Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I know this may be an odd request but would someone be willing to run a DW game for me tonight or tomorrow over Skype or Roll 20? Nothing too long or involved, but something to show me a bit of how it's done? My group wants to play Sunday with me DMing and none of my experiences so far have been particularly thrilling with DW. I'd like to get a better feel for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Swags posted:

I know this may be an odd request but would someone be willing to run a DW game for me tonight or tomorrow over Skype or Roll 20? Nothing too long or involved, but something to show me a bit of how it's done? My group wants to play Sunday with me DMing and none of my experiences so far have been particularly thrilling with DW. I'd like to get a better feel for it.

I'm actually in the same boat, though I haven't finished reading the book. My group has been showing some interest in it lately. One of these days I need to learn Roll20 as well, they also want to do games over that and while I've watched all the tutorials and poo poo, I learn by doing usually.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Swags posted:

I'm free tomorrow night, I can whip something up for you and your buds. Send me a PM with your Skype name and I'll send you a message tonight around 7:30 PM EST.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
So following the fine feedback, here is the Bonded playbook with the feedback acted upon. The one part I was unsure of was the Advantages in relation to control. I was playing around with the idea of making Control related to the health of the Monster. But I couldn't think of a good way without making it overly complicated.

Feedback on the advanced moves and Monster rules are what I'm focusing on. Though if anyone has suggestions for any other part, I'd be happy to hear them.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Looks better, here's some nitpicking. You have a move that doesn't have an outcome on 10+. I'm not sure if its a problem but I'd try stay in DW's bad/complications/success system. A binary success/fail feels a bit bland in comparison. I'd set up the "When your Monster tries to overcome its overwhelming emotions" part as:
10+ The Monster controls it's impulses.
7-9 The Monster's urge complicates the situation.
6- The Monster totally loses control for a moment.

-I'm also a bit uncertain about the names of the Monster's stats. Control and Urge seem a bit overlapping, since Urge is a measure of how well the Monster can control itself before it's urge. That's how it is, right? Wyrd for supernatural power, Urge for self control and Control for... wait, what is Control for? It seems to be mainly used in My Closest Friend to power up the Monster's rolls, and then in a few other random places. You should think about what the stat represents, or if it is even needed at all.

-My first impression about the advances that allow the Bonded to use the Monster's moves is that they might obsolete the Monster to some extent. Giving the Bonded access to one or two seems all right but Man Behind the Monster just basically allows you to use them as you please. Is this good?

-I agree that the Monster being unkillable has a nice theme to it, but it shouldn't be unbeatable either. I suppose the current system works all right for that, since either the Monster is fighting next to the bonded, or you've spent Imagination to get it to deal a hit further away, so it can't just fight without risks for long. Actually, is the Monster still even capable of dealing damage without explicitly using one of it's moves? If not, this is starting to look good. I also had the thought that letting the Monster get damaged could be penalized in some other way than risking it's death. Maybe getting hurt could drive it mad with pain, turning it into a threat to everyone?

-I'd also like to give a word about the gear options. Uniquely described objects can help spark the player's imagination, and while I like many of these, there are also few that stick out by being really boring in comparison. The Sword Made of Amber is nice, but Wyrd Enchanted Clothing is pretty boring. Maybe Clothes Brought from Wyrd Weld would be more evocative? Really, anything but generic "enchanted." The Object of Great Significance also seems redundant, and generic, no hooks there. You can already come up with reasons why your other stuff holds great significance.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Jvie posted:

Looks better, here's some nitpicking. You have a move that doesn't have an outcome on 10+. I'm not sure if its a problem but I'd try stay in DW's bad/complications/success system. A binary success/fail feels a bit bland in comparison. I'd set up the "When your Monster tries to overcome its overwhelming emotions" part as:
10+ The Monster controls it's impulses.
7-9 The Monster's urge complicates the situation.
6- The Monster totally loses control for a moment.

Yeah, I was struggling to find a good way to phrase it. That sounds a little better.

quote:

-I'm also a bit uncertain about the names of the Monster's stats. Control and Urge seem a bit overlapping, since Urge is a measure of how well the Monster can control itself before it's urge. That's how it is, right? Wyrd for supernatural power, Urge for self control and Control for... wait, what is Control for? It seems to be mainly used in My Closest Friend to power up the Monster's rolls, and then in a few other random places. You should think about what the stat represents, or if it is even needed at all.

Thinking about it Control could be used to resist giving into its urge when it does take a hit. But it might be better to remove it completely and only go with Wyrd and Urge. Meaning you can only pick one advantage to start out with. But then again, it might be better to tie that into taking hits, see below.

[/quote]
-My first impression about the advances that allow the Bonded to use the Monster's moves is that they might obsolete the Monster to some extent. Giving the Bonded access to one or two seems all right but Man Behind the Monster just basically allows you to use them as you please. Is this good?
[/quote]

I think I'll change the wording on Man Behind the Monster so you can pick one of your monster's moves, and you spend Hold to use that one move. With the moves that get both Monster and Bonded moves I might make it so you take on some minor mutation or mark that could reveal your bond.

quote:

-I agree that the Monster being unkillable has a nice theme to it, but it shouldn't be unbeatable either. I suppose the current system works all right for that, since either the Monster is fighting next to the bonded, or you've spent Imagination to get it to deal a hit further away, so it can't just fight without risks for long. Actually, is the Monster still even capable of dealing damage without explicitly using one of it's moves? If not, this is starting to look good. I also had the thought that letting the Monster get damaged could be penalized in some other way than risking it's death. Maybe getting hurt could drive it mad with pain, turning it into a threat to everyone?

I do want there to be something in place for when the Monster gets hit by something that's not its weakness. Which was why I was playing around with having Control be something to do with health. Maybe a roll to soak the damage? Otherwise the hit takes a point of Imagination. So its less emotional control and more control of form. Something like

When your Monster takes a hit, roll +CONTROL. On a 10+ Your Monster shrugs off the blow and impresses or intimidates while doing it. On a 7-9 Your Monster is struck! Pick one.
* Your Monster soaks the blow and you do not lose a point of Imagination
* Your Monster does not give into its Urge
On a miss the attack cuts through, Your Monster bleeds and loses 1 point of Imagination and is overwhelmed by its Urge

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that the Monster can only act through its moves, including attacking. Making how you name its moves really important.

quote:

-I'd also like to give a word about the gear options. Uniquely described objects can help spark the player's imagination, and while I like many of these, there are also few that stick out by being really boring in comparison. The Sword Made of Amber is nice, but Wyrd Enchanted Clothing is pretty boring. Maybe Clothes Brought from Wyrd Weld would be more evocative? Really, anything but generic "enchanted." The Object of Great Significance also seems redundant, and generic, no hooks there. You can already come up with reasons why your other stuff holds great significance.

Yeah, naming needs a little bit of changing. I threw in the object of great significance as a potential plot hook, but I see your point. Besides, the Monster is more than enough of a plot hook in and of itself.

2nd Edit> Just had a thought, Monster starts at d10 damage dice. But can pick one advantage if it reduces its damage dice to d8, or two if it reduces its damage dice to d6. That way gives players just that little bit more freedom to design their Monster. 'Do you want max damage, or do yo u want your Monster a little better at taking hits, or spotting things?' something along those lines.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 23, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A few of my players are traveling this weekend, so the remaining players and I decided that we'd have a one-shot Dungeon World session disconnected from our actual campaign. I know how these folks operate by now: when bad things happen to their characters, they find it hilarious. I can only imagine they'd find it even more hilarious with one-shot characters they're never going to play again.

With that in mind, I think I want to run something that's essentially a more clever version of the Tomb of Horrors. Nothing so simple as "orb of annihilation inside the mouth of a statue and why would you ever put your hand in there anyway," nope, that's too easy. I might even take a page from Paranoia and give each player multiple "clones" or some sort of extra lives system so they can die in a humorous manner more than once. It's the kind of session I'd never run if everyone wasn't on board with it, but I'm pretty sure all of these players are.

So, any suggestions for just plain being mean as a GM using Dungeon World?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Harrow posted:

A few of my players are traveling this weekend, so the remaining players and I decided that we'd have a one-shot Dungeon World session disconnected from our actual campaign. I know how these folks operate by now: when bad things happen to their characters, they find it hilarious. I can only imagine they'd find it even more hilarious with one-shot characters they're never going to play again.

With that in mind, I think I want to run something that's essentially a more clever version of the Tomb of Horrors. Nothing so simple as "orb of annihilation inside the mouth of a statue and why would you ever put your hand in there anyway," nope, that's too easy. I might even take a page from Paranoia and give each player multiple "clones" or some sort of extra lives system so they can die in a humorous manner more than once. It's the kind of session I'd never run if everyone wasn't on board with it, but I'm pretty sure all of these players are.

A good idea is to look at the guest start playbook. Its the ultimate one shot, lots of death book. Plus it encourages multiple deaths to give other advantages. You should be able to find it on DriveThruRPG

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arashiofordo3 posted:

A good idea is to look at the guest start playbook. Its the ultimate one shot, lots of death book. Plus it encourages multiple deaths to give other advantages. You should be able to find it on DriveThruRPG

That was my first thought too. Maybe you can steal some appealing Guest Star moves and add them as racial or bonus moves to spice up the standard classes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's an awesome idea. I've looked over that playbook and loved it. I might even steal its method of leveling and just apply it to everyone for the purpose of this one-shot.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I sort of think you could maybe remove Monster stats entirely. You already have the basic six stats for your playbook, is swelling that to nine worth it? Use the Bonded's stats, s/he's the one supposed to be controlling the Monster. I get that you might want the Bonded and the Monster have different strengths but right now I get the feeling that the holy cows STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS and CHA are just dead space on the page. Everything interesting uses WYRD, CONTROL or URGE.

quote:

Just had a thought, Monster starts at d10 damage dice. But can pick one advantage if it reduces its damage dice to d8, or two if it reduces its damage dice to d6. That way gives players just that little bit more freedom to design their Monster. 'Do you want max damage, or do you want your Monster a little better at taking hits, or spotting things?' something along those lines.

That essentially means having two advantages for increasing it's damage die.

I think that defining the Monster with just Moves and Advantages without the current stat lines could work. For the getting damaged thing, maybe give the Monster a substantial armor number? Anything below that is harmless, but if it gets hit hard its taken out or whatever. The weakness could work by negating the Monster's armor, turning it into a glass cannon.

Those suggestions would turn the advantage selection into something like following.
-Increase the Monster's damage die from d6 to d8.
-Increase the Monster's damage die from d8 to d10.
-Increase Monster's armor by 2.
-Other stuff...
-Other stuff...

Monster armor should probably have a different name from plain armor to avoid confusion. Vim? Solidity? Pluck?

But to be honest, I also see merit in Something Else's suggestion that the Monster failing also kills the Bonded. Maybe taking damage to fuel the Monster could be a bigger part of the playbook?

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Harrow posted:

Check out Funnel World. Players get multiple unremarkable peasants each and then you throw them all into a meat grinder to see who survives.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Jvie posted:

I sort of think you could maybe remove Monster stats entirely. You already have the basic six stats for your playbook, is swelling that to nine worth it? Use the Bonded's stats, s/he's the one supposed to be controlling the Monster. I get that you might want the Bonded and the Monster have different strengths but right now I get the feeling that the holy cows STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS and CHA are just dead space on the page. Everything interesting uses WYRD, CONTROL or URGE.

I tried that with the first version of the book. Rolls were made with +Wyrd (now intelligence) but at the time the level fluctuated a lot less. I decided to move towards the set stats to give the Monster a more reliable power level. I could change some things around to make it roll from the Bonded's stats, but then I'd have to re-build the Monster mechanics all over again, at this stage I've done that about 7 or 8 times. I might make more of the Advanced moves work off of the Bonded stats instead and make it focus a little bit more on the Bonded's abilities. That should re-dress the balance.

quote:

That essentially means having two advantages for increasing it's damage die.

I think that defining the Monster with just Moves and Advantages without the current stat lines could work. For the getting damaged thing, maybe give the Monster a substantial armor number? Anything below that is harmless, but if it gets hit hard its taken out or whatever. The weakness could work by negating the Monster's armor, turning it into a glass cannon.

Those suggestions would turn the advantage selection into something like following.
-Increase the Monster's damage die from d6 to d8.
-Increase the Monster's damage die from d8 to d10.
-Other stuff...
-Other stuff...

Monster armor should probably have a different name from plain armor to avoid confusion. Vim? Solidity? Pluck?

But to be honest, I also see merit in Something Else's suggestion that the Monster failing also kills the Bonded. Maybe taking damage to fuel the Monster could be a bigger part of the playbook?

Way back when I did the first version taking damage was what happened most of the time. I decided to move away from that because it became clear that you could pretty easily kill yourself before you hit full power. It made the playbook a hell of a lot less fun to play.

I think I'll make the default damage d8, and have the advantage be for d10, and leave the rest as they are.

The current rules go that a Monster can attempt to soak a hit of something that is not its weakness. With success meaning they take no damage, partal being they take damage or become overwhelmed by their Urge, on a miss both happens. But when it encounters its weakness it just cuts right through and they start losing Imagination, they don't even get the option to soak. Being knocked to 0 Imagination by your Weakness 'banishes' your Monster, and you can't gather any more Imagination until you've had a rest of about an hour or more. So that's sort of what you're moving towards there.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Harrow posted:

I'm doing the same thing, sort of, tomorrow. I'm having a bday party, the whole DW group will be there plus about 3 or 4 others, so I designed a one-shot dungeon crawl that will feature a single wizard who will start at lvl 8 and have the additional ability to use "scrolls of summoning" to call in a party that will use a modified form of the guest star class. I subdivided it out so that there are guest star specialties, replacing the left hand column of character choices (3 days from retirement, etc) with a short list of 3 abilities each, so you basically have wizard-lite, fighter-lite, cleric-lite etc.

The wizard will start with a party composition of his choosing, we'll probably cap it at 6 players, and as each dies we rotate someone in from the sidelines, 'summoning' a replacement. There wont be much downtime because i expect to kill them early and often. The best part is I can use all the traps I normally wouldn't: pits of acid, flying scythes, deadly poison gas, crushing walls, catapults that fling them off cliffs etc. On top of that there will be non stop hordes of skeletons, mummies, zombies, lizardmen, necromancers, ghosts, giant spiders and poo poo assailing them.

The whole thing is tied together by a simple story: The lvl 8 wizard leading the party was abandoned by his old party who let him get sucked into a hellish dimension while they made off with the loot, assuming him dead. They took his stuff, the party Fighter stole his sorceress girlfriend, the cleric moved in to his old castle, and so on. However, among the loot they took was a cursed sword that made them all liches, so when our hero finally breaks free hundreds of years later, they're still kicking around for him to take revenge upon. Thus begins adventure in: The Tomb of My Ex Angela, The Lich Queen.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

The best part is I can use all the traps I normally wouldn't: pits of acid, flying scythes, deadly poison gas, crushing walls, catapults that fling them off cliffs etc. On top of that there will be non stop hordes of skeletons, mummies, zombies, lizardmen, necromancers, ghosts, giant spiders and poo poo assailing them.

The combination of these two facts means the penultimate encounter should be fighting a reanimated horde consisting entirely of all the characters who died up to this point. You can look at it either as a reward for doing well (if they died less, the encounter will be easier) or as a reward for taking risks and getting lots of characters killed (the horde will be more dangerous, meaning the encounter will be more awesome). Either way the members of the horde should each have one ability they had in life and one ability based on what killed them (if they fell in a pit of acid, they deal damage on contact or maybe they can spit acid).

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Carrasco posted:

The combination of these two facts means the penultimate encounter should be fighting a reanimated horde consisting entirely of all the characters who died up to this point. You can look at it either as a reward for doing well (if they died less, the encounter will be easier) or as a reward for taking risks and getting lots of characters killed (the horde will be more dangerous, meaning the encounter will be more awesome). Either way the members of the horde should each have one ability they had in life and one ability based on what killed them (if they fell in a pit of acid, they deal damage on contact or maybe they can spit acid).

That's exactly what I was planning on doing with the dead characters (since the last boss is a necromancer) but the idea of them having an ability based on what killed them is genius, I'm definitely adding that.

I was planning on tracking deaths anyway, to give prizes for various death-categories: most gruesome death, best comedic death, greatest last words, longest survivor, most deaths etc.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

After giving the playbook another read I'm starting to think that removing the Monster advantages might be a good thing. You already have the advanced moves for the class, why not put the damage die upgrade and such there? The Monster already gets it's moves to define it.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Jvie posted:

After giving the playbook another read I'm starting to think that removing the Monster advantages might be a good thing. You already have the advanced moves for the class, why not put the damage die upgrade and such there? The Monster already gets it's moves to define it.

You've got a point. I think I'll put a box in the space instead. Somewhere for people to attempt to doodle their Monster. That's always pretty fun. Thought about moving some of the advantages into the gear section (the ones related to things the Bonded could do) and group them under a pick one. But I'm not sure about it. I might just remove them entirely. They seem a little superfluous given everything else the book has going on.

I'm also wondering if I should add in one more starting move now that its gone down from four to three. It would have to be something for the Bonded to do. But I'm not quite sure what to add there. Though I'm mostly wondering it because there's space on the character sheet.

Other than those last few decisions I think its pretty much there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Got a question for people that have had games actually last more than half a dozen sessions:

Working on a 40k hack heavily based off of DW (three stats with just modifiers instead of 6, some moves removed or altered, but largely the same otherwise), and I was wondering, does 6 levels seems like too low a maximum level threshold?

The reason it's lower than base DW is because I'm designing a sort of faction system that gains its own levels and has its own moves attached to it. You gain faction levels by "retiring" your character, with FXP gained determined by that character's level. That character then becomes an important background character depending on how they were retired, and you can call on them every once in a while to do neat stuff or alter the course of your adventure in drastic ways.

I figured having a lower level threshold would encourage people to focus more on empowering their chapter or cult or whatever and maybe get people who only roll Fighter types to try out the sneakier or psychic-ier playbooks, I dunno. I don't want character to come and go too quickly either, which is why I'm concerned that the max level is too low. XP gain would be about normal with DW, in this case, with bonds and looting important treasures and whatever.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I'm DMing a DW game on Sunday night and I've got an idea for, not so much the setting, but the 'game behind the game' so to speak: The characters are characters played by actors on a weekly serial fantasy show on the Sy-Fy network that is facing huge budget cuts. Their actors are doing pretty much whatever they can to stay on the show because for each of them its their first big break and they want to make sure they stick around and don't get laid off in the upcoming mid-season break.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on how to give characters some sort of bonus/trait/etc that comes not from the character, but from the actor playing the character.

Edit: Also, because I want to avoid having the guy who's hosting the game have to print out too much stuff, I'm thinking of asking him to do:

4x Copies of the Basic Moves
1x Improved Fighter
1x Barbarian
1x Bard
1x City Thief
1x Gladiator
1x Medic
1x Warlock
1x Shaman
1x Druid
1x Psion
1x Initiate
1x Some sort of ranged class I guess.

I don't really want the core spellcaster classes because they put forth the whole 'magic has tons of options and fighting ain't poo poo' feel that I'm trying to get away from. This look like a good list?

Swags fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 24, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
you should definitely add the dashing hero.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Swags posted:

So I'm DMing a DW game on Sunday night and I've got an idea for, not so much the setting, but the 'game behind the game' so to speak: The characters are characters played by actors on a weekly serial fantasy show on the Sy-Fy network that is facing huge budget cuts. Their actors are doing pretty much whatever they can to stay on the show because for each of them its their first big break and they want to make sure they stick around and don't get laid off in the upcoming mid-season break.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on how to give characters some sort of bonus/trait/etc that comes not from the character, but from the actor playing the character.

Edit: Also, because I want to avoid having the guy who's hosting the game have to print out too much stuff, I'm thinking of asking him to do:

4x Copies of the Basic Moves
1x Improved Fighter
1x Barbarian
1x Bard
1x City Thief
1x Gladiator
1x Medic
1x Warlock
1x Shaman
1x Druid
1x Psion
1x Initiate
1x Some sort of ranged class I guess.

I don't really want the core spellcaster classes because they put forth the whole 'magic has tons of options and fighting ain't poo poo' feel that I'm trying to get away from. This look like a good list?

I really like your concept here, it sounds like it could be a blast. You could theme the abilities around what kind of actor they are, or what sort of work they've done before. So you could have a guy who did his classics, Shakespeare and the like could be all intimidating, or great at giving carasmatic speaches. Or a guy who did lots of stage fighting and stunt work could have something to help his fight or overcome risky manuvers.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Got a question for people that have had games actually last more than half a dozen sessions:

Working on a 40k hack heavily based off of DW (three stats with just modifiers instead of 6, some moves removed or altered, but largely the same otherwise), and I was wondering, does 6 levels seems like too low a maximum level threshold?

The reason it's lower than base DW is because I'm designing a sort of faction system that gains its own levels and has its own moves attached to it. You gain faction levels by "retiring" your character, with FXP gained determined by that character's level. That character then becomes an important background character depending on how they were retired, and you can call on them every once in a while to do neat stuff or alter the course of your adventure in drastic ways.

I figured having a lower level threshold would encourage people to focus more on empowering their chapter or cult or whatever and maybe get people who only roll Fighter types to try out the sneakier or psychic-ier playbooks, I dunno. I don't want character to come and go too quickly either, which is why I'm concerned that the max level is too low. XP gain would be about normal with DW, in this case, with bonds and looting important treasures and whatever.

For the DW games I've been in (the ones with normal leveling anyway), people gained a level about every other weekly session, unless they had a whole lot of 6- rolls. So that depends on how much you think you'll cover in ~10 sessions, and if that's long enough to keep the character on the front?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I really like your concept here, it sounds like it could be a blast. You could theme the abilities around what kind of actor they are, or what sort of work they've done before. So you could have a guy who did his classics, Shakespeare and the like could be all intimidating, or great at giving carasmatic speaches. Or a guy who did lots of stage fighting and stunt work could have something to help his fight or overcome risky manuvers.

I made a list!

What Kind of Actor Are You?
Shakespearean: +1 to Spout Lore if done dramatically.
Sitcom/SNL: +1 Defy Danger in social situations.
Lucky Break/Newbie: 1 less XP to level up.
Former Star: +1 Parley if older than target.
Stunt Man: +1 Defy Danger if less-than-half HP.
Martial Artist: +1 Hack and Slash if more-than-half HP.
Former Pro Athlete: +1 Defend for items.
Child Star: +1 Defy Danger for Dex.
Voice Actor: +1 Discern Realities, can only ask 1st three questions.
Rehab Superstar: +1 Defy Danger with Con if inebriated.
Up-jumped Understudy: +1 Aid, can't give +2 on 10+.
Musical Wonder: +3 on Last Breath, must sing a dirge.
Newscaster: +1 Discern Realities, can only ask last three questions.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Swags posted:

I made a list!

What Kind of Actor Are You?
Shakespearean: +1 to Spout Lore if done dramatically.
Sitcom/SNL: +1 Defy Danger in social situations.
Lucky Break/Newbie: 1 less XP to level up.
Former Star: +1 Parley if older than target.
Stunt Man: +1 Defy Danger if less-than-half HP.
Martial Artist: +1 Hack and Slash if more-than-half HP.
Former Pro Athlete: +1 Defend for items.
Child Star: +1 Defy Danger for Dex.
Voice Actor: +1 Discern Realities, can only ask 1st three questions.
Rehab Superstar: +1 Defy Danger with Con if inebriated.
Up-jumped Understudy: +1 Aid, can't give +2 on 10+.
Musical Wonder: +3 on Last Breath, must sing a dirge.
Newscaster: +1 Discern Realities, can only ask last three questions.

I'm liking the list. It might all be bigger numbers. But trying to come up with narratively pure stuff for all of those would be more trouble than its worth. Given a few of these seem to give their bonus from a negative position, I'm finding a lot of fun potentials. Rehab Superstar for instance. Turn up on set drunk. Get bonus to rolls. Try to not get fired for their drunken antics. I love it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
After rather a... cumbersome... session of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e tonight I'd like to switch the campaign over to Dungeon World. I've heard that some of the classes we used in our first game of Dungeon World were pretty bad. What recommendations do people have to best represent a wood elf archer, a tanky warrior with a big shield and big armour, and an Amethyst wizard?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For an Elf archer I can only recommend my Elf. :v:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are there any playbooks that are about making things blow up or doing area-wide attacks? I've been fooling around with a medic + grenadier playbook concept and I'm wondering if someone's had their own approach for implementing frequent explosions.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Am I right that someone in the thread put together like a Monk / Boxer type of character? I've got a player who wants to play a monk and we may just use the Peerless fighter, but we'd love something more Monk-y

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheTofuShop posted:

Am I right that someone in the thread put together like a Monk / Boxer type of character? I've got a player who wants to play a monk and we may just use the Peerless fighter, but we'd love something more Monk-y

For a big tanky fighter, I highly recommend the Brute.

For a monk/boxer/hand to hand I'm playing an initiate right now and loving it.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

For an Elf archer I can only recommend my Elf. :v:

Yes, this! The Elf is one of my all-time favorites!

I also love The Star Mage (which has small area attacks.)

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Aren't area attacks kind of subjective, since maps aren't required and what you do is basically just described?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm looking to playtest my PBTA hack over the next few weeks, so I need players! If you're interested in playing or running a Apocalypse world/Dungeon world game about misfits and spaceships go HERE.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

TheTofuShop posted:

Covok put together The Mystic, which a pretty sharp martial artist character that uses chi and classic fighting styles, iirc. I liked what I saw of it and I think it's on DTRPG right now.

Swags posted:

Aren't area attacks kind of subjective, since maps aren't required and what you do is basically just described?

True, and I've taken this into account with my most recent tinkerings. I'm still curious to see if someone else has a better way of handling it; maybe I'll post what I got so far later and see what everyone thinks of it.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Appoda posted:

Are there any playbooks that are about making things blow up or doing area-wide attacks? I've been fooling around with a medic + grenadier playbook concept and I'm wondering if someone's had their own approach for implementing frequent explosions.

There is a Bombardier playbook on DTRPG.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Gort posted:

After rather a... cumbersome... session of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e tonight I'd like to switch the campaign over to Dungeon World. I've heard that some of the classes we used in our first game of Dungeon World were pretty bad. What recommendations do people have to best represent a wood elf archer, a tanky warrior with a big shield and big armour, and an Amethyst wizard?

I'm not sure about the Amethyst Wizard. Maybe one of the Mage foci will be appropriate. Check the Alternative Playbooks link in the OP, or maybe you could work out a focus that works for the character if none of the options make sense. It's necromancy but not really raise dead necromancy, right?

If it is necromancy, there are a couple of Necromancer playbooks around. One on it's own (I think it's on DTRPG) and one in Grim World.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

madadric posted:

I'm looking to playtest my PBTA hack over the next few weeks, so I need players! If you're interested in playing or running a Apocalypse world/Dungeon world game about misfits and spaceships go HERE.

I wouldn't be able to play this with your timeframe but I am quite interested to see the rules for this. The description has me intrigued.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

RSIxidor posted:

I'm not sure about the Amethyst Wizard. Maybe one of the Mage foci will be appropriate. Check the Alternative Playbooks link in the OP, or maybe you could work out a focus that works for the character if none of the options make sense. It's necromancy but not really raise dead necromancy, right?

If it is necromancy, there are a couple of Necromancer playbooks around. One on it's own (I think it's on DTRPG) and one in Grim World.

It might need extra work but there's a shaman that focuses on spieits that may work.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Error 404 posted:

It might need extra work but there's a shaman that focuses on spieits that may work.

Oh yeah, that would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

RSIxidor posted:

I wouldn't be able to play this with your timeframe but I am quite interested to see the rules for this. The description has me intrigued.

There's a link to all the PDFs Here

madadric fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 26, 2015