Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

TwoPair posted:

The reason people like Batman vs. Superman fights is because, even though we know Lex Luthor is a villain, deep down we are all more like Lex than we are like Superman and we just want to see the alien get beaten by our obvious human superiority. U.S.A.! U.S.A! HUMANS! HUMANS!

Anyway, here's another fight from the same issue of Injustice.

Injustice has given us the best Harley Quinn in years, not least because she doesn't dress like one of the Suicide Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

TwoPair posted:

The reason people like Batman vs. Superman fights is because, even though we know Lex Luthor is a villain, deep down we are all more like Lex than we are like Superman and we just want to see the alien get beaten by our obvious human superiority. U.S.A.! U.S.A! HUMANS! HUMANS!

To be fair Shazam is literally a child so being gullible actually makes a little bit of sense.

She also tore off Lobo's head in the annual. He got better of course, then she manipulated him into thinking that he had low self esteem and to fix that best thing to do would be to go to Apokolips and pick a fight with Darksyde.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

David D. Davidson posted:

She also tore off Lobo's head in the annual. He got better of course, then she manipulated him into thinking that he had low self esteem and to fix that best thing to do would be to go to Apokolips and pick a fight with Darksyde.

I don't think that was manipulation, it was a correct assessment of how Lobo felt about being emasculated and terrorized by No-Bullshit Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GrandpaPants posted:

Wisdom of Solomon definitely wasn't there when he (game plot spoiler) questioned Superman's methods. Also I like how the sound effect is THOOM.

I'm suddenly sad that the on panel folly was THOOM, while Harley said Boom.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Wait, what's the trick? That he caught something that was thrown at him? Is he gullible for having reflexes?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Injustice has given us the best Harley Quinn in years, not least because she doesn't dress like one of the Suicide Girls.

One of the neat things is that she actually did dress as a Suicide Girl because that's what she looks like in the game. And it looks dumb in comic form. So they had a scene to explain why she went back to her classic attire that actually made sense and pushed the story forward.

Crowetron posted:

Wait, what's the trick? That he caught something that was thrown at him? Is he gullible for having reflexes?

BOOM!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That might come as a surprise, but hammers normally don't explode.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

e X posted:

That might come as a surprise, but hammers normally don't explode.

My life is a lie

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Probably the first time since the original cartoon as a kid that I've liked Harley Quinn. I barely remember her from the game, though, or what her involvement is in the story.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AdjectiveNoun posted:

That sounds like a hell of a lot of projection, honestly. The Batman>Superman idea is much more easily explained, and has been done so already on this page.

It's gonna be hell to find now that "Batman vs Superman" is a search term for a movie, but a year or two ago someone wrote an article about this and discovered that in actuality, most on-panel Bats/Supes fights are less "Batman totally pwns Superloser" and more "Batman uses a rare/one-shot advantage to hang in there until Superman comes to his senses, and usually admits that it was a stalling tactic at best". It's pretty much DKR alone (and that obnoxious "Batman with preptime > ANYBODY" meme) that's given everyone the perception that Bruce has a snowball's chance in hell of doing any serious damage to Clark.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Even DKR involved a significantly weakened Superman and Bruce essentially counting on him holding back long enough for the Kryptonite gas arrow to come into play.

I try to forget the sequel.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

McSpanky posted:

It's gonna be hell to find now that "Batman vs Superman" is a search term for a movie, but a year or two ago someone wrote an article about this and discovered that in actuality, most on-panel Bats/Supes fights are less "Batman totally pwns Superloser" and more "Batman uses a rare/one-shot advantage to hang in there until Superman comes to his senses, and usually admits that it was a stalling tactic at best". It's pretty much DKR alone (and that obnoxious "Batman with preptime > ANYBODY" meme) that's given everyone the perception that Bruce has a snowball's chance in hell of doing any serious damage to Clark.

In fact, the last, like, 5 times they've come to blows I seem to recall Superman coming out on top in at least 4 of those.

In Hush, Superman is controlled by Poison Ivy. Batman stalls him, was 2 seconds from being flattened with a car before Superman comes to his senses.

In Batman & Superman Pre-52, a Future Superman materialises in the Batcave and batman was, again, 2 seconds from being flattened with a car, this time the batmobile, before he gets saved by someone.

In a later issue of Batman & Superman, Batman, mindcontrolled by an alien parasite that also gives him superstrength and flight, still loses against Superman.

In their first meeting in the new 52, Superman beat batman pretty easily.

In Injustice, their first bout resulted in him getting his back broken before being saved by Alfred.

In Snyders Batman, Batman took out a joker controlled Superman with a mechsuit with mini-red sun gloves and kryptonite chewing gum (yes, really). Though the Jury is still out if that actually happened or some sort of hallucination. The previous issue Batman took out the rest of the JLA. (Aquaman barely warranted one panel, apparently).

So, it's 5 to 1 in Supermans favor. Can ya'll stop whining about Batman winning these fights now?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Batman and Superman (pre the Nu52) had a story arc where Batman got all of Superman's powers and was made evil/paranoid while Superman lost all of them.

It had thus the rare Superman/Batman fight where Superman is actually supposed to be the underdog.

In the end Superman won, but it was in a "he used a variety of tricks, got lucky and Batman was fighting against the influence so holding back."

The part I figured which was the most clever was Batman had been losing power, because he still used his Dracula motif of operating at night in the dark. Not realizing that he needs sunlight to get superpowers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Probably the first time since the original cartoon as a kid that I've liked Harley Quinn. I barely remember her from the game, though, or what her involvement is in the story.

In game, she's the Harley from the reality where Joker is killed. She kind of realizes how hosed up her devotion to him was and joins Batman's resistance, building up street level guerrilla forces. Then Joker 'comes back' and manages to weasel his way back into her good graces. By slapping her around. Which convinces her that he's the real deal. And she stands up for herself and doesn't take his poo poo. For a little while. Batman, in a stunning lack of foresight leaves Harley and Joker alone, with a key to his cell. Then Joker tries to kill her for failing to kill Lex Luthor. She finally 'gets' it after Lex saves her from Joker.

Her game story ending shows that after she beats up Superman, she keeps that Joker around and they get married. At the reception Joker mashes her face into the wedding cake, and apparently, that's the last straw. She takes the knife that's there and slashes his throat letting he bleed out. She spends the rest of her life in Arkham, which is up and running again somehow. Or maybe it's not and she's just hanging out there in the ruins of her own free will.

She's not allowed to have a happy ending in any reality.

In the Injustice comics, from what I've seen, we learn that she was pregnant with the Joker's kid at some point and sent the baby off to live with her sister. Joker never knew about the kid. Without the Joker guiding her she's been working with the heroes after some understandable trust issues. I find myself rooting for her so hard, I just know it's not going to end well for her.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batman also lost in Justice and OMAC Project.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Die Laughing posted:

Batman also lost in Justice and OMAC Project.

Pretty sure the OMAC project one was the one where Superman was mind controlled into thinking Batman was Doomsday/Darkseid/Whatever and flattened Batman. The only reason Batman survived is he was wearing some bullshit armor suit that was designed to let him fight OMACs.

Then Wonder Woman shows up, punts Superman to the side and breaks Maxwell Lord's neck.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

I find myself rooting for her so hard, I just know it's not going to end well for her.
:(:hf::(

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

CzarChasm posted:

In game, she's the Harley from the reality where Joker is killed. She kind of realizes how hosed up her devotion to him was and joins Batman's resistance, building up street level guerrilla forces. Then Joker 'comes back' and manages to weasel his way back into her good graces. By slapping her around. Which convinces her that he's the real deal. And she stands up for herself and doesn't take his poo poo. For a little while. Batman, in a stunning lack of foresight leaves Harley and Joker alone, with a key to his cell. Then Joker tries to kill her for failing to kill Lex Luthor. She finally 'gets' it after Lex saves her from Joker.

Her game story ending shows that after she beats up Superman, she keeps that Joker around and they get married. At the reception Joker mashes her face into the wedding cake, and apparently, that's the last straw. She takes the knife that's there and slashes his throat letting he bleed out. She spends the rest of her life in Arkham, which is up and running again somehow. Or maybe it's not and she's just hanging out there in the ruins of her own free will.

She's not allowed to have a happy ending in any reality.

In the Injustice comics, from what I've seen, we learn that she was pregnant with the Joker's kid at some point and sent the baby off to live with her sister. Joker never knew about the kid. Without the Joker guiding her she's been working with the heroes after some understandable trust issues. I find myself rooting for her so hard, I just know it's not going to end well for her.

It's worth pointing out that although she's joined Batman's 'Good Guys', and despite all the bonding she's done with his crew, the writers haven't gone all 'she's a good lass after all' with her. Harley is almost certainly the sole reason Flash is gonna jump right off the fence and go all 'gently caress you Bats' and shoot right over to Superhitler the first chance he gets.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

KayTee posted:

It's worth pointing out that although she's joined Batman's 'Good Guys', and despite all the bonding she's done with his crew, the writers haven't gone all 'she's a good lass after all' with her. Harley is almost certainly the sole reason Flash is gonna jump right off the fence and go all 'gently caress you Bats' and shoot right over to Superhitler the first chance he gets.

The same Flash who later turns on them?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

bobkatt013 posted:

The same Flash who later turns on them?

In the game, yes. he's on Supes side right up until he kills Shazam right in front of them.

A lot of the comic has been explaining why these folks are sticking with supes after he's obviously gone full Nazi. Hal got an entire year dedicated to why he turned yellow. At least Flash now has a reason to hate Bats and his crew after his experience with Harley - which is more than the game itself gave us.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

KayTee posted:

In the game, yes. he's on Supes side right up until he kills Shazam right in front of them.

A lot of the comic has been explaining why these folks are sticking with supes after he's obviously gone full Nazi. Hal got an entire year dedicated to why he turned yellow. At least Flash now has a reason to hate Bats and his crew after his experience with Harley - which is more than the game itself gave us.

Well when it comes to Hal he's with Superman because he is a dumb meathead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The writing in the game is pretty atrocious, especially compared with Taylor's run. It's essentially summed up in a scene where Yellow Hal tries to explain why he's joined with Sinestro and Superman to Green Hal, to which the reply is "SAVE IT!". We never get any sense of how things got like this, and the good dimension heroes don't care, they're just mad because They Don't Like Things That Are Different. And I really doubt they were counting on the comic explaining it.

There's also a laughable chapter where Deathstroke goes around owning every single character he meets and being one-dimensionally badass.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You know, in DKR when Batman challenges Superman to a fight, Supes heat rays the word 'WHERE?' into the ground from orbit.
He could have just heat rayed Batman to charcoal and won easily.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What was the webcomic that detailed all the ways Batman could beat Superman, but they all ended with Batman being thrown into the Sun?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Possibly this?

E: and the six comics after that I guess

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That be it, thanks!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, I didn't mean to cause a huge derail. I just liked the Batman/Superman punch up. That's one of the very few times they are close in strength and power and Bats is still basically trying to figure out a way to get the gently caress outta there before the pill wears off and he's chili in a bat shaped smear on the wall.

The fight opens with Supes slamming him hard enough to kill him and being shocked that he's not bat shaped goo on the wall.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

There's also a laughable chapter where Deathstroke goes around owning every single character he meets and being one-dimensionally badass.

Well that's not out of the ordinary for Deathstroke at all, is it? (seriously, gently caress Deathstroke, I hate that guy)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is that the one where Deathstroke takes out The Flash with knives to the knees? Yeah, that would work on a guy who thinks faster than the speed of light.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Is that the one where Deathstroke takes out The Flash with knives to the knees? Yeah, that would work on a guy who thinks faster than the speed of light.

You might be thinking of Identity Crisis, where he stabs The Flash in the gut by holding his sword out and making The Flash run into it by herding him with exploding bombs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

I think he steals Kyle's ring at the same time, too or some junk.

edit: poo poo, I thought we were talking about IC.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kramjacks posted:

You might be thinking of Identity Crisis, where he stabs The Flash in the gut by holding his sword out and making The Flash run into it by herding him with exploding bombs.

It's a small wonder The Flash is not regularly decapitated by clotheslines.

zoux posted:

You would be Bizarro :raise:

You mean he would not be Bizarro!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Well, to be fair he WAS the only one who thought about shooting a speedster in the kneecap.

I forget exactly when but it was a Teen Titans thing with Bart. You figure if anyone was literally "faster than a speeding bullet" it'd be the speedster guy.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, to be fair he WAS the only one who thought about shooting a speedster in the kneecap.

I forget exactly when but it was a Teen Titans thing with Bart. You figure if anyone was literally "faster than a speeding bullet" it'd be the speedster guy.

Start of Johns' run, IIRC. I think it's why Bart went and read a library and then became Kid Flash and a bad character.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Bart was temporarily paralyzed by something or some such. It was like the second issue of Johns run. Was so glad to finally see him put on the Kid Flash costume. Coulda kept the goggles like the Young Justice show did though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last night Detective Flass appeared on Gotham. It reminded me of this:

From Batman: Year One.

Note the baseball bat. Gordon gave that to Flass to make the fight more even.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Madkal posted:

Note the baseball bat. Gordon gave that to Flass to make the fight more even.

"It's been fifteen years since I had to take out a Green Beret. Even so -- he deserves a handicap."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That scene really rides the line between badass and comical.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Miller.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Vincent posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Miller.txt

Miller gently accelerating towards that batshark, ski's steady, the ramp shining in the sun.