. I don't know if it's a pain in the rear end to mod or what, but I would've figured that there'd be some kind of "Do whatever the hell you want before embarking" plugin/script/mod by now. Being able to set how many dwarves you want to start with seems like it'd make for some fun challenges/scenarios, like starting with 15 military dudes in the middle of a horrible evil biome or with just 2-3 dwarves and seeing how far you can get, etc. Oh well, just gonna have to wait for DFHack to update to 40.24 I guess.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Flesh Forge posted:

This is great though, because those assholes were all like "ahh time for a break, LET ME WALK 20 MILES THROUGH THE MINEFIELD INTO THE ARMY OF GOBLINS WAITING OUTSIDE"

The only way this should happen is if you left your wagon intact, since it's the default meeting zone. I suggest not leaving it intact, especially since you get free wood out of the deal.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angela Christine posted:

Sometimes you just need to get away from people and go admire a cage full of cats.

My university has a room where you can go play with kittens or puppies as a way to healthily relieve stress. It is the best feature of my university. :buddy:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nietzschean posted:

My university has a room where you can go play with kittens or puppies as a way to healthily relieve stress. It is the best feature of my university. :buddy:

What the hell? I want to quit work and enroll at your school. The only caged animals here are rats and postdocs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RedTonic posted:

What the hell? I want to quit work and enroll at your school. The only caged animals here are rats and postdocs.

Urist McMiner cancels dig channel: fulfilling need to play with cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nietzschean posted:

Urist McMiner cancels dig channel: fulfilling need to play with cats.

Urist McMiner cancels play with cats: Trapped in cage.