Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Is that a pinch weld? Or a frame rail (well, as close as you get to a frame rail on a unibody)? poo poo looks pretty dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
thats a unibody C channel. closest you get to a frame.
and what isn't rusted is crunched all to hell. wow...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

thats a unibody C channel. closest you get to a frame.
and what isn't rusted is crunched all to hell. wow...

Yeah that's no good. If you can get $4500 for the car, that sounds like a drat good way to get out from under that.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

You won't regret it. Just make sure you bring someone to really inspect it, or bring it to a mechanic before buying forget about buying a Nissan in the midwest and bring one back from outside the nation's rust belt

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ruh-roh, Raggy. :ohdear:

Edit:

Sperglord Firecock posted:

there's a guy down the street at Steak & Shake that might give me a solid $4000, maybe $4500 for it,
Ok, rip his bloody arm off!

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 23, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Paint that poo poo black and only show it at night.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

What a perfect end to the saga that is this thread has become. Another testament to the lying nature of PO's and Sperg's lazyness.

Echoing it again, Run. Run far. Run fast. And that would have been really really easy to see if you had just looked underneath the car before picking it up, or at least asked for pictures of the underside.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It amazes me that people take the POs word for things easily checked by "looking at it".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

It amazes me that people take the POs word for things easily checked by "looking at it".

Guy that bought my 190 asked if it leaked. i said nope.

He never even bothered to look under it.

(front main blew, coating the underside in oil)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Crustashio posted:

Hey man, we were all young and dumb before. Part of the reason my right quarter panel had a date with a guard rail is because I didn't bother to verify that the "new tires!" were not, in fact, mismatched 15-year-old tires. Learned that lesson in a hurry.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I forgot how much you paid for it but if you get out of this with under a thousand bucks lost then you should consider yourself super lucky

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Welp, if I can at least get 3,000 for it, that means I can get that exact duplicate (except not fuckered up) from NE Indiana and I even get to keep the thread title as I work with that car, probably with a Turbo conversion that won't end up ruining the vehicle.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rscott posted:

I forgot how much you paid for it but if you get out of this with under a thousand bucks lost then you should consider yourself super lucky

Mine isn't a shitbox, thank you very much. IT IS A PERFORMANCE DRIVING MACHINE that I may have bought for only $4.5k. >.>

Seriously, this thing drives lightyears better than my last car.
Now when you say lightyears better....

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
It still drives amazing.

It's just in danger of having the entire thing collapse if I drive it too hard, which is obviously, uh.... Bad.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

Now when you say lightyears better....

Its because of the mad tyte chassis flex.

Don't remove the Targas!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Its because of the mad tyte chassis flex.

Don't remove the Targas!

I wonder if I should just make the CL ad some silly mockery of traditional CL ads. On the other hand, if I do that, someone might get angry at me on these forums.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
yeah I'd be talking to the dude at the steak and shake tomorrow
e: Tell him the car was too fast for you or something, which is probably actually true tbh

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I already have his number and when he works next.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
As a Canadian it loving baffles me that you could drop 5k on a car without lying down and looking underneath it. I probably looked at 10-12 different cars before I bought the mr2. Getting under the car and punching the driver's side floor to check for softness, using a flashlight to look at the underside of the shock towers, taking out the spare tire to look for rot are all steps you should be taking if you live in a region that salts its roads.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I too almost bought a turbo z car but I did like twss said and put two fingers clean through the floor boards straight into the carpet. poo poo was like paper mache

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Yes, I know, i made a dumb mistake. We all make dumb mistakes when we're young and wanna go fast.

I'll learn from it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You should get a turbo'd gen III supra next.

No, Seriously.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Isn't the Gen III the Not Fast and Furious kind, and thus people don't beat them to everloving poo poo?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yep.

I had 3. they're big heavy fuckers with decent predictable handling and decent brakes. the turbo gives it juuust enough power to be fun too.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
To be honest, the one car that I wanted more than anything else was an AE86, but finding one of those in the Chicagoland area without structural problems.... Hoo boy, now that would be a challenge.

Again, worst case scenario, $2500 gets me the exact same year, color, and type of car that I already have except N/A instead of (shittily put in aftermarket) Turbo.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Isn't the Gen III the Not Fast and Furious kind, and thus people don't beat them to everloving poo poo?

People around Chicago BUTCHER those poor supras. best body style too. but there are some out there to be found in your price range. just lemme know and I will come with to look at the car.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/4850518402.html

This is the one I'm referring to.

The main thing I am vaguely terrified about is if there is a Digital Dash in it.

Because holy gently caress that's just asking for trouble.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Digital dashes are awes...holy poo poo its missing half the dash.

DUDE NO.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
where's all the hvac poo poo?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its there at the top. Everything else is missing though. holy poo poo.

E: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/4848539095.html

awww yisssss

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 23, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

To be honest, the one car that I wanted more than anything else was an AE86, but finding one of those in the Chicagoland area without structural problems.... Hoo boy, now that would be a challenge.

What do you think an 80s corolla will do you for you that a miata won't other than anime?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
an AE86 has marginally more utility, after all it's delivering tofu :colbert:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

rscott posted:

an AE86 has marginally more utility, after all it's delivering tofu :colbert:

Pretty much having a trunk.

A Miata isn't out of the question at this point, TBH. Fun little zippy car I can throw around corners. Won't win any awards for looks, but hey.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I suggest you get a Maserati Biturbo, i need the excitement.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

fjelltorsk posted:

I suggest you get a Maserati Biturbo, i need the excitement.

Dear lord no, I'm not that stupid. I'm plenty stupid, I will acknowledge that, but not Biturbo stupid.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
If you throw the rear seats down a hatchback gts has a good amount of room but having owned both I can say the Miata is way more pleasant to drive.

Glad to hear you are selling it. Learning to wrench on a car that is in good shape and running is way more fun and cheaper in the long run. If I were you I'd start searching for cars in Texas or New Mexico or even California. The internet is great, you can arrange an inspection and pay for it without being there and then fly or train out and drive back over a long weekend or just get it shipped.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seriously, Sperg, if you want a good vintage Japanese car, start looking in California (SF Bay, LA) and the PacNW (Seattle, etc). PacNW for old Mazdas especially.

The Chicagoland area is no place to look for an old car, much less an old Japanese car.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Professor Bling posted:

Seriously, Sperg, if you want a good vintage Japanese car, start looking in California (SF Bay, LA) and the PacNW (Seattle, etc). PacNW for old Mazdas especially.

The Chicagoland area is no place to look for an old car, much less an old Japanese car.

Welp, figured that one out a little too late, unfortunately.

If anyone wants to do me a favor and look at some cars that I pick out in the SF Bay/LA/Seattle area, I'll see what I can do to pay you back. Bonus points if it's in Portland, because I can fly out there, visit my aunt, and drive the car back.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4856504686.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4837550858.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4842640134.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4850585276.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4831300833.html

30 second search brings back the sf oddballs.

E: more!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4848215144.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/4834541883.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4854927135.html

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"Oh god 57 new posts since this afternoon."

Let me know if you want me to take a look at any local cars with you, Sperge.

• Locked thread