Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feldheim_C
Oct 8, 2010

Some sort of strange mechanical man.
applied to Xbone goonassin as riven451

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just haven't gone back to the game after beating the DLC. I thought I was going to 100% it like I did the main game, but I have just about zero urge to. The DLC was alright, but super short, and I found myself saying "what, that's it?" when I finished it and got some lovely lantern for a reward, what the hell. My gear constantly bugging out and not unlocking (or relocking) is getting rather tiring too. Good game, I liked it, but I think I'm finally not having enough fun to put up with it anymore. Funnily enough, the free game I got was probably more fun than this game.

Not bad for a $90 investment, though! Time to uninstall. I guess I'll leave LGSA first, though.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
What does "Play Club Competition" mean?

Now I'm in LGSA do I just have to wait the 5 days or whatever for the competition to be over so I can actually by the locked Prowler equipment?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

What does "Play Club Competition" mean?

Now I'm in LGSA do I just have to wait the 5 days or whatever for the competition to be over so I can actually by the locked Prowler equipment?

Something weird is going on with the club stuff, cause I haven't played ANY club competitions and they seem to be slowly unlocking the club items. Ubisoft changed how they're doing things?

Otherwise, I'm under the impression your "club" has to win that week-period-whatever for the item to be available to JUST your group. Like I said though, I think its some weird staggered release now in that the club that wins gets the item now, everyone else gets it a week later.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

I just haven't gone back to the game after beating the DLC. I thought I was going to 100% it like I did the main game, but I have just about zero urge to. The DLC was alright, but super short, and I found myself saying "what, that's it?" when I finished it and got some lovely lantern for a reward, what the hell. My gear constantly bugging out and not unlocking (or relocking) is getting rather tiring too. Good game, I liked it, but I think I'm finally not having enough fun to put up with it anymore. Funnily enough, the free game I got was probably more fun than this game.

Not bad for a $90 investment, though! Time to uninstall. I guess I'll leave LGSA first, though.

...HOW? How did you play 94 hours of AC:U? I 100%'ed both the DLC and the main game AND got the plat trophy and it only took me 38 hours. :psyduck:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I haven't seen the primary source, but multiple people are saying the club competition prizes unlock for everyone three weeks later. Which is nice because the 2-billion points bug is still going. :argh:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I might have missed an explanation in the beginning, but is it ever explained where Arno's power to read the memories of the people he kills comes from? Is that just a new form of Eagle Vision or is Arno special somehow? For the first few assassinations, I thought the game was just filling in the gaps of the story that we don't actually witness, but then about halfway through the game Arno directly mentioned that he had read something from one of his victim's memories.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It's just new and slightly different Assassin specialness. That wacky First Civ DNA, what can't it do?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

No, it's never explained and frankly it's dumb as hell.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I want the protagonist in the new game to not have any first civ DNA, no eagle vision or anything. I want him/her to be the Batman of the Assassins, being badass as an ordinary person with just determination and willpower.

Kinda like Edward seemed at the beginning, I guess.

I loved that opening, story-wise.

e: Also as a result they are terrible at combat and must be the sneakiest of all.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ratbert90 posted:

...HOW? How did you play 94 hours of AC:U?

Played a lot of co-op because I actually really enjoyed the game. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PoshAlligator posted:

I want the protagonist in the new game to not have any first civ DNA, no eagle vision or anything. I want him/her to be the Batman of the Assassins, being badass as an ordinary person with just determination and willpower.

Kinda like Edward seemed at the beginning, I guess.

I loved that opening, story-wise.

e: Also as a result they are terrible at combat and must be the sneakiest of all.

It would be especially nice, and thematically appropriate, for this protagonist to be a Templar. The Templars, lacking the superhuman powers of the Assassins, seek the artifacts of the precursors to bring justice and order to a world that the Assassins are content to watch devolve into chaos as they terrorize it from the shadows with their inhuman powers.

edit: calling it now: the real life Mentor of the modern era is freaking Ron Paul.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 22, 2015

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

sidenote: I remember feeling kind of creeped out and grateful that I don't work for Ubisoft after playing the real-life parts of Black Flag where you're tromping around the Abstergo Entertainment offices. Some of the stuff they put into these games is so strangely meta, or a little off the mark, and it's just like... how self-aware are you people, really? How do you keep letting games like this come out? What's going on?

The frame story in Black Flag is, I like to imagine, a hilarious parody of what it's actually like to work for Ubisoft, and Rogue's complete failure to follow up on any of the satire is the thing that most left a sour taste in my mouth about it.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
So now Abstergo can just yank random memories from, I'm guessing, their "blood bank" and getting their employees to play through them? Because otherwise, how are they getting the memories of Arno and Shay if they have no apparent descendants?

As an aside, it'd be awesome if the modern day "protagonists" of Rogue and Black Flag ended up duking it out on the sides of the Templars and Assassins, respectively.

And one more thing, Ubisoft! You can't just name drop Connor in Rogue's employee emails along with "oh yeah he had a wife and his death! Wow, that was a mess wasn't it!" without some kind of exposition. He may not be my favorite Assassin but I want some kind of closure. That's super hosed up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ubisoft just expects you to have bought the books and comic books and figurines and rear end creed toilet paper and how aren't you using the premium version of the companion mobile app, what the hell man.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Palpek posted:

Ubisoft just expects you to have bought the books and comic books and figurines and rear end creed toilet paper and how aren't you using the premium version of the companion mobile app, what the hell man.

Time to hit Wikipedia

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It would be especially nice, and thematically appropriate, for this protagonist to be a Templar. The Templars, lacking the superhuman powers of the Assassins, seek the artifacts of the precursors to bring justice and order to a world that the Assassins are content to watch devolve into chaos as they terrorize it from the shadows with their inhuman powers.

edit: calling it now: the real life Mentor of the modern era is freaking Ron Paul.

Haytham was the best.

Didn't even want to kill him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

After Rogue the road is pretty much open for a full-fledged Templar game but they would have to make the Assassin grandmaster some crazy maniac who you have to stop or something because Ubisoft can't live with the protagonist being a bad guy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I thought Rogue itself was supposed to be a full fledged Templar game :confused:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I thought Rogue itself was supposed to be a full fledged Templar game :confused:

Haven't played it but I'm pretty sure Shaye starts out as an Assassin and defects to the Templars, hence why he has eagle vision and a assassin wristblade.

What the other posters are talking about is a game where you're Templar all the way through.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oh I see, I haven't played it either I just thought from the advertising/reviews etc. that it was a Templar game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with Shay joining the Templars is he doesn't really do it out of any ideological reasons. He mostly does it because the people who help him out after the Assassins turn on him are all Templars.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Shay mainly joins the templars because the assassins he trained with in north america were complete cockholes.

The game keeps it nicely ambiguous if Shay actually believes the tenets of the templars, or if their goals simply match up with his.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with Shay joining the Templars is he doesn't really do it out of any ideological reasons. He mostly does it because the people who help him out after the Assassins turn on him are all Templars.

Nah, he does. The entire point of his story is that post-Earthquake Disaster he comes around to the idea that absolute freedom is a poo poo because it can lead to things like that. He never sits down and goes "I agree with the Templars wholeheartedly" but the entire root of his argument is that he changes towards believing that sort of thing is unacceptable.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Narcissus1916 posted:

Shay mainly joins the templars because the assassins he trained with in north america were complete cockholes.

The game keeps it nicely ambiguous if Shay actually believes the tenets of the templars, or if their goals simply match up with his.

I dunno, his speech at the end in Versailles sure seemed like he had gone full Templar by the end.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
They say how Connor dies in extended universe? I hope it's really painful. Like, I hope that he shits blood and the entire time, he blames it on Charles Lee. That would be an enjoyable end to a terrible character.

CHARLES LEE :argh:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Grimace posted:

They say how Connor dies in extended universe? I hope it's really painful. Like, I hope that he shits blood and the entire time, he blames it on Charles Lee. That would be an enjoyable end to a terrible character.

It's a video game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PoshAlligator posted:

Haytham was the best.

Didn't even want to kill him.

Can I just use this as a springboard to poo poo on AC3 a bit more and say that the Haytham boss battle was hilariously dumb? I know that the AC games have never had good boss battles but at the very least they mostly had a great idea (Duel with your nemesis overseen by Richard the Lionheart! Fistfight with the Pope!) that was let down by bad mechanics. But by the time Connor comes along Assassins apparently kill people by throwing them into tables and benches really hard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

macnbc posted:

I dunno, his speech at the end in Versailles sure seemed like he had gone full Templar by the end.

Well, that was after he had been a member for about 20 years so it makes sense that he'd be a little more into it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Grimace posted:

I think his wife leaves him and takes his kid and he just descends into alcoholism.

At any rate, I know Connor was dull, but I thought he was pretty interesting in that he was one of the first characters to question the assassins and actually tried to understand the templars' PoV

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So, I picked this up as a first time AC player. I had nothing to really gauge this against. Enjoyed it a lot. If I want to play more and wreck my opinion of Unity which should I play? I have a decent pc, ps4 and vita if that narrows my choices.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, poo poo. Apparently the GTX 970 has a widespread hardware fault that causes it to only use a little over 3Gb VRAM instead of all 4. That could explain some things about this game's performance too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stringbean posted:

So, I picked this up as a first time AC player. I had nothing to really gauge this against. Enjoyed it a lot. If I want to play more and wreck my opinion of Unity which should I play? I have a decent pc, ps4 and vita if that narrows my choices.

The best games in the series are probably AC:Brotherhood if you like the city exploring and climbing/parkour elements, and AC4 if you want to sail a pirate ship around and blow up other ships. I wouldn't bother with the others.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Stringbean posted:

Two and Brotherhood are by far the best of the series. Plus, you wont need to play the first game to understand what's going on in 2 and onwards, you could probably read a quick wiki plot summary and get the real gist. I wouldn't recommend playing Brotherhood without playing 2, though, as it drops you in immediately following the insanity that is the end of the AC2.

Black Flag is also good if you want a stand-alone story, as is Freedom Cry.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks folks I'll probably pick up black flag then. I like pirates and boats, yaaarrrrrr

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Revelations is also good, it's just so similar to Brotherhood while offering an inferior city to run around in that people didn't dig it as much. It's still definitely better than AC2. AC2+Bro+Rev is a good trilogy of the best protagonist in the series. AC4+Rogue are great in other ways but they're also the most polished mechanically.

If playing 5 games sounds like a stupid idea I'd go with just AC4 as it's the most standalone and fun.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, Brotherhood is a damned good open world, plenty to unlock, tons to do, plus it always feels badass to unleash a swarm of assassins on your target. On the downside, it's the middle of an ongoing story, and it makes NO attempt to fill you in on what's going on.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I loved Revelations because it put a bow on Ezio and Altair's arc and focused more on Ezio himself rather than the whole Assassin-Templar debacle. Brotherhood was peak badass for the series at the time as well.

I finished Dead Kings, and I feel somewhat gipped because I think Arno in Egypt would have been 10 times more interesting than Franciade

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Hannibal Smith posted:

I might have missed an explanation in the beginning, but is it ever explained where Arno's power to read the memories of the people he kills comes from? Is that just a new form of Eagle Vision or is Arno special somehow? For the first few assassinations, I thought the game was just filling in the gaps of the story that we don't actually witness, but then about halfway through the game Arno directly mentioned that he had read something from one of his victim's memories.
At no point in this game will you get an explanation for anything. It just exists out of context and the ending makes it pretty obvious that you wasted your time playing the game. I mean, that literally is the ending of the main "story". You're informed that there was no reason for you to play through the game in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, poo poo. Apparently the GTX 970 has a widespread hardware fault that causes it to only use a little over 3Gb VRAM instead of all 4. That could explain some things about this game's performance too.

Well, that's a bit lovely, i really hope there's a way to either fix it with software or a card replacement system. From what i've read, it's 3.5GB instead of the 4GB it uses but that has the potential to cause higher end settings to have lower frame rates due to the way memory is requested.

• Locked thread