Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The tournament arc itself was the least fun part to watch (that is to say, episodes 5,6, and 8. 7 gets a pass because of course it does), but that's also partly because they didn't spend the prior episodes creating meaningful characters for Team Try Fighters to fight against.

The first 4 episodes also set up a decent character dynamic but then ended up going nowhere with it for the tournament arc. Especially for Sekai who thus far has just coasted by on "I wanna play robot punchmans with people." Well, sometimes he shows glimmers of a personality regarding his sister but that's rare.

Epsiode 10 onwards the show became a lot better! Well, except for that one fight in episode 11 but I seriously can't be bothered at that when it also heralded the Meijin descending from the heavens in Optimus Prime.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think the entire idea behind Sekai IS that he's kind of a meathead.

This may yet come back to bite everyone when the other guy who knows kempo finally gets involved.

What does Sekai value more? His new friends or a chance to beat the snot out of a worthy opponent?

I got a feeling Junya is the latter more than the former, and this is probably why everyone who knows him seems to hate his guts. I can easily see Sekai trying to overcome his natural tendency to wanna just run off and channel his Inner Spiky Haired Protagonist being a plot point.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

W.T. Fits posted:

I love how the show makes it a point that they're just friends. No awkward childhood crush, no secret romantic feelings, and they're comfortable enough that they can tease each other about their respective romantic issues. Just a guy and a girl who have a hobby in common with each other.

And thank god for that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They got manga for that already.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I really think episodes 7 and 8 should have been rolled into one. Gyanko didn't need an entire episode devoted to her loss. Hell I don't think they needed to show her loss on screen. Keep it down to 4 episodes with at least 2 pretty good fights and the arc would have been much smoother IMHO.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

I really think episodes 7 and 8 should have been rolled into one. Gyanko didn't need an entire episode devoted to her loss. Hell I don't think they needed to show her loss on screen. Keep it down to 4 episodes with at least 2 pretty good fights and the arc would have been much smoother IMHO.

Yeah, but that'd deprive us of more Gyanko, one of the only rival characters introduced in the first 10 or so episodes with a defined and likable personality.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good episode, really seems nice that they worked all the supporting characters up but I think they already fought that gunpla battle.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
I can't get over how the BGM when they're launching for the last fight has guys going 'gundamdamgunnadam' as the rhythym track in the music. A-capella style. It's so nerdy and yet I want more of this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

junopsis posted:

I can't get over how the BGM when they're launching for the last fight has guys going 'gundamdamgunnadam' as the rhythym track in the music. A-capella style. It's so nerdy and yet I want more of this.

Actually they're going GANDABADAGANDABADA which makes even less sense.

Full track here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-vqwpHJzk

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Tenzarin posted:

Good episode, really seems nice that they worked all the supporting characters up but I think they already fought that gunpla battle.

Amusingly, the nationals are shaping up to be literally regionals ver. 2 as far as roster goes.

First Round Job: Sunrise Cameo Team (we had GN-X's painted like Granzort mechs)
Renato Triplets: As far as their kit goes, its the Dragonar Team's gimmick again.
Sugita: Mobile Armor team.
Junya: "Big episode for Sekai" fight.
Zaku Trio: Closest is Gyanko/Team Free for being Zeonic.
Final Boss Team: Gunpla Academy

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Part of me is actually hoping that Junya trashes the Gunpla Academy. They won't, I mean at best it'll be Sekai learning a new technique from him, gaining new respect for him then watching him get wrecked by Shia or her big brother whose name escapes me at the moment.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Lucas' team is most probably going to take Gyanko's place as 'team that gets schooled by Gunpla Academy to make them look badass' given the bracket breakdowns. Also the head appeared to have a bone to pick with the Gunpla Academy.

Zaku team are basically the 'Job to make everyone else look better team.'

quote:

Part of me is actually hoping that Junya trashes the Gunpla Academy. They won't, I mean at best it'll be Sekai learning a new technique from him, gaining new respect for him then watching him get wrecked by Shia or her big brother whose name escapes me at the moment.

Junya is in the Try Fighter's bracket, though, so he's not making it to the Semis.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Lucas' team is most probably going to take Gyanko's place as 'team that gets schooled by Gunpla Academy to make them look badass' given the bracket breakdowns. Also the head appeared to have a bone to pick with the Gunpla Academy.

Zaku team are basically the 'Job to make everyone else look better team.'

Junya is in the Try Fighter's bracket, though, so he's not making it to the Semis.

Did not notice that!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TARDISman posted:

Did not notice that!

Yep, someone posted that the brackets show that Try Fighters is taking on the Renatos followed by Isao.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I for one approve of Gyanko upgrading from Sekai to Shimon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

chumbler posted:

I for one approve of Gyanko upgrading from Sekai to Shimon.

Not an upgrade, just a side piece. Karate bowl's not over yet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not an upgrade, just a side piece. Karate bowl's not over yet.

Literally anyone is an upgrade from Sekai :colbert:.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Literally anyone is an upgrade from Sekai :colbert:.

Boxer dude is literally just Sekai with a slightly tragic (Read: Not at all tragic because his kid brother is fine) backstory.

Except he lost, like a punk. He's a loser Sekai.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gyanko deserves to hook up with someone who isn't totally oblivious.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Gyanko deserves to hook up with someone who isn't totally oblivious.

Well the only person her age that she knows that isn't punch-drunk dumb is...Yuuma.

What I'm saying is Sekai's the least terrible option.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Shimon has approximately the same number of personality traits as Sekai, the difference is that he's not a main character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Shimon has approximately the same number of personality traits as Sekai, the difference is that he's not a main character.

Actually that's not true. Mainly because Shimon has an actual range of emotions and facial expressions. Sekai's entire personality starts and ends with :downs:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually that's not true. Mainly because Shimon has an actual range of emotions and facial expressions. Sekai's entire personality starts and ends with :downs:.

Hey, sometimes he gets angry.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's those Kamiki genetics. We've established pretty well by now that that family is utterly irresistible to the opposite sex. Sekai is your only real option if you don't want your boyfriend stolen by Mirai, and vice versa.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not his fault the special move animation gets reused so much.

Transient Gundam kit for April by the way. Horray!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

When the heck are we getting the GaoGaiGar ZZ Gundam as a kit!!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I haven't finished the Ez8 Seiren team, I can wait.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly at first I thought it wouldn't get a kit but after seeing how simple the combiner individuals are we might actually see something coming out. Still Its probably going to be a 2500yen tier kit at the very least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Honestly at first I thought it wouldn't get a kit but after seeing how simple the combiner individuals are we might actually see something coming out. Still Its probably going to be a 2500yen tier kit at the very least.

I think a kit's actually doable too. Let's go to the pictures! :goonsay:

The legs and upper body are pretty distinguishable in two of the individual machines, and from the looks of it most of the gold lion is backpack kibble. All you'd really need in terms of partsforming is to stick the head and hands on. I just hope they make the lion head able to open while on the torso like the Crossbone X Maoh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love how the full name is "The Strongest Machine Trion 3."

Never change, Mianto. Keep going full Super Robot.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The legs and upper body are pretty distinguishable in two of the individual machines, and from the looks of it most of the gold lion is backpack kibble. All you'd really need in terms of partsforming is to stick the head and hands on. I just hope they make the lion head able to open while on the torso like the Crossbone X Maoh.

Looks like the lion's mouth has another High Mega Cannon, so it'd better be able to open.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm hoping for a vocal theme.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Actually they're going GANDABADAGANDABADA which makes even less sense.

Full track here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-vqwpHJzk

hahahahaha what
(thank you for edification!)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

chumbler posted:

The meijin really did save BF Try.

This needed to be given more facetime.

Kyrios using trans-am and still getting wasted is pretty faithful to 00 :smug:. I hope this is the only episode where they just annihilate their opponents to show off their new gunpla though. The power disparity in 15 was ridiculous.

nuru fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 22, 2015

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

nuru posted:

This needed to be given more facetime.

Kyrios using trans-am and still getting wasted is pretty faithful to 00 :smug:. I hope this is the only episode where they just annihilate their opponents to show off their new gunpla though. The power disparity in 15 was ridiculous.

Also I only just realized the reference of trans-am's red hue and making the suits 3 times faster.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are they not doing a global tourney in this series? Just National?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kingtheninja posted:

Are they not doing a global tourney in this series? Just National?

Looks like it, but it would be kinda ridiculous for the show to act like they can take on Team Meijin anyway

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

14th Worlds will obviously be saved for Season 3.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Looks like it, but it would be kinda ridiculous for the show to act like they can take on Team Meijin anyway

I expect that will probably be an exhibition match in the last episode for the tournament winners. I really really want to see a Stargazer Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Also keep in mind that the tournaments they are participating in are only for kids 19 or younger, which means that it would be impossible for them to go against team meijin, unless there is one world tournament for all ages and has the winners of the 19 or younger and the 20+ tournaments representing each region.

• Locked thread