Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Stalins Moustache posted:

Someone just recommended me to take slicing, biochem and diplomacy as a good way to earn fast credits. Is this true?

slicing yes, the other two not quite as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I could also use an invite. Character name Aneis.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Blhue posted:

slicing yes, the other two not quite as much.

Currently level 30, no idea what professions to get :( Help me, what's the most effective ones to earn a quick spacebuck?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Currently level 30, no idea what professions to get :( Help me, what's the most effective ones to earn a quick spacebuck?

while leveling, scavenging is good since its materials are used by 3 different crafting skills so they're always in demand at lower levels, but peters out at the top end. Slicing is good but only really at the top level, as its materials are only used for crafting augments which no one but retards do outside of level cap. Underworld trading is pretty good throughout (but strongest at cap), as it produces the blue/purple mats for both armormech and cybertech (and also synthweaving but eh).

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Someone just recommended me to take slicing, biochem and diplomacy as a good way to earn fast credits. Is this true?

slicing, yes. the other two not sure. There's a good guide linked in the OP.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Underworld trading purples seem to sell well, at least at low levels (currently at 200 UT). At level 20, I have about 350,000 credits.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm not really trying to lead a mass exodus or anything. If people are having a good time with SWTOR, then they should play SWTOR. It's a fun game with lots to recommend it, and the leveling experience is unmatched in current MMOs.

I've simply been playing since launch, consuming content faster than they can produce it, and there's just not a lot left for me. I've done all the stories, leveled all the classes, run all the raids and dungeons, gotten all the datacrons (several times), and I don't feel any motivation to log in right now without any particular goal or task to work on. I couldn't even bring myself to level another character during the 12x XP period, since it was all just stuff I've covered before. The new expansion has a neat enough story, but once I've done it once, the endgame consists of doing it again seven more times and running the same 4 or 5 instances ad nauseam.

Ever since the intial drop-off after launch, the guild has struggled to maintain an active roster. We saw cycle after cycle of people leveling to 50, running a few raids, then disappearing forever. Heck, that's how I got into the regular raid group, by being 50 and online when they needed filler. Through the years, we had a handful of stalwarts who dwindled one by one. Recruiting replacements was difficult because folks would be hitting 50 one or two at a time, and if we didn't have a raid opening there wasn't much incentive for them to hang around. None of the people I started playing the game with are around anymore, and the last few times I've tried to drum up interest in something involved waiting around an hour or more to see if anyone else was logging on before falling apart from lack of bodies. I'd be down to show up and do stuff, but I'm not going to waste my time like that.

My subscription is paid up for another 4 months or so, and I'm probably going to keep renewing just because, so I'm available if anything needs doing. I also keep up with the thread because, like Medullah, my job involves lots of downtime at my desk.

Basically, I didn't quit playing this because FF14 is the most amazing thing ever, but more because it has new stuff to do. I have no doubt I'll hit saturation point on it eventually and wander off to something else. It's just the nature of the beast that people can play games faster than developers can create them.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

I'm not really trying to lead a mass exodus or anything. If people are having a good time with SWTOR, then they should play SWTOR. It's a fun game with lots to recommend it, and the leveling experience is unmatched in current MMOs.

I've simply been playing since launch, consuming content faster than they can produce it, and there's just not a lot left for me. I've done all the stories, leveled all the classes, run all the raids and dungeons, gotten all the datacrons (several times), and I don't feel any motivation to log in right now without any particular goal or task to work on. I couldn't even bring myself to level another character during the 12x XP period, since it was all just stuff I've covered before. The new expansion has a neat enough story, but once I've done it once, the endgame consists of doing it again seven more times and running the same 4 or 5 instances ad nauseam.

Ever since the intial drop-off after launch, the guild has struggled to maintain an active roster. We saw cycle after cycle of people leveling to 50, running a few raids, then disappearing forever. Heck, that's how I got into the regular raid group, by being 50 and online when they needed filler. Through the years, we had a handful of stalwarts who dwindled one by one. Recruiting replacements was difficult because folks would be hitting 50 one or two at a time, and if we didn't have a raid opening there wasn't much incentive for them to hang around. None of the people I started playing the game with are around anymore, and the last few times I've tried to drum up interest in something involved waiting around an hour or more to see if anyone else was logging on before falling apart from lack of bodies. I'd be down to show up and do stuff, but I'm not going to waste my time like that.

My subscription is paid up for another 4 months or so, and I'm probably going to keep renewing just because, so I'm available if anything needs doing. I also keep up with the thread because, like Medullah, my job involves lots of downtime at my desk.

Basically, I didn't quit playing this because FF14 is the most amazing thing ever, but more because it has new stuff to do. I have no doubt I'll hit saturation point on it eventually and wander off to something else. It's just the nature of the beast that people can play games faster than developers can create them.

That and there's several hundred people over there. Not to mention a reasonably reliable 3 month content drop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

That and there's several hundred people over there.

This tbh is the most important thing for me.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I need an invite on my alt Fredrika too~

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if they don't add something substantive in the next month or so I'll probably jump ship to FFXIV or something else.

There's just nothing else to do that I haven't done before.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

hobbesmaster posted:

The HM flashpoints aren't bad.

Major Imos is getting better as people learn the mechanics. Still haven't come close to a PUG downing the AUX in Manaan. I still try 2-3 times whenever it comes up because I love the mechanics and think it's a pretty fun fight, regardless that I've never downed it.

Sometimes R9X screws up groups, rarely. Korriban/Lehon/Manaan are super easy otherwise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vriess posted:

Major Imos is getting better as people learn the mechanics. Still haven't come close to a PUG downing the AUX in Manaan. I still try 2-3 times whenever it comes up because I love the mechanics and think it's a pretty fun fight, regardless that I've never downed it.

Sometimes R9X screws up groups, rarely. Korriban/Lehon/Manaan are super easy otherwise.

As gear levels go up eventually everyone will wonder how they ever had trouble with the fights just like the last two sets of HMs.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
goodbye friends, i have moved to shadowlands to do progression like the sad pathetic nerd i am

i'm keeping thumbtacks here so i can do fun raids with you guys though

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I need a higher rank on my alt so I can invite my second alt on my main account, first world problems.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Me and my brother will be staying around for at least 6 months. This and 14 (after relaunch) are the funnest MMOs I have played since RIFT. Both are really good games, and the only reason I am sticking with tor for now is because I need something I can bond with my family over.

If you have a sibling or friend who loves star wars, you should absolutely play this together.

That being said, is the TS info for the guild still accurate? I haven't picked up a new headset yet, so I haven't used it. If we don't have one I can set up some kind of voice chat.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Secret Spoon posted:

That being said, is the TS info for the guild still accurate? I haven't picked up a new headset yet, so I haven't used it. If we don't have one I can set up some kind of voice chat.

The server info in the guild description in-game is correct and current, but I wouldn't expect to see anyone in there unless an organized event is going on.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Yeah i've just done a 60-day resub but haven't really been getting on much. The game seems to have lost something with 3.0, or maybe it's just burnout from the 12xp and doing the SoR content a few times (or maybe it's all the stuff i bought during the christmas steam sale). I've only completed SoR and hit 60 on Nacho and Chile, Taco is still sitting at 55 and Pollo'loco is at 57 although i took him out of the guild to free up some room.

For now i'll keep my sub active and occasionally log on to muck about and keep my toons in the guild.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
All I can say is that the worst day of watching everyone fall to their death hunting datacrons is better than the best day of levelling in FFXIV.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

NOT to stir dissent or contribute to an exodus, but there do seem to be goons posting in the thread that have a more updated feel of the current and upcoming MMOs out there. I never tried PVP in FFXIV, and never played newer poo poo like Wildstar, TERA, or TESO.

I know some people hate SWTOR PVP with a passion, but I enjoy warzones and getting rewarded for it. If what I like is instanced PVP with gear progression, is there actually anything better than SWTOR?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

TERA had some pretty good PVP back when I played. 3v3 arenas were super fun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mehrunes posted:

All I can say is that the worst day of watching everyone fall to their death hunting datacrons is better than the best day of levelling in FFXIV.

Leveling in this game was pretty miserable during and before the launch of f2p.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mehrunes posted:

... what? Levelling in FFXIV is really really easy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KaneTW posted:

... what? Levelling in FFXIV is really really easy.

Easy but very dull and boring. I've tried FFXIV for about 3 months since A Realm Reborn launched, and I just don't get what people see in that game. It's painfully boring.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I said come in! posted:

Easy but very dull and boring. I've tried FFXIV for about 3 months since A Realm Reborn launched, and I just don't get what people see in that game. It's painfully boring.

I can see why someone just picking it up would find it boring as hell, as many classes take /forever/ to really come into their own. Especially if you tried lancer as your first class. :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thinking about playing this kind of casually again after what seems like several years away. I know you guys and gals are leaving the game in pretty good numbers, but if someone could shed some light on a few questions, I would appreciate it:

1) How has 3.0 been received?
2) Did 3.0 address ability bloat or is that still a thing? I mostly played a Sentinel / Marauder and it was keyboard gymnastics worthy of instant carpal tunnel syndrome. I resorted to autohotkey to mitigate the keypresses and I would really not like to have to do that again.
3) What is the easy button lightsaber class these days?
4) How bad is mudflation?

What server are people on? Still as listed in the OP? Also, if somebody wants to duo up, let me know. I usually will be playing from about 9pm to maybe 1030-1100pm CST.

Thanks!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If any inviters are on tonight, I could use an invite on Nyqui. Thank you kindly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Conduit for Sale! posted:

If any inviters are on tonight, I could use an invite on Nyqui. Thank you kindly.

Oedzi you might want to make it so ensigns can invite heh, I know all the Admirals are gone (except Symala and Seb'reene?) and I think Majors are few and far between.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

oh im a major

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I cant invite you if you are offline however.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, a major JERK

HAHAHA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tide posted:

Thinking about playing this kind of casually again after what seems like several years away. I know you guys and gals are leaving the game in pretty good numbers, but if someone could shed some light on a few questions, I would appreciate it:

1) How has 3.0 been received?
2) Did 3.0 address ability bloat or is that still a thing? I mostly played a Sentinel / Marauder and it was keyboard gymnastics worthy of instant carpal tunnel syndrome. I resorted to autohotkey to mitigate the keypresses and I would really not like to have to do that again.
3) What is the easy button lightsaber class these days?
4) How bad is mudflation?

What server are people on? Still as listed in the OP? Also, if somebody wants to duo up, let me know. I usually will be playing from about 9pm to maybe 1030-1100pm CST.

Thanks!

1. It was generally well received at first, however both raids have major brick walls in the 2nd boss in story mode that prevent pick up groups from completing and the hard modes flashpoints don't drop anything.
2. Ability bloat is worse by an ability.
3. Probably sorc. (you did specify saber right)
4. Not too insane, there was a dps reset and the highest end old gear is what drops off the new flashpoints.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm tired of the Imperials for a while, and want to play my first ever Republic character. What's a good storyline/relatively pain free class to play on that side? My main on the Imp side is a Sorceror, so I kind of want to avoid the Consular...or the Sage, at the very least.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Devorum posted:

I'm tired of the Imperials for a while, and want to play my first ever Republic character. What's a good storyline/relatively pain free class to play on that side? My main on the Imp side is a Sorceror, so I kind of want to avoid the Consular...or the Sage, at the very least.

Credit-side Smuggler is pretty great, you get to be smarmy and do whatever gets the most money, which ends up being mostly Dark Side stuff. Heck I just finished the Gunslinger story today. You're a turret as a Gunslinger, but stuff just dies so fast.

Trooper is good too, I played an LS Commando myself. The story is about what you'd expect. You're an elite soldier, so go kick rear end and do soldier things.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Jedi Knight is your bog standard "chosen one" storyline, however it can be fun to roll dark side, though at the end you get denied a Jedi Master title by the council for being evil..

Smuggler is just as snarky as you'd like. Chasing credits and all. Consular is more righteous quest bullshit and commando is basically mass effect in Star Wars.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

A super pro republic trooper is fun. Do whatever it takes, FOR THE REPUBLIC.

Once you are done with Nar Shaddaa, you get M4-1X, the best companion in the game (if you play as said pro republic trooper). He will cheer on you while you steal the supplies from the civilians and give them to your troops. Vanguard or commando is up to you, vanguard is melee and can tank, commando is ranged and can heal, both can dps.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah, a major JERK

HAHAHA

That just makes me a major disappointment...

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

koreban posted:

Jedi Knight is your bog standard "chosen one" storyline, however it can be fun to roll dark side, though at the end you get denied a Jedi Master title by the council for being evil..

That was only during the Beta. Originally only LS became 'Master', while DS became 'General'. However, thousands of nerds wrote thousands of pages of complaints to BioWare, causing the decision to be reversed. Now both LS and DS become 'Master', and the 'General' title was removed.

The same thing happened with Sith Warriros who, originally, were going to get the title of 'Emperor's Wrath' rather than Darth (which was to be Inquisitor only). Spergin' nerds got a-spergin', and BioWare caved... etc

OzCavalier fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 24, 2015

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

OzCavalier posted:

The same thing happened with Sith Warriros who, originally, were going to get the title of 'Emperor's Wrath' rather than Darth (which was to be Inquisitor only). Spergin' nerds got a-spergin', and BioWare caved... etc

Darth is a way cooler title though. Especially with how the game's story is such that anyone directly working for the Emperor is a titanic idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Me too, although I've done nothing to deserve it except be a TNG member for a long time. So thanks, whoever promoted me at some point in time!

Also I didn't even know I could send people invites as a major because it was never clear to me what rank conferred which powers. So if anyone wants an invite I guess they can send Loveboat a whisper.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Once you are done with Nar Shaddaa, you get M4-1X, the best companion in the game (if you play as said pro republic trooper).
I love that indefatigably patriotic and optimistic droid.

• Locked thread