Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 in my setup for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I'm deeply satisfied by using extremely intrusive HUD apps to get that information. If someone told me they could put all of my dashboard info in my windshield like I was a fighter pilot, I would totally do that (yes, I know there are actual cars that have this, but they are out of my price range and taste).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Someone needs to host a race series with these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z_JE3rlBQ

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Assetto Corsa doesn't have rolling starts? Seems like a really odd omission.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

holocaust bloopers posted:

Assetto Corsa doesn't have rolling starts? Seems like a really odd omission.

Isn't rolling starts more of an oval racing thing?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Torabi posted:

Not really.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Torabi posted:

Endurance racing/sports car racing uses it as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This is slightly off topic. I'm curious about the difference in qualifying lap times versus race lap times. Is there a site that has info regarding those?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

This is slightly off topic. I'm curious about the difference in qualifying lap times versus race lap times. Is there a site that has info regarding those?

It depends on what you're talking about, I guess. Are you talking about the actual times themselves and how they compare, or are you looking for "how does the driver drive differently"? And also do you mean in video games, or in real life?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

pik_d posted:

It depends on what you're talking about, I guess. Are you talking about the actual times themselves and how they compare, or are you looking for "how does the driver drive differently"? And also do you mean in video games, or in real life?

Yea race pace in real life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Qualifying times involve going as fast as you possibly can. Taking risks that you normally wouldn't take to get the best time.

Race pace changes depending on what the current situation is. Sometimes it can be faster than qualifying. If you have a large gap behind you, you'll drive slower to play it safe and finish the race. If you're fighting for position, you can use draft and go faster than normal. It's a double edged sword as if you are taking corners two wide, you can end up going slower.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yea race pace in real life.

For F1 at least, Wikipedia has all that information on the individual race pages. For example here is the most recent race. Pole position was about 4 seconds faster than the race time.

It used to be a lot smaller before the rules changed to ban refueling. If you go back to the same race in 2009, the last season before the refueling ban, the race lap is actually faster than pole position.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
poo poo that's wild.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With current f1, you are running qualy at full power with no fuel. By the end of the race when you have that fuel level again, you've turned down the power to make it to the end of the race.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What book were you guys recommending regarding driving technique stuff?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Going Faster is good, I'm currently working my way through it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

What book were you guys recommending regarding driving technique stuff?

Going Faster.

E: beaten like a red-headed stepchild. I need to get my hands on a copy myself.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Copy ordered. Thanks.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha owned Manitobans can't drive for poo poo, enjoy your worthless book.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EvilJoven posted:

Haha owned Manitobans can't drive for poo poo, enjoy your worthless book.

I'm not from, nor have ever been to, Manitoba.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

I'm not from, nor have ever been to, Manitoba.

An even more worthless book then. :v:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Any one have luck with fixing CLubsport V1s? My gas and clutch spike and never return to 0 percent so I think it's a potentiometer issue. I'm tempted to gut the whole thing and put custom work in it but never sure what to do.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Any one have luck with fixing CLubsport V1s? My gas and clutch spike and never return to 0 percent so I think it's a potentiometer issue. I'm tempted to gut the whole thing and put custom work in it but never sure what to do.

I have the reverse issue with my CSRs, they don't reach 100% for gas or clutch. That was an easy temp fix, just recalibrated all my sims to 85% instead, but I'd like them to function properly. I did a bit of research before :effort: but I didn't really find anything that pointed to a clear solution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only thing that could go wrong is the potentiometers. Replace them and you should be fine. Unless you did something and they are misaligned. If that's even possible.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ziploc posted:

So will existing customers get a steam version?

I finally set some proper FOV settings in my sims last night. But that meant not being able to see the dash through the wheel anymore. Enter Nexus4, a piece of steel, and some velcro.

Using SLI-Pro with the Fanaleds for mysetup.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I took mine apart to clean them after my accelerator would often not go to 100%. I found the main issue was loose parts!

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 30, 2015

simble
May 11, 2004

+1 on the loose parts. I have the v2's and my gas pedal would sometimes only go to 50% when applying full throttle. The fix was literally replugging in all of the pedals on the logic board.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Project Cars is a lot of fun to play and the physics feel great to me but I am not a sim nut like everyone else in the thread. I just wish the career's didn't get reset every day. I was doing great in Formula Rookie and then it's gone when they upload the next day's build.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Well tightened everything and that solved most of my troubles! Thanks for the suggestions.

However my Porsche GT2 wheel is acting up. In iRacing, midway into a turn, the wheel will lose FFB and default the steering position back straight in-game, while my wheel is still turned in reality. Thoughts? It does connect/reconnect noise a lot from time to time.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Well tightened everything and that solved most of my troubles! Thanks for the suggestions.

However my Porsche GT2 wheel is acting up. In iRacing, midway into a turn, the wheel will lose FFB and default the steering position back straight in-game, while my wheel is still turned in reality. Thoughts? It does connect/reconnect noise a lot from time to time.

Only thing I can think of is to verify that everything's plugged in as tightly as can be. I've had that issue briefly where my power adapter on my G27 was teetering on the edge of connectivity. Can you recreate the disconnect/reconnect chime when not playing a game, by jiggling cables?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It could be the code wheel going out and sending false signals to cause the wheel to just say gently caress it and reboot.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Ziploc posted:

It could be the code wheel going out and sending false signals to cause the wheel to just say gently caress it and reboot.

I think it might be that, when the issue happens, there's no connect/reconnect noise, and the display info on the wheel (iRacing will display shift numbers) will stay frozen. I'm tempted to take it apart and re-check/tighten poo poo in it/

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

http://gfycat.com/RareOffensiveCavy

This is a gif.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Project CARS looks so loving promising. So much flexibility without needing to grind for cash or unlocks. That owns. The ps4 version is catching poo poo for not being a graphical tour de force like Driveclub. Still looks great though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Project CARS looks so loving promising. So much flexibility without needing to grind for cash or unlocks. That owns. The ps4 version is catching poo poo for not being a graphical tour de force like Driveclub. Still looks great though.

It doesn't have DriveClubs amazing weather effects, but it still looks beautiful, and is very realistic. I've been playing the closed beta test which is very close to the retail release and it's a rock solid sim now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I've been posting a lot in the NeoGaf PCars threads and people call it ugly and bad looking because it's not as great as Driveclub. Comparing a 30 fps arcade game to a 60 fps sim is just silly.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Visual tradeoffs for dynamic lighting and weather is alright with me. Forza feels lifeless.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It doesn't have DriveClubs amazing weather effects, but it still looks beautiful, and is very realistic. I've been playing the closed beta test which is very close to the retail release and it's a rock solid sim now.

My favorite car ever in any game is the Formula C. Driving that car in any condition on any track is just mind blowing. I don't think I am a good enough driver to do the same thing with the Formula A. Just pushing yourself and the car to the limits feels amazing to play because the physics feel just right. I just wishes the career mode races were longer. When I set my race length to 100% I expect to be driving for hours not 11 laps in 15-20 minutes. Thankfully custom races let you get the full experience with practices, qualifying, warm up, and very long races. I guess it was a compromise between authentic and what most people are willing to put into a single race in career mode.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

My favorite car ever in any game is the Formula C. Driving that car in any condition on any track is just mind blowing. I don't think I am a good enough driver to do the same thing with the Formula A. Just pushing yourself and the car to the limits feels amazing to play because the physics feel just right. I just wishes the career mode races were longer. When I set my race length to 100% I expect to be driving for hours not 11 laps in 15-20 minutes. Thankfully custom races let you get the full experience with practices, qualifying, warm up, and very long races. I guess it was a compromise between authentic and what most people are willing to put into a single race in career mode.

The only thing i'm worried about is the PS4 version wont have the 32 player races that the PC version has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I thought they were confirmed to have that many on PS4 and even more than that on PC?

Unless you mean online races?

• Locked thread