Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

univbee posted:

About as well as can be expected, if my XRGB3 is anything to go by (it has a screen-zoom function that is explicitly labeled as "PSP"). You'll likely want component extension cables.

Ah cool that looks pretty good. Thanks for the screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ah, another fresh parts/repair lot.

And what do we have here?

Aw, :hellyeah:

Well, I shouldn't get ahead of myself. The power jack is busted and I won't be able to test this until I get a new one. I'll spare you the look inside, but suffice it to say I wore gloves after opening it up for the first time. :barf:

On that note, clean your stuff on a regular basis. I've torn up a bunch of old t-shirts to use as cleaning/polishing rags and if I re-assembled and wore them I'd look like like a leopard.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

univbee posted:

About as well as can be expected, if my XRGB3 is anything to go by (it has a screen-zoom function that is explicitly labeled as "PSP"). You'll likely want component extension cables.

Qu'est-ce que c'est un homme?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I recently finished my latest playthrough of SOTN, and the game still holds up so well it's ridiculous. Looks beautiful, sounds amazing, still fun to play even though I've basically memorized the whole thing. I did forget the trick to beating Galamoth though, which ended up being incredibly frustrating until I gamefaqs'd it and :doh: I'd JUST picked up the Beryl Circlet too, and saw that it made lightning damage heal me, but somehow forgot that by the time I made it to him

Also that translation is just awesome. I can't imagine playing a "fixed" version with a "better" translation, I feel like it'd just be... wrong, you know?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Qu'est-ce que c'est un homme?

The French version is only on PSP and so uses the new script which doesn't have that line. :argh:

"Hah! Mankind. A cesspit of hatred and lies! Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!"

That said, the entire back-and-forth of that scene makes a lot more sense in the new translation.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also uh.... I know it's a cardinal sin to even mention this but... part of me wants a retron because space is limited and I really can't hook up all my consoles at once.

I won't weigh in on the retron issue, but I will say that if space is an issue, you shouldn't be -trying- to hook up all of your consoles at once, you should be trying to make it as easy as possible to switch which console is hooked up while keeping the others stored but accessible when you want them.
If you decide to stick to real hardware, flashcarts are an -immense- help in this regard, as they can boil down many, many games to a single cartridge of space.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I recently finished my latest playthrough of SOTN, and the game still holds up so well it's ridiculous. Looks beautiful, sounds amazing, still fun to play even though I've basically memorized the whole thing. I did forget the trick to beating Galamoth though, which ended up being incredibly frustrating until I gamefaqs'd it and :doh: I'd JUST picked up the Beryl Circlet too, and saw that it made lightning damage heal me, but somehow forgot that by the time I made it to him

Also that translation is just awesome. I can't imagine playing a "fixed" version with a "better" translation, I feel like it'd just be... wrong, you know?

Shield rod + that one shield i forget makes quick work of Galamoth as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

madpanda posted:

Shield rod + that one shield i forget makes quick work of Galamoth as well.

Shield rod + 90% of shields in the game is practically cheating. I make a rule for myself that I cannot use it when I replay these days.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Do a run with the Ring of Ares and the Tyrfing equipped and nothing else.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Heads-up: The licensed homebrew C64 remake of Super Crate Box, dubbed Super Bread Box, is now available as a pay-what-you-want ROM download instead of being cartridge-exclusive.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

Shield rod + 90% of shields in the game is practically cheating. I make a rule for myself that I cannot use it when I replay these days.

I've ruined only about 40% of the game for myself by killing Schmoos for a Crissaegrim at the very first possible opportunity. That sword wrecks everything it touches and it's a drat good thing it shows up so late.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've had the Framemeister for a week and it's exceeded all my expectation. I couldn't be more happy and I've only tested it with Genesis and PS2. Thanks to everyone in this thread for putting me on the right path.

Here's a video of my dad and I playing Tengen Tetris. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV2NOrCFIYw

I suck at Tetris.

Finally got my NES>15-pin controller adapter so hope to film Duck Hunt this weekend. :laugh:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I'm going to order a Framemeister next week from Solaris - where's the best place to get a Japanese SCART or Euro-Japanese converter for my SNES?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Housh posted:

I've had the Framemeister for a week and it's exceeded all my expectation. I couldn't be more happy and I've only tested it with Genesis and PS2. Thanks to everyone in this thread for putting me on the right path.

Here's a video of my dad and I playing Tengen Tetris. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did making it.

This was a sexy episode, more, more, more please!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mr E posted:

I think I'm going to order a Framemeister next week from Solaris - where's the best place to get a Japanese SCART or Euro-Japanese converter for my SNES?

Get a JP21 to Euro Scart adapter and a Euro SCART cable from Retro Console Accessories.

Would not recommend official JP21 SCART cables since they are old as hell and maybe more trouble than they are worth.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Get a JP21 to Euro Scart adapter and a Euro SCART cable from Retro Console Accessories.

Would not recommend official JP21 SCART cables since they are old as hell and maybe more trouble than they are worth.

Personally I prefer Retro Gaming Cables but they're both ok shops. I do think RGC will ship faster though but verdict's out. I had a bad shipping issue in the past but that was because the webfront RCA had wasn't monitored. Their presentation seems to be of higher quality though in my opinion.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/micomsoft-framemeister-xrgb-mini-adapter--euroscart-with-sync-stripper.html

Retro Console Accessories

Retro Gaming Cables

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

Personally I prefer Retro Gaming Cables but they're both ok shops. I do think RGC will ship faster though but verdict's out. I had a bad shipping issue in the past but that was because the webfront RCA had wasn't monitored. Their presentation seems to be of higher quality though in my opinion.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/micomsoft-framemeister-xrgb-mini-adapter--euroscart-with-sync-stripper.html

Retro Console Accessories

Retro Gaming Cables

RCA hasn't done exposed resistors in a while.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

RCA hasn't done exposed resistors in a while.

Ah as I said, all up for debate however the only concern is the SCART to mini din-8 you linked does not have the LM1881N circuit in it. Personally it's worth it to start with that and if you end up with a cable with pin 8 unlinked question if it's worth investing in the other version. It solves way more problems than it creates. Of all my SCART cables I have only ran into this issue twice - with my Jaguar cable and my Kenzi unit for my Dreamcast. Kenzi was easily solved by running my own wire to pin 8 from the PSU while the Jaguar I just hacked the cable myself.

For those who do not know what the point of the LM1881N circuit is this chip will filter the sync signal which is necessary with some systems due to how fragile the xrgb-mini is with sync. Of my personal systems I know that the Genesis, Neo Geo and PC Engine seem to require this circuit or I don't get a picture.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 22, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

Ah as I said, all up for debate however the only concern is the SCART to mini din-8 you linked does not have the LM1881N circuit in it. Personally it's worth it to start with that and if you end up with a cable with pin 8 unlinked question if it's worth investing in the other version. It solves way more problems than it creates. Of all my SCART cables I have only ran into this issue twice - with my Jaguar cable and my Kenzi unit for my Dreamcast. Kenzi was easily solved by running my own wire to pin 8 from the PSU while the Jaguar I just hacked the cable myself.

For those who do not know what the point of the LM1881N circuit is this chip will filter the sync signal which is necessary with some systems due to how fragile the xrgb-mini is with sync. Of my personal systems I know that the Genesis, Neo Geo and PC Engine seem to require this circuit or I don't get a picture.

Yeah, my LM1881N circuit is built into my SCART switch and I can turn it off or on with a switch. :v:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Housh posted:

I suck at Tetris.

You could always give Hatris a try.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Housh posted:

I suck at Tetris.

Finally got my NES>15-pin controller adapter so hope to film Duck Hunt this weekend. :laugh:

This is the most fun Let's Play series.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'll admit, my eyes kind of glaze over when I read about engineering stuff, or anything involving personal modding. In the most dumbed-down terms, what combination of cable + screen would get RGB from my NTSC SNES? I always hear about SCART and PVM, but I look up PVM monitors and they don't even seem to have a plug for the SCART.

I also tend to see commodore monitors brought up when I research this stuff. I used to have one for my family's old Amiga 500, but that bit the dust a while ago and I think we threw it out. :( Years later I find out it is apparently the best retro monitor out there!! Or the preferred monitor of many enthusiasts, at least. I don't really remember what the connections on the back of it were like, but I don't think it involved SCART. I recall there being some weirdness with PAL/NTSC refresh rates with that Amiga though. The bottom of the screen in games was always cut off, and I've come to learn that the music I remember was actually all sped up from its original form... not sure if that was just due to a setting on the Amiga itself though.

Lots of talk about XRGB and Framemeister, but that's just for hooking up consoles to a large modern TV right? I'm not interested in doing that.

Ha, I probably shouldn't even be researching this now, as my wife wouldn't care for an extra screen setup crammed into our apartment. I could file the info away in my brain for a hypothetical future where we have a basement to work with... maybe pick up a 14" monitor on craigslist in the meantime and just hold on to it (if I come across one that fits the bill... which should only become more difficult the longer I wait!).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Minidust posted:

I'll admit, my eyes kind of glaze over when I read about engineering stuff, or anything involving personal modding. In the most dumbed-down terms, what combination of cable + screen would get RGB from my NTSC SNES? I always hear about SCART and PVM, but I look up PVM monitors and they don't even seem to have a plug for the SCART.

I also tend to see commodore monitors brought up when I research this stuff. I used to have one for my family's old Amiga 500, but that bit the dust a while ago and I think we threw it out. :( Years later I find out it is apparently the best retro monitor out there!! Or the preferred monitor of many enthusiasts, at least. I don't really remember what the connections on the back of it were like, but I don't think it involved SCART. I recall there being some weirdness with PAL/NTSC refresh rates with that Amiga though. The bottom of the screen in games was always cut off, and I've come to learn that the music I remember was actually all sped up from its original form... not sure if that was just due to a setting on the Amiga itself though.

Lots of talk about XRGB and Framemeister, but that's just for hooking up consoles to a large modern TV right? I'm not interested in doing that.

Ha, I probably shouldn't even be researching this now, as my wife wouldn't care for an extra screen setup crammed into our apartment. I could file the info away in my brain for a hypothetical future where we have a basement to work with... maybe pick up a 14" monitor on craigslist in the meantime and just hold on to it (if I come across one that fits the bill... which should only become more difficult the longer I wait!).

How about you list what you have now and then fill in the gaps. Likely without a PVM or XRGB you're looking at a s-video cable.

If you're wanting to purchase CRT just get a Sony trinitron of sorts, s-video and call it done.

If you're hooking up to a more modern tv that's where you fall into XRGB territory because they don't play very nicely with older technology.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

flyboi posted:

How about you list what you have now and then fill in the gaps. Likely without a PVM or XRGB you're looking at a s-video cable.

If you're wanting to purchase CRT just get a Sony trinitron of sorts, s-video and call it done.

If you're hooking up to a more modern tv that's where you fall into XRGB territory because they don't play very nicely with older technology.
Well it's a U.S. SNES that takes the standard proprietary Nintendo cable, that splits into red/white/yellow RCA jacks.
TV is a standard CRT that just has RCA inputs, but I'm taking that out of the equation. I've seen links here for purchasing SNES SCART cables (Japan = NTSC in this case I believe?)... so just wondering what kind of TV I could hook that up to. I get confused because I always see PVM suggested, but when I look at PVMs I see connections for Video Line A, Video Line B, and RGB/component, but nothing that actually looks like it takes an SCART.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

Well it's a U.S. SNES that takes the standard proprietary Nintendo cable, that splits into red/white/yellow RCA jacks.
TV is a standard CRT that just has RCA inputs, but I'm taking that out of the equation. I've seen links here for purchasing SNES SCART cables (Japan = NTSC in this case I believe?)... so just wondering what kind of TV I could hook that up to. I get confused because I always see PVM suggested, but when I look at PVMs I see connections for Video Line A, Video Line B, and RGB/component, but nothing that actually looks like it takes an SCART.

SCART is a European and Japanese connection standard which officially doesn't exist in North America and you basically never see it on consumer-level technology available here. Component (the green, red and blue RCA connectors) uses a similar standard quality-wise but it doesn't work quite the same way so some form of powered converter is required to go from RGB SCART to component. Many PVM's can take proper RGB but generally don't have actual SCART connectors, and need an adapter which splices off the SCART connector's pins and splits off into RGB BNC connectors.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PVMs don't take SCART, AFAIK. SCART is a European standard with a non-compatible implementation in Japan. All European CRTs produced in the 90's onwards use SCART. If there are CRTs with SCART support in America they would be a rather niche product -- assume that 99.9% of American TVs do not support SCART.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ah okay, so a situation where an SCART cable goes directly into a TV is quite rare then. So the chain would have to go: SNES -> Japan SCART cable -> specific adapter -> RGB-capable CRT from Craigslist or something. Possibly with some sort of SCART switch in there as well. Good to know, thanks! I'll stop searching for some holy grail TV that takes care of everything then, ha.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

Ah okay, so a situation where an SCART cable goes directly into a TV is quite rare then. So the chain would have to go: SNES -> Japan SCART cable -> specific adapter -> RGB-capable CRT from Craigslist or something. Possibly with some sort of SCART switch in there as well. Good to know, thanks! I'll stop searching for some holy grail TV that takes care of everything then, ha.

Yeah, something like that. The most common use case is going into an XRGB Framemeister or similar upscaler, which is basically a box which has tons of different inputs including SCART and converts it into something more common, most commonly now HDMI. These are useful for older consoles even when not using SCART because modern TV's frequently have issues dealing with the lower-resolution, often somewhat non-standard signals which older consoles put out. Often a signal won't at all, sometimes it works but the picture quality is worse than it should be, and/or there is too much lag for it to be usable.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Minidust posted:

Yes however on a CRT the benefits of RGB vs S-Video are honestly extremely negligible and is hampered by diminishing returns greatly. Unless there's an actual need or the connection is available by all means use it however unless you're extremely particular about your pixels just use s-video. Change the brightness on your tv and you won't see a difference.

The only reason why you see XRGB users go for SCART is because the plug is readily available and it makes more sense to use it as the scaler will work better with the cleaner signal but again, the difference is extremely small between the two connections. A very short and non-:awesome: tiering of connections:

HDMI/DVI - pro tier, digital, get off my lawn with your analog vinyl records
COMPONENT - highest of the analog connections in terms of resolution. can display up to 1080p however subsampling is used on the signal which can result in extremely minor color degredation
SCART - while synonymous with RGB actually supports any connection from composite video up to RGB. Can display up to a 480p signal if the display supports 30kHz sync. RGB has no subsampling which results in a "clean" signal as it is the straight R, G and B values from the display encoder
S-Video - Only supports 480i, a combination of Chroma (color) and Luma (brightness). The separation of the two signals provides a very sharp picture however colors can be brighter than actual values due to the Chroma signal requiring compression.
Composite - Lowest of the RCA connections, combination of Chroma and Luma. Combination of the two signals causes severe picture bleed and whatnot
RF - Really Fuckin crap

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 22, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Housh posted:

I suck at Tetris.

Very sexy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It just seems like that if you're willing to drop the money on a framemeister then you might as well as spend the extra cash to get outfitted for scart, and it's basically the best quality you can get out of the old systems (some may need mods too)

Framemeister is nice because I know I can have this working on basically any TV and unless hdmi becomes nonexistent, I could count on my framemeister for decades.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I finally broke down and bought an Everdrive 64. I didn't want to wait weeks for customs so I tried buying one from a Canadian site with the cic pre-installed. Even though I've got most of the N64 games I'll ever want to play, I got this thing to be able to play wild mods like the Goldeneye Peach's Castle extravaganza. Are there any other cool deals I need to know about?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I finally broke down and bought an Everdrive 64. I didn't want to wait weeks for customs so I tried buying one from a Canadian site with the cic pre-installed. Even though I've got most of the N64 games I'll ever want to play, I got this thing to be able to play wild mods like the Goldeneye Peach's Castle extravaganza. Are there any other cool deals I need to know about?

Bear in mind:

- Any European game or hack thereof probably won't work as it tries to output in PAL, unless you hack the ROM to output in NTSC (which isn't trivial and unfortunately most tools are more specialized at going the other way, from NTSC to PAL)
- Super Mario 64 ROMhacks won't work because they rely on stuff which only emulators can do.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tyson Tomko posted:

You could always give Hatris a try.

Holy crap! I had no idea this exists. Hahaha!

the wizards beard posted:

This is the most fun Let's Play series.
Thank you. I'll tell Baba. :3:

Tyson Tomko posted:

Mind I ask which Canadian site you got it from? That's the last Everdrive I need. I immediately ordered the Mega Everdrive after playing my old Sega games on the Framemeister. Skitchin' and Jammit look and sound as hilarious as ever. I ordered it from Retrogate Store since I had no issues getting my N8 from them. I got the cables for my Genesis from Retro Gaming Cables. I straight up had no clue what to get and emailed the guy. He immediately replied back telling me what I need for my setup and I was surprised how fast it got here from the UK.

I can't stress how pleased I am with the PS2 through component to the Framemeister. Def Jam Fight for NY in HD is something to be seen. I'm eventually going to get my Twin Famicom RGB modded. I haven't tested my 64 with the Framemeister yet but Mario looked really good through S-Video hooked directly into my HDTV. For RGB I guess I gotta see if my 64 can even be modded. It's a launch North American.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Minidust posted:

As an example, if I were you here's how I would do it:

SNES=>This SCART cable=>This SCART to BNC adapter=>Sony PVM off Craigslist (& cheap PC speakers)

Also, we often don't recommend "Japanese SCART cables" because they're harder to find. They're technically called RGB21 or JP21 cables (or some variant of that) and they're just like SCART cables except the pins are arranged differently. Best to just stick with SCART cables.

Also also, it's important to remember that SCART is the cable and RGB is the video signal. SCART can actually cary other video signals and RGB can be carried over different cables like BNC cables. SCART cables are just the easiest way to get RGB video out of a game console.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 22, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

e: Nevermind. you said you need speakers for a PVM.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Edit: ^ :)

Heran Bago posted:

Do you need external speakers for a PVM?

It varies. I've seen some with no speakers, some with a single mono speaker and audio passthrough, and some with full stereo speakers. I guess the takeaway is that many PVMs may have very poor speakers or none at all so maybe plan for that.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

Yes however on a CRT the benefits of RGB vs S-Video are honestly extremely negligible

I see a huge difference between RGB and S-Video on my Trinitron Wega (may be due to it being an aperture grille display), fwiw. I'm not a crazy videophile.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I loved Playstation Underground at the time. My favourite one was the one that had the Net Yaroze demos on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Code Jockey posted:

Former SA LPer raocow is actually LPing SOTN right now on YouTube emulating the PSP port with a new translation that I guess was requested to him since I guess that version fixes some other stuff as well. I was sad to see that they totally rewrote the intro scene between Dracula and Richter, and didn't even bother to try to at least make it somewhat cheesy like the original.

At least it seems like they kept most/all of the music, including one of the most :rock: tracks in video game history.

• Locked thread