Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So since it looks like the Machi Koro cards are different from the base set (Jesus that's dumb) would sleeving them help with the problem? What sleeves would be good for both the base and expansion set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Castles of Burgundy has been fairly cheap for a while on BBGuru (£19 which would be akin to $19), I recall hearing good things but know nothing about the game. Any words?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Turkey posted:

Castles of Burgundy has been fairly cheap for a while on BBGuru (£19 which would be akin to $19), I recall hearing good things but know nothing about the game. Any words?

Castles of Burgundy is an excellent buy for $19.

It's a 2-4 player game where your actions are restricted by dice rolls and what's available on the market. You can mitigate the dependence on random chance by acquiring resources - workers and silver - that help you adjust your dice rolls or buy from a central 'black market', respectively.

The rules are all fairly straightforward and after you explain them once they should gel together easily. It's pretty frontloaded when you first pick it up though.

I found it a bit of a letdown on my first play but that was because it took 3 hours (with 4 new players) and with 4 players you don't have nearly the same problem of having to make hard decisions with suboptimal actions that you do with 2 or 3 players, as the market is much bigger. I have played it twice since, with 4 and 2 players, and enjoyed it more.

The game is the definition of point salad. You will win the game if you are able to make the most of your actions to achieve a wide range of smaller goals (like 'build all mines asap', 'corner the cow market' or 'fill this massive brown space with buildings'). If this sounds like it would interest you, then you will probably like Castles of Burgundy. If, however, you want to have a grand strategy and execute it, this game is probably not for you.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 22, 2015

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

echoMateria posted:

My friend bought every Legendary game and expansion and we didn't have a problem until...

When we placed the order including Legendary Villains, store had ran out of the Mayday sleeves he was buying for it, so we played other stuff until those are in stock. We got the sleeves in the next order, so he opened his game's shrink wrap, started sleeving the cards so we can play it that weekend and realized a card from Rogue's deck was missing. He mailed Upperdeck for it and they demanded an invoice proving the purchase was made in the last 90 days. We mailed the store to ask what can be done about it since its been more than 90 days due to the sleeve shortage, and there hasn't been any progress since.

I normally just add a photo of my games' barcode when I'm requesting a replacement and aside Kemet guys totally ignoring my misprinted victory tile replacemenent request (which I fixed by applying photocopy stickers on) this is the first time we are having a replacement issue.

Post this on BGG. Upper Deck is rather active on there, and they definitely don't want their reputation to be tarnished publicly. It's sad that companies will pay more attention to you if you publicly decry their bad service. The squeaky wheel gets more grease.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Super helpful post, thank you.

I'll probably still go for Eldritch Horror, but Legends of Andor I completely missed and your writeup makes it seem like the sort of thing I'd enjoy, so that's on the list too now. Robinson Crusoe I'd pick up if a friend of mine wasn't constantly promising to get it, and Samurai Spirit will be mine the second they actually start selling it in the UK. That Dawn of the Dead game looks pretty interesting too so I might give that a whirl.

Also, while going through your old posts I was amused to see this

quote:

If you also like Earth Reborn but have no one to play with we're probably long-lost siblings or something.

because I guess that makes me the one person in this thread with a friend who owns the game but literally won't invite me round to play it. It's very strange, he says he wants to play it, I say I want to play it but he just... won't set the time aside. He is a reverse human I think.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Single Tight Female posted:

Also, while going through your old posts I was amused to see this

because I guess that makes me the one person in this thread with a friend who owns the game but literally won't invite me round to play it. It's very strange, he says he wants to play it, I say I want to play it but he just... won't set the time aside. He is a reverse human I think.

Earth Reborn is one of those games where after you put it down for a long time you have to read a ton of poo poo to get yourself up to speed again. I can understand how he might have the intention to play it but the actual act of doing so is more daunting.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

KomradeX posted:

So since it looks like the Machi Koro cards are different from the base set (Jesus that's dumb) would sleeving them help with the problem? What sleeves would be good for both the base and expansion set?

I used Fantasy Flight American sized sleeves. Took 200 of them.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
So, I played Magic Realm Tuesday night with a new player and he didn't hate it. :dance:

We decided to play a cooperative game, he chose the Berserker and I played the Wizard (a good support character).

We played for 2 1/2 hours and got to day 14, half-way through the game, which is pretty typical.

We fought and defeated two heavy trolls and the T. Demon at the Altar and then the Berserker looted treasure (including the v. powerful timeless jewel) while the Wizard learned spells from was cursed by the Altar. On the way to the Chapel to remove the disgust and ill-health curses from the Wizard we sold our loot to the Soldiers and then murdered them with the help of our two hired rogues.

I feel like I did a pretty good job of explaining the game as we went, the other player even corrected me on a couple points later in the game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fat Turkey posted:

Lord Frisk posted:

I fuckin knew it.

Castles of burgundy: a pleasant, non confrontational euro that defines the "point salad" approach. Build your castles in the French countryside at the request of your king (surprise !) gaining victory points from almost every action. Previous player take the thing you wanted? Don't worry, there's more stuff next round. It's the only good use of dice in a modern board game.

That's my writeup. Use it or I refuse to read this thread. That is all.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Played Level 7: Invasion last night; I've played it a couple times before but i'm a little on the fence about it, since the game seems to be made specifically to be both easy and at the same time feel like you're moments from losing. The game is structured as a sort of combination between Xcom geoscape, Risk-like battles - compare "Power" and whoever has most is the attacker, Power is on a basic 0 - 3 scale, although any ties between you and the aliens goes to the aliens. This determines if you are the attacker or defender, which determines what the die symbols do for you. If you are the attacker, + on the die means you kill an alien unit off, and - means you lose one of yours, with = being both sides lose one unit, if you were the defender you only kill an alien unit on -, and =. Each die has 3 + symbols, 2 =, and 1 - symbol, so being the attacker is a huge, huge benefit and since there is always a battle step, and battle can determine things like how much resources you lose, if your territories get overrun, and your coalition health, which makes it one of the more important paths of the 4 you can upgrade. You can't even invest highly into another path to counter a poor military, since while they can mitigate damage done by invaders, ultimately the best way to save yourself being killed off is by keeping your areas as clear as possible. You do have to research the other tech as well though, since you can flatout ignore a lot of damage with a good roll - events that you assign (Each coalition chooses between two negative events to assign, so you will have 5 events per round, as there are 5 coalitions that all have to be in the game)will be of a few different types, from assaults to crop decimation to viral video etc, and tech can let you roll an + or = or - or whatever it happens to be to outright cancel the event. By the end of the game you cancel a lot of the bad events, but you always have to deal with alien units since each event tells you where to place some new units.

You win by researching 7 joint projects (So coalitions can contribute whatever parts of the requirements as necessary) and moving a little figure around between coalition areas, since it has to be in specific spots to research each project. When you research the final project you have to survive one more wave which can dump a bunch of poo poo on you, since you roll a die and any + add an extra figure anytime you place one, so you could possibly see twice as many units by the end of the event phase to fight. The only problem is you only have to hold onto your capitals, so you just move all your units to that spot to hold it. You might not even have to fight anything. I didn't have to in my game last night, since nothing popped into my coalition capital.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bobvonunheil posted:

Earth Reborn is one of those games where after you put it down for a long time you have to read a ton of poo poo to get yourself up to speed again. I can understand how he might have the intention to play it but the actual act of doing so is more daunting.

Earth Reborn is my favorite board game of all time but even I admit that there are a lot of rules that require a cognitive refresh between playtimes and the setup is horrible horrible horrible even if the results are spectacular.

It's actually one of the reasons I'm so interested in the Conan KS, it's a lighter tac-minis game that takes an hour and doesn't have build-a-boards like Descent or ER. Just whip out a scenario, set up the board and play.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

bobvonunheil posted:

The same guy subjected me to a 5 hour game of War on Terror :( Daunting should mean nothing to him.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if spaced repetition and other modern learning theory could be used to retain board game rules. I'm half joking half spergin. I have a bunch of games that don't make it back to the table frequently because I have to relearn the rules if enough time has passed. Maybe I should anki drill Twilight Struggle cards in my head :spergin:

Maybe play a game once one day, again the next (even if just gold fishing it solo), then in 4 days, etc

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Anyone fancy a game of Kemet here via the forums? I played over the holidays and have still got a total craving to play it, and think it'd work fine; Chaos in the Old World was cool as a PBP, and Kemet is definitely simpler and shorter.

I'd do the bookkeeping, so it shouldn't even be that fiddly to play. New players definitely welcome!

For the record: I've played it three times, all with people completely new to it, and lost horribly three times. I'm not very good at Kemet.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 22, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd be interested although I haven't played before.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

That's cool! I've edited it into my post, but I've played 3 times and lost 3 times, all against other new players. Discovering strategy as you gently caress up is definitely fun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Supreme Court posted:

Anyone fancy a game of Kemet here via the forums? I played it three times over the holidays and have still got a total craving to play it, and think it'd work fine; Chaos in the Old World was cool as a PBP, and Kemet is definitely simpler and shorter.

I'd be up for it, too.

EDIT- Never played it before

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 22, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'd PBF Kemet, though be warned I've played it a fair amount. I'll defer if there are five less experienced players who want to try it.

TSC - remember that the discarded battle cards are hidden information, as are DI cards. You won't be able to moderate and play.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

The Supreme Court posted:

Anyone fancy a game of Kemet here via the forums?

I played it for the first time last week and we didn't finish the first game because of the time, so I'd love to have another chance. I am in the EU, my posts might be at odd hours.

Jedit posted:

TSC - remember that the discarded battle cards are hidden information, as are DI cards. You won't be able to moderate and play.

Discarded battle cards are open or not, it depends on what you decide beforehand. Manual says both are possible.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

For DI Cards we can use handtracker, I've just made a template with all the cards: http://handtracker.herokuapp.com/templates/333

Battles will be a bit fiddly. I'll make an email we use as a record.

When players have a battle, all they need to do is email their choice to the record email, and then post that they're ready. Then both players reveal and play battle as normal. If I'm involved in a battle we can just email a third party instead. This should work fine with battle card powers like Presience too.

To make that work, the battle discards will need to be public, but that's cool.

I'll make a thread and stop cluttering this one in an hour or so!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 22, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BioTech posted:

I played it for the first time last week and we didn't finish the first game because of the time, so I'd love to have another chance. I am in the EU, my posts might be at odd hours.

Discarded battle cards are open or not, it depends on what you decide beforehand. Manual says both are possible.

We have the played ones open, the discarded ones not, but I guess even knowing what the opponent's last two cards are could still be plenty of uncertainty!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've played a couple of Stone Age matches on BGA. When I first saw it played it seemed like a simple, strategy-centered game. But it's so loving broken!

All you need to do is be lucky enough to land some big multiplier cards and you'll win the game at the end of the match. Doesn't matter if you're starving, if you're low on food, just grab up those multipliers.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 22, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

disperse posted:

So, I played Magic Realm Tuesday night with a new player and he didn't hate it. :dance:

We decided to play a cooperative game, he chose the Berserker and I played the Wizard (a good support character).

We played for 2 1/2 hours and got to day 14, half-way through the game, which is pretty typical.

We fought and defeated two heavy trolls and the T. Demon at the Altar and then the Berserker looted treasure (including the v. powerful timeless jewel) while the Wizard learned spells from was cursed by the Altar. On the way to the Chapel to remove the disgust and ill-health curses from the Wizard we sold our loot to the Soldiers and then murdered them with the help of our two hired rogues.

I feel like I did a pretty good job of explaining the game as we went, the other player even corrected me on a couple points later in the game.

Sounds like a nice game :unsmith:, and speaking of Magic Realm...

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder if spaced repetition and other modern learning theory could be used to retain board game rules. I'm half joking half spergin. I have a bunch of games that don't make it back to the table frequently because I have to relearn the rules if enough time has passed. Maybe I should anki drill Twilight Struggle cards in my head :spergin:

Maybe play a game once one day, again the next (even if just gold fishing it solo), then in 4 days, etc

I think you might be onto something, but I also think the mental burden of re-learning a game just seems more daunting than it actually is. I know that wanting to re-play a game is far more common to me than wanting to brush up on the rules.

Setup time can also be a gotcha.

e: I have a vague project idea of games that can be stowed/put away in the "setup and ready to play for next time" configuration.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 22, 2015

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Setup time can also be a gotcha.

e: I have a vague project idea of games that can be stowed/put away in the "setup and ready to play for next time" configuration.

I have a lazy/quick way of playing Magic Realm if I don't feel like setting up the setup card in advanced. I simply pull out chits/treasures/spells as needed. I have the monster and traveling native groups separated by monster roll and keep my large treasures and small treasures sorted so, for instance, if we find a treasure location that has 4 large treasures and 3 small treasures I can just randomly pull them out at game time. The only possible gotcha is that treasure-within-treasure locations cannot contain other treasure-within-treasure locations but that can be solved by simply redrawing.

It still takes 15 minutes to put everything away correctly.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I think it's finally happening, I'm going to be able to repel an alien invasion with my bros from a secret facility somewhere in the world come the 28th. Xcom is shipping, maybe. Been looking forward to this since August when I demoed it at gencon

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Texibus posted:

I think it's finally happening, I'm going to be able to repel an alien invasion with my bros from a secret facility somewhere in the world come the 28th. Xcom is shipping, maybe. Been looking forward to this since August when I demoed it at gencon

It looks like all the boring parts of xcom without any of the fun parts though? Or at least that's what the previews looked like

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Texibus posted:

We're all definitely going to want a post-game report. It's a hyped-up FFG license game so some of us are a bit more pessimistic and cynical about it than we normally would be.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It looks like all the boring parts of xcom without any of the fun parts though? Or at least that's what the previews looked like

It's entirely within reason that a board game about the boring part of a video game could be fun. Video games and board games are different. Lots of fun board games are about boring things.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 22, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's entirely within reason that a board have about the boring part of a video game could be fun. Video games and board games are different. Lots of fun board games are about boring things.

That, and a board game about the fun part of xcom would just be Descent or those D&D crawlers with a scifi skin.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Galaxy Defenders seemed like it'd be the tactical layer of XCOM.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

Lots of fun board games are about boring things.

Are you saying that French castles, farms and trains are boring?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MildManeredManikin posted:

What about watching a bishop watch paint dry?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Texibus posted:

I should be getting a chance to try it tonight. I've heard mixed things, but I'm pretty excited.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Holy poo poo apparently there's a group in East Tennessee that gets 13-25 a meetup and they're having a session not five minutes away from me this rules:

http://www.metropulse.com/stories/throw-down-your-apps-more-and-more-people-are-getting-social-through-board-games

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

For ages I maintained that Talisman couldn't POSSIBLY be as bad as this thread made it sound.

I bought the Humble Bundle. I played Talisman. After 39 minutes I quit in disgust. It absolutely is just as bad, if not worse.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

T-Bone posted:

Holy poo poo apparently there's a group in East Tennessee that gets 13-25 a meetup and they're having a session not five minutes away from me this rules:

http://www.metropulse.com/stories/throw-down-your-apps-more-and-more-people-are-getting-social-through-board-games

You are so fortunate. Greg Schloesser is one of the nicest guys ever to play games with. Tell him Jennifer Schlickbernd said hi!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

MildManeredManikin posted:

Only the first two. There aren't any fun games about trains.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Only the first two. There aren't any fun games about trains.
Someone hasn't played 18XX :v:

(for good reasons)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Are there any good games about being a dwarf that aren't Caverna? Saboteur isn't bad, but I'd like something else that really embodies the dwarven experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Red November is basically flash point in a dwarven sub, if I remember correctly