Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

razorrozar posted:

Yeah busting into someone's house with a gun seems like a great way to get yourself charged with B&E and/or assault. Also vigilantism if that's a separate charge.

Murder maybe? When they shoot me thinking they're John Wayne coming to save the pilgrims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Defenestration posted:

hm yes I wonder what could possibly be different about Japan and Japanese culture
The old folks willingly sacrificed themselves by entering dangerous areas during the tsunami/Fukushima cleanup. Brennanite should let his grandpa know that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hi grandma how are the books

quote:

. So…what do you think of this?!

A German's View on Islam - worth reading. This is one of the best explanations of the Muslim terrorist situation I have ever read. His references to past history are accurate and clear. Not long, easy to understand, and well worth the read. The author of this email is Dr. Emanuel Tanya, a well-known and well-respected psychiatrist. A man, whose family was German aristocracy prior to World War II, owned a number of large industries and estates. When asked how many German people were true Nazis, the answer he gave can guide our attitude toward fanaticism.

'Very few people were true Nazis,' he said, 'but many enjoyed the return of German pride, and many more were too busy to care. I was one of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the majority just sat back and let it all happen. Then, before we knew it, they owned us, and we had lost control, and the end of the world had come.'

'My family lost everything. I ended up in a concentration camp and the Allies destroyed my factories.'

'We are told again and again by 'experts' and 'talking heads' that Islam is a religion of peace and that the vast majority of Muslims just want to live in peace. Although this unqualified assertion may be true, it is entirely irrelevant. It is meaningless fluff meant to make us feel better, and meant to somehow diminish the specter of fanatics rampaging across the globe in the name of Islam.'

'The fact is that the fanatics rule Islam at this moment in history. It is the fanatics who march. It is the fanatics who wage any one of 50 shooting wars worldwide. It is the fanatics who systematically slaughter Christian or tribal groups throughout Africa and are gradually taking over the entire continent in an Islamic wave. It is the fanatics who bomb, behead, murder, or honor-kill. It is the fanatics who take over mosque after mosque. It is the fanatics who zealously spread the stoning and hanging of rape victims and homosexuals. It is the fanatics who teach their young to kill and to become suicide bombers.'

'The hard, quantifiable fact is that the peaceful majority, the 'silent majority,' is cowed and extraneous. Communist Russia was comprised of Russians who just wanted to live in peace, yet the Russian Communists were responsible for the murder of about 20 million people. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. China 's huge population was peaceful as well, but Chinese Communists managed to kill a staggering 70 million people.'

'The average Japanese individual prior to World War II was not a warmongering sadist. Yet, Japan murdered and slaughtered its way across South East Asia in an orgy of killing that included the systematic murder of 12 million Chinese civilians; most killed by sword, shovel, and bayonet. And who can forget Rwanda, which collapsed into butchery? Could it not be said that the majority of Rwandans were 'peace loving'?

'History lessons are often incredibly simple and blunt, yet for all our powers of reason, We often miss the most basic and uncomplicated of points: peace-loving Muslims Have been made irrelevant by their silence. Peace-loving Muslims will become our Enemy if they don't speak up, because like my friend from Germany, they will awaken one day and find that the fanatics own them, and the end of their world Will have begun.'

'Peace-loving Germans, Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Rwandans, Serbs, Afghans, Iraqis, Palestinians, Somalis, Nigerians, Algerians, and many others have died because the peaceful majority did not speak up until it was too late.'

'Now Islamic prayers have been introduced in Toronto and other public schools in Ontario, and, yes, in Ottawa, too, while the Lord's Prayer was removed (due to being so offensive?). The Islamic way may be peaceful for the time being in our country until the fanatics move in.'

'In Australia, and indeed in many countries around the world, many of the most commonly consumed food items have the halal emblem on them. Just look at the back of some of the most popular chocolate bars, and at other food items in your local supermarket. Food on aircraft have the halal emblem just to appease the privileged minority who are now rapidly expanding within the nation's shores.'

'In the U.K, the Muslim communities refuse to integrate and there are now dozens of "no-go" zones within major cities across the country that the police force dare not intrude upon. Sharia law prevails there, because the Muslim community in those areas
Refuse to acknowledge British law.'

'As for us who watch it all unfold, we must pay attention to the only group that counts - the fanatics who threaten our way of life.'

Lastly, anyone who doubts that the issue is serious and just deletes this email without sending it on, is contributing to the passiveness that allows the problems to expand.

Extend yourself a bit and send this on. Let us hope that thousands world-wide read this, think about it, and send it on before it's too late, and we are silenced because we were silent!!

Thanks grandma I'll make sure you to pick you up some James Patterson books for your tablet later

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So my grandfather died recently. He was a mostly great, kind person that perfectly exemplified media propaganda to me. He was a Canadian, but a Snowbird, so I could always watch his politics change over the course of the year. During the summer and fall, he'd have been watching lots of CBC, and was generally a pretty considerate, moderate Liberal during these times. When he goes to the States for the winter, however, he watches Fox News, in particular O'Reilly. He does this pretty much constantly. So if I visit him in the winter or spring he sounds like a hard line conservative ranting about entitlements and the welfare state. It was really hard to urge compassion toward folks, because he was kicked out of his house at the age of 16 with no support, robbing to get by, and eventually 'pulled himself up by his bootstraps', until he landed a job in the military and rose to the rank of Major over the course of a career. Managed to break into the millionaires club with smart investments and all assets combined. But he'd seemingly come back around to more left leaning politics every time he came back to Canada.

Now I've never heard him say anything racist on its face. I've heard him repeat O'Reilly's 'welfare has made the black community in the US dependent on government handouts, dis empowering them', but that was as close as it ever got to expressed racism. Same with my grandmother... Very mild mannered, never really hateful... Except when he passed away (while in Florida), I visited my grandmother in Lakeland, Polk County and I must have heard her talk about how dangerous 'The Blacks' are a dozen times in the span of 4 days. How they'd beat you up, rob, or murder you if you were out after dark or simply looked like you had money.

The truly baffling thing is these are my mainland, modern, urban, culturally-christian-atheist-in-practice, upper class grandparents. Kind of a bit WASPY but never church attending. My fathers' side, in contrast, were a bunch of rural, Protestant Newfoundlanders living in a large traditional family (11 kids, subsistence living/farming), and never once did I ever hear my grandparents on that side say anything negative, bigoted, or racist about a person. Who'd have guessed.

Sorry, just needed to rant. I've encountered racist/homophobic aunts, uncles, and cousins before but I never suspected it of my grandparents. So that's my story of racist grannie.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hi grandma how are the books

Thanks grandma I'll make sure you to pick you up some James Patterson books for your tablet later

nice to get that nazi comparison out there right away and then without a trace of irony tell us muslims are the problem and need to be dealt with

:allears:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Poizen Jam posted:

So my grandfather died recently. He was a mostly great, kind person that perfectly exemplified media propaganda to me. He was a Canadian, but a Snowbird, so I could always watch his politics change over the course of the year. During the summer and fall, he'd have been watching lots of CBC, and was generally a pretty considerate, moderate Liberal during these times. When he goes to the States for the winter, however, he watches Fox News, in particular O'Reilly.

This sounds like the basis for a study.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Poizen Jam posted:

So my grandfather died recently. He was a mostly great, kind person that perfectly exemplified media propaganda to me. He was a Canadian, but a Snowbird, so I could always watch his politics change over the course of the year. During the summer and fall, he'd have been watching lots of CBC, and was generally a pretty considerate, moderate Liberal during these times. When he goes to the States for the winter, however, he watches Fox News, in particular O'Reilly. He does this pretty much constantly. So if I visit him in the winter or spring he sounds like a hard line conservative ranting about entitlements and the welfare state. It was really hard to urge compassion toward folks, because he was kicked out of his house at the age of 16 with no support, robbing to get by, and eventually 'pulled himself up by his bootstraps', until he landed a job in the military and rose to the rank of Major over the course of a career. Managed to break into the millionaires club with smart investments and all assets combined. But he'd seemingly come back around to more left leaning politics every time he came back to Canada.

Not to demonize your grandparents, but I hope I don't turn into this in my old age.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rick_Hunter posted:

Not to demonize your grandparents, but I hope I don't turn into this in my old age.

I'm loving terrified of turning old and not being able to recognize my own conservatism / general nuttery someday.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Al Harrington posted:

nice to get that nazi comparison out there right away and then without a trace of irony tell us muslims are the problem and need to be dealt with

I noticed that too.
I wonder if it's because we have a really whitewashed presentation of history.

It's common knowledge that there was widespread antisemitism in Gemany, some people know that antisemitism was common even in the US.

What I don't think is commonly known is that there were some Jewish people doing things that were really upsetting a lot of German people.

This is important because if you don't know that, you might think that people were just arbitrarily mad at Jews and thus be unable to connect it to contemporary attitudes towards Muslims.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Rick_Hunter posted:

You will. Perhaps not about any of the issues alive and well today (Race, sexuality, transgender), but likely whatever social wedge issue is popular when you're 60. Robot rights? Robot marriage? That's the insidious thing- you won't perceive your transition.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

You will. Perhaps not about any of the issues alive and well today (Race, sexuality, transgender), but likely whatever social wedge issue is popular when you're 60. Robot rights? Robot marriage? That's the insidious thing- you won't perceive your transition.

That's why all progressives should kill themselves at the age of 50 :v:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I noticed that too.
I wonder if it's because we have a really whitewashed presentation of history.

It's common knowledge that there was widespread antisemitism in Gemany, some people know that antisemitism was common even in the US.

What I don't think is commonly known is that there were some Jewish people doing things that were really upsetting a lot of German people.

This is important because if you don't know that, you might think that people were just arbitrarily mad at Jews and thus be unable to connect it to contemporary attitudes towards Muslims.

I'm bewildered that Americans are throwing paranoid fits about Sharia Law but we've had Orthodox Jewish communities for decades that have been given permission to govern their communities by Talmudic law. Obviously, I'm not saying that the drat dirty Jews are the problem but if you're going to look for an example, look at home first before you get all paranoid over something that doesn't even exist.

Poizen Jam posted:

Robots are a pox on human civilization and I'll be a bacterium's uncle if I let mah daughter murry a robit. I ain't livin' in no hovel wit no robosexual. :bahgawd:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

I'm bewildered that Americans are throwing paranoid fits about Sharia Law but we've had Orthodox Jewish communities for decades that have been given permission to govern their communities by Talmudic law. Obviously, I'm not saying that the drat dirty Jews are the problem but if you're going to look for an example, look at home first before you get all paranoid over something that doesn't even exist.

Robots are a pox on human civilization and I'll be a bacterium's uncle if I let mah daughter murry a robit. I ain't livin' in no hovel wit no robosexual. :bahgawd:

But jews are our biggest ally and we won't ever hear you talk against them.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
GODDAMN KOSHER FOR PASSOVER POTATO PANCAKES

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

GODDAMN KOSHER FOR PASSOVER POTATO PANCAKES

I once hand made some latkes for an ex who was Jewish and those motherfuckers are goddamn delicious. I would make them more if they weren't so labor intensive.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Poizen Jam posted:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fortunately I don't think PETA will ever be an issue within my lifetime.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

I honestly can't tell what this is parodying.

Oh, gods, it's begun hasn't it. I'm turning...

:bahgawd:

Also from "Only liberal in the office" files today: SOTU is power grab, Obama is "arrogant" for proposing policies. Michael Brown deserved it. Obama lifting Cuba Sanctions is because he's a communist. Also it will leave the US open to attack. Also, Cuba will be a hub of importing narcotics into the US by Mexican Cartels.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 22, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Also, Cuba will be a hub of importing narcotics into the US by Mexican Cartels.

They... they know we already trade with Mexico right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I honestly can't tell what this is parodying.

Oh, gods, it's begun hasn't it. I'm turning...
Everyone gets old and everything that happens past a certain point in your life is new, scary, and therefore wrong.

One day, you will be the equivalent of the old union guy who supports leftist economics, workers' rights, and solid welfare, but complains about how the country is 80% Muslim and they want to force us to run our Quiznos under Shakira law.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone gets old and everything that happens past a certain point in your life is new, scary, and therefore wrong.

One day, you will be the equivalent of the old union guy who supports leftist economics, workers' rights, and solid welfare, but complains about how the country is 80% Muslim and they want to force us to run our Quiznos under Shakira law.

And you will tell everyone "You'll understand when you're older".

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Al Harrington posted:

I call her out on that and she just stammers

It's okay grandma just vote for weed next time and I'll forget you sent me this bad email

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I can't wait to be a roboracist

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Stop depressing me...

In other news, one of my dad's facebook friends doesn't understand what the difference between a deficit and debt is. and then he linked to a blank page labeled "Obama's accomplishments as the first black president", but he doesn't think it's racist because it's just 'stating facts'

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guavanaut posted:

I will welcome our Muslim overlords if they replaced most fast food joints with Halal döner/shwarma. :swoon:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I will welcome our Muslim overlords if they replaced most fast food joints with Halal döner/shwarma. :swoon:

Yeah I'll take a hundred lashes for that

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thats a slippery slippery slope man.
Youll start with nice little wraps. Then youll eat burrito thickness shawermas. Then at the end of your days you will be eating two giant shawermas the length of your arm a day.

Also louisiana hot sauce is the best thing to happen to shawermas since they were made. Everyone eats shawemas with a splash of the old Crystal in. So have pride knowing that the shawerma was made better with an American invention.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Youll start with nice little wraps. Then youll eat burrito thickness shawermas. Then at the end of your days you will be eating two giant shawermas the length of your arm a day.

Also louisiana hot sauce is the best thing to happen to shawermas since they were made. Everyone eats shawemas with a splash of the old Crystal in. So have pride knowing that the shawerma was made better with an American invention.

If it's Cajun rhen it's French.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't see the reason to revolt yet.

Now, if it was five-star French cuisine that could fit an entire course in a tomato soup can I could see people raging. Y'know aside from the fact that a DIRRTY FOREGHNIER IS TRYING TO TELL ME WHAT TO DOOOO. :byodood: :freep:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Man, if you didn't start out eating burrito-thickness shwarmas, you weren't doing it right.

quote:

I doubt it's better than the spicy sauce they use in the Middle East. They only tone it down because y'all Americans can't deal with flavor.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

GreyPowerVan posted:

and then he linked to a blank page labeled "Obama's accomplishments as the first black president", but he doesn't think it's racist because it's just 'stating facts'

Tell him you think his link is broken and send him this http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I doubt it's better than the spicy sauce they use in the Middle East. They only tone it down because y'all Americans can't deal with flavor.

Funny thing is it really is the hot sauce most places will have in the Middle East.

Ive kind of lived there all my life.
I also might not be American but shhh.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Man, if you didn't start out eating burrito-thickness shwarmas, you weren't doing it right.

That's what we Americans say about the German döner's hot sauce and the "spicy" currywurst.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Funny thing is it really is the hot sauce most places will have in the Middle East.

Ive kind of lived there all my life.
I also might not be American but shhh.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

That's what we Americans say about the German döner's hot sauce and the "spicy" currywurst.

Okay, let me drop my bluster and faux cultural superiority: I eat pretty mild stuff myself, to the point that other Israelis will mock me. :smith:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Spice is an acquired taste; if you don't regularly eat spicy foods your tolerance will decline, and on the other side if you do regularly eat spicy foods your tolerance will increase.

So it doesn't really matter where you're from or what your heritage is; if you stop eating spicy food regularly you'll lose your ability to tolerate the spice and foods that in the past were quite tasty transform into edible lava.

That said, tastes differ from person to person so some people really just can't tolerate large amounts of spice regardless.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I can't believe I just had the argument again over facebook about why the John Crawford shooting was not justified. People will ignore a thousand videos so long as they get to do some good old fashioned 'Merican cop worship.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Just remember, if it was a white gun owner, people would be up in arms about cops shooting a man for exercising his second amendment rights.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Poizen Jam posted:

Just remember, if it was a white gun owner, people would be up in arms about cops shooting a man for exercising his second amendment rights. no one would have called the authorities

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Am just I bad at reading twitter, or are the replies/retweets/whatever the gently caress related to that post almost nothing but an incomprehensible gibberish of hateful, spiteful hashtags? Mostly made by the same people, one with a Disney Mermaid av, and the other with some "patriotic XTREME" skull?

Good loving lord, use words and whole sentences people. Alternatively, go out and talk to real people and stop being so angry. The hashtags are so thick my brain first parsed them as censored profanity, which they might as well be.

Also, this. The sign's owner has now outed himself as a) a person with valuable property to steal that his neighbor does not have and b) a reprehensible poo poo-stain with no redeeming qualities, oh and c) likely the kind of just world asshat who votes for harsher prison terms/punishments and against the wellfare that would keep many would-be thieves off the street.

It gets worse though.

That last tweet. :eyepop:

This is how the revolution starts, people. Not with a bang, but with a bunch of weird delusional folks in a twitter echo chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Poizen Jam posted:

Just remember, if it was a white gun owner, people would be up in arms about cops shooting a man for exercising his second amendment rights.

I know it may be futile, but does anyone have a good link to the chain of events that happened in the John Crawford incident (does this even exist). Now I'm only trying to convince him that the police were negligent in their actions.

But for my own benefit, did the police know they were looking for a big, bad, dangerous black man? Right now I believe the guy who made the phone call was racist, but the police just thought a man with a gun was a danger to the Walmart, and they came in guns blazing without actually assessing the situation. So they were just negligent and stupid. Any good links would be appreciated. I found a few lame ones.