Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are so close to having that bomb you won't loving believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Considering the number of female OB/GYN that support abortion, it may be more vagina pics.

We need this update. For the sake of humanity. How close until they get the bomb :ohdear:

Snatch snaps captioned "I control what goes in and out of here not you."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Abortionist.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rape? RAPE?!? What's wrong with a little rape, no big deal! Let's keep saying rape over and over again until you associate it with our cause!

rape

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

The 50 vote threshold is only for executive and non-SCOTUS judicial appointments. Legislation still requires 60 votes for cloture. Technically, amendments only require 50 as well, but the leadership often reaches an agreement to hold them to a 60 vote standard because their votes come before the cloture vote so the assumption is that you don't want to agree to anything that can't pass cloture.

The Senate, ladies and gents!

(edit: And, by the way, I simplified the rules there and didn't mention how agreements on the motion to proceed affect the amendment process or timing.)

Can you clarify this a bit? Why would Dem leadership agree to that deal if they can potentially put an annoying poison-pill into a bill or block egregious stuff sans-veto with the help of moderate Republicans (I can't imagine sending the "climate change is man-made and real" part back to the House would thrill Tea Partiers)? Unless it's an all-or-nothing deal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

Rape? RAPE?!? What's wrong with a little rape, no big deal! Let's keep saying rape over and over again until you associate it with our cause!

rape

Its literally 'Every sperm is sacred'.

But then again, these people are also okay with ectopic pregnancies and other life threatening pregnancies. What a delightful bunch of morons.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I saw this on Facebook but with "This man was CHARGED WITH BATTERY for tackling a man with a gun!" on the article. Strangely, all the comments called the guy a moron for tackling the guy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

You know given how disingenuous pro-life people are I wouldn't be surprised if everything on these signs is a lie (e.g., they're all the product of consensual sex, they all actually really hate their lives and long for the sweet release of death, etc.)

zoux posted:

Something like 40% of conceptions end in miscarriage, most of them before the woman is even aware she is pregnant. What is God harvesting all those souls for?

Underclass to perform manual labor in Heaven

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 22, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Something like 40% of conceptions end in miscarriage, most of them before the woman is even aware she is pregnant. What is God harvesting all those souls for?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

They are so close to having that bomb you won't loving believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Whatever it is, the Southern states reserve the right to prosecute you for that (completely natural) 'abortion'

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There are a lot stories of women refusing to get chemo or life saving procedures because it would hurt the baby and most of stories end with mom dying.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

I don't know if I would be a lone man in a photo of rape babies, especially if I was old enough to be the father of all of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There are a lot stories of women refusing to get chemo or life saving procedures because it would hurt the baby and most of stories end with mom dying.

Even better: Nearly the entire anti-abortion movement is based on lies, much like the Anti-GMO movement and Anti-Nuclear movement:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/07/fetal_pain_is_a_lie_how_phony_science_took_over_the_abortion_debate/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That is their choice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

That is their choice.

Ironic that they even have a choice.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Are they? I thought that the 20 week thing was enshrined in a court ruling somewhere.

Wiki sez more or less what I was remembering.

quote:

The Court later rejected Roe '​s trimester framework, while affirming Roe '​s central holding that a person has a right to abortion until viability.[1] The Roe decision defined "viable" as being "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid", adding that viability "is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks."[2]

It's a pre-viability ban.

Tibeerius posted:

Those are from the 2003 invasion, not 1991's Desert Storm.

Yeah, you're right on second thought. I think I have the trading cards somewhere too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jackson Taus posted:

Can you clarify this a bit? Why would Dem leadership agree to that deal if they can potentially put an annoying poison-pill into a bill or block egregious stuff sans-veto with the help of moderate Republicans (I can't imagine sending the "climate change is man-made and real" part back to the House would thrill Tea Partiers)? Unless it's an all-or-nothing deal?

The Majority Leader gets priority on all floor actions and can use that to do what is called "filling the tree" where they introduce a bunch of empty amendments to eat up all the amendment slots on a bill, leaving no room for anyone else to introduce amendments. Harry Reid did this often to stop Ted Cruz from adding a bunch of poison pills. The deal the Democrats got is that there's a 60 vote threshold on amendments, so they can't use them to add things that would kill the bill, but they still get to have the recorded votes on the measures, which can later be used in campaigns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Warcabbit posted:

That's the thing: A lot of these groups, especially the fundamentalist groups, are well aware they can't legally get this stuff passed, so they are doing it piecemeal, a little here, a little there, until through enough minor pieces of legislation is near impossible for Abortion/Gay Marriage/Etc. to NOT be illegal.

Its not working, naturally, except in places like Texas, but still, they have wealthy donors and hand picked nutjobs in their state legislative branch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

Yeah, you're right on second thought. I think I have the trading cards somewhere too.

Ah right, I knew that the courts had some sort of temporal limit. Of course the problem with tying it to viability is that as science improves, that threshold gets moved earlier and earlier. Under that standard, were a perfect artificial womb ever invented (granted that's far future scifi and hopefully the whole abortion debate will be well put to rest by then) then you could argue that viability occurs at conception.

CommieGIR posted:

That's the thing: A lot of these groups, especially the fundamentalist groups, are well aware they can't legally get this stuff passed, so they are doing it piecemeal, a little here, a little there, until through enough minor pieces of legislation is near impossible for Abortion/Gay Marriage/Etc. to NOT be illegal.

Its not working, naturally, except in places like Texas, but still, they have wealthy donors and hand picked nutjobs in their state legislative branch.

Also it works everywhere because the country is more or less evenly divided on the issue.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 22, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Now they're moving on to a law that would prevent the use of tax payer funds to pay for abortions, which I already thought was law and probably doesn't really happen.

This is what they're arguing is taxpayer funding for abortion.

quote:

The bill would do a number of things -- including block federal funds for abortion for women who are in the military, who live in Washington, D.C., and who are poor -- but one aspect of the legislation that hasn't received much attention is the fact that it would raise taxes on the vast majority of small businesses.

Under the SHOP exchange, a part of the Affordable Care Act, small businesses receive a tax credit if they include abortion care in their plans. Roughly 87 percent of private plans include abortion services as part of comprehensive coverage, meaning the bulk of small businesses would be hit with a tax hike if the bill, called the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, were to become law.

Yes, you read that right: they're passing a tax increase.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Also it works everywhere because the country is more or less evenly divided on the issue.

Hahahaha what a lovely question. "With respect to the abortion issue"? Does that mean wanting 0 regulations on abortion? Wanting abortion to be illegal?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

Honestly the "no abortion even in cases of rape" is a more consistent pro-life philosophy than the one that permits exceptions. I mean it's wrong and bad, but at least it's internally valid.

In the seventies Reagan claimed that rape and health of the mother exceptions were necessary as a means of self defense for mothers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pain? Not if we vacuum you out of there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Hahahaha what a lovely question. "With respect to the abortion issue"? Does that mean wanting 0 regulations on abortion? Wanting abortion to be illegal?

They have a bunch of polling that drills down into specifics but whether you self-identify as pro-choice or pro-life is going to indicate who you are going to vote for, and is probably about as deeply as most people think about the issue.

Joementum posted:

This is what they're arguing is taxpayer funding for abortion.

Yes, you read that right: they're passing a tax increase.

Ha.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

Ironic that they even have a choice.

They're making the "right" choice so its a k.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

They have a bunch of polling that drills down into specifics but whether you self-identify as pro-choice or pro-life is going to indicate who you are going to vote for, and is probably about as deeply as most people think about the issue.

Its okay, we've seen the polls on other hot-button issues: Climate Change, etc.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Wow what the gently caress why would you hold up a sign "proud of being conceived from incest" :wtc:.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

Wow what the gently caress why would you hold up a sign "proud of being conceived from incest" :wtc:.

Because their parental figure probably committed suicide, so they don't have to listen to the horror story of incest/rape.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Azuth0667 posted:

The best part is that she clearly made a conscious choice to pick that sign since there are others without the "rape/". From picking it up to taking this photo, there was never an ounce of dissent from Ms. "I'm my own grandpa".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean I'm pretty glad I wasn't aborted, aren't y'all?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

nah

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Enough with the 'gotcha' questions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

How would you know?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tab8715 posted:

I never seen anything as repulsive as Rove's "Illegitimate Black-Child" against McCain on the opposite side of the aisle. Republicans know how to make everyone get in line, whether the like it or not.

How quickly we forget Hillary's "Did he do drugs? Did he sell them?"

Azuth0667 posted:

It would be really nice if upper level management and the largest share holders could be criminally prosecuted for anything criminal their companies do. I think it would curb a lot of horrible behavior companies are exhibiting. Is there any country that does something similar to this or is it only in fantasy land?

China makes a show of top executives when their colossal fuckups embarrass the country. Death for massive financial fraud and I think they killed the CEO of the tainted milk scandal as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Enough with the 'gotcha' questions.

It's just that most pro-choice people act completely oblivious as to how anyone could possibly be pro-life and try to cast them as evil vagina controllers.

I mean, I get why people are pro-life, I just don't agree with them. I think that people can come to that conclusion honestly and not sinisterly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harik posted:

How quickly we forget Hillary's "Did he do drugs? Did he sell them?"

Did she actually say that or did someone on her team say that?

Edit: it seems like Bill Shaheen said it.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Has a president ever said at the SOTU that the state of our union wasn't strong?(if the answer is yes I'm assuming it was Carter)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

Has a president ever said at the SOTU that the state of our union wasn't strong?(if the answer is yes I'm assuming it was Carter)

Bush only said it once and kinda as an aside.

Edit:I mean he only said "the state of our union is strong" once.

quote:

George W. Bush, 2002: As we gather tonight, our Nation is at war; our economy is in recession; and the civilized world faces unprecedented dangers. Yet, the state of our Union has never been stronger."

Bush, 2003: "In a whirlwind of change and hope and peril, our faith is sure; our resolve is firm; and our Union is strong."

Bush, 2004: "In their efforts, their enterprise, and their character, the American people are showing that the state of our Union is confident and strong."

Bush, 2005: "Tonight, with a healthy, growing economy, with more Americans going back to work, with our Nation an active force for good in the world, the state of our Union is confident and strong."

Bush, 2006: "Tonight the state of our Union is strong, and together we will make it stronger."

Bush, 2007: "Yet we can go forward with confidence, because the State of our Union is strong; our cause in the world is right; and tonight that cause goes on."

Bush, 2008: "And so long as we continue to trust the people, our Nation will prosper, our liberty will be secure, and the state of our Union will remain strong."

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

The continuity of consciousness illusion is simultaneously the best and worst things our brain has evolved.

zoux posted:

It's just that most pro-choice people act completely oblivious as to how anyone could possibly be pro-life and try to cast them as evil vagina controllers.

I mean, I get why people are pro-life, I just don't agree with them. I think that people can come to that conclusion honestly and not sinisterly.

I don't think you're giving pro-choice people enough credit. I don't think most of us think pro-life people are deluded, I absolutely understand how someone could come to that conclusion honestly. My problem is not that someone has an opinion, it's that they want their opinion to govern others behavior under penalty of law.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 22, 2015

• Locked thread