Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I usually hate case chat, but I've been thinking about getting one for my 6 as it's just too sippery. However, I have these Belkin docks that I use to sync it with my computer. I bought a case on Amazon and returned it because it wouldn't let it dock properly. (Also I have these friction stands that the case wouldn't cling to as well, but that's minor compared to needing to take the case off to sync it twice a day). My boss had a case that the bottom 1/2" just slipped off to let it dock, but I can't find one easily on Amazon with that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

IUG posted:

I usually hate case chat, but I've been thinking about getting one for my 6 as it's just too sippery. However, I have these Belkin docks that I use to sync it with my computer. I bought a case on Amazon and returned it because it wouldn't let it dock properly. (Also I have these friction stands that the case wouldn't cling to as well, but that's minor compared to needing to take the case off to sync it twice a day). My boss had a case that the bottom 1/2" just slipped off to let it dock, but I can't find one easily on Amazon with that feature.

Was it Incase? Incase is the only case manufacturer I can think of that still does this.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bottom Liner posted:

I love the slim Spigen case. Had mine on the 6+ since day one and it's perfect.

Do cases in general protect the front at all? I'm reading some reviews of Spigen cases and people say they have great protection for the back but the front is lacking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No, the edges are pretty much flush with the front glass. I got the tempered glass screen protector from Tech Armor and it's a great combo with the slim Spigen.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Dream of Janney posted:

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 6 Plus today, and since I can't find a post on it in the thread, what are the generally recommended cases? Obviously want protection, but looking to minimize bulk too.

EDIT: After digging around here a little, it would seem some variation of a Spigen case, or the Apple leather case are pretty recommended. I'm pretty good about not dropping it, so I'd say grip/lack of thickness takes a slight edge over military-grade protection.

The Apple leather case is really nice and has a bit of a lip at the front so you can set it screen-side down without the screen touching the surface. The leather adds just the right about of grip and the whole thing adds about 2 mm of thickness.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I love the Apple leather case on my 6 Plus as well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Leather 6 casehaver here and I love it. Had a Spigen case before it and it felt too bulky. I'd prefer to go caseless but if I did, the phone was like a bar of soap. The Apple leather case is the perfect compromise.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Also using the leather case on the regular 6 because it was just too darn slippery. I used to go caseless on all my phones. It's slim enough to do the job and doesn't look ugly.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Another vote for the leather case.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I've gone caseless my entire iPhone career but could use an extra bit of grip so I'll probably try out an Apple leather case. Wish visually it was more similar to the old 5 cases though, the grain of the leather looks lower quality but that's pretty nitpicky.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got the lifeproof for iphone6 because I put my phone in my pocket when I wade through saltwater. The phone is still thinner and lighter than my old iphone4, but it makes the 6 about as bulky as the 6+ (with no case). I also have an Incipio case of some sort which is great for getting in and out of pockets, but it's just as slippery as the phone with no case.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Thule is making cases for the iPhone 6 (not sure about the 6+), and I can confirm they are very nice. Don't add too much bulk but are very solid and protect well.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I have a broken 5s with an app on it that I really want to get at. Basically, I'm logged into an online account on that app, and nowhere else, and I can't remember the email I used to set up the account in order to recover it.

The screen is broken but the phone clearly has something going on because it will still vibrate when the mute button is toggled and so on.

I tried backing it up to my new phone and it seemed like it backed up everything onto my laptop, but I was unable to transfer anything to the new phone. I don't know why. I had to set it up as a new phone. The apps did transfer but none of the information stored in the apps went with them, and I lost all my pictures and video and contacts, etc.

Is there any way to access the apps by hooking the phone up to a computer? Bypass the screen? Or should I look into buying a replacement screen?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I might be wrong, but there's bound to be a way to jailbreak that doesn't involve looking at the screen that you can also use to pull apps from the phone.

If it's just the app's DATA you want before re-downloading the app on a new phone, use iFunBox (Win/Mac software) to look through your phone's file system and you can pull any app data from there. I've used that to back up data in the past.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
As far as passworded data and stuff, they're supposed to be backed up if you choose to encrypt the backup. Sometimes an app will store data in a way that doesn't get backed up though, you'd probably need one of the apps mentioned above for that.

For mirroring the screen there's two ways off the top of my head but they require hardware, specifically either AppleTV or a Mac running Yosemite. AppleTV route might be a pain on there though cause you gotta swipe up for control center, tap the AirPlay button, and select the AppleTV. On the Mac you'd connect the phone with USB cable, open up QuickTime Player, then do "new movie recording", and the iPhone shows up as a live source. Course control wise either way you still have to tap the iPhone screen itself, but at least you'd know what's on screen.

japtor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 21, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I have a broken 5s with an app on it that I really want to get at. Basically, I'm logged into an online account on that app, and nowhere else, and I can't remember the email I used to set up the account in order to recover it.

The screen is broken but the phone clearly has something going on because it will still vibrate when the mute button is toggled and so on.

I tried backing it up to my new phone and it seemed like it backed up everything onto my laptop, but I was unable to transfer anything to the new phone. I don't know why. I had to set it up as a new phone. The apps did transfer but none of the information stored in the apps went with them, and I lost all my pictures and video and contacts, etc.

Is there any way to access the apps by hooking the phone up to a computer? Bypass the screen? Or should I look into buying a replacement screen?

If you're on Windows, you can use AirParrot and AirPlay from your phone to your desktop.

If you're on OS X, you can use AirServer to do the same thing.

Alternatively, if you're on OS X, you can use Quicktime to view the screen.
http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/record-iphone-screen-quicktime/

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, I don't know what exactly counts as "data" from the app - I just want to be able to open it, and look at my login information, so I can figure out what email address I made up when I registered the account and get the password reset.

Airparrot looks like it might do the trick - you really don't have to do anything on the phone itself to manipulate the apps, or even set it up? Does it just recognize the phone automatically somehow? And yeah, I just have a rather old netbook, iphone, and ipad.

I thought of hooking the phone up to the TV via an HDMI but then I realized I don't have like a remote control or anything to actually open the app with.

Thanks for the help!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, dilemma time for me.

My work has offered the employees a mobile phone for private (semi) private use. What we can chose between is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife already got a Note 3, and I do like the size of it - as far as I can see, boththe phones offered from work are roughly the same size.

So, what should I chose?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

My work has offered the employees a mobile phone for private (semi) private use. What we can chose between is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or a iPhone 6 Plus.

My wife already got a Note 3, and I do like the size of it - as far as I can see, boththe phones offered from work are roughly the same size.

So, what should I chose?

Are you heavily invested in the android ecosystem? Get the android. Are you invested in Apple (do you have a MacBook/iPad/whatever?) get the iPhone.

Benchmarks and reviews pull toward the iPhone for lots of reasons, but as a user you would be happiest with whatever you're familiar with or invested in. If you're totally agnostic to ecosystems, then most reviewers and people in this thread will obviously recommend the iPhone. It's a premium device.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IUG posted:

Search for "slider" cases for two-piece designs like that.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

tuyop posted:

Are you heavily invested in the android ecosystem? Get the android. Are you invested in Apple (do you have a MacBook/iPad/whatever?) get the iPhone.

Benchmarks and reviews pull toward the iPhone for lots of reasons, but as a user you would be happiest with whatever you're familiar with or invested in. If you're totally agnostic to ecosystems, then most reviewers and people in this thread will obviously recommend the iPhone. It's a premium device.

Well, I am using a MacBook Air at home - only using Google Calendar as my calendar, but I'm sure that can be synced with iOS, so that shouldn't be a problem.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

So, what should I chose?

Due to some poor life choices, I had been using an Android phone (LG G3) since last July. Get the iPhone 6+, I just switched back to a 6 this week and the difference in user experience is large.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kidney Stone posted:

Well, I am using a MacBook Air at home - only using Google Calendar as my calendar, but I'm sure that can be synced with iOS, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You'll see a lot of benefits (messaging from computer, handoff, seamless file transfer with airdrop, etc) if you get the iPhone. Macs and iPhones play well together. And google apps and integration work fine on iPhones except for push from gmail and Google now.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I don't know how you all use the iPhone 6+. Isn't is monstrously large? It seems like it would always stay noticeable in your pocket.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Yeah, I don't know what exactly counts as "data" from the app - I just want to be able to open it, and look at my login information, so I can figure out what email address I made up when I registered the account and get the password reset.

Airparrot looks like it might do the trick - you really don't have to do anything on the phone itself to manipulate the apps, or even set it up? Does it just recognize the phone automatically somehow? And yeah, I just have a rather old netbook, iphone, and ipad.

I thought of hooking the phone up to the TV via an HDMI but then I realized I don't have like a remote control or anything to actually open the app with.

Thanks for the help!
In this case you'd use AirParrot to act as an AirPlay receiver. It's the same deal as I mentioned with AirPlay to AppleTV (slide up to use control center and pick device), so at least the touch part of the screen needs to work. Actually all the screen mirroring methods need the touch part to work now that I think about it, so if that doesn't work at all you're boned as far as that stuff. Maybe a ghetto (i.e. cheap) screen replacement could work?

If you just need the email you might be able to get it from one of the app data things. You'd basically go into your phone through the desktop app, look for your app on the phone and download all the data in there. Hopefully your email would be in one of its preference files or something inside (although that seems like bad data security practice, so I'm not sure how likely it'd be in this case).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Michael Scott posted:

I don't know how you all use the iPhone 6+. Isn't is monstrously large? It seems like it would always stay noticeable in your pocket.

Yeah, people have different preferences or something. IDGI

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

So, what should I chose?

One of the biggest things that keeps me in the iOS ecosystem, more so than the fact that I use Apple computers, is that I've spent however much money on apps for the iOS system already. I'm curious about Android, but I can't see myself moving to that platform given that fact. So I'm not sure where you fall with that, but that could help you make a decision between the two phones.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

So, what should I chose?

As a poster in the iPhone thread in which you posted, I recommend the iPhone.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I switched back to iOS for the iPhone 6. Android has come a long way and the OS is pretty great now, but on average Android apps are steaming poo poo compared to iOS versions or equivalents.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

So, dilemma time for me.

So, what should I chose?

Why does your work require a ginormophone?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

big business, big phone

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

big business, big phone

Executives will turn on anyone in meetings if they detect weakness or a tinyphone.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Doesn't require a ginormophone, but we've got a yearly budget which needs to be used - if not, we'll get cut with the same amount in the new financial year.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

If you're just trying to spend a lot of money and don't want a huge phone, why not just get a 128gb regular iphone 6?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kidney Stone posted:

Doesn't require a ginormophone, but we've got a yearly budget which needs to be used - if not, we'll get cut with the same amount in the new financial year.

Those are just bizarre choices since they're both like the biggest phones you can get. If it was solely a budget issue why not just give all the higher ups MacBooks, iPads, and their choice of 128gb Apple phones?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

tuyop posted:

Those are just bizarre choices since they're both like the biggest phones you can get. If it was solely a budget issue why not just give all the higher ups MacBooks, iPads, and their choice of 128gb Apple phones?

My job gave me all of these things + a retina 5k heh

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kidney Stone posted:

Do you work for the government?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Bouchacha posted:

Do you work for the government?

Indeed I do - a small branch of the Danish one, 10 people.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So if you're doing an out-of-warranty swap do you need to set up an appointment or can just any of the regular blue shirt nerds take care of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

Sobriquet posted:

I switched back to iOS for the iPhone 6. Android has come a long way and the OS is pretty great now, but on average Android apps are steaming poo poo compared to iOS versions or equivalents.

THIS. I just test drove a Note 4 for the last 27 days and I couldn't wait to get back to my iPhone 6. While the Note itself ran fine,(size wise it was too large for my tastes) the apps are lovely. Nearly all of my normal apps were full of ads and ran like poo poo on Android.