Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

Inspired by all the Dan talk in this thread, most of my contribution to this week's Idle Thumbs is talking about how much of an idiot I am, and what dumb situations I get myself into, when it comes to doing things normal people seem to understand. Hopefully it generates like 6 pages of hate and bafflement towards me.

So I'm about 2 minutes into your car story and here's my take on it: the universe was trying to do you a solid by getting rid of that car for you. A4 platform VWs/Mk4 Jettas/Golfs are one of the most unreliable pieces of poo poo to ever hit the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Idle Thumbs 193: If This House' Moroccan, Don't Come A'Knockin'!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Video Games Hot Dog needs to have Rachel Bess on every week, she was awesome.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Preemptive "Dan Rykert doesn't know what a thing is" post. Dan may or may not know who Jane Austin is but he does know how to generate heat/engagement with his audience over his lack of knowledge.

While I know who Jane Austin is and recognize her literary importance I still think it is a very boring book (for me). :colbert:

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Ulta posted:

Preemptive "Dan Rykert doesn't know what a thing is" post. Dan may or may not know who Jane Austin is but he does know how to generate heat/engagement with his audience over his lack of knowledge.

While I know who Jane Austin is and recognize her literary importance I still think it is a very boring book (for me). :colbert:

That poo poo is called "cheap heat." Like calling your audience dumb or saying you are smarter than them or claiming ignorance of popular and well known things only generates as much engagement as a click but nothing further. It's like the illusion of engagement as it gets a lot of people talking but it disappears as fast as it appeared and doesn't reoccur.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

It's a very good episode and if it's the Rachel I think it is, she's great IRL too!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Is this the most recent episode? drat you time to get back into VGHD.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Xtanstic posted:

Is this the most recent episode? drat you time to get back into VGHD.

I want another VGT, goddamn it!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I just wish VGHD would fix their RSS fix, going to their website to check if they updated is too much work... UGH.

SpannerX posted:

I want another VGT, goddamn it!

Also this.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Their RSS feed breaking was part of the reason I stopped listening to them in the first place. Good to know it's still broken!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hrm? I use their RSS feed, works fine.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Poor Talos Principle. I've noticed it mentioned on podcast after podcast but nobody wants to ever talk about it in depth because they are afraid of spoilers, even though to me the "spoilers" are some of the most interesting parts of that game.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Johnny Law posted:

Hrm? I use their RSS feed, works fine.
Yeah I've honestly not had a problem with it either.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Yeah, what's wrong with the RSS feed?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Al! posted:

Poor Talos Principle. I've noticed it mentioned on podcast after podcast but nobody wants to ever talk about it in depth because they are afraid of spoilers, even though to me the "spoilers" are some of the most interesting parts of that game.

It's on the Comrade docket and we'll definitely talk about spoilers after the break at the end.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

zapjackson posted:

Yeah, what's wrong with the RSS feed?

At least for me it hasnt updated ever since i added it which is weird as hell, but apparently it may be just me and a couple of people? :shrug:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Maybe it's a feedly thing? This is what I get when either trying to search for it or by adding the xml from the website:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

http://shows.kingdomofloathing.com/ahd/videogameshotdog.xml lists episodes 100 through 183.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

At least for me it hasnt updated ever since i added it which is weird as hell, but apparently it may be just me and a couple of people? :shrug:
I even got a new episode today, so it's definitely working for me at least. As patronizing as it's undoubtedly going to sound, have you tried turning it off and back onunsubscribing and resubscribing?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, that fixed it for me a few months ago. It was broken in a way that that didn't fix for a good while though.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The WOFF! episode about Brave Fencer Musashi just went up. It was divisive.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/92

Up next is Jet Set/Grind Radio, followed by Star Control II (featuring Zack from VGHD), and then a Special Episode about Game Books (things like Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery!, CYOA's, etc...)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Song For The Deaf posted:

Up next is Jet Set/Grind Radio, followed by Star Control II (featuring Zack from VGHD), and then a Special Episode about Game Books (things like Fighting Fantasy, Sorcery!, CYOA's, etc...)

Nice use of the DP soundtrack in the skit. Overall not my favorite episode. Probably because I don't have any connection to that game at all but listening to it it kinda reminded me of the worst parts of a platformer episodes combined with an rpg story that I don't give a poo poo about.

Don't apologize for not liking a game people voted for. As Gary said we listen to hear what you guys think.

A game book episode will be fun. After a post was made on the Facebook about Game Books I suspected this was coming. I found an app on the android store called Lone Wolf Saga that's got all but the last few books and had a good time playing through them all for the first time in years.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Gary wherever you are, I want you to know that you lead to the circumstances where i listened to the falsetto part of Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus, and that's not something I'll forgive easily.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I missed the "senpai restrict my pee" joke, but I laughed when I heard it on the Elder Scrolls ep just because Kole lost his poo poo. What's the context?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Phone posted:

I missed the "senpai restrict my pee" joke, but I laughed when I heard it on the Elder Scrolls ep just because Kole lost his poo poo. What's the context?

It's from a reader response which was signed I P Freely. We just riffed a bit on how no one should pee freely.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'm kind of astonished Brave Fencer Musashi won the poll. I was all stoked for a Secret of Mana cast because I assumed that would win by a landslide.

loving millennials.

Game Books is an awesome topic though, I used to devour those when I was a kid. Lone Wolf was loving cool.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Secret of Mana is a pretty good one because it's also a messed up, mediocre game that's canonized b/c people like multiplayer

Like, you guys should still do a SoM episode

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's canonized because it's a fun game with amazing music that looks great. I'm not going to say it's aged all that gracefully - mainly, leveling up your weapons and magic is a tedious slog - but it's definitely a good game that remains very unique. Like you fight loving santa claus who's turned into a frost giant because kids stopped believing in him, it's awesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Secret of Mana is a pretty good one because it's also a messed up, mediocre game that's canonized b/c people like multiplayer

Like, you guys should still do a SoM episode
Secret of Mana is actually really awesome and not mediocre at all. This is Proven Fact.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
When it comes to game books as a kid I was such a stupid stubborn dummy for a short little while. I refused the idea of "skip to page X" and would read them front to back, entirely skipping the entire point of the book.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I can't hear Secret of Mana without thinking yo myself: "We're going back to potatoes to get my loving power wrist."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I, for one, was looking forward to hearing Gary and Kole argue about Actraiser.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I happened to listen to the Rock band and hardware episodes in the same week and damnit Gary it's "tell me all your thoughts on god". How do you get it wrong on two separate episodes? Also that song is very poo poo but was so overplayed it became a part of me.

Also the Commander Keen music drop in the hardware episode got me to say " YES" out loud so thanks for that.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

I happened to listen to the Rock band and hardware episodes in the same week and damnit Gary it's "tell me all your thoughts on god". How do you get it wrong on two separate episodes? Also that song is very poo poo but was so overplayed it became a part of me.

Also the Commander Keen music drop in the hardware episode got me to say " YES" out loud so thanks for that.

I'm as amazed as you are, specifically that I made the same Dishwalla reference about a year apart.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

It's canonized because it's a fun game with amazing music that looks great. I'm not going to say it's aged all that gracefully - mainly, leveling up your weapons and magic is a tedious slog - but it's definitely a good game that remains very unique. Like you fight loving santa claus who's turned into a frost giant because kids stopped believing in him, it's awesome.

Yeah it does look good and have good music but the game itself is busted as hell, it's grindy as you mention, it's buggy, the boss fights are wildly imbalanced and you can own them by spamming spells but also some of them you just randomly die for reasons that are beyond your control, and magic completely ruins multiplayer unless you just agree to use the girl and sprite as crappy versions of the boy because you can't cast it without opening the ring menu constantly

I like it but it has Issues and all I was saying is those are good games for WOFF

Captain Invictus posted:

Secret of Mana is actually really awesome and not mediocre at all. This is Proven Fact.

CITATION NEEEDED

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I played it a couple years ago, it still owns, there's your citation Fun Hater

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Secret of Mana is pretty much top of my list of games I used to love but are impossible to go back to. It's behind Echo even.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Gary, Kole, I just feel I should tell you that I ended up laughing so hard at an old Abject Suffering (Metal Morph) on the job, someone rushed into the store thinking I was choking. Thanks.

Also apparently I didn't know gently caress-all about REM, because either you were doing an extended bit, or I've never heard of any of those singles of theirs.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Anyone who's stayed away from Bonfireside Chat because they're not too huge into Dark Souls 2 should know that our interstitial season has begun. We're theming it around "Imitation and Followers", and the first episode is about 3D Dot Game Heroes.

http://duckfeed.tv/bsc/55

It's very similar to a WOFF! episode in scope and style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've been avoiding it since I haven't played DS2 and am waiting until Scholar of the First Sin, so I'm excited for some more stuff to listen to until April.

• Locked thread