Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Now I would like to have an episode with Donna, Rory, Wilf and Brian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Filox posted:

Now I would like to have an episode with Donna, Rory, Wilf and Brian.

It's 30 seconds long. The Doctor shows up having registered a deadly alien menace on Earth. He walks in the door and the four tell him,"Oh nevermind Doctor, we already sorted it out, would you like a cup of tea?"

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

It's 30 seconds long. The Doctor shows up having registered a deadly alien menace on Earth. He walks in the door and the four tell him,"Oh nevermind Doctor, we already sorted it out, would you like a cup of tea?"

I would enjoy it.

We should send them to find Gallifrey, because it's looking like left on his own the Doctor's going to faff around and take years at it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Filox posted:

I would enjoy it.

We should send them to find Gallifrey, because it's looking like left on his own the Doctor's going to faff around and take years at it.

Nobody wants Gallifrey back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angela Christine posted:

Trenzalore proved that :v:.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Angela Christine posted:

Sorry, I kinda do. :shrug:

I mean, yes, I acknowledge the following:

1) Gallifrey, as portrayed in Classic Who, was always poo poo.
2) Most of the Time Lords were also poo poo.
3) There was significant value in using the Time War in 2005 to reset the universe so that you don't have to deal with explaining the Time Lords and all their baggage to new fans.

All true.

However...one of the key elements of the Doctor has always been that he's a renegade Time Lord. That he goes against the laws of his people, steals a time machine, and mucks about in time, making things better where the Time Lords are content to just sit on their robed asses and watch. He is, at his core, someone rebelling against complacent authority in the name of doing what is right.

You can't have that element to the character if the authority has been blown off the map. That's why the whole Time Lord Victorious is such a failure for Ten. He's decided to try and become the authority that he had spent all his life opposing. And, as it should, that hubris immediately kicks him in the balls. You can see it in Series Eight as well, where the Doctor bristles at Danny calling him an "officer" and again with how uncomfortable, and ultimately useless, the Doctor is when appointed the President of Earth. He only manages to accomplish anything once he's lost that power, given up that authority, and returned to his true calling: an idiot with a box and a screwdriver, lending a hand.

Which means you need Gallifrey, and functional Time Lords, to provide the laws and authoritarian order that the Doctor messes up with his free-wheeling chaos.

So while I'm perfectly happy to let the old portrayal of the Time Lords go away, I think you need something there to fill that role. And hey, maybe we'll get some kind of revised post-Time War Time Lords who aren't as poo poo once the Doctor finally gets them out of the hole he buried them in. We mostly all love Missy, right? There's no reason to think that the Moff (or his successor) can't give the Time Lords an equally effective reboot, is there?

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I agree with what much of what you say, however I mostly fear we're going to be subjected to yonks of the Doctor repeatedly trying and failing to find Gallifrey, only to eventually see him find it in a badly written script and then discover the Time Lords are the same bunch of shits they always were.

On the whole, I'd rather the cut through the crap and get it over with. I just don't think the Time Lords, as we have known them, are worth all the drawn out drama.

Filox fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 22, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I must say, I was very relieved that Moff didn't even joke about The Doctor and Missy attempting to repopulate the species. I could totally see the Master trying to do that once she found herself with female equipment. Admirable restraint.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

I must say, I was very relieved that Moff didn't even joke about The Doctor and Missy attempting to repopulate the species. I could totally see the Master trying to do that once she found herself with female equipment. Admirable restraint.

Well they don't have any looms.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'd like to see an episode where the Doctor doesn't find another Time Lord, but rather an empty and abandoned TARDIS...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CobiWann posted:

I'd like to see an episode where the Doctor doesn't find another Time Lord, but rather an empty and abandoned TARDIS...

Go watch "The Lodger" again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That was a replica TARDIS being built by the Silence though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Don't do it, Doctor! That's an infinite chasm of horror and nothingness! Also, there's an empty TARDIS.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dabir posted:

That was a replica TARDIS being built by the Silence though.

Yeah, I meant one just floating in the Vortex or sitting abandoned on a street corner somewhere by its last inhabitant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Endless tunnels and spaces, an entire civilisation sprung up down there... but the corridors and rooms twist back on themselves in a way that doesn't entirely make three-dimensional sense...

End reveal, they lead everyone out through the ruins of the console room onto a new world

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MikeJF posted:

Endless tunnels and spaces, an entire civilisation sprung up down there... but the corridors and rooms twist back on themselves in a way that doesn't entirely make three-dimensional sense...

End reveal, they lead everyone out through the ruins of the console room onto a new world

So Pandorum in a sense...I like it!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

house of leaves, only with a tardis. you're welcome, moffat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You mean The Navidson Record but with a TARDIS.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

DoctorWhat posted:

You mean The Navidson Record but with a TARDIS.

I always skip the non navidson parts now

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Navidson Record is really great, it really is, but the rest of the book is really good too once you get into it. Of course, that's a tough thing to do, but while The Navidson Record is a fantastic story, the solipsistic metanarrative has its value.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 22, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

House of Leaves is an interesting thing that I hesitate to call a novel. It's a horror art book thing. I enjoyed it a lot.

I have also been enjoying 100. I've heard the first two stories so far (100 BC and My Own Private Wolfgang), and your mileage is going to vary, because they are both complete and utter farces, which, as we know, tend to be very love or hate it in Doctor Who and in Big Finish in particular. But I laughed out loud while I was walking to my friend's place yesterday listening to 100 BC and the ending of the Wolfgang story is so screwball, I want to see an elaborate staged version with a bunch of brothers playing the roles.

Plus it was nice to hear Evelyn again after such a long absence and Colin really seems to enjoy working with her.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My Own Private Wolfgang is a Rob Shearman script and it shows. It's so good.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

DoctorWhat posted:

The Navidson Record is really great, it really is, but the rest of the book is really good too once you get into it. Of course, that's a tough thing to do, but while The Navidson Record is a fantastic story, the solipsistic metanarrative has its value.

I've found it dull every time I've read it and I think the other person who disagreed used the word metanarritive as well

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I liked House of Leaves a lot but that's mostly because I've always been super-fascinated in the concept of "wrong space" and the Navidson Record is like one of the crown jewels of that concept.

Also I took the time to unscramble the coded message from Johnny's mother by hand and that was a memorable little moment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've owned House of Leaves for many years, and one day I might even read it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always felt like Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS was a bit of a waste for not leaning in that direction a bit more, especially since the TARDIS was ostensibly panicking during it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Also I took the time to unscramble the coded message from Johnny's mother by hand and that was a memorable little moment.

Yeah, at the time, I had an hour and a half commute and I was reading a lot on the bus, but I had to take breaks so that I could do things like hold the book up to a mirror or jot notes down. It will always be a unique experience because that tome is an obvious labor of love with an intense amount of effort put into it, but I do wonder if people are going to do a bit more of playing with the medium upon which the story is printed soon, particularly now that e-books are more prolific.

If Stephen King could have the words he usually puts in parentheses and italics flash across the page and then vanish instead, I bet he'd have done it. It'll be like everything else, in that it'll be immediately bombarded by people grabbing onto ideas for gimmicks, and the basic printed word will always be my favorite medium, but I bet there are people who could do interesting things with self turning pages or links.

DoctorWhat posted:

My Own Private Wolfgang is a Rob Shearman script and it shows. It's so good.

:aaa: Well, that explains why I enjoyed it so much! I'm actually a bit surprised, because I didn't care much for The Maltese Penguin, which is his other screwball comedy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

House of Leaves is an interesting thing that I hesitate to call a novel. It's a horror art book thing. I enjoyed it a lot.

I have also been enjoying 100. I've heard the first two stories so far (100 BC and My Own Private Wolfgang), and your mileage is going to vary, because they are both complete and utter farces, which, as we know, tend to be very love or hate it in Doctor Who and in Big Finish in particular. But I laughed out loud while I was walking to my friend's place yesterday listening to 100 BC and the ending of the Wolfgang story is so screwball, I want to see an elaborate staged version with a bunch of brothers playing the roles.

Plus it was nice to hear Evelyn again after such a long absence and Colin really seems to enjoy working with her.

Don't worry, you'll get to Bedtime Story next, which is by Joe Lidster and is therefore misery piled upon misery.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shearman followed by Lidster? Jesus Christ. That's like going to a broadway production in which the encore is a high school play.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

Shearman followed by Lidster? Jesus Christ. That's like going to a broadway production in which the encore is a high school play.

And the final one is by Paul Cornell. ENJOY YOUR ENTERTAINMENT WHIPLASH

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

And the final one is by Paul Cornell. ENJOY YOUR ENTERTAINMENT WHIPLASH

New thread name.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

The Hamlet 2 of Doctor Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

That's pretty much the plot of The Infinity Doctors a '?DA'* from BBC books.

*it's never explicitly stated which incarnation of the Doctor it is.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I've been listening to the fourth doctor's big finish and is it just me or is the sound mixing just awful? I can't hear half the muttering lines and then the music is blaring at a huge volume.

I have a commute now so I bought all of the fourth docs stories as he was always my favorite. I think I just started season three.

Is the sound thing a problem on my side?

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Only reason I want Gallifrey back is the possibility of Narvin and co. on TV.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Bunnita posted:

I've been listening to the fourth doctor's big finish and is it just me or is the sound mixing just awful? I can't hear half the muttering lines and then the music is blaring at a huge volume.

I have a commute now so I bought all of the fourth docs stories as he was always my favorite. I think I just started season three.

Is the sound thing a problem on my side?

I did notice same in first few episodes, but either I got accustomed to it, or the problem went away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

MikeJF posted:

Have you dudes been rifling through my folder of scripts written in blissful ignorance of the vetting process for script submission at the BBC? :ohdear:

That can be the only answer, there's no way that many Doctor Who fans have all had the same basic idea for the premise of a story, no way at all!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Have you dudes been rifling through my folder of scripts written in blissful ignorance of the vetting process for script submission at the BBC? :ohdear:

That can be the only answer, there's no way that many Doctor Who fans have all had the same basic idea for the premise of a story, no way at all!

Keep your mitts off my folder of Big Finish scripts, you!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Keep your mitts off my folder of Big Finish scripts, you!

These all open with,"The Doctor has amnesia....." :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eight may actually have amnesia more times than all of the characters of the Final Fantasy series combined.

• Locked thread