Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've had to cover a whole hodgepodge of stuff the past couple weeks. I'm excited for basketball season to get started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I love the last one. It shows emotions (which I'm not good enough to capture) and I like it.

Gotten my hands on the new Sigma 150 - 600mm, and it actually works when shooting hockey. It's just a wee bit hard to follow the puck at times.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

azathosk posted:

Gotten my hands on the new Sigma 150 - 600mm

How do you like it? There was a great review up on Nikon Rumors about it but you shoot Canon right? I'm curious about how well the AF handles.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Friday night lights: Playoffs have started! Now the non-local team puts up a fight! After I leave, of course.

Well, in that the local team shuts out the first half but has more than one 3rd down and the losers score more than one touchdown in the back half.

35-0 at halftime; white team rallied but not enough, final was 48-26.

Also I hate it when one team is wearing all black and one team is clothed in white.

Print:

My favorite:

Wide:

QBs are derpy as hell:

Nice, too bad it's the losing team with the ball:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Saturday football bonus because playoffs! I wish I'd been able to frame it better, but I love the way these two are looking at each other -- the pass was intended for the guy in red, they both jumped for it, and as they came down, their eyes met.

Edit: this one ran in the dead-tree edition:

I would have preferred one of the ones with faces, like so:

but the photo desk hosed off early (which is why they asked me to shoot it) and let the sports guys pick. Here's all of 'em.

Nice lights in that stadium, you can tell I was running a stop and a half lower ISO than usual.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 17, 2014

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

How do you like it? There was a great review up on Nikon Rumors about it but you shoot Canon right? I'm curious about how well the AF handles.

I was surprised. The AF handles great and even though it is poo poo lighting inside the hockey arena I still got some decent exposures. I'll post some pictures when I get home.

The main problem wasn't the AF or exposure, but to actually get used to the 300 - 600 mm-range.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It's basketball season! No standing out in the cold in the name of sports photography (for a couple weeks oh god black friday night football game coming)

I really should invest in a 2.8.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Frinkahedron posted:

I really should invest in a 2.8.

I love this. You don't need a 2.8 for this I don't think.

But then again, treat yo self.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

hi liter posted:

I love this. You don't need a 2.8 for this I don't think.

But then again, treat yo self.

Thanks, that one was by far my favorite.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Al Bello got some phenomenal pictures of Odell Beckham Jr's circus catch

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
There is a pretty nice piece on NYTimes about capturing the catch by Giants' Odell Beckham Jr.

I especially enjoyed the discussion regarding how each of the photographers position themselves on the field.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

accipter posted:

There is a pretty nice piece on NYTimes about capturing the catch by Giants' Odell Beckham Jr.

I especially enjoyed the discussion regarding how each of the photographers position themselves on the field.

This is a pro-click. That's awesome.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

accipter posted:

That was a very good read.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So I had my local feds big end of year event on the weekend (and my last one for a while, break time!) so I've got a lot of poo poo to process but I felt like posting this here, I pulled the poor bastard aside after his tables match cause he looked like death and I think it turned out ok (broken nose and all)

Jonah Damage by bang3rachi, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That looks awesome

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Black Friday Night Lights, Virginia Tech vs UVA in a battle for The Commonwealth Cup. The winner improved to 6-6 and got to go to a bowl game. The loser finished 5-7 and their season was over, which made for a pretty drat chippy game (and very drunk and fantastically angry sounding crowd).

(Virginia Tech won 24-20)

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Frinkahedron posted:

Black Friday Night Lights, Virginia Tech vs UVA in a battle for The Commonwealth Cup. The winner improved to 6-6 and got to go to a bowl game. The loser finished 5-7 and their season was over, which made for a pretty drat chippy game (and very drunk and fantastically angry sounding crowd).

drat, I totally forgot you said you'd be there! Sorry I didn't find you to say hi. :(

For whatever reason, I had a pretty lovely game, plus since kickoff was so drat late my deadlines were all hosed. Oh well, them's the breaks.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
gently caress it, might as well knock out a double post.

Here's a smattering of stuff from a five-day stretch before Thanksgiving. Busy time of year for lots of sports.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There are so many amazing faces in that 2nd Rutgers/UVA women's soccer picture.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Beens some good stuff on this thread lately!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

BobTheCow posted:

drat, I totally forgot you said you'd be there! Sorry I didn't find you to say hi. :(

For whatever reason, I had a pretty lovely game, plus since kickoff was so drat late my deadlines were all hosed. Oh well, them's the breaks.

That's alright, it was a pretty drat hectic game the whole time. There's always basketball season!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Bowl season and the start of basketball conference play:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what :stare:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thats pretty much the definitive buzzwilliams.jpeg.

So I got my first press pass for an organized event, I'll be shooting the Georgetown/Nova basketball game tonight. Any advice from folks? I'm a little nervous.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy crap I completely forgot he went to Va Tech.

For your game, take your fastest stuff because lighting can be really goofy in basketball arenas. You shouldn't need anything longer than 100mm too because you'll be right on top of things. Do you know where you'll be stationed?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm not totally sure, but I have been told I will have access to at least one baseline and the student section. I'm buddies with the Graduate Student Organization President @ Georgetown, and there's a big grad student night. So I'll be shooting the game, as well as going into the student section and hopefully making some nice photos of the crowd as the game goes on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hi liter posted:

I'm not totally sure, but I have been told I will have access to at least one baseline and the student section. I'm buddies with the Graduate Student Organization President @ Georgetown, and there's a big grad student night. So I'll be shooting the game, as well as going into the student section and hopefully making some nice photos of the crowd as the game goes on.

Get plenty wide for the student section. Those are always fun.

Baseline, I'd roll between 50 and 85mm and that should keep you covered for most of the action.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for the advice. Hope to have something nice to share later.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My man Forums Poster Dakana has shot a lot of basketball and he can offer some better insight

PAGING DAKANA, DAKANA AND YOUR GIANT HAIR PLEASE REPORT TO THE SPORTS THREAD

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
When I shot basketball I was comfortable on a 1.3x crop with a 70-200 on the baseline. If you're right up under the basket or something, 24-70 would be good, but if you're more than a few spots away from the bottom of the basket anything less than 70mm gets too wide. If you've got just primes I'd say 50 and 85 would be fine, but don't expect to get any defense or coach stuff. 200mm on 1.5x crop was juuust enough for defense, though a little longer would've been nice. Also scrums for the ball happen around the perimeter and half court often, especially when the defense presses.

For the crowd, definitely get up close and in faces with a wide lens. That's fun. Some of my favorite crowd stuff is like 16mm on my 1.3x body.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Well I don't have a lot of that stuff. I have a Canon T3i and an Fuji X100S. For the T3i I have the kit lens and the 55-250. My friend is letting my borrow her 50 1.8 as well. I want to avoid changing lenses as much as possible so I think I'll roll with the 50 on the Canon and with my Fuji for stuff up close and in the crowd. I think I'm gonna try and make due with the 35mm and 80mm equivalents.

This game might also be a blowout, so I'm gonna try and hit the student section early.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

hi liter posted:

Well I don't have a lot of that stuff. I have a Canon T3i and an Fuji X100S. For the T3i I have the kit lens and the 55-250. My friend is letting my borrow her 50 1.8 as well. I want to avoid changing lenses as much as possible so I think I'll roll with the 50 on the Canon and with my Fuji for stuff up close and in the crowd. I think I'm gonna try and make due with the 35mm and 80mm equivalents.

This game might also be a blowout, so I'm gonna try and hit the student section early.

Well poo poo, that simplifies things.

Try the 50 1.8. I worry, though, that its focus won't keep up with the basketball players. If you're not getting shots in focus with the 50 1.8, up the ISO and try the 55-250.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So that was fun

IMG_1281 by dshenphotos, on Flickr

IMG_1178 by dshenphotos, on Flickr

IMG_1125 by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Ref was having some fun with a heckling fan

and here is my best action shot of the night, but i misse the focus a bit

IMG_1018 by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Critique is welcome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha I love the ref one and just wish that other arm wasn't in the foreground. The first one is a fantastic reaction shot by the player and coach.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks. Do y'all general shoot in landscape or portrait when doing sports?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hi liter posted:

It really depends. Your glass, the angles, what you want to shoot, etc. There aren't a lot of hard and fast rules outside of basic things like "two faces and a ball".

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

hi liter posted:

I shoot for online only now, so I tend to keep it landscape lately. However way way more important is getting a face and the ball, you can always crop later.

Your photos are great, especially for the gear you had. Watch out for those severed limbs and heads on the sides of your frames though :ghost:

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 21, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
First time shooting HAH SCHOO BASKETBALL. I've shot tons of college games and 1 NBA game, but high school was its own beast.

2015-01-20_B-V-Basketball_Kings-at-Mason_051 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2015-01-20_B-V-Basketball_Kings-at-Mason_133 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2015-01-20_B-V-Basketball_Kings-at-Mason_096 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2015-01-20_B-V-Basketball_Kings-at-Mason_102 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

The 85 1.8 did really well, but I kept feeling super anxious because unless it was a layup or a drive to the basket, I wasn't shooting because it was too short. So nothing on the perimeter, no steals on defense, no shooting in tight between people, etc. I ended up shooting probably 70% with the 70-200 f/4 and 30% with the 85. The 85 definitely looks a hell of a lot nicer thanks to BOKEYS and a whole lot lower ISO, but I really didn't get anything great with it because I didn't shoot it enough. If my job situation lets me shoot more of these as a freelancer I may just sell the old 70-200 f/4 and get a 2.8 like a real boy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maybe it's the lighting, or maybe it's that wall back behind being a different color, but I am having the damndest time figuring the white balance out. The ceiling has like 3 different colors what is up with these liiiiights :psyduck:

FACE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

DJExile posted:

Maybe it's the lighting, or maybe it's that wall back behind being a different color, but I am having the damndest time figuring the white balance out. The ceiling has like 3 different colors what is up with these liiiiights :psyduck:

FACE

Yeah, with these crappy flourescent lights they're all cycling at different rates, so they're putting out different color temperatures on any given slice of 1/640th or 1/800th or whatever. That, and you get the normal cast from light bouncing off the wood floor. All that together means you're completely boned when it comes to color.