Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

Me, I'm still hoping for a PS4 DWG game. Still mad I missed out on Reborn.

Honestly you're not missing much.

If they do make a new DWG, I just want at least one more G Gundam suit. Schwartz has been in two games now and I think he's the only playable person in DWGR who doesn't have an in game suit that he has actually piloted in a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I want the ez-8 and the Alex since they are cool and never seem to get a fair shake in anything ever.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Enjoy this Samurai Warriors 4-2 footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h__RRYo-HY

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The GIG posted:

I want the ez-8 and the Alex since they are cool and never seem to get a fair shake in anything ever.

As long as the Ez8's gimmick is to summon a building to slide down for its Musou.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Someone mentioned earlier that Samurai Warriors 4-2 is "bullshit" (I guess for existing or something?) Can someone explain what the problem might be? I'm not a big follower of the franchise--I haven't actually played a DW style game since...5, I believe.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I miss how it actually mattered in 5:Empires where your officers were stationed. In 7:E there's no incentive to not just play your main character and have all your favorite buddies tagging along in every battle, back in 5 I had to actually fight with whatever guys were stationed in the province I was defending or attacking from. Sure the menus for moving officers were a pain, but if they just implemented a sort of drag-and-drop system it would be a breeze even with a controller.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Scyther posted:

I miss how it actually mattered in 5:Empires where your officers were stationed. In 7:E there's no incentive to not just play your main character and have all your favorite buddies tagging along in every battle, back in 5 I had to actually fight with whatever guys were stationed in the province I was defending or attacking from. Sure the menus for moving officers were a pain, but if they just implemented a sort of drag-and-drop system it would be a breeze even with a controller.

I agree. Having to station officers in territory meant you couldn't just roll with your A Team for every battle. Often, you'd be forced to use some scrubs to defend a crucial location, or have a secondary army invade a front. It meant you'd actually have a reason to play as a Generic officer, and you also had to raise everyone's levels fairly equally so they wouldn't fall behind. Conversely, in 6E and 7E there's literally no reason not to use the same 8 officers every time, unless you want to mix things up for variety.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That does sound like the better idea, having to actually station units and use those units if their station is attacked. I mean it seems you can collect dozens if not hundreds of officers, so having a reason to use them seems important.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Lotish posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Samurai Warriors 4-2 is "bullshit" (I guess for existing or something?) Can someone explain what the problem might be? I'm not a big follower of the franchise--I haven't actually played a DW style game since...5, I believe.

The reason why it's 4-2 and not a Xtreme Legends style expansion pack is because Capcom claims that they have a patent on disc-based expansion packs for console games and is suing Koei Tecmo as a result. That's probably where the bullshit is coming from.

Either that, or it's ye olde "all Musou games are the same" or "commercial re-releases of videogames suck, esp. Japanese ones" arguments.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi screenshots and preview.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Love Ashikaga's face on the left.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I assume there's zero chance of us getting SB4 right

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A Capcom guy said that non-Japanese fans had their chance (with Sengoku BASARA 3: Samurai Heroes) and they blew it, so Capcom won't try again.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I assume there's zero chance of us getting SB4 right

In English? Yeah. However, if you have a Japanese PSN account you can still buy the game digitally in Japanese or import it.

These posts from Raindrops' blog have a lot of translated information about Sumeragi if anyone's interested:

http://www.raindropsanddaydreams.co.uk/2015/01/sengoku-basara-4-sumeragi-is-announced.html
http://www.raindropsanddaydreams.co.uk/2015/01/news-weekly-famitsu-5th-february-2015.html

I'm glad the playable character numbers have been clarified - it's almost certain now that all the previous NPCs from SB4 will be turned playable again. I was worried that two characters might have been left out but now I know it's very likely I'll get to play Shingen, Kenshin and Matsu again so I'm happy. :)

I really don't know what to think about Sen no Rikyu. I can only hope that noted teapot lover Matsunaga Hisahide gets some interaction with him/them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really, really don't think SB4 is very good and doubt this one will be either. It's just too ridiculously inward focused and free of connections to anything real.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Chortles posted:

A Capcom guy said that non-Japanese fans had their chance (with Sengoku BASARA 3: Samurai Heroes) and they blew it, so Capcom won't try again.

I don't think the anime was particularly popular either in the West. Given how important merch and spinoffs are these days, I can imagine that didn't help matters much either. Though, for what it's worth, I didn't really get into SB3 much either. Neither did the other Musou fans I know. Conformation bias, maybe, but it seems a common opinion.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I got my Sengoku Basara 3 platinum after exactly 300 hours of toil. The save file says I'm only 89% complete the game. The save file can go gently caress itself.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
In DW8:XL I was doing an "Other" Story mode mission where Dong Zhuo (& Wu) fights Yuan Shao (& Shu + Wei) at Huluo Gate.

Late in the battle Lu Bu showed up as an enemy. I got him down to a sliver of health, but he was flung away. Before I could close in again, Han Dang appeared and got the killing blow.

I had forgotten he was even in the mission. :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Largepotato posted:

Han Dang appeared and ....

I had forgotten

:mmmhmm:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's amazing how often allied officers will seem to stand around doing nothing until it's time to land the kill steal.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
I've been playing some Hyrule Warriors and Dynasty Warriors: Next and have gotten the musou itch that needs to be scratched. EB Games here in Australia is doing a buy 1 get 1 free sale and I want to buy a Gundam version as well as a Dynasty Warriors game. For the Gundam games, I have the choice of Gundam 3 or Reborn and for the Dynasty Warriors games it looks like my choice is between DW 8, DW 7 Xtreme Legends and DW Strikeforce. So my question is, which ones should I get?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DW 8 definitely, the choice between Gundam ones is harder. I'd go with Reborn for more suits and a proper story mode, it's super duper easy though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Food Guy posted:

I've been playing some Hyrule Warriors and Dynasty Warriors: Next and have gotten the musou itch that needs to be scratched. EB Games here in Australia is doing a buy 1 get 1 free sale and I want to buy a Gundam version as well as a Dynasty Warriors game. For the Gundam games, I have the choice of Gundam 3 or Reborn and for the Dynasty Warriors games it looks like my choice is between DW 8, DW 7 Xtreme Legends and DW Strikeforce. So my question is, which ones should I get?

Either Gunam game will do you fine. Reborn has more characters and suits available, but they're both solid games. DW7 Xtreme is an add-on pack for DW7 vanilla, as are all the Xtreme Legends games, so if you don't have the base game, you can ignore it. Strikeforce is a weird offshoot of the series and a definite love/hate it kind of game. DW8 will give you all you're looking for, though it plays significantly differently to HW and Next. Either way, that's your best bet.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I think Reborn doesn't play as well as 3, for what it's worth.

So is anybody else not finding DW8: Empires on the ps3 store like was supposed to happen?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Raku posted:

I think Reborn doesn't play as well as 3, for what it's worth.

So is anybody else not finding DW8: Empires on the ps3 store like was supposed to happen?

It got delayed until late Feb, for reasons unknown :(

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Brony Hunter posted:

It got delayed until late Feb, for reasons unknown :(

*sighs*

*buys Hyrule Warriors*

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Koei did a live demo of the new Bladestorm's expanded character creator. As I recall, the original really only let you pick, like, a head out of a small initial selection and one of two or three voices. Those are still there, but there are so many things to tweak it's hilarious. I especially like how each gender has over 100 hair cuts. It's crazy. Also you can make things that look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqzOYTnA1Uc

The video is otherwise pretty dry and has zero commentary; it's just for looking at what they've done to expand the character creator.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 31, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am now more excited for Bladestorm than I was Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I said I wouldn't buy it until cheap unless it had a bunch more to it than the original game but it's starting to look like it might and I'm wavering so very much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Square-Enix on bringing Dragon Quest Heroes overseas.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I know the DQ brand is only moderately successful on mobile now but please please please let this happen here... :pray:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just maxed out Kotaro's friendship level and didn't get his weapon unlock. In fact I looked in the editor and there wasn't even a slot for where Kotaro's weapon should have been. What gives?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SirPhoebos posted:

I just maxed out Kotaro's friendship level and didn't get his weapon unlock. In fact I looked in the editor and there wasn't even a slot for where Kotaro's weapon should have been. What gives?

If it's like Samurai Warriors Chronicles, your edit character can't use Kotaro's weapon.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Only Kotaro is allowed to do sick rear end high fives.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Sengoku Basara being unreal is the best part about it. And the mechanical design for characters is better than DW imo.

But i mean where else were they going to go? A wacky life sim about Ieyasu trying to keep the surviving daimyo from screwing up Edo? I mean that sounds amazing...but I'd rather the ghost of Nobunaga threaten Japan with a demon powered satellite cannon, or whatever Capcom cooks up or something.

When's Orochi 4????

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Sengoku Basara being unreal is the best part about it. And the mechanical design for characters is better than DW imo.

But i mean where else were they going to go? A wacky life sim about Ieyasu trying to keep the surviving daimyo from screwing up Edo? I mean that sounds amazing...but I'd rather the ghost of Nobunaga threaten Japan with a demon powered satellite cannon, or whatever Capcom cooks up or something.

When's Orochi 4????
I guess I agree. Since they have completely abandoned the historical narrative other than a few set character rivalries here and there, they might as well go ALL the way over, rather than just kind of mucking around like now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Basara 4 Sumeragi trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHCgRR6dJ0A

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Well ok then.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So what are the odds any of these titles will be coming to PC? If my steam friends list is any indicator, the Dynasty Warriors 8 port did pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Has anyone been watching the Sengoku Musou anime? I can't figure out why they made it. It is a bad advertisement for the games. It skips a lot of the best characters since it starts with Hideyoshi's death. It focuses on the Sanada brothers like 4, but it looks like their storyline will be wrapped up less than halfway through the season. The Ii guy that is new in 4-2 was in like 2 minutes of episode 4.