Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm strapped for cash ($25 would be my limit). What are the really good Ennis Punisher storylines I could get from the sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

None of the Max stuff is on Marvel Unlimited is it?
drat it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm strapped for cash ($25 would be my limit). What are the really good Ennis Punisher storylines I could get from the sale?

I would say The Slavers is probably the best part of the entire run #25-30 though it's hard to suggest just one arc. ( #7-12) Kitchen Irish is as Ennis as can be which can be divisive, same with Barracuda (#31-36) but I like them both.

Really it's all good stuff. Start at the beginning and if you can stretch it get The Slavers arc because it's great. It's The Punisher at his most... Punisher-ing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I would say The Slavers is probably the best part of the entire run #25-30 though it's hard to suggest just one arc. ( #7-12) Kitchen Irish is as Ennis as can be which can be divisive, same with Barracuda (#31-36) but I like them both.

Really it's all good stuff. Start at the beginning and if you can stretch it get The Slavers arc because it's great. It's The Punisher at his most... Punisher-ing.

MAX is of course very good all the way through, but I'd say the top-tier stretch of the run is Mother Russia through Barracuda, which is 13-36, exactly 24 issues. throw in the Tyger one shot and that's 25, so if your limit is $25, that's what I'd do.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

On the other hand, if you're like me and want to get everything by Ennis in the sale you'll be looking at 105 titles totaling $103.95 plus any taxes you may or may not need to pay. And if there is anyone else looking to do just add everything to your cart, then remove #61-75 of the 2004-2008 series (which is NOT the Jason Aaron run) and #8 or the 2001-2003 series (Ennis didn't write #8-12, but #8 is the only one included in the sale).

If you're totally new to Ennis' Punisher I would suggest the 2000-2001 series which is 12 issues and is commonly referred to as "Welcome Back, Frank" and is Ennis rebooting the franchise. For the Max series, I think Waterhaul hit it square on the head. About the only thing that I would add is that the final arc "Valley Forge, Valley Forge" is my personal favorite, but one reason that I enjoy it so much is that it builds on just about everything that came before it, so you're going to be missing some of the impact if you read that without a pretty good working knowledge of the "mythos".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

MAX is of course very good all the way through, but I'd say the top-tier stretch of the run is Mother Russia through Barracuda, which is 13-36, exactly 24 issues. throw in the Tyger one shot and that's 25, so if your limit is $25, that's what I'd do.

I was thinking what way to get in all the best stuff but yeah that would work too. It also means you'd get THAT moment from Up is Down and Black is White.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I was thinking what way to get in all the best stuff but yeah that would work too. It also means you'd get THAT moment from Up is Down and Black is White.

pretty sure I know what you're talking about, but that story alone has so many hosed up moments that it could be one of several

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, wait, is [Wonder Woman '77] now alternating with Sensation Comics? Because I just checked my subs and SC isn't out until the 28th?

For whatever reason, I got the newest digital Sensation Comics today (despite its usual Thursday release schedule), and had to buy it separately despite being subscribed. I haven't seen any DC Digital promos announcing how the two WW series would be released. Is this a fluke? Delay? Nazi scheme to harm Lynda Carter Comix?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

For whatever reason, I got the newest digital Sensation Comics today (despite its usual Thursday release schedule), and had to buy it separately despite being subscribed. I haven't seen any DC Digital promos announcing how the two WW series would be released. Is this a fluke? Delay? Nazi scheme to harm Lynda Carter Comix?

...I just checked and yeah, the next part of the current story is out, it shows I'm subbed, but it's not purchased. Huh. I'mma wait till Friday, see if it corrects itself, otherwise I'll buy it. (The WW hijab she was rocking in part 1 was pretty sweet.)

It's weird, also, but WW '77 has a weird issue compared to Batman '66, in that having actual WW villains appear, like in that first issue, feels less accurate to the show than Batman does by using mostly the show's rogues. (I just got the first two collections of Batman, and love that Parker worked in Kathy Kane.)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the responses, guys. Just read The Tyger, it was excellent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there a reason, other than "lolDC" that I can buy Jim Balent's entire run on Catwoman, but not Denny O'Neill's Question or PAD's Supergirl digitally?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Gaz-L posted:

Is there a reason, other than "lolDC" that I can buy Jim Balent's entire run on Catwoman, but not Denny O'Neill's Question or PAD's Supergirl digitally?

DC adds like 20-30 older books every week to Comixology. I'm sure it will be up there eventually.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

DC adds like 20-30 older books every week to Comixology. I'm sure it will be up there eventually.

Yeah just like how only the first trade of that Question run has been out of print for like 5 years.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

TheManWithNoName posted:

If they could hurry the gently caress up and release the rest of Unknown Soldier while they're at it.
I read the 5 issues they have and thought "that was a nice mini-series but the Ennis one was better" before realizing it wasn't a mini.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah just like how only the first trade of that Question run has been out of print for like 5 years.

Rereading that very book is what made me mad I can't complete the run digitally. The part where Vic shows up, singing Danny Boy to the crazy Satanist priest is awesome.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Space Fish posted:

Bigass Punisher sale on Comixology: runs from 2000-2009 for 0.99 an issue.
I've always been somewhat jealous of my friend's Punisher omnibi, but a digital decade of Frank Castle is pretty sweet too.
Uggghhhh I just noticed this when I popped on the app to download my digital copies of this week's books. I've wanted to read Welcome Back Frank for ages, I'd kinda prefer to not drop €10-12 on it right now, but it's hard to resist at that price.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
ah, wish PunisherMax was on sale too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It was on sale a while back, I bought a load of it and still haven't read any of it.

:retrogames:

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I got The Punisher 2004 #1-60 B) Holla Holla Spend Dolla

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

anyone else having problems downloading comics from the iOS comixology app? It's being super slow. I power cycled the ipad and checked my wifi speeds, everything looks good on my end.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Going slow on my Android app. I had a similar problem a month ago and it cleared up in a couple of hours.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Uthor posted:

Going slow on my Android app. I had a similar problem a month ago and it cleared up in a couple of hours.

im bugging them on their twitter. its not going well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone like the Magnetic Press books? There's a sale on, and from the preview pages, they look really great.
https://www.comixology.com/Magnetic-Press-Sale/page/4984?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
People like Peter David's X-Factor, right? There's a sale on today only.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It is great. I love it, one of my favourite runs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first ~32ish issues are superb, some of my favourite comics, and one of the runs that got me into comics in the first place. Issue 33 is when Larry Stroman takes over for a few issues and it's one of the most bewildering, horrendous changes in art I've ever seen on a book, and if you aren't familiar with how the industry works it will leave you jaded and bitter for years to come.

The book never fully recovers from that, but it continues to be solid up until the renumbering, which looks like is where the sale ends, so definitely go for it. After the renumbering there are occasional good issues, but the plot meanders and goes off into insane directions and nothing quite works right. Still a mostly awesome run, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Sinestro-Sale/page/5036?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Brian-Michael-Bendis-Sale/page/5037?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/John-Byrne-Sale/page/4994?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

I'm kind of torn on whether to pick up "Fire" from that BMB sale.

On the one hand I quite like Bendis' work (especially the early pre-Marvel stuff) and the subject matter seems to be right in my wheelhouse. But on the other hand I'm trying to cut back on my Comixology spending as it was getting out of control, and ten buck for barely more then 100 black and white pages seems a bit much-especially as the small number of reviews I can find are lukewarm at best.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

unl33t posted:

I'm kind of torn on whether to pick up "Fire" from that BMB sale.

On the one hand I quite like Bendis' work (especially the early pre-Marvel stuff) and the subject matter seems to be right in my wheelhouse. But on the other hand I'm trying to cut back on my Comixology spending as it was getting out of control, and ten buck for barely more then 100 black and white pages seems a bit much-especially as the small number of reviews I can find are lukewarm at best.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Buy a physical copy for $5 shipped from Amazon? I vaguely remember reading it but not liking it as much as Goldfish, Jinx, or Torso.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Not sure how this didn't get posted, but the Humble Bundle this week covers Archie Comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Everybody should pay the pay $15 and get the Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina books. Best horror books being published at the moment.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wasn't too interested since I already have those but ugh I kinda want the Sonic and Mega Man comics and that makes me feel bad.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Waterhaul posted:

Everybody should pay the pay $15 and get the Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina books. Best horror books being published at the moment.

Why the heck has it taken so long to get Sabrina #2 out? I feel like the first one came out 3 or 4 months ago

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Why the heck has it taken so long to get Sabrina #2 out? I feel like the first one came out 3 or 4 months ago

There's no explanation being given though people are blaming Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on having too much on his plate. Part of me thinks they rushed issue #1 out to make Halloween and haven't got enough done to go monthly or even bi-monthly yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

There's no explanation being given though people are blaming Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on having too much on his plate. Part of me thinks they rushed issue #1 out to make Halloween and haven't got enough done to go monthly or even bi-monthly yet.

It really would make more sense for them to have Afterlife and Sabrina on alternating bi-monthly schedules.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Yeah, I feel like they said #2 was due out in November and then January. And we are quickly running out of January,

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
X-23 sale on Comixology. Marjorie Liu's run (vol 2) is really good.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I liked both X-23 limiteds from Yost/Kyle as well. Not sure how they got me to enjoy a loving preteen goth wolverine wannabe but welp

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
All those books are actually pretty solid (though the Liu run features a crossover with Daken, which always bugs me in these sales. Just throw the loving tie-ins into the sale). And, I get why, but it's kinda funny that the only key book with her in it that's not featured is NYX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Or, if you have to get just one, v2 #17 is the BSS-famous "Franklin & Valeria Richards want to go look at dinosaurs with their time machine" issue.