Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Indeed, because the main cause of congestion is the unemployed driving their cars, and has nothing to do with the masses of commuters on their way to and from the workplace, along with all the freight traffic passing through the country. Which as anyone who commutes in Kent and usually uses the M20 (like myself) with Operation Stack running can tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mfcrocker posted:

You complete and total loving Gove.
Now then, let's not say things that we can't take back.

Jeremy Hunt is already rhyming slang for himself, and Johnson would mean penis without Boris's exemplary contribution, so those two need to be used with care.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wonder how many jobless people have cars compared with those who are employed to see how even more ridiculous the idea is

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Given the poor were kind of seen as the responsibility of their parish, people really didn't like the idea of poor people who were someone else's responsibility turning up and becoming their problem.

The hilarious thing is, stopping the poor from travelling obviously makes it much less likely they'll find a job (if they even had cars, which is questionable).

It would also add a huge amount of paperwork for businesses that need drivers. Gotta get your government "I'm a worker" card before you can drive again. Slows up the whole hiring process.

Man, if they're lying about the libertarian part of their party, maybe they're lying about the non-racist bit. :ohdear:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

You bloody Pob

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

I wonder how many jobless people have cars compared with those who are employed to see how even more ridiculous the idea is

Unemployed people just love to go for a drive before the hours of 9AM and after 5PM.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
People should be permitted a devil's bargain permitting them to abandon all forms of offensive language in exchange for being able to use one word or type forever.

I'll trade moron/mongoloid/etc. for racial epithets about the French, Irish or Germans any day.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

Jeremy Hunt is already rhyming slang for himself, and Johnson would mean penis without Boris's exemplary contribution, so those two need to be used with care.

'BoJo the Clown' has a nice ring to it though.

Disinterested posted:

People should be permitted a devil's bargain permitting them to abandon all forms of offensive language in exchange for being able to use one word or type forever.

I'll trade moron/mongoloid/etc. for racial epithets about the French, Irish or Germans any day.
You do realise 'Mongoloid' is itself a racial epithet, right? It's used in slang to imply that people with Down's syndrome look like people from Asia (as both may have pronounced epicanthic folds). So yeah, it's a double whammy of a lovely insult.

Edit: I may have misread what you said in which case apologies :ohdear:

Jose posted:

Probably a similar number to those with huge tellies, Sky subscriptions etc. - that is, those who probably bought them when they were employed. The low income of benefits combined with the high cost of tax, insurance and fuel is probably an effective barrier for most part anyway.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 22, 2015

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Complete aside but as car chat and the horrible expense of running them has come up, is there a reason why my car insurance quotes are more expensive this year than last? Last year was £158 for the year with 5 years no claims, this year cheapest quote is £190 with 6 years no claims (no claims, no traffic crimes, everything the same except we're another year older and have another year of no claims).

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

You do realise 'Mongoloid' is itself a racial epithet, right? It's used in slang to imply that people with Down's syndrome look like people from Asia (as both may have pronounced epicanthic folds). So yeah, it's a double whammy of a lovely insult.

Edit: I may have misread what you said in which case apologies :ohdear:

Ya, I know. I actually have heard, only once, the word being used to describe a person with Down's. The woman who said it was an American in her nineties.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Complete aside but as car chat and the horrible expense of running them has come up, is there a reason why my car insurance quotes are more expensive this year than last? Last year was £158 for the year with 5 years no claims, this year cheapest quote is £190 with 6 years no claims (no claims, no traffic crimes, everything the same except we're another year older and have another year of no claims).

No idea, mine was about half the price but I went from 2 -> 3 years no claims and I'm entering my late 20s.

How do insurance quotes work :iiam:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

mfcrocker posted:

No idea, mine was about half the price but I went from 2 -> 3 years no claims and I'm entering my late 20s.

How do insurance quotes work :iiam:

Black magic.

Moving from the 18-24 into the 25-30 age bracket helps. Make and model of car affect it, some types of car are just more likely to be involved in accidents, an example cited to me by the insurance guy I spoke to when I renewed mine last month: VW Golfs have higher insurance rates because so many 18-25 year old males crash them. Driveway versus road parking, where you live. God knows how they compute it all.

I put my girlfriend as a named driver on my 2003 Seat Ibiza, my insurance goes up ~£150. Hell no, sorry love. But changing my occupation from "full time student" to "IT - Application Developer" knocked £100 off.

She puts me as a named driver on her 2010 Honda Jazz, her insurance goes down £40.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

This is why I'm conflicted about 'Lesbian'. Does the sexual orientation group have the right to reclaim a word that started off as a pseudoscientific categorization with an ethnic bias?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I heard on the radio that they're going up again across the board after three years of declining premium costs.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Zveroboy posted:

Black magic.

Moving from the 18-24 into the 25-30 age bracket helps. Make and model of car affect it, some types of car are just more likely to be involved in accidents, an example cited to me by the insurance guy I spoke to when I renewed mine last month: VW Golfs have higher insurance rates because so many 18-25 year old males crash them. Driveway versus road parking, where you live. God knows how they compute it all.

I put my girlfriend as a named driver on my 2003 Seat Ibiza, my insurance goes up ~£150. Hell no, sorry love. But changing my occupation from "full time student" to "IT - Application Developer" knocked £100 off.

She puts me as a named driver on her 2010 Honda Jazz, her insurance goes down £40.

Adding me to my husbands car insurance back when I only had a provisional license put his insurance down too. It's weird.

Edit:

Pissflaps posted:

I heard on the radio that they're going up again across the board after three years of declining premium costs.

Bugger :(

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Zveroboy posted:

This can be a handy tool for cutting a few percent off your insurance:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

Are you really an IT Manager, or would you describe yourself more as a Data Administrator (for 10% lower premiums)?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

This is why I'm conflicted about 'Lesbian'. Does the sexual orientation group have the right to reclaim a word that started off as a pseudoscientific categorization with an ethnic bias?

They can reclaim whatever the hell they want, because it's an insult directed at them (doubly so if they're Greek lesbians) but I don't recall anyone trying to reclaim 'mongoloid' as anything other than racist or ableist.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

Are you really an IT Manager, or would you describe yourself more as a Data Administrator (for 10% lower premiums)?

One weird trick. Insurance companies hate him!

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Wolfsbane posted:

I like to think when I pick my job (actuary) the actuaries who have set the price have snuck in a sneaky discount for us

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

I like to think when I pick my job (actuary) the actuaries who have set the price have snuck in a sneaky discount for us

It's because you're boring :ssh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

They can reclaim whatever the hell they want, because it's an insult directed at them (doubly so if they're Greek lesbians) but I don't recall anyone trying to reclaim 'mongoloid' as anything other than racist or ableist.
Do ethnic Lesbians get a say in that?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Disinterested posted:

It's because you're boring :ssh:

He could be a baller actuary, like SloMo???

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Disinterested posted:

Given the poor were kind of seen as the responsibility of their parish, people really didn't like the idea of poor people who were someone else's responsibility turning up and becoming their problem.

The hilarious thing is, stopping the poor from travelling obviously makes it much less likely they'll find a job (if they even had cars, which is questionable).

In the 17th century, quite

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Ludicro posted:

Which as anyone who commutes in Kent and usually uses the M20 (like myself) with Operation Stack running can tell you.

As some who used to live in Folkestone, good luck getting home. Although you're pretty spoilt because normally the M20 is fine since its three lanes and the A20 is a useful backup.

Although I get more screwed by urban traffic jams than motorways.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Jesus H, people are complaining that sub £200 insurance premiums are too high? I've just paid out £550 up from £400 with 4 years no claims in my late 20s in an old C3, no points or criminal record, with the only accident I've been in was completely accepted 100% fault by the other party as pulling out when they should have given way. What I'd give for sub £200 (I would give less than £350).

And I shopped around for that price, that was the lowest.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 22, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fat Turkey posted:

Jesus H, people are complaining that sub £200 insurance premiums are too high? I've just paid out £550 up from £400 with 4 years no claims in my late 20s in an old C3, with the only accident I've been in was completely accepted 100% fault by the other party as pulling out when they should have given way. What I'd give for sub £200 (I would give less than £350).

Yeah when I say half the price I am talking about it going down to £650 :smith:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe you should be more careful on the road?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe you should be more careful on the road?

Did you miss the 'no claims' bit? You'd be better asking them to just move to a nicer neighbourhood, or build a garage to put their car in.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Maybe they could be more careful and drive smaller cars?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's the insurance like on those tiny electric cars?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe they could be more careful and drive smaller cars?

Smaller and safer than a C3 with no claims? Do you know anything about driving at all?

Electric/newer cars probably are cheaper to run/tax/insure, but they're also significantly more expensive to begin with.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

Smaller and safer than a C3 with no claims? Do you know anything about driving at all?

You seem quite arrogant about driving which may explain your high premiums. You should aim to drive defensively.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Sometimes the Telegraph is amazing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11359984/The-Tories-need-to-make-a-fantastic-offer-to-win-the-election-heres-a-suggestion.html

quote:

None of the good news of the past few months has changed a simple fact: swathes of urban Britain and of the North have become Tory-free zones, and support among most ethnic minorities remains depressingly low. Having embraced the wrong kind of modernisation in the late 2000s, the Tory brand remains contaminated, with the party widely perceived to be serving the interests of the rich, rather than standing up for aspirational, hard-working families of all backgrounds.

The division of the Left and the humiliating implosion of Ed Miliband’s economic policies are a great bonus for Mr Cameron, but it would be complacent in the extreme for him to assume that they were enough.

There is only one solution: the Tories need to be willing to take a risk and unveil a proper, game-changing “retail offer” that grabs the public’s imagination. They are capable of thinking outside the box: Mr Osborne’s decision to allow savers to use their pension pots as they see fit when they turn 55 was his most inspired supply-side reform.Sometimes, the best ideas are the oldest, or at least turbo-charged versions of Eighties policies. The Tories should pledge to launch a great council house giveaway – not a mere sale – if they are elected. Anyone who lives in social housing, including those owned by local associations, and who has been in work for the past year should be gifted their council home. Pensioners would be automatically eligible. In return, recipients would cease to be eligible for housing benefit.

There would be strings attached: anyone who sold their newly-acquired house within the first three years would be hit by a 35 per cent tax on the overall sale value, a rate that would fall over time to 20 per cent. All the money raised would be legally earmarked to build more homes, massively increasing housebuilding. Given the likely price appreciation over the next few years, even with an increase in the supply of housing, the giveaway would not be that much greater than the huge discounts enjoyed by Right to Buy beneficiaries. The difference is that the money would be payable at sale, rather than at purchase.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Like Jimmy Saville before him, Leon Brittan just died, so expect all the stories about him to come out.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

The only sympathy I will ever have for Leon Brittan is that he was once arguably the second most prominent Jewish politician in the country, and yet he looked precisely like a Julius Streicher caricature from Der Sturmer.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

You seem quite arrogant about driving which may explain your high premiums. You should aim to drive defensively.

Do you know anything about how insurance works?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

quote:

You seem quite arrogant about posting. You should aim to post defensively.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kegluneq posted:

*Kegluneq does not turn left*

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

*Kegluneq does not turn left*

This poster is not for turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

Yes. I'm fully insured.

• Locked thread