Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

zolthorg posted:

I agreed with you until you said the interface wasn't garbage. It's completely missing the option to turn the drat gamepad off during games and shows without using a secondary pro controller that has a better auto-off.

I specifically said the Netflix interface and I only granted that it was the least garbage of all the other devices, because Netflix is a huge pain in the rear end to run on my smart TV, my DVD player which runs it, and in any browser on a desktop or laptop. Just a clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Wii U owns and is the best console.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It's also got great games you can play with your friends. :)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Lmao at all these people getting so excited over the only video game genre that is more dead than adventure games.

what are you talking about

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You keep saying this, but you don't even own one.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Nasgate posted:

Lmao at all these people getting so excited over the only video game genre that is more dead than adventure games.

honestly not sure where people get the impression FGC is dead, if anything it's one of the most thriving game communities besides MOBAs or FPS. you can find FGC meetups in practically any city if you look around.

EVO still draws a fairly large crowd, it's just that the newer instalments don't get a lot of hype anymore.

you should see the shitstorm people started over Smash 4 and Melee both being at EVO 2015.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Smash 4 is pretty great and I'm enjoying it alot but I'm not sure how much it's improved by making you grind for custom moves, unlocking them for each of the six or so characters I actually want to get good with is really Not Fun

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Smash 4 is pretty great and I'm enjoying it alot but I'm not sure how much it's improved by making you grind for custom moves, unlocking them for each of the six or so characters I actually want to get good with is really Not Fun

amiibo hacking is well on its way, they've already figured out how to register an amiibo as a different character (for example, Duck Hunt)

they're hoping through testing that they can hack a set of amiibos to give you all the custom moves as gifts, which would make it much quicker to use in tourneys

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Excels posted:

amiibo hacking is well on its way, they've already figured out how to register an amiibo as a different character (for example, Duck Hunt)

they're hoping through testing that they can hack a set of amiibos to give you all the custom moves as gifts, which would make it much quicker to use in tourneys

Isn't there still the problem of the time it takes to create the custom characters?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Excels posted:

I would kill for this. Locking out core parts of your gameplay is such a bizarre thing for a fighting game to do, especially when regular player vs player matches don't work towards unlocking them and you practically have to do gimmicky single player poo poo

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

chumbler posted:

Isn't there still the problem of the time it takes to create the custom characters?

it takes like five freaking seconds, literally the same amount of time it'd take to punch in a name tag

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Wouldn't it make more sense to just ban customized characters? They already ban every single element of fun in the game anyway, why not ban another thing?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to just ban customized characters? They already ban every single element of fun in the game anyway, why not ban another thing?

if they don't allow custom moves the tourney scene will just die faster. right now it's pretty much Super Diddy & Rosalina Bros

when you see tourney players not using Diddy it's probably because they just want to be different

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

So everyone is currently playing the game in the most boring way possible using one map, no items, and only a couple of characters, which is exactly what pro Smash players have always wanted. I'm failing to see the problem.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

So everyone is currently playing the game in the most boring way possible using one map, no items, and only a couple of characters, which is exactly what pro Smash players have always wanted. I'm failing to see the problem.

you know even in pro Melee people use a bunch of stages/characters or are you just shitposting on purpose. like i even need to ask really

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

please enjoy Smash responsibly, with online or real lief friends, and not in a cutthroat tournament environment filled with dangerous strangers.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Excels posted:

you know even in pro Melee people use a bunch of stages/characters or are you just shitposting on purpose. like i even need to ask really

I assure you, any shitposting I do is entirely accidental

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

That's a loving bummer

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Winning should be its own reward, without the joy of trophies or cheering at some competition. Don't be corrupted by the glitz and glamor of the conventions...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

So what you're saying is your whole life has been an accident?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yoooooooooo daaaaaaaaammmmmmnnmnnnn

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I've reviewed my entire post history and found zero poo poo posts

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

This is what's known as integer wraparound.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

the gamers.txt thread was some of your finest work

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

Are you telling me the lungs aren't in the women's breasts?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Adventure games are alive, and quite good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want more Myst games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

are there any text adventure games that are actually clever/fun/recognize lots of commands

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

are there any text adventure games that are actually clever/fun/recognize lots of commands

the game of life, my friend.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excels posted:

Tons of em, yes

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not the biggest text game expert but back in the day I always liked Lost Pig and Lock & Key

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think I ever beat Deja Vu for the NES. It's not really a text entry game but text entry games often make me think of it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Trying to think of some more games for my wife to play and looking for some recommendations. Want something in the vein of Assassin's Creed / Tomb Raider / Prince of Persia (linear-ish story driven 3rd person action adventure). At least for now she wants to stay away from open world so no Far Cry / Batman / Shadow of Mordor as a first choice. About to have her try the Uncharted games but would prefer some PC options. Might also end up trying some old school stuff like Beyond Good & Evil or Soul Reaver stuff.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
rayman legends is a good one

also both the walking dead seasons, futurewife has been playing those lately

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I recommend Dark Souls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I recommend Dark Souls
No, don't do it. This game is, like, it is soooooo hard. It is so hard that I heard last year a kid tried to beat it and the counselors found him dead in the lake and the doctor said the game was so hard it made him crazy!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i know that 'dark souls is not difficult' is the rallying cry right now but be real

if they aren't a serious gamer / looking for a challenge you're not gonna have patience for that poo poo don't even front

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cael posted:

Trying to think of some more games for my wife to play and looking for some recommendations. Want something in the vein of Assassin's Creed / Tomb Raider / Prince of Persia (linear-ish story driven 3rd person action adventure). At least for now she wants to stay away from open world so no Far Cry / Batman / Shadow of Mordor as a first choice. About to have her try the Uncharted games but would prefer some PC options. Might also end up trying some old school stuff like Beyond Good & Evil or Soul Reaver stuff.
Arkham Asylum isn't open world, its more of a Metroidvania, get it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hubris.height posted:

i know that 'dark souls is not difficult' is the rallying cry right now but be real

if they aren't a serious gamer / looking for a challenge you're not gonna have patience for that poo poo don't even front
It's really easy once you get the plasma rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
have your wife play Custer's Revenge

• Locked thread