Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Is there a way to reload the armament of ships in CMANO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, UNREP. Not all ships can do it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I want a good Cold War combat grog game.

On the other hand, man do I love CMANO! Hot F7F and P-80 action over Norway!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
GOOD NEWS! CMANO DOES cold war stuff! It has the databases for things from that era and you can add more in if you find them / make them!

Also, Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm is pretty good at it too.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've played a ton of Steel Panthers: World at War, but never played much of SP:WWII. What are the main differences?

The combat engines are slightly different , with the biggest changes being that reaction fire rules are much different in SPWW2 and that artillery delays are calculated at the end of the turn instead of at the beginning like they are in SPWAW. There are a whole lot more nations to choose from in SPWW2 and generally a lot more variety in OOBs. Also, SPWW2 can be played in windowed mode and is generally a bit better optimized for modern computers. If those all sound like fairly minor differences, it's because they are, and which of the two games is 'better' is largely a matter of personal preference. I prefer SPWW2, myself, just because the larger number of nations and maps allows for more variety in the gameplay.

Speaking of Steel Panthers, I just saw the AI accidentally do a smart thing. I'm not sure what algorithms I triggered to cause it to do this, but on my Arab-Israeli Wars campaign in SPMBT, the Israelis just turned both my flanks and moved in to hit my center from both sides, causing me to have to withdraw to save my experienced units (I'm playing with low build points, so I can't afford many replacements). Having seen the AI do a lot of dumb things in this game, I was kind of surprised to see it pull that off. It might just be a function of how scarily good the Israelis are - I did a short modern-era PLO vs. IDF campaign a short while ago, and for the entire duration, my policy whenever I saw approaching Merkava-4s was 'run, hide, pray they don't see you'. I only ever got consistent kills on them by luring them into close quarters and mass-charging them with dudes carrying satchel charges, none of my other anti-tank weapons could ever do anything more than immobilize them or sometimes knock out a main gun if I got super-lucky.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

AceRimmer posted:

Yes, by turning down the delay to 0 under the Misc. tab of the launcher and setting animation to 1 (or better 0 bars) in the game options and setting message delay to 1/0 bars (depending on your eyesight/reading speed)

Turning off the sounds is pretty much mandatory for a speed boost (if you aren't incredibly tired of the game's annoying ricochet sound effect, you will be very soon). Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of the billion annoying messages when artillery shrapnel or machinegun fire hits a column of tanks to no effect whatsoever.

The funny thing is rewatching Saving Private Ryan after playing SP:WW2 - probably +90% of the sound effects are ripped directly from the film.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The funny thing is rewatching Saving Private Ryan after playing SP:WW2 - probably +90% of the sound effects are ripped directly from the film.

Back in the 1998-2003 era of games, half of the mods would be soundpacks that were ripped from SPR and later Band of Brothers. Sound mods and blood mods.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 21, 2015

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Panzeh posted:

Back in the 1998-2003 era of games, half of the mods would be soundpacks that were ripped from SPR and later Band of Brothers. Sound mods and blood mods.

Battle Academy uses that poo poo.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Nenonen and I have just kicked off a PBEM game of Steel Panthers: MBT. The game will be an attack by Nenonen's Ethiopian forces against my Eritrean defenders. If people are interested, I'll post updates on the game in this thread, behind spoiler-tags of course.

Here's how things look at the start, Nenonen should most definitely not look at this until the battle is over.

I'm defending a coastal city - although it would be a bit more accurate to say I'm defending a valley to the west of the city, since that's where most of the victory locations are. My forces consist of three rifle companies, a reinforced company of T-55s, and half a company of BRDMs with Sagger anti-tank missiles, plus several batteries of artillery and a couple snipers and Sagger missile teams. The ground looks open on the map, but a lot of it is actually rough terrain, which is excellent cover and concealment for infantry but massively impedes vehicle movement, leaving the valley as one of the only routes of advance (which works out, because that's also where most of the victory points are concentrated). However, the valley is a big, open, clear killzone in full view of anyone on either hill, which I'll be taking advantage of. I'm keeping my tanks and APCs out of the direct line of sight of anyone advancing towards the city, to avoid getting them murked at the beginning of the battle by missiles, and have tried to avoid placing too many units together in one place to minimize the effect of artillery barrages. There's one major deficiency in my setup, which is that I have no anti-air at all, but I'm hoping it doesn't end up being a problem. Screenshots I took during setup can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/2yzfn

e: In non-spoilery news, have continued my Spanish Civil War campaign against the AI, and just watched a bunch of its units retreat into their own minefields and die (unless you specify a rally point, routed units will just move towards your starting line without concern for what is in the way, which in this case was a fuckload of land mines). The Nationalists have lost more troops to Nationalist land mines in this battle than I have.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 21, 2015

gazza
Oct 20, 2013

Terrifying Effigies posted:

SPWAW has all of the Saving Private Ryan audio, which is reused in stuff like Battle Academy because :Matrix: can't be bothered to expend any effort on petty casual things like sound design. The constant pinging of bullets off tanks in SPWW2 is annoying as hell, but at least they had the decency to not blatantly rip all of the sounds from one movie.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

gazza posted:

The constant pinging of bullets off tanks in SPWW2 is annoying as hell, but at least they had the decency to not blatantly rip all of the sounds from one movie.
For anyone that can't play without sound, there is a sound mod that make the annoying high-pitched PING more of a dull PWONG which is a bit better.

Mister Bates posted:

e: In non-spoilery news, have continued my Spanish Civil War campaign against the AI, and just watched a bunch of its units retreat into their own minefields and die (unless you specify a rally point, routed units will just move towards your starting line without concern for what is in the way, which in this case was a fuckload of land mines). The Nationalists have lost more troops to Nationalist land mines in this battle than I have.
It's even funnier when you get behind the AI and routed units just retreat right towards the tanks that are blasting them to bits.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Like I said before, it's a while since I last PBEM'd any SP. And of course once again my immediate reaction upon loading the deployment turn is to click the 'start battle' button rather than the deploy forces button. That the game doesn't automatically go to deployment mode but gives you the option of starting everyone in a single line is a testament to Gary Grigsby's UI philosophy!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So this came up in the Matrix forums:

quote:

I guess another way I might put this thread's theme, the central question I'd enjoy hearing lots of people respond to: Why haven't Matrix games become billionaires yet? Can turn-based strategy or war game genres EVER achieve as much commercial success as games like Minecraft?

Iain McNeil posted:

Sales wise we're in the millions or tens of millions, but I couldn't tell you how many as its not a stat we track. We have a fair number of games which have sold more than 200,000 units on their own, some of them multiples of that number :)

I'm not trying to belittle what Minecraft achieved but there is a large element of luck. Its a good game and one that has the potential to appeal to a wide audience but it just caught on. Sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't. There are many games which are great which don't take off and a lot of it is like fashion - it gets attention from the right person at the right time and sometimes there is a snowball effect. I doubt he'd ever be able to repeat it. Its very rare that someone comes from nothing with a major hit and then is able to follow it up with another. This is true of all entertainment industries not just games.

Mine craft could have died without trace. Predicting his sales before release would have been almost impossible. Thousands of games release each week and 99.9% lose money. Wargames is a very different market with a more focused but smaller pool of people to sell to. We're never going to sell tens of millions of units of a single title.

While I agree with the last paragraph that Minecraft was simply the one sandbox building game that really caught on amidst a slew of similar games (in much the same way that DOTA just happened to be the one that caught on among a number of "Aeon of Strife" clones), the remark about Matrix's sales was surprising to say the least.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

For anyone that can't play without sound, there is a sound mod that make the annoying high-pitched PING more of a dull PWONG which is a bit better.

It's even funnier when you get behind the AI and routed units just retreat right towards the tanks that are blasting them to bits.

To be fair to the AI, human-controlled units will do that as well, it's just the way the retreat code is set up. Routed units will either retreat towards their formation's designated rally point, or the edge of the map their side started from (if you didn't set a rally point). Since almost no one ever bothers to designate rally points, this means that if you manage to get behind enemy infantry units, and push them to retreat, they'll suicide-charge directly into your guns, whether they're human-controlled or AI-controlled. It's kind of dumb, really, the retreat code should have taken into account things like 'what direction is this unit being shot from?' and 'is the hex I'm about to retreat to the most dangerous place I could possibly be going?' I do like that I can exploit the retreat code to funnel enemy units into charnel-house killzones with overlapping fields of machine gun fire, I just don't like that fleeing units blindly charge towards their destination even if it means running directly at the unit they're retreating from in the first place.

Seriously, someone needs to remake these games. I don't even need updated graphics and I'll live with the grog-as-gently caress user interface. Hell, you don't even need to give it modern screen resolutions, I'll tolerate 800x600. Keep the exact same game, but overhaul the AI to modern standards, make turn resolution faster, and include better sounds, and I will give you all my money.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Seriously, someone needs to remake these games. I don't even need updated graphics and I'll live with the grog-as-gently caress user interface. Hell, you don't even need to give it modern screen resolutions, I'll tolerate 800x600. Keep the exact same game, but overhaul the AI to modern standards, make turn resolution faster, and include better sounds, and I will give you all my money.
Hell yes. Same thing holds true for the Close Combat games (:argh: all those lovely rehashes up to Gateway to Caen), hope the new one is an actually an improvement.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

AceRimmer posted:

Hell yes. Same thing holds true for the Close Combat games (:argh: all those lovely rehashes up to Gateway to Caen), hope the new one is an actually an improvement.

You just reminded me to dust off my old A Bridge Too Far and Russian Front CDs. :allears:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

While I agree with the last paragraph that Minecraft was simply the one sandbox building game that really caught on amidst a slew of similar games (in much the same way that DOTA just happened to be the one that caught on among a number of "Aeon of Strife" clones), the remark about Matrix's sales was surprising to say the least.

To be fair to Matrix, their software probably only counts up to 100,000 so anything over that is spitballing.

Battle Hamster
Mar 21, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

To be fair to Matrix, their software probably only counts up to 100,000 so anything over that is spitballing.

I can only imagine that the irony of not tracking something as simple as sales statistics when they publish games like WitE and WitP is lost on them.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Matrix :downs: posted:

We have a fair number of games which have sold more than 200,000 units on their own, some of them multiples of that number
Come on now, they obviously track sales up to 200,000 and then the counter resets. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Matrix posted:

Sales wise we're in the millions or tens of millions, but I couldn't tell you how many as its not a stat we track.

Yeah we sell in the millions. I can't prove this at all, but I'm confident in our ability to corner the Wargaming market :smug:

I bet Minecraft kept track of their sales...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's just impossible for that to be true. A business keeps track of how many units it sells and how much revenue and profit it makes off those sales. That's a thing a business has to do when it submits its annual accounts.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have full confidence Matrix tracks their sales down all sorts of levels of numbers. Unfortunately their accounting totals are buried under so many layers of bad UI, design, colour, movement (or lack there of) and historical realism that tracks stuff no one cares about and dosn't display data anyone actually needs, that they cannot actually tell anyone if they are in fact gaining or losing money.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

It's just impossible for that to be true. A business keeps track of how many units it sells and how much revenue and profit it makes off those sales. That's a thing a business has to do when it submits its annual accounts.

The numbers are there, but you have to right-click through three different menus to get to it, and the table text isn't monospaced.

E: F; B

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
They have to do a search and replace in database.txt every time they sell something.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Morholt posted:

They have to do a search and replace in database.txt every time they sell something.

Woah man, they totally at least have that poo poo in an excel master file. That's not backed up at all.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

gradenko_2000 posted:

:downs: "We may not actually keep track of our sales data, but we remain completely, absolutely, and 100% confident that our pricing, marketing, and distribution strategy is the single most effective one there is because we have YEARS of data to prove it! Just not sales data, but who cares about that?"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Any opinions on Strategic War in Europe? It looks about my level of groginess and there's a lot of positive reviews, but also a lot of reviews saying its buggy and overpriced.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

Any opinions on Strategic War in Europe? It looks about my level of groginess and there's a lot of positive reviews, but also a lot of reviews saying its buggy and overpriced.

It's a cheap Strategic Command. I played through a 1942 campaign as the Soviets and managed to make it to Berlin on schedule and didn't notice any gamebreaking hiccups. The Allies even managed to make headway into mainland France.

About the best thing I can say about it is that you can choose to play as just one nation, which always bugged me in other games of this scale.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Tomn posted:

:downs: "We may not actually keep track of our sales data, but we remain completely, absolutely, and 100% confident that our pricing, marketing, and distribution strategy is the single most effective one there is because we have YEARS of data to prove it! Just not sales data, but who cares about that?"

"At our current pricing levels, we are making money. We don't know how much, exactly, but we have to be making some money at least. So we don't have to have a sale because we are still making money."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
So yes we started a game of SPMBT, Ethiopia (me) advance vs Eritrea 2015, with Mr. Bates and he'd better not read the spoilers below :nyd:

We are using a custom Yemen map for this, generated maps get old quite soon. Objectives however are randomly scattered. The sharp eyed among you may notice that the majority of objectives lie in the north. I have deviced the most cunning plan: company sized infantry forces with some technicals in support will approach the enemy simultaneously in the north and in the south. Once we have established where the enemy is positioned they shall stand back and let artillery take on the enemy while the mechanized forces close in to break through in the southern front. Well frankly the plan isn't too elegant but I'm hoping that Bates concentrates his forces in the north so I can charge around the town before he has had time to reorient his defenses to the wadi! What worries me the most is the difficult terrain.
click for big map

Here's my OOB.

P.S. if anyone quotes the above images keep in mind that timg tag breaks the spoiler tag, so don't do that!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is getting a Steam release!

It's 50% off right now and is one of the best grog games you'll ever play that won't have you drowning in spreadsheets. BUY BUY BUY

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is getting a Steam release!

It's 50% off right now and is one of the best grog games you'll ever play that won't have you drowning in spreadsheets. BUY BUY BUY

Any hope of getting a steam key if I already own the game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VendoViper posted:

Any hope of getting a steam key if I already own the game?

Yes, every Slitherine game that's had a Steam release gets you a Steam key if you're a previous owner, but be prepared to go through their convoluted process to get it.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
That is good to hear. I haven't yet found the time to give Blitz the fair shake it deserves, I got really side tracked by Advanced Tactics getting a steam release.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, every Slitherine game that's had a Steam release gets you a Steam key if you're a previous owner, but be prepared to go through their convoluted process to get it.

Any idea how that process works?

Edit: derp, I'm dumb, there's a link right on the Matrix announcement.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 22, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

1stGear posted:

Just get Strategic Command. Much better and very solid games.

The first game is fast, quick and simple. It's also 15$.

The second one is lots better, but (a bit) more complex. You'll want to choose between WW1 and expansion for a giant map of Europe with both a WW1 & WW2 scenario, or Global + Assault on Democracy for a big world map where you have Europe & the Pacific.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Just get Strategic Command. Much better and very solid games.

The first game is fast, quick and simple. It's also 15$.

You can get for $10 on GOG

http://www.gog.com/game/strategic_command_european_theater

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

DC:WtP was one of my first real grog games, and the Poland scenario is a good intro to them. You have a vastly superior force but a short time limit, so you're forced to learn about breakthroughs and encirclements. The interface isn't bad either, though I managed to not identify the forts for a couple turns.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lets do another game of DC:WtP.

Paris this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
As our game gets underway, I though I'd ask: would people be interested in a pair of LP threads for the PBEM Nenonen and I have running, or would you rather it just stay in this thread? We're worried it might get a little annoying filling up the grog thread with spoiler-tags, but aren't sure if we have enough content to justify separate threads. He also suggested having a bit of goon participation in the game, if people are interested. We'd let people name unit commanders and formations, designate 'lucky' units, that sort of thing.

This has also given me an idea for something to try after this game is over, if people are interested - namely, a Goons vs. AI Steel Panthers campaign, played in the LP forum. The posters select a core force for the campaign, I set up a series of randomized scenarios against the AI, the thread plans out each turn as a group (maybe having individual posters command individual units or formations, like in Grey Hunter's Combat Mission LPs), and I execute the orders. The AI in the Steel Panthers games is poor enough by modern standards that it will be possible for the hivemind to win, but it should still provide a challenge for whatever force they end up putting together.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 22, 2015