Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's still no better than advantage for 'doubling your chances.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

It's still no better than advantage for 'doubling your chances.'

Unless they already have advantage it which case your odds are even higher.

Pretty much I see it this way.

Rogue: I missed with my first attack so I will attack a 2nd time to try and get my sneak attack off.
Rogue: I hit with my first attack so I will use cunning action to get out of combat.

If it hits you move out of range if it misses take another shot at getting that bonus damage.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 22, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So you're rolling 4D20 for the possible payoff of one sneak attack hit. Which is pure boringdamage anyway and not something worth caring about.

e: The rule also sports some of the best Mearls-speak "natural language" skirting around the word "flanking" that I've seen so far. It's like a game of loving Taboo with these people.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Why even skirt around flanking? Wasn't that term in 3.X too?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Because you need additional rules for it to exist in theatre of the mind.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It was, and it makes me wonder if their baseline comprehension of 3.x was as flawed as their Cliffs Notes understanding of 4e.

e: It says you can sneak attack if you have advantage. And also if you don't have advantage - but only if an enemy of your enemy is within 5 feet of your enemy, and then only if that enemy of your enemy is not incapacitated while you don't have disadvantage.
:psyduck:

moths fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 22, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly they probably just ditched Flanking as a term because then it'd have to do something like grant Advantage and hey whoa now that's too strong & easy to set up.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Dick Burglar posted:

Why even skirt around flanking? Wasn't that term in 3.X too?

Allstone posted:

More or less.

3.5e Rules Compendium, p. 56 posted:

How We Learned to Flank
In the flagging days of D&D's 2nd Edition, while 3rd Edition was being feverishly designed and tested, I and others were relegated to a back conference room at Wizards, tapped to create a D&D-themed board game. The board game drew on the nascent 3e rules, and thus included wizards, rogues, fighters, clerics, guardian monsters, and treasures to be won. Because we were using unformed rules as the basis for our game, and because we wanted a simplified version of those rules, we felt free to do anything we wanted.

The game's main innovation was that it needed no Dungeon Master. To play our board game, no one would be required to take on the herculean task of mastering all the rules before considering actually playing. Randomly generated quests, tiles, and monsters could stand in for the normally vital roles of storyteller, judge, and facilitator wrapped into a single body. Because our game was to be a board game, we felt we might just be able to get away with our conceit that such a thing as DM-less gaming was possible. In any event, each player had a piece representing a character and tracked that piece on a grid, just as in D&D.

We had a lot of fun running through dozens of iterations and simplifications of fledgling 3e rules for our board game. When we got to the rogue, we wondered how to make it obvious, in a DM-less environment, when the rogue should be able to sneak attack. Someone on our team slowly moved the rogue's figure so a foe stood directly between the rogue and one of the rogue's allies, and said, "How about whenever that happens?"

Thus the concept of flanking was born.

-Bruce R. Cordell, designer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Allstone posted:

Right. If you're playing TOTM, it's (relatively) easy to say "the Fighter is adjacent to this target (and the Fighter is conscious), therefore I can Sneak Attack". It's not as easy to say that you're "flanking" the target.

Generic Octopus posted:

Honestly they probably just ditched Flanking as a term because then it'd have to do something like grant Advantage and hey whoa now that's too strong & easy to set up.

But Flanking does exist in 5E as a DMG optional rule, and it does grant Advantage if you're on opposite sides of a target. It's just that you can't use Flanking as a standard rule if you're going to claim that you don't need a grid for your game.

Hell, Sneak Attack has two triggering clauses "you have Advantage on the attack roll" and "a conscious ally is adjacent to the target" specifically so that it'll work without Flanking, even if with Flanking, you really only need the first clause.

There's also something to be said here about how 4E's Marking gets called out as a disassociated mechanic, but Sneak Attacks are not, despite them both working off the same principle that the character can get their sneak/opportunity attack off because the target is being distracted.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 22, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

But Flanking does exist in 5E as a DMG optional rule

This boggles me. Like I legit don't get it. You don't even need a grid, it can just be worded much the same way that Sneak Attack clause is for totm.

I only have a PHB since I've never had occasion to dm 5e. Why is a combat rule like that optional and also squirreled away in a completely different book.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

Why is a combat rule like that optional and also squirreled away in a completely different book.

Rulings, not rules!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Generic Octopus posted:

This boggles me. Like I legit don't get it. You don't even need a grid, it can just be worded much the same way that Sneak Attack clause is for totm.

I only have a PHB since I've never had occasion to dm 5e. Why is a combat rule like that optional and also squirreled away in a completely different book.

Because flanking was in 3.x (the only real version of D&D) and therefore has to be included in Next.

The problem with flanking is that it lets fighters do a thing without asking first, which is a problem that clearly needed to be solved. Hiding the rule away in the DMG is a fairly good solution (I mean, a new player won't be able to find it there easily) but I'm impressed with the absolute design elegance of making it an optional part of an optional rule.

Truly, the power is back in the hands of the wizards DM.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I half expected them to describe flanking in spell-like terms. "Flanking functions the same as if the target were suffering from the effects of the Bane spell" or some poo poo.

Fake edit: no that phrasing isn't nearly confusing enough. Needs more obtuse directions.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

I half expected them to describe flanking in spell-like terms. "Flanking functions the same as if the target were suffering from the Bane spell" or some poo poo.

Fake edit: no that's far too clearly-phrased. Needs more obtuse directions.

No no no!

Then the fighter, who is a martial and mundane character, would be creating a spell like effect without magic, which counts as either a dissociated mechanic or stupid anime bullshit. I can never remember which, but those things are both very very bad just like fighters getting to do things.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
OH GOD you're right. We really dodged a bullet there!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

OH GOD you're right. We really dodged a bullet there!

This worked way better before you ninja edited "nearly" to "really".

Just saying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Generic Octopus posted:

Because you can't claim that the game doesn't need a grid if you also put in a standard rule that's begging for a grid to be resolved cleanly*

* setting aside all the other rules/spells/abilities that are begging for a grid to be resolved cleanly

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hell, Sneak Attack has two triggering clauses "you have Advantage on the attack roll" and "a conscious ally is adjacent to the target" specifically so that it'll work without Flanking, even if with Flanking, you really only need the first clause.

The problem here is that getting Sneak Attack from Advantage is way better than getting it from "the fighter is standing where I need him to" because Advantage also increases your odds of hitting and therefore doing damage.

And with stealth/surprise being sort of... hosed... It's Up To The DM™ if you can get Advantage that way. Otherwise -- you guessed it -- it's pretty much down to spells, like Faerie Fire.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AlphaDog posted:

I can see some benefits in pushing for this, but I'm not sure it's worth it since as soon as centipedes are currency you can't just pull them out of your component pouch any more.
Centipedes? In my component pouch? It's more common than you think.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

P.d0t posted:

The problem here is that getting Sneak Attack from Advantage is way better than getting it from "the fighter is standing where I need him to" because Advantage also increases your odds of hitting and therefore doing damage.

And with stealth/surprise being sort of... hosed... It's Up To The DM™ if you can get Advantage that way. Otherwise -- you guessed it -- it's pretty much down to spells, like Faerie Fire.

Flanking has always made it easier to hit in earlier additions that used it and it was never a problem then. I know a +2 vs a +5 is a bit different but still.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The absence of flanking isn't actually due to TotM, but rather the obtuse and may as well not exist OA system. Flanking isn't just easy in 5e, it may as well be automatic, since there's absolutely nothing stopping you from entering an enemy's space and then just running around them as much as you so please. Because flanking is essentially the immediate state of affairs at all times, it was decided not to reward it. But then of course they needed to add something in for rogues, and they don't have a "flanking" mechanic...

"But Cirno, why is it written in the most loving awful way possible?"

NATURAL LANGUAGE! 5e is what happens when you're allergic to actually explaining game rules. See also: stealth mechanics that are so confusing and non-existent that Mearls ended up claiming he made them lovely on purpose so DMs would have to decide things.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Elfgames posted:

Flanking has always made it easier to hit in earlier additions that used it and it was never a problem then. I know a +2 vs a +5 is a bit different but still.

Yeah that's nice and all, except it doesn't in 5e, unless you're using the optional grid rules from the DMG.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So is there any reason for a rogue to enter melee? From what I can see they're just as good, if not better at ranged.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

djw175 posted:

So is there any reason for a rogue to enter melee? From what I can see they're just as good, if not better at ranged.

Okay, so a Rogue needs a weapon to be Light so he can dual-wield it, Finesse so he can use his DEX modifier with it, and Simple so he has proficiency with it. That pretty much leaves us with just a dagger.

1d4+5 damage on the main-hand and 1d4 damage on the off-hand will average to 10 damage, but requires that the Rogue always use his Bonus Action for the off-hand attack or else it's just 7.5 damage from the main-hand and the Rogue doesn't have access to the Two Weapon Fighting Fighting Style to allow the off-hand attack to gain the DEX modifier damage bonus

1d8+5 damage from a Light Crossbow will average to 9.5 damage, and consumes just the Normal Action, and doesn't require access to the Crossbow Expert feat since a Rogue doesn't gain extra attacks, and lets him stay at range

So mostly no, being ranged is way better. Melee would only pull ahead if the Rogue could get the Dual Wielder feat so he could ignore the Light requirement and use dual 1d8 Finesse Rapiers

I thought this was funny:

quote:

John Proudfoot @GX_Sigma - Sep 17 2014
@mikemearls @Eoffram_Troyas @Wizards_DnD Is it intentional that you can use it to get two attacks with 1 hand crossbow + shield?

quote:

Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@GX_Sigma @Eoffram_Troyas @Wizards_DnD I'd rule it should specify a different weapon, not same weapon twice

quote:

Matt Petruzzelli @mpetruzz - Oct 15 2014
@JeremyECrawford @mikemearls A player claims Crossbow expertise should just let him double attack with a hand crossbow. Is that intended?

quote:

Jeremy Crawford @JeremyECrawford
@mpetruzz @mikemearls Crossbow Expert does allow a character to shoot a hand crossbow as an action and again as a bonus action.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I see the Next development team is a well-oiled machine.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'd be impressed if you could fire a crossbow, reload a crossbow, and fire a crossbow again within 6 seconds.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I'd be impressed if you could fire a crossbow, reload a crossbow, and fire a crossbow again within 6 seconds.

Yep, it seems like it would take a extraordinary amount of skill to do that. That's why it's a feat.

On the other hand, here's a "speed comparison" of a longbow and a crossbow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagCuGXJgUs The longbowman's firing about once ever 3-4 seconds, the crossbowman about every 6-7 seconds. They both look like they're taking a kinda leisurely approach though. I can't find any crossbow vids where the dude's going for speed, but do you really have trouble imagining a fantasy hero going twice as fast as that guy?

As far as bows and speed go though... here's a bowman shooting 12 arrows at moving targets in 17 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=sLFqZSWjbZg&x-yt-cl=84359240#t=111. He hits with every one.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 22, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kitchner posted:

That's why they're heroes.

Or firing two bolts at once like every fantasy bowman ever.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Kitchner posted:

I'd be impressed if you could shoot fire out your arsehole, but they're both feats I wonder why one of these is allowed and one of them is considered silly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Yep, it seems like it would take a extraordinary amount of skill to do that. That's why it's a feat.

On the other hand, here's a "speed comparison" of a longbow and a crossbow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagCuGXJgUs The longbowman's firing about once ever 3-4 seconds, the crossbowman about every 6-7 seconds. They both look like they're taking a kinda leisurely approach though. I can't find any crossbow vids where the dude's going for speed, but do you really have trouble imagining a fantasy hero going twice as fast as that guy?

As far as bows and speed go though... here's a bowman shooting 12 arrows at moving targets in 17 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=sLFqZSWjbZg&x-yt-cl=84359240#t=111. He hits with every one.

Yeah, and Lars Anderson can shoot off ten arrows in 5 seconds, and hit three moving targets in about a second. Turns out modern people aren't very good at archery.

:goonsay: Obviously this means archers should get a dozen attacks per round. For realism.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, and Lars Anderson can shoot off ten arrows in 5 seconds, and hit three moving targets in about a second. Turns out modern people aren't very good at archery.

That's the dude I was looking for. I forgot his name.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ProfessorCirno posted:

The absence of flanking isn't actually due to TotM, but rather the obtuse and may as well not exist OA system. Flanking isn't just easy in 5e, it may as well be automatic, since there's absolutely nothing stopping you from entering an enemy's space and then just running around them as much as you so please. Because flanking is essentially the immediate state of affairs at all times, it was decided not to reward it. But then of course they needed to add something in for rogues, and they don't have a "flanking" mechanic...

"But Cirno, why is it written in the most loving awful way possible?"

NATURAL LANGUAGE! 5e is what happens when you're allergic to actually explaining game rules. See also: stealth mechanics that are so confusing and non-existent that Mearls ended up claiming he made them lovely on purpose so DMs would have to decide things.

To add to this, wouldn't low level swarming enemies (goblins, etc) be flanking against adventurers almost all the time since it's pretty much automatic?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

mastershakeman posted:

To add to this, wouldn't low level swarming enemies (goblins, etc) be flanking against adventurers almost all the time since it's pretty much automatic?
Kobolds automatically get +5 to hit because reasons, and on top of that they're pretty much guaranteed to get Advantage thanks to Pack Tactics (ie, flanking). So you end up with a low-level trash monster that effectively gets +9 to hit if there's more than one attacking.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Allstone posted:

I'd be impressed if you could shoot fire out your arsehole, but they're both feats I wonder why one of these is allowed and one of them is considered silly.

I must have missed that. Is the arse hole based fire magic next to the fetus magic in the PHB?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

I must have missed that. Is the arse hole based fire magic next to the fetus magic in the PHB?

PHB page 168, Magic Initiate.

Actually, a Dragonborn Sorceror that fights with magical farts sounds like a workable character concept.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pack Tactics is silly.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

goatface posted:

Pack Tactics is silly.

I'm flat out ignoring it for Kobolds in Ep1 of HotDQ. It's a crazy hard episode for level 1 characters anyhow.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think if you're using them as the mooks supporting a mid-level enemy leader, it's ok. Chaff that can be evaporated by the PCs, but that can still provide a meaningful distraction in chip damage if they're not dealt with.

As things to face a level 1 party with, it's dumb.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
i like how they never solved the problem of the value of flanking and positioning granting advantage and just threw it into the DMG as an optional rule, or told the DM to adjudicate it.

good game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Payndz posted:

Kobolds automatically get +5 to hit because reasons, and on top of that they're pretty much guaranteed to get Advantage thanks to Pack Tactics (ie, flanking). So you end up with a low-level trash monster that effectively gets +9 to hit if there's more than one attacking.

Or you could have just stripped out their normal attack bonus, and forced them to rely on numbers and Advantage to hit things. It'd almost be... thematically appropriate. Nevermind, guess we can't have that.

Tunicate posted:

:goonsay: Obviously this means archers should get a dozen attacks per round. For realism.

I like how they gloss over his rather poor accuracy when firing that fast against a target that close. Not to mention the draw on that bow is pretty much guaranteed to be below standard for a war bow.