Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good Citizen posted:

Oh ok. Obviously I hadn't found a chance to play yet when I wrote that. I think you could with the 3 ultimate demo though? Been a while so I may be mistaken

Nope, nothing was transfered over from the 3U demo either I think. Smash did this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Here are two more NA demo codes:

A071 4MJS 1NG9 W3EY
A071 BJ54 08FG 7PGC

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good Citizen posted:

A070VNY80DM0P558

Took this last one, downloading now. Didn't think it'd still be there; had to update my system on my slow connection, but hey. I guess I got lucky. Thanks much.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone managed to solo Gore with the heavy bowgun? All of his moves have such a large range I feel like dodging would be problematic. I managed to take him with the light bowgun with just under 5 minutes left.

I had really good results with HBG-- most of his moves other than his tail swipe are either charges that move him forward or his breath attacks which are easily avoided from his side. Pierce 2 can hit both legs and wings pretty easily when he's not in ultra rage mode, and when he is it's actually a lot safer to be in front of him because he rarely uses his long range breath attack. Bait him into doing his stomp and you can unload on his head for days with normal or crag to knock him out of rage.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
Does anyone know if Social Dissonance is going to post any tutorials for MH4U? I'm sure he did a couple when MH4 launched in Japan, but with MH4U launching domestically in a few weeks you'd think he'd capitalize on the sudden interest and post new videos. I mostly just want to learn how the new weapons and mechanics function, but I don't trust Capcom to have an in depth tutorial for this game.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Dinotron posted:

Does anyone know if Social Dissonance is going to post any tutorials for MH4U? I'm sure he did a couple when MH4 launched in Japan, but with MH4U launching domestically in a few weeks you'd think he'd capitalize on the sudden interest and post new videos. I mostly just want to learn how the new weapons and mechanics function, but I don't trust Capcom to have an in depth tutorial for this game.

This is all you need my friend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA

Gaijinhunter's channel. In depth video tutorials for every weapon, including the new ones.

Austin72
Apr 3, 2010
Got 3 extra NA demo codes from nintendo
A0700FLQ34YGFVAH
A0706Y8W1CHTAUAV
A070XXHP0QA967SG

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I also have a couple of codes left over. First come, first served!

A070ERES16HU0NP4
A071EHFE2JBJS978

EDIT: Taken.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 24, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dinotron posted:

As another argument, it makes little sense to produce video tutorials with the japanese version and thus japanese text when your viewing audience is primarily english speaking and the english version is definitely coming out soon--his MH4 videos were primarily geared toward helping other importers. I mean, the menus aren't that big of a deal but if he wants to talk about, say, the new bow/bowgun skills he's going to want the official translated names for the gems/skill itself; making/editing tutorial videos isn't exactly trivial so I'd think if he was going to do them he'd only want to do them once and in the best way possible for the intended audience. From what I've seen of his stuff "capitalize" isn't really what his channel is there for--he just wants to help the community because he likes it.

As Callick pointed out, until then gaijinhunter's videos are great. His tumblr has always had excellent guides as well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Callick posted:

This is all you need my friend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA

Gaijinhunter's channel. In depth video tutorials for every weapon, including the new ones.

That channel doesn't have every weapon as far as I can see yet :( The guy's tumblr seems to have written guides for each one though.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I appreciate the work that Gaijin has put into his tutorials but I adore SocialDissonance's voice and I absorb audio information much better than written info personally. I heard that the Teamworkcast crew was coming back for 4U because everyone was getting capture card 3DSs.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Got some codes a week ago and I didn't even realise!! Help assuage how much of a Complete Goose I feel like by using these extra codes:

A0783QKK0FKUCED0

A078AG0B2AWXDF1L

They're Australian so I guess they won't work on NA but probably work on EU? Idk

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Austin72 posted:

Got 3 extra NA demo codes from nintendo
A0700FLQ34YGFVAH
A0706Y8W1CHTAUAV
A070XXHP0QA967SG

Grabbed the bottom one, top was already gone. Thanks!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Decus posted:

As another argument, it makes little sense to produce video tutorials with the japanese version and thus japanese text when your viewing audience is primarily english speaking and the english version is definitely coming out soon--his MH4 videos were primarily geared toward helping other importers. I mean, the menus aren't that big of a deal but if he wants to talk about, say, the new bow/bowgun skills he's going to want the official translated names for the gems/skill itself; making/editing tutorial videos isn't exactly trivial so I'd think if he was going to do them he'd only want to do them once and in the best way possible for the intended audience. From what I've seen of his stuff "capitalize" isn't really what his channel is there for--he just wants to help the community because he likes it.

As Callick pointed out, until then gaijinhunter's videos are great. His tumblr has always had excellent guides as well.

:stare:

I gotta boot the demo back up tonight. I think... I think I might switch from Long Sword to Charge Blade after reading that guide.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't know what weapon to start with. I like all the changes made to Sword N Shield, Hammer, Gunlance and Switch Axe.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Watched a few gaijinhunter videos myself this morning, and it blew my mind how many things I've missed mechanically. This game has so many intricacies that can completely change your playstyle. Gunlance can reload after a backhop? Shiiiiiiit.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

cpaf posted:

Got some codes a week ago and I didn't even realise!! Help assuage how much of a Complete Goose I feel like by using these extra codes:

A0783QKK0FKUCED0

A078AG0B2AWXDF1L

They're Australian so I guess they won't work on NA but probably work on EU? Idk

Grabbed the top one, cheers for that, most appreciated. (I also don't know if it's NA or EU as I'm Aus 3DS as well)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So the other night I, as a virgin HR3, wound up in a group doing some HR4 stuff and did pretty well, we fought Brachydios and the other 2 higher ranked guys died but we still killed it. So we did it a few more times and I got enough parts to where I made a Dios Bell hunting horn, which is way higher rarity than anything else I have right now. Are there any fun/stupid ways I can abuse having a slime weapon that's supposed to be out of my league?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

metasynthetic posted:

So the other night I, as a virgin HR3, wound up in a group doing some HR4 stuff and did pretty well, we fought Brachydios and the other 2 higher ranked guys died but we still killed it. So we did it a few more times and I got enough parts to where I made a Dios Bell hunting horn, which is way higher rarity than anything else I have right now. Are there any fun/stupid ways I can abuse having a slime weapon that's supposed to be out of my league?

solo slime abuse comes from bow use. Otherwise just hunt in groups with other slime users. You should be able to keep any monster on its back for most of the fight.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i've been reading gaijinhunter's hunting horn guides and he talks about horns that can give stuff like attack up large and status immunity, are those new to 4 or am i just not getting any of the good horns in 3u?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Song_Table_Purple

This should help. Find yourself a horn with the list of notes you need, and make it. :)

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
oh, it's g-rank only. yeah that's probably not gonna happen.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

solo slime abuse comes from bow use. Otherwise just hunt in groups with other slime users. You should be able to keep any monster on its back for most of the fight.

Dual blades also work, to a lesser effect.

I tend to have good results with both minions using slime when I have a slime weapon equipped, as well.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Are Kelbi Bows still ridiculous?

Also I watched all of Gajinhunters bow tutorial and now I want to bow :radcat:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've never used the bow outside of arena hunts, it just didn't click with me. Actually, arena hunts are pretty great because they let you have a set of equipment that should work for the monster you are hunting, and you don't need to worry about building the gear yourself to get a taste for how it feels.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nothing is more satisfying than S ranking an arena challenge since the gear they give you is usually steaming poo poo.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

sitchelin posted:

Nothing is more satisfying than S ranking an arena challenge since the gear they give you is usually steaming poo poo.

It's better than demo stuff at least in that it's sort of matched to the monster. Like, if they'd tried to pawn the blazooka off on you for anything other than stygian and hadn't included exhaust shots it'd have been a nightmare solo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So, late to the party, but I've finally been digging into my copy of MH3U after putting it down a while ago as I was distracted by slew of new games.

Getting towards the end of low rank now, trying out a bunch of weapons and doing best with the Switch Axe/Sword and Shield/Greatsword. But holy poo poo do ranged weapons feel terrible. I keep wanting to try a bowgun so I crafted up a pretty good one to take on my first Gigginox hunt. Went through so many shots even at 'optimal' range that will take so long to replace. How the gently caress do people main this weapon? It seems like its prohibitively expensive to keep up.

Also found my first real wall in the game: Rathian is a bag of dicks. I think I'm just to aggressive, but he combos me to death with the poison tail whack into holding me down to gnaw on my face. I even tried with a pretty rad Lightning Lance and he stomped me (mostly because I'm kinda poo poo with lances).

Any advice now that monsters are getting tougher/elemental weapons are coming into play? New player traps or habits to break?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Rathian is a girl

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Rathian is a girl

pink rathain has excellent pink princess themed items!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
For Rathian, since you're using cutting weapons, have you tried focusing on cutting the tail? I could be wrong on this, but I could swear that as soon as you chop the tail off, she loses the poison effect on her flip.

Otherwise, I think her wings are the thing to focus on with swords. Again, it's been a while so I could be wrong (and I always favored hammer). While getting her timing down, try to stand sort of to the side and in front of her while she's turning. You can then base your next move on her next move (fireballs gives a huge opening, flip gives a huge opening, charge gives a big opening if you get yourself over to her before she turns again, spin gives a nice opening if you position yourself well).

You might be better off going in without a cat when solo. That way, you know exactly where she'll be turning to and can take advantage of that. Once you get the patterns and attacks down, then bring the cat back in to speed things up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

HPanda posted:

For Rathian, since you're using cutting weapons, have you tried focusing on cutting the tail? I could be wrong on this, but I could swear that as soon as you chop the tail off, she loses the poison effect on her flip.

i'm almost positive she doesn't, but it does reduce the range on her tail swipes.

anyway, you'll want to start keeping dung bombs around once you get to rathian, because using one while a monster has you pinned down will immediately shake them off.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ah, maybe that was just in Freedom Unite or the first one. I remember it being a thing, but again, could be mistaken. Maybe I just thought it should be a thing since the poison spikes are on the tail.

But yeah, the range is reduced quite a bit on that tail spin, making it worth it, anyway.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zore posted:

Getting towards the end of low rank now, trying out a bunch of weapons and doing best with the Switch Axe/Sword and Shield/Greatsword. But holy poo poo do ranged weapons feel terrible. I keep wanting to try a bowgun so I crafted up a pretty good one to take on my first Gigginox hunt. Went through so many shots even at 'optimal' range that will take so long to replace. How the gently caress do people main this weapon? It seems like its prohibitively expensive to keep up.

You're not crafting all of your ammo are you? The main vendor sells most of the ammo types. You should make more than you spent in ammo on a successful hunt. Crafting is mainly for doing mid-mission so you can have >item limit number of shots. It is more expensive to keep up than melee weapons, but it's not backbreaking or anything.

60 rounds of elemental shots are pretty expensive at low rank though, 1200z I think, so save those for monster that are giving you trouble until high rank.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2015

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zore posted:

So, late to the party, but I've finally been digging into my copy of MH3U after putting it down a while ago as I was distracted by slew of new games.

Also found my first real wall in the game: Rathian is a bag of dicks. I think I'm just to aggressive, but he combos me to death with the poison tail whack into holding me down to gnaw on my face. I even tried with a pretty rad Lightning Lance and he stomped me (mostly because I'm kinda poo poo with lances).

Any advice now that monsters are getting tougher/elemental weapons are coming into play? New player traps or habits to break?

I would pick a weapon class (or two) and focus on it until you top out in High Rank. Not only will that let you focus your materials and money into one weapon type, it also lets you build familiarity with it. You will kill things much faster with a mediocre weapon that you are really comfortable with over a great weapon you are bad at. Not that I disagree with trying everything out early on, to get a sense of what clicks with you, but once you start hitting the big monsters I think focusing on one or two weapon types is the way to go.

After you've decided on a weapon class, something I like to do is find a good non-element (or status) weapon and focus on that, ideally something with nice amounts of sharpness. That way you can be "monster-agnostic" and just use the same weapon on everything, saving you materials and money. Particularly in low-rank, I don't really see the need to try to min-max weaknesses for every monster, you just move through the ranks too quickly to make it worth it. Once you hit High Rank you can start building weapons for specific monsters, although depending on whether your end-game is High Rank or G-Rank you might want to not bother in High Rank. This is particularly true for weapon types that often feature great raw weapons, such as Greatswords and Hammers. For weapon classes that are more focused towards element damage, like Dual Swords or Sword and Shield, I like to get a good status weapon (Poison or Paralyze ideally, Sleep is more situational). When you get access to Brachy, slime weapons make great all-comers weapons as well.

As for Bowguns, I would definitely advise you to start with a Bow for solo ranged play. Bowguns, particularly Heavy Bowguns, really work best in a group. They can totally work solo (and Cha cha and Kayamba help), but it's much harder to utilize their full potential without specific setups. Bows are simpler to use, more mobile (and therefore safer), and much cheaper to get into. Bows have a lot of depth to them despite initial appearances, so don't feel they're a "newbie" weapon (as if anything was in MH) or anything. They are just more suited to solo play and making the initial transition to Gunner.

There was some really excellent Rathian advice earlier, but as far as general hunting advice, I would focus on learning how to use your weapon to best take advantage of the monster. For example, with a Greatsword against Rathian, you want to be using unsheathe attacks to hit and run until she gives you a nice opening like a fireball volley or a tail swipe, then you can go into a charge. It's all about what gives you the most damage in the window that you have. Focus on being safe over being greedy, after a while you will get a sense of what you can and can't get away with. Take the time to learn your combos as well, that's a big part of knowing how to get damage on a monster. There's a lot of resources online on how best to use each type of weapon. Finally, if you are really struggling, there's no shame in using traps and other hunting tools. They're there for a reason! Take an hour and farm up a bunch of materials for pitfalls, shock traps, and bombs. You often get these for free in low rank quests as well! Use them! In low rank a good trap can let you take off a third of a monsters life, if you are able to really maximize your damage. Pitfalls in particular combo super well with Paralyze and KO weapons, if you get a Para/KO off while the monster is in the trap it will stay in the trap for the duration and still be stuck afterwards! That is a LONG time, letting you do some BIG damage!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if anything could be called a true newbie weapon I would say a lance with guard up and guard+2 and the auto guard charm.
You might time out but you sure wont die.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

if anything could be called a true newbie weapon I would say a lance with guard up and guard+2 and the auto guard charm.
You might time out but you sure wont die.

Does autoguard for gunlance still activate immediately after using shelling?

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Does autoguard for gunlance still activate immediately after using shelling?

Nope.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think the only game it did that in was P3rd and even then it was a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

So I just heard about a thing about wyvernfire always being available to high level rarity HBGs when the limiter is removed.

Is that the X+A function with a limiter removed? Can anyone who knows confirm exactly how this works?

It'd be pretty badass to always have that as a close range option when its off the cooldown - I'm hoping it works how I think it does.

• Locked thread