Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

ActusRhesus posted:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...lFlowFB_CTBrand

I'm not a physicist, but gravity seems a little extreme to me. I mean...isn't it just as likely that there is a giant magnet in the earth, and we are just held in place because of the metal in our bodies? Also lizard people.

"I think I was out for 3 days." Interesting, since measles is contagious 4 days before and 4 days after the rash appears. How very irresponsible of your doctors and parents, or perhaps just you're a loving moron who doesn't know what the gently caress they are talking about.

Also, "Disneyland is a source of ongoing measles transmission", according to the Orange County Health Department, as now 5 employees have come down with it as well. Two of the employees infected were fully vaccinated, causing the anti-vaxxers to take to the comments sections of every article they can find, screaming "It looks like vaccination doesn't help after all! GOTCHA!" Yes, and seatbelts don't always save you in a car accident either, so you should definitely not use them.

I'm off to sit on hold forever in an attempt to get my Disneyland tickets refunded. We got tickets for the first week in February through a program where they offer extremely discounted tickets to Californians with permanent disabilities...unfortunately, my immune-compromised child who recently had surgery won't be enjoying his day at the 'Land this year.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Five-Disneyland-Employees-Contracted-Measles-Health-Officials-289259921.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
For a special dose of batshit, check the facebook page of the first commenter on the article I linked.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...lFlowFB_CTBrand

I'm not a physicist, but gravity seems a little extreme to me. I mean...isn't it just as likely that there is a giant magnet in the earth, and we are just held in place because of the metal in our bodies? Also lizard people.

It's just an instance of not really thinking things through. She had measles once and it probably didn't inconvenience her much more than a bad cold or a case of chickenpox would, and the same is almost certainly true of the infected teens and any other members of their high school, so to her, it seems like a big wacky overreaction about something that doesn't seem to be all that big of a deal.

The part she doesn't realize, though, is that while measles is only really an annoyance to teenagers and adults, it's extremely dangerous to young children - most measles fatalities are under the age of 5. She's only really thinking about the immediate transmission to other students, which isn't particularly harmful...but she isn't thinking about (and it likely never occurred to her to think about) who those other students at risk for infection might in turn transmit the virus to, including younger brothers and sisters. Still, that's mostly just working from her own personal experience and not thinking widely enough about how widely diseases can spread and how it might affect other demographics besides her own and her own kids'. It's really not at the level of kooky conspiracy garbage.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
no, she's not spewing lizard people nonsense, but she's still dumb.

And this just happened on a friend's facebook:

"to each their own. thats what i say. if your kids are vaccinated then you should have no worries for unvaccinated children to be around them.. some of them have disgusting ingredients in them though.. need to research which ones are mandatory and which ones are not, and what is in all these things. also watch for the chip, i know you think im crazy, but thats how they are going to get you. through iv. and they wont even tell you. all the ivs i had in the past year at the hospital, i probably have a chip in me already."

Watch for the chip.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 21, 2015

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
It is should not be a surprise that Disney employees are infected. Measles is incredibly contagious, and just going off the potential for a number of exposures versus the percentage of how often do you vaccine is ineffective, there will be employees who will be infected. It may seem unreasonable to close the park or find a temporary staffing for a necessary window, but those five employees may have had contact with many more people than an average person would and things may get a bit more hairy because of it.

These employees may refocus things on Disney though, as they do not appear to be off to a good start of handling the issue, Instead of keeping the focus where it should be on vaccines.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ActusRhesus posted:

"to each their own. thats what i say. if your kids are vaccinated then you should have no worries for unvaccinated children to be around them.. some of them have disgusting ingredients in them though.. need to research which ones are mandatory and which ones are not, and what is in all these things. also watch for the chip, i know you think im crazy, but thats how they are going to get you. through iv. and they wont even tell you. all the ivs i had in the past year at the hospital, i probably have a chip in me already."

Watch for the chip.

I don't know, the government sneaking microchips into injections is almost lizard people levels of paranoia.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't know, the government sneaking microchips into injections is almost lizard people levels of paranoia.

two different posters though.

one is misinformed about how measles works. One is batshit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

torpedan posted:

Watching this outbreak unfold is as terrifying as it is depressing.
The inhumane part of me hopes these antivax indigo kids end up with horrible pustules and brain fevers and that their proteins liquify and leave them all retarded.\

So that, you know, at least their autism was due to natural causes and poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ActusRhesus posted:

two different posters though.

one is misinformed about how measles works. One is batshit.

Ah, OK. I thought it was all the same person.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

ActusRhesus posted:

Watch for the chip.

This is insane Number of the Beast poo poo.

How do you honestly keep yourself from going off on these people? Tact? gently caress tact. The Internet has no room for it when it's actual verified bullshit like this.

Like, who the gently caress is 'they' and why are they micro chipping us? How does this person know this? Why does no one else know this but them? What's their morning urine intake* like? Is it helping them fight Big Pharma organically?

*http://www.universal-tao.com/article/therapy.html

Armani fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 21, 2015

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Disney should use it's resources as a giant megacorp to make a pro vaccination campaign.Would do more good than those anti-bullying ones.(Which is a problem, but a smaller one.)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Armani posted:

This is insane Number of the Beast poo poo.

How do you honestly keep yourself from going off on these people? Tact? gently caress tact. The Internet has no room for it when it's actual verified bullshit like this.

well, it wasn't my friend who posted it...it was one of her friends (who disturbingly has an associates degree in medical assisting) I bite my tongue so as not to cause a flame war on a friend's page. Were it on my page...oh yes, the gloves would come off. But luckily, it appears none of my friends are that goddamn stupid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PhazonLink posted:

Disney should use it's resources as a giant megacorp to make a pro vaccination campaign.Would do more good than those anti-bullying ones.(Which is a problem, but a smaller one.)

This would be a really good idea. I'm wondering if there might be a Carnival Cruise-style suit against the parents of the kids impending.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I saw this NPR article about anti-vaxers the other day, apologies if it's a double post but I didn't see it.

quote:

Although vaccines are among the safest, most effective ways to protect children from major communicable diseases, some parents still doubt this. As a result, some choose immunization schedules that defy science or refuse to vaccinate altogether.

If these parents were distributed randomly, their decisions would be less likely to harm others, especially babies too young for vaccination. But parents who use personal belief exemptions to avoid school vaccination requirements often live in the same communities, studies have found.

They're like a walking bio-weapon.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a nurse suggest staggering and delaying som vaccines for my kids. I looked at her and said "no."
I'm loving amazed this even happened.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I am a nurse and have had co-workers who refused to vaccinate their children. Ultimately I think every person on earth is forced at birth to choose at least 1 crazy thing to believe and a lot of them probably just close their eyes and point because there's no other explanation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I had a nurse suggest staggering and delaying som vaccines for my kids. I looked at her and said "no."
I'm loving amazed this even happened.

What I hate about myself, at times, is that I instinctively look for a valid rationale- "oh, there's a concern about an extreme allergic reaction to the suspensio-oh, google says the staggering thing is because of autism fears. Dammit."

Speaking of which, aforementioned googling turned up a Robert Sears, MD, out of (surprise!) California, as the origin of the staggering idea. Joy of joys, he's also a FAAP.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 22, 2015

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Delayed scheduling is like a bizarre application of the truth in the middle
fallacy. My biggest issue with it is that t lends some credence to vaccines being responsible for what the are not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would pay money to have an RFID tag installed in me, if only so I could replace my door locks with RFID scanners and open them with MAGIC POWERS.

What are microchips supposed to do to you, did they watch too much star trek and think that gluing bits of electronics onto you is how the borg assimilate you?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

OwlFancier posted:

I would pay money to have an RFID tag installed in me, if only so I could replace my door locks with RFID scanners and open them with MAGIC POWERS.

What are microchips supposed to do to you, did they watch too much star trek and think that gluing bits of electronics onto you is how the borg assimilate you?

They're going to let the gubmint spy on you! Totally unlike the cellphones we all carry and the inordinate amount of extremely personal poo poo they post on social media.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

What I hate about myself, at times, is that I instinctively look for a valid rationale- "oh, there's a concern about an extreme allergic reaction to the suspensio-oh, google says the staggering thing is because of autism fears. Dammit."

Speaking of which, aforementioned googling turned up a Robert Sears, MD, out of (surprise!) California, as the origin of the staggering idea. Joy of joys, he's also a FAAP.

He's also the son of William Sears and works with daddy's practice in Orange County. I give you exhibit a that the "Sears Method" of attachment parenting leads to hosed up kids.

Another fun fact: they are big backers of the juice plus ponzu scheme.

Edit: autocorrect changes ponzi to ponzu. A ponzu scheme sounds delicious.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 22, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

He's also the son of William Sears and works with daddy's practice in Orange County. I give you exhibit a that the "Sears Method" of attachment parenting leads to hosed up kids.

Another fun fact: they are big backers of the juice plus ponzu scheme.

We need to all band together, put our thinking caps on and figure out the whole CA medical license revocation thing. We could save a lot of lives.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I am a nurse and have had co-workers who refused to vaccinate their children. Ultimately I think every person on earth is forced at birth to choose at least 1 crazy thing to believe and a lot of them probably just close their eyes and point because there's no other explanation.

Was this your crazy thing?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

We need to all band together, put our thinking caps on and figure out the whole CA medical license revocation thing. We could save a lot of lives.

Yeah. Sears is ridiculously popular among attachment parenting backers. Knowing that he and his kids all practice in the same clinic in an area where vaccine rates are unusually low suddenly makes a lot of sense. And yeah, something seems to be up with CA and its docs. A doc I prosecuted for sexually assaulting his patients was also a CA doc.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah. Sears is ridiculously popular among attachment parenting backers. Knowing that he and his kids all practice in the same clinic in an area where vaccine rates are unusually low suddenly makes a lot of sense. And yeah, something seems to be up with CA and its docs. A doc I prosecuted for sexually assaulting his patients was also a CA doc.

That had to be a good day at work.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

That had to be a good day at work.

It would have been far more satisfying had the government not chosen to ignore my recommendations and let him plead to a ridiculously trivial agreement and pathetically low jail sentence....and then tried to dump it all on me when the victims and Congress said "wtf?"

Take home point: Do everything in writing. Save all your files. I did. Thank God.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is "attachment parenting" in this context? I assume it means something other than tethering your child to you with a rope or the general sense of emotional attachment between children and parents?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

What is "attachment parenting" in this context? I assume it means something other than tethering your child to you with a rope or the general sense of emotional attachment between children and parents?

The child is placed in what is essentially a large food processor, mulched, juiced, run through a filter, and then injected into the parent's reproductive organs so that they can take a second shot at the whole thing.

Wikipedia has a decent summary, although it's too neutral in tone. What I'd stress is that the whole thing is completely unscientific, but wraps itself up in scientific rhetoric and invalid sources of evidentiary proof. In particular, "attachment parenting" should be understood as distinct from, but falsely claiming the authority of "attachment theory" in developmental psychology, which is not looking so hot itself these days anyways.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_parenting

It's basically a host of practices all of which proponents say promote a healthier bond and attachment with the child. However, a lot of the recommended practices are either unrealistic for working mothers, or explicitly questioned by other pediatricians (e.g. co-sleeping.)

At the end of the day, I think it's up to parents to figure out what works best for their family, and if you want to got the attachment parenting route, good on you. Not my cup of tea, but also, not my kid. But many attachment parenting advocates can be a little on the judgmental side and argue (without evidence) that their method is superior and other methods are borderline child abuse. Not surprising there is a lot of overlap between attachment parenting advocates and anti-vaxxers.

EDIT: Also what discendo vox said. I think as a general rule with parenting...so much of it is uncertain. Do what works for your family because it works for your family, not because "questionable study by Dr.-sells-juice-for-a-Ponzi-scheme" says that something something "or else your child will grow up to be a low IQ anxiety prone failure." If it's working for you and your kid, you shouldn't need to go trolling the underbelly of the internet to find "proof" that it's the correct method. And besides...there are all kinds of ways to gently caress up your kids. formula vs. bottle, co-sleeper vs. bassinet in a different room, baby wearing vs. neglect-o-matic 5000 baby swing will not really matter in the grand scheme of 18 years of stabbing in the dark.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 22, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The child is placed in what is essentially a large food processor, mulched, juiced, run through a filter, and then injected into the parent's reproductive organs so that they can take a second shot at the whole thing.

Wikipedia has a decent summary, although it's too neutral in tone. What I'd stress is that the whole thing is completely unscientific, but wraps itself up in scientific rhetoric and invalid sources of evidentiary proof. In particular, "attachment parenting" should be understood as distinct from, but falsely claiming the authority of "attachment theory" in developmental psychology, which is not looking so hot itself these days anyways.

That sounds like someone sat down and said "I wish my kid was more like Oedipus, how do I achieve that?"

Edit: Also slightly amused that tethering your child to you with a rope is apparently part of the method.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 22, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This Disneyland thing has spread like crazy. Its on track to be the worst outbreak in decades.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds like someone sat down and said "I wish my kid was more like Oedipus, how do I achieve that?"

heh. yeah. it's not for me. But really I wouldn't mind it so much but for the fact that so many attachment parenting types are complete douchebags about it to anyone who isn't into it. Same with a lot of other parenting theories. Just do what works for your kid and stfu about it.

Oh, and baby leashes? No. Hell no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ActusRhesus posted:

Oh, and baby leashes? No. Hell no.

Yeah, that poo poo is crazy as hell. I'd rather just follow my kid and let him explore than strap him into a leash like a dog.

pentyne posted:

This Disneyland thing has spread like crazy. Its on track to be the worst outbreak in decades.

loving morons are literally killing people with their pseudoscience beliefs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that poo poo is crazy as hell. I'd rather just follow my kid and let him explore than strap him into a leash like a dog.

loving morons are literally killing people with their pseudoscience beliefs.

Are the anti-vaxxers blaming immigrants or are they trying to pretend like measles is no big deal?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
This is the very reason I kept 40 pounds of rice and dried black beans in my pantry. Living in north San Diego County in the midst of all this, no loving way am I going to grocery store for a while.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Are the anti-vaxxers blaming immigrants or are they trying to pretend like measles is no big deal?

They are pretending its no big deal. They argue that Measles and other diseases are 'Natural' and that you can gain a 'Natural Immunity' by being exposed to it. They literally have never seen the horrors of a pandemic, and make appeals to nature.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Dad is pretty explicitly pro vaccination:

http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-vaccinationimmunization-concerns

quote:

Because of my "historical" perspective, I have grown to appreciate the value of vaccines as a necessary public-health measure. Currently in our pediatric practice, we follow the vaccine schedule recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

(...)

Immunizations have received a lot of bad press lately. Bad news makes headlines, yet the fact that millions of children have been spared from what used to be routine disease doesn't get much press at all. Today, parents who want responsible medical care for their children are often confused by scary and misleading vaccine news. Much of what you might have heard or read about vaccine reactions is grossly exaggerated, unsubstantiated, or, perhaps, is about vaccines that are no longer used.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

According to the link you posted, it's not "because of autism fears" so much as it it "because people stopped vaccinating due to autism fears". Your link, at least, suggests that staggered scheduling is something Sears offered up as a compromise position to skittish parents that otherwise might not vaccinate at all, and is designed (using real medical knowledge about the vaccines and the diseases they combat) in order to increase risks of infection and sickness as little as possible. If he was pushing it on everyone who walks through his door it'd be a bad thing since it does present some risks over the traditional vaccination schedule, but your article suggests he came up with it exclusively to appease vaccine skeptics and convince them to vaccinate their children, which makes it a good thing. And the risks are pretty slight anyway as long as herd immunity (which staggered scheduling doesn't really damage) holds up.

pentyne posted:

Measles is no big deal...unless you are an infant or toddler, in which case it's deadly. So of course even the anti-vaxxers who catch the disease only really regard it as a slight annoyance and don't really understand what all the fuss is about, because they don't really understand the full implications of the spread of the disease. They see that they and everyone they know who got infected are only really just being inconvenienced by measles, and just assume Big Pharma is kicking up needless hysteria to push vaccines. It never occurs to them to consider that the disease might be more dangerous to vulnerable populations.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 22, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

According to the link you posted, it's not "because of autism fears" so much as it it "because people stopped vaccinating due to autism fears". Your link, at least, suggests that staggered scheduling is something Sears offered up as a compromise position to skittish parents that otherwise might not vaccinate at all, and is designed (using real medical knowledge about the vaccines and the diseases they combat) in order to increase risks of infection and sickness as little as possible. If he was pushing it on everyone who walks through his door it'd be a bad thing since it does present some risks over the traditional vaccination schedule, but your article suggests he came up with it exclusively to appease vaccine skeptics and convince them to vaccinate their children, which makes it a good thing. And the risks are pretty slight anyway as long as herd immunity (which staggered scheduling doesn't really damage) holds up.

I'd buy that if he hadn't published a book promoting it.

quote:

Perhaps the one-size-fits-all vaccine policy may not sit well with every family, yet it's prudent to have an overall vaccine policy. It's best to discuss your individual concerns with your child's doctor, though, since there may be medical and lifestyle circumstances within your family that warrant individualizing your child's vaccination schedule.

He's talking out of both sides of his mouth to maximize his client base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

He's talking out of both sides of his mouth to maximize his client base.

Yup.

Good post with some of Dr. Bob's thoughts:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/appeal-to-brady-bunch-vaccine-fallacy/

and also this one.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2015/01/21/quoth-dr-bob-sears-poor-poor-pitiful-me-you-stupid-people/

Basically he's been making tons of money as the "reasonable middle ground" for the anti-vaccine crowd, and is now butthurt that he is being called out for his bullshit.

He's also backed off of some of his earlier stances...probably for the same reason Jenny McCarthy did...it was costing him money.

http://blogs.plos.org/thepanicvirus/2011/06/03/is-dr-bob-sears-moving-away-from-his-profitable-anti-vaccine-pandering/

As for William Sears...he's the senior physician in a clinic with a known anti-vaxxer on his staff who also happens to be his son. Nope. He doesn't get a pass.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 22, 2015

• Locked thread