Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

19 hours of use is pretty epic and owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
ban cremnob :toot:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
i get 6 hours of use on my iphone so im jealous

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

lol "use", 19 hours between chargings. when new

apple watch is new google glass

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

it said 2.5 to 4 hours which is hilarious for a thing that you're meant to wear all day and comes in ridiculously expensive variants

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the fruit fuckcer from penny arcade

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

it said 2.5 to 4 hours which is hilarious for a thing that you're meant to wear all day and comes in ridiculously expensive variants

the iphone 6 does 14 hours of talk time

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

cremnob posted:

the iPhone 6 is a giant hideous phone

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Squinty Applebottom posted:

the iPhone 6 is a giant hideous phone

wrong

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

cremnob posted:

what does this have to do with the watch

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Forums Terrorist posted:

what does this have to do with the watch
a watch's battery should not be outlasted by a phone's

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

maybe we could get a watch thats also 2 inches larger than it should be and it will also have 14 hours of battery life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if these rumors are true then we truly are in the post steve apple he would have just thrown it back at the team and said "make the battery last a week! also make it less ugly"

this and the camera wart would not have happened

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

WOW

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

steve jorbs

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how much in use battery time does a watch need idk

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theadder posted:

how much in use battery time does a watch need idk

most quartz watches last at least three years but good ones it's more like 10
solar watches can go without charge for 6-8 months

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the point is no one actually uses a phone like that just like no one is gonna spend 4 hours exercising u idiots

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

qirex posted:

most quartz watches last at least three years but good ones it's more like 10
solar watches can go without charge for 6-8 months

well sure but i mean what do u need from a watch like this in a day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the point of a watch is is it working when you need it instead of pulling your phone out of your pocket which is what it's supposed to replace

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

qirex posted:

the point of a watch is is it working when you need it instead of pulling your phone out of your pocket which is what it's supposed to replace

and boy that will be a blissful 2.5 to 4 hours of the day

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what im thinkin is if u need to look at a watch and do stuff with it for more than 4 combined hours a day maybe ur a crazy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol the iwatch fails to even accomplish the primary function of a watch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but what if you forget to plug it in or sleep at someone else's house and you know the charger is going to be at least $40

"it's awesome as long as you don't use it too much" is not a good value proposition especially when they're brand new and people are going to want you to show it to them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

theadder posted:

what im thinkin is if u need to look at a watch and do stuff with it for more than 4 combined hours a day maybe ur a crazy

so basically you can either poke at it all day and use it like a really awkward smartphone replacement, but with 1/16 the functionality and half the screen-on time of a lovely android phone

or

you can check the time on it half a dozen times per day for five seconds, like a regular watch, except you have to recharge it after 18 hours regardless of how little you used it

this is your reality.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im not buyin one so neither is rly my reality

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

my thought is that if u take the daily charging as a given how much usage does it rly need during a full day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's jewelry that gets worse the longer you look at it, thereby defeating its use even as a decorative object

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the apple watch will last u a full day and u will recharge it every night. comparisons to mechanical or quartz watches is about as laughable as the comparisons nerds made to dumb phones with their week of battery life when the iphone launched

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
my boss is buying me an apple watch :greencube:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
a smart watch takes the wristwatch, a device that people expect to have the same sort of reliability and maintenance requirements as their shoes or their belt, and makes it into something where you have to mentally janitor your usage throughout the day and do a little ritual with it every night or it won't be functional the next day.

i can understand Mr. Chow's Golden Sparkle Electronics Concern of Nanjing crapping out a product like that in the hope that they'll sell a few hundred

how the gently caress did apple come to this

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

a smart watch takes the wristwatch, a device that people expect to have the same sort of reliability and maintenance requirements as their shoes or their belt, and makes it into something where you have to mentally janitor your usage throughout the day and do a little ritual with it every night or it won't be functional the next day.

you use androids, this is why you believe this

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

if these rumors are true then we truly are in the post steve apple he would have just thrown it back at the team and said "make the battery last a week! also make it less ugly"

this and the camera wart would not have happened

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

realistically a smart watch needs to have two features in order to succeed

1/ the ability to display something on the screen without entering a high power mode, so that it can serve the basic functionality of a watch (look at briefly for info) with minimal impact on its battery. this makes it at least meet most of the functionality of a $10 timex
2/ at least two days of battery life when using the more advanced features, so that if you forget to recharge it one night, it's not useless the next day.

i imagine steve would have thrown the thing the gently caress back if it didn't at least meet these two requirements and probably much stricter ones

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you use androids, this is why you believe this

i use androids and windows, which is why i have an intimate understanding of how frustrating it is to have to keep track of your usage of a device instead of just using it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

here u can see the concentration of our faithful

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i use androids and windows, which is why i have an intimate understanding of how frustrating it is to have to keep track of your usage of a device instead of just using it.

you should upgrade to apple products and free yourself from your self-inflicted torment

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

theadder posted:

here u can see the concentration of our faithful

california is a toss up because nobody is using the iphone in death valley

washington trying to be an edge case because redmond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~