Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

open24hours posted:

Nice, clear, easy to read graphs in the Productivity Commission report.
I am reconsidering my opposition to the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

gay picnic defence posted:

That mirrors what I've seen in the Riverland with fruit picking. Lots of people turning up their noses at nearby work because its too hard, and lots of farmers turning up their noses at the locals because they're bogans or druggos.

It's less to do with turning up noses and more to do with the article being poo poo.

Tyrells a wanker, and Margan is even worse. Most pickers make 50$ a day in hand, They make more 'per hour' but it goes straight to the guy contracting them for 'food and board'. I haven't worked in the hunter wine industry in a few years but I doubt it has changed much. Hell, a bunch of permanent staff are underpaid too, and the vague award wording doesn't help.

My buddy was hired recently to manage a cellar door. He was let go when he tried to move the stuff that was getting stolen a lot into sight of the staff, and to invoice all the stock. The owners wanted nothing on record anywhere. It's all corrupt as gently caress out there.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 22, 2015

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Helen Razer has grunted out another desperate attempt to generate relevance over on Crikey - apparently page 3 girls are just fine.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/01/22/razers-class-warfare-tits-on-page-3-are-not-oppressing-you/

I don't have the full text, sorry, but I bet it's full of two-dollar words and edgy contrarian opinions yawn gently caress off.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

CobiWann posted:

Hey, all. I was directed here because I just wrote up a review for the Doctor Who thread in TV IV about an audio story called Dreamtime. The audio used ideas and concepts from Aboriginal mythology (hence the name), and even though I wouldn't recommend the story itself to anyone, it did pique my interest about Aboriginal mythology and the Dreaming.

Could anyone here recommend some books on the topic? I'm looking more for the actual myths and stories themselves, though any academic discussion about Aboriginal mythology would be appreciated at well.

Not Indigenous Australian or by any means an authority on this, but I've had a similar interest in this area in the past and I think I can help somewhat. I have some good news and some bad news for you.

There are quite a few books out there on myths and stories as well as analysis, but unfortunately you’ll be hard pressed to find a book of that nature that doesn’t a) have some new age bent, or b) have zero Indigenous Australians actually involved in writing down and/or analysing the stories. Indigenous Australian culture remains largely oral-based, so aside from the ethical issues of how authors even collected these stories and whether or not they were published with consent (I’m particularly thinking of those collected by early settlers), there’s also the issue of transcribing and reading stories that were never meant to be experienced in that manner. They’re basically being pulled out of their cultural context. Given the way Indigenous Australian culture and traditions have been (well, still are, really) degraded by white society, most communities are very protective of their traditions. Any steps taken to approach Indigenous Australians’ culture on their terms are good steps. For a lot of people this means that you won’t have access to those myths full stop.
Granted, you can find many books written by Indigenous Australians that are geared towards outsiders and detail more broader aspects of their particular culture and spiritual traditions, and which usually have something to say about the Dreaming and the stories that are relevant to their people. You can also find books written about specific myths, but they're invariably geared towards children. If you're content with a more general book, this one is excellent. Creative Spirits is also a pretty reputable site and has more book recommendations and other information you might find interesting :)

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
http://www.smh.com.au/national/david-hicks-terrorism-charges-us-admits-he-is-innocent-20150122-12vzke.html

quote:

David Hicks terrorism charges: US admits he is innocent

The quashing of David Hicks' terrorism conviction is 'one step away' says his lawyer.

The US government has admitted that former Guantanamo Bay detainee David Hicks is innocent and his conviction in 2007 for providing material support for terrorism is invalid.

Mr Hicks' appeal case against the "invented" crime had been told that the US government does not dispute that he is innocent of any offence and his conviction was not correct in fact or law, his lawyer, Stephen Kenny of Camatta Lempens, told Fairfax Media.

Mr Kenny said that the quashing of his conviction is now only one step away.

"We are hoping that the military commission will make a ruling within a month," Mr Kenny said.

Mr Kenny said the case mirrored that of a former Sudanese Guantanamo Bay detainee Noor Muhammed – who was also convicted of providing material support for terrorism who had charges against him dropped and his conviction withdrawn this month. Like Mr Hicks, he had signed an Alford plea which meant he did not make any admissions but would not be able to appeal his conviction at a later stage.

He said the Military Commission set aside Mr Muhammed's conviction and plea waiver and he expected the same to happen in Mr Hicks case.

Mr Hicks said he was hoping at last to see justice done.

"I did not commit any crime and I only pleaded guilty in an Alford plea agreement to escape the indefinite solitary confinement I was suffering in Guantanamo Bay. I am just sorry it has taken so long to clear my name."

Mr Hicks was captured in Afghanistan in late 2001 and turned over to the US, before being taken to Guantanamo Bay in the first batch of prisoners to be incarcerated there. He was held for five-and-a-half years before being convinced to give an Alford plea – which is not recognised in Australia.

The plea deal was that he would be convicted in the US of providing material support for terrorism but would be allowed to return to Australia and serve a seven-month prison sentence. He was also gagged from speaking for one year.

The news comes a week after the 13th anniversary of the opening of Guantanamo Bay. Mr Hicks was one of the first detainees transferred there.

The detention centre still holds 127 men who have not been charged or faced trial. Among them is Hambali, one of the men alleged to have been involved in the 2002 Bali bombings. He has been held since 2006 as a so-called high-value detainee but has not been charged.

Since it opened, the organisation Close Guantanamo said that 779 prisoners have been held there. Of those, 642 have been released or transferred, one was transferred to the US to be tried, and nine have died, the most recent being Adnan Latif, in September 2012. Of the 127 remaining detainees 55 men, were cleared for release five years ago by President Barack Obama's Guantanamo Review Task Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyl5H5a09f0

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Crossposting from the D&D Chat thread: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/01/17/this-indoor-farm-is-100-times-more-productive-than.aspx

Could be interesting as a way of reducing water consumption and improve food availability in rural areas?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

At least this means he can keep profits from any books he writes on the topic rather than have it stolen as proceeds of crime. That's a win right?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Walking past a storefront a tv news ticker says the US has announced that David Hicks us innocent!?

Did anybody catch Brandis' apology? I wonder if it'll be a press release or if he'll read a statement.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gay picnic defence posted:

That mirrors what I've seen in the Riverland with fruit picking. Lots of people turning up their noses at nearby work because its too hard, and lots of farmers turning up their noses at the locals because they're bogans or druggos.

I can echo this - lived up there for a while and my family still does.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

katlington posted:

Did anybody catch Brandis' apology? I wonder if it'll be a press release or if he'll read a statement.

As if that will ever happen.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I just learned that my favorite legal high concoction, which was manufactured in Australia, got banned in early 2014 because of some new retarded draconian law that the Liberals passed. Does anyone have more information about this? I thought I escaped the poo poo that is Tony Abbott by living on the other side of the world but nope.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jagchosis posted:

I just learned that my favorite legal high concoction, which was manufactured in Australia, got banned in early 2014 because of some new retarded draconian law that the Liberals passed. Does anyone have more information about this? I thought I escaped the poo poo that is Tony Abbott by living on the other side of the world but nope.

You'll need to be more specific but we've had analogue laws for a long time now. VB is still available if you hate life that much.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

IslamoNazi posted:

You'll need to be more specific but we've had analogue laws for a long time now. VB is still available if you hate life that much.

It wasn't an analogue of anything, it was an "herbal" blend that happens to feel almost exactly like MDMA. The store clerk said it was something about marketing the substance as having an effect on people, I didn't fully understand all the details because this was over the phone, but I did hear that the law was passed in January 2014.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

katlington posted:

You're talking about a guy whose response to questions he doesn't want to answer is to literally act like he can't hear them. I'd be shocked if he acknowledges it at all.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Alan Jones is being sued for defamation by Campbell newman

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The gift that keeps giving. So many tories do this, I've lost count.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LMAO and Jeff Seeney. "MAKE IT STOPPP"

new matilda fan service

quote:

The same scientific theory also means that somewhere in the multiverse there is a rising political star named Scott Morrison. At some time, he rolled a fading star called Tony Abbott, to become the Australian Prime Minister.

In that multiverse, Morrison’s policies on asylum seekers were so heartless and cruel that they made a former immigration minister named Philip Ruddock appear to almost have a heartbeat. But he won the top job anyway.

DUN DUN DUNNNN.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Anidav posted:

The gift that keeps giving. So many tories do this, I've lost count.

It's amazing, they're so precious. Having just finished reading Gillards book I'm amazed she hasn't taken the same action. Says a lot really.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WHAAAAAAA! NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT ME! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
cryingbaby.jpg

-Campbell Newmanbaby

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
LEADERSHIP SPECULATION

quote:

Backbenchers are so fed up with the PM’s backflips, they’re even talking about Malcolm Turnbull as the man who might save the government.

Luck's been elusive in 2015. Abbott's first talk-back caller on Neil Mitchell's top-rating 3AW radio program was from a self-described "through-and-through" Liberal supporter named Andrew.

"I've got to be honest and truthful with you, Mr Prime Minster, you're on the nose with Liberal voters and that's a real concern to me because I don't want to see you give the keys to Bill Shorten at the Lodge … I have got to tell you, you are the world's worst salesman, Prime Minister," he said.

"What is the specific problem, is there a policy thing you don't agree with?", Abbott inquired.

"Prime Minister, it's the way you do things, like the Medicare thing, with the education, you've done so many backflips, people don't know where you are going and business is saying there are roadblocks because there is no direction and no leadership … as a Liberal voter, I don't particularly like you," Andrew replied.

Ouch!

"Yes it has been a messy start," intoned one of Tony Abbott's ministers wearily amid nascent leadership chatter. The year had barely started when a plan "B" slashing the Medicare payment to GPs by $20 for short consultations, had been summarily abandoned on the eve of its commencement.

And since then, a senior source wanted it known the idea of the cut had been the Prime Minister's from the start. Health Minister Peter Dutton had argued forcefully against it in Cabinet's Expenditure Review Committee, and been backed by Joe Hockey, but they were overruled. The leak was telling.

Just like the friendless $7 per-patient co-payment barnacle it had partly replaced, the short-consult penalty was suddenly "off the table". Once again, the government had sustained serious political damage for zero budgetary gain. Not for the first time, backbenchers were flummoxed.

What was going on? Had Abbott learnt the lessons of a woeful 2014 and replaced his legendary stubbornness with a new fleet-footed pragmatism? Perhaps, but a blunter interpretation saw only a triple defeat – a backflip from what had already been a backflip which had only been necessary in the first place because of a politically toxic broken promise, which was never sold to voters.

Abbott wanted more than anything to begin the game afresh having tied off the least productive fights as unwinnable. Last year had ended in desultory fashion characterised by a series of grudging half-retreats – the kind that left the government carrying both the humiliation of admitting its errors while still being lumbered with elements of the primary problem.

The Prime Minister had assured colleagues his pre-Christmas clean-up would facilitate a repositioning in the new year. Yet 2015 has commenced amid confusion at least as severe. Now, the "judgment" word is being muttered.

The horror for many Liberals, and the danger for Abbott is that it is in the heartland where disillusionment with the government seems at its strongest. MPs say they are picking up genuine anger within their own membership.

Abbott is well aware his leadership has entered its most fraught period, having already been forced to address the question before Christmas. "I think the one fundamental lesson of the last catastrophic government was that you don't lightly change leaders," he had told reporters. He was at it again on Thursday when asked on 3AW if he was aware of "increasing speculation" that he would consider stepping down if the problems continued?

"Yeah that's nonsense, absolute nonsense," he said. "… you do not change leaders; you rally behind someone and you stick to the plan."

Yet the very fact that the PM is having to field such questions when he is trying to talk about other matters, speaks to his situation. Colleagues wonder anyway what the plan is given that it keeps changing.

A working assumption in Canberra has held that Abbott's leadership is more secure than a Labor leader faced with the same problems. First, Liberals are culturally less inclined than Labor to embrace the percussive brutality needed to tear down a prime minister. In addition, the Coalition witnessed up-close in 2010 what voters thought about knifing a sitting PM and would simply not flirt with that. Yet another interpretation of the tumultuous events of 2010 is that they not so much reinforced the rules, as tossed them out. Hence forth, anything is possible in politics.

What is undeniable is that murmurings have started and that cracks are appearing in the government facade. On Tuesday, The Australian splashed with a story beginning "Joe Hockey has ruled out any backdown on government plans to deregulate university fees …"

The very next day, the Oz's splash read: "The Abbott government is preparing to sacrifice up to $2 billion in budget savings in a bid to regain momentum and kick off the new year with a much-needed political victory on higher education reform". Same government. Same subject. And yet completely contradictory positions.

For the first time since 2009 when he was bundled out of the leadership, Malcolm Turnbull's name is being mentioned positively by influential figures on the party's right
– something that was inconceivable not so long ago.

Asked if conservatives really would consider lining up behind the moderate Turnbull now, one right-wing figure said events had already gone beyond left-right divisions.

In reality, Abbott probably has more time than his critics claim and plans to forge ahead using a National Press Club address on February 2 to chart the course for his political year.

But heavy weather externally is no longer his only existential threat. Now he must be alive to the threat of mutiny as well.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Julian Burnside, The Drum posted:

There is not much doubt that our treatment of asylum seekers in Manus constitutes a crime against humanity. This is a matter of legal analysis, not political rhetoric. The hard facts about the horrific conditions on Manus Island that I've outlined above may not be enough to shock us, but the one thing that really might shock us is to see Abbott, Morrison and Dutton prosecuted in the International Criminal Court for those crimes. That's a pro bono case I would gladly prosecute.

Bring it loving on. I was just reading another excellent New Matilda piece how Brandis et. al. love throwing about the Magna Carta unless it affects someone whose visa you've thrown away so you can lock them up indefinitely.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
They're introducing plain packaging laws in the UK. This is the kind of thing being spread around in response:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can someone avatarize that loving koala on a cigarette?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Amethyst posted:

They're introducing plain packaging laws in the UK. This is the kind of thing being spread around in response:

I loved it when the report came out. The tobacco lobbyist had to argue that plain packaging was increasing smoking (which is good for them because of more profits) and that plain packaging was a bad thing. Money would be on this coming from that one complete bullshit report that mediawatch debunked completely within a few days.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Amethyst posted:

[citation needed]

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Amethyst posted:

i'm the cool kid wearing the cap saying "yes!"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can't Jones just say "look, it's just like, my opinion man"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

who even listens to Alan Jones anyway?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zenithe posted:

I loved it when the report came out. The tobacco lobbyist had to argue that plain packaging was increasing smoking (which is good for them because of more profits) and that plain packaging was a bad thing. Money would be on this coming from that one complete bullshit report that mediawatch debunked completely within a few days.

This is the report it cites: http://www.aihw.gov.au/alcohol-and-other-drugs/ndshs/2013/tobacco/
And the context that data point appears in:

quote:

Among people aged 14 and older, daily smoking declined significantly between 2010 and 2013 (from 15.1% to 12.8%). Daily smoking rates have almost halved since 1991 (24.3%).

People aged 40–49 were the age group most likely to smoke daily (16.2%).

People aged 18–49 were far less likely to smoke daily than they were 12 years ago, but over the same period, there was little change in daily smoking by people aged 60 or older.

Proportion of 12–17 year olds who had never smoked remained high in 2013 at 95%, and the proportion of 18–24 year olds who had never smoked increased significantly between 2010 and 2013 (from 72% to 77%).

Younger people are delaying the take up of smoking—the age at which 14–24-year-olds smoked their first full cigarette increased from 14.2 in 1995 to 15.9 years in 2013.

Smokers reduced the average number of cigarettes smoked per week; from 111 cigarettes in 2010 to 96 in 2013. Smokers aged 50–69 continued to smoke the largest number of cigarettes per week on average (about 120), nearly double the number for smokers in their 20s (about 75).
About 1 in 6 smokers had smoked unbranded tobacco in their lifetime although only 3.6% currently smoked it, declining from previous years.

Pretty hilariously blatant example of cherry picking.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Leo Showers posted:

who even listens to Alan Jones anyway?

From 2006 - http://www.tai.org.au/documents/downloads/WP100.pdf

quote:

Alan Jones is considered the ‘king’ of breakfast radio in Australia. There is a
widespread belief amongst Australia’s political elites that Jones can decide elections.
Drawing on demographic and attitudinal data from an extensive survey by Roy
Morgan Research, this study examines the characteristics of Alan Jones listeners and
compares them with all Australians over 14. It seeks to uncover whether the extent
and composition of Jones’ audience is congruent with his perceived influence.

The typical Jones listener is an older Australian - 68 per cent are over 50 compared to
37 per cent of the entire population over 14. By income his listeners tend to be
concentrated in two groups – pensioners and others with incomes around the average.
The typical Jones listener is also substantially more likely to be religious than other
Australians. Only 10 per cent of Jones listeners say they have no religious affiliation
compared to 26 per cent of other Australians.

In their attitudes, Jones’ listeners are much more conservative than other Australians.
For example, 77 per cent of his listeners believe that the fundamental values of ‘our
society’ are under threat compared to 66 per cent of all Australians. They are also less
likely to believe that Aboriginal culture is an essential component of Australian
society.

They are also more likely to favour heterosexual families in which children are
disciplined and taught respect for authority. Strikingly, only 13 per cent of Jones’
listeners believe in adoption rights for homosexual couples compared to 37 per cent of
the general population.

Jones’ frequent beating of the law and order drum mirrors the fearfulness of his
listeners. Sixty-eight per cent say they feel less safe than they used to, compared to 49
per cent of all Australians, and they are more likely to believe that crime is growing.
Perhaps the largest difference between Jones’ listeners and other Australians is the
extent of their support for the Coalition Government. While 47 per cent of Australians
say that the Government is doing a good job running the country, fully 75 per cent of
Jones’ listeners agree. Not surprisingly, their voting patterns match this expressed
support for the Government. They are twice as likely as other Australians to vote for
the Federal Coalition with 65 per cent saying they give their first preference to the
Liberal Party.

The evidence presented in this paper indicates that perceptions of Jones’ influence and
political sway are disproportionate to the size and nature of his audience. His listeners
are much more conservative and authoritarian in their views than other Australians.
His audience is small - about the same as a low-rating television program - and
highly concentration among older listeners with well-established and inflexible
political allegiances. This suggests that his influence is based more on networking and
fear of on-air criticism than a real ability to shift votes.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

oh so basically Jones' demographic is the cancer that's killing us all.

pretty nice to know i guess, i'm glad i don't know anyone who pays any attention to his poo poo opinions

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...eb11b933da88868

quote:

Socialist? Not I, says new ALP boss

NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley has declared himself to be a centrist Labor leader in the Wran-Hawke-Keating tradition who believes the private sector is the engine of growth, not big government, and he has called for the party’s century-long commitment to socialism to be dumped.

In contrast to other state Labor leaders, notably Annastacia Palaszczuk, who is offering Queensland voters a traditional Labor platform ahead of the January 31 state election, Mr Foley says he will “champion an enterprising private sector” but only an “essential public sector” — both “working side-by-side”.

Mr Foley’s agenda of Labor modernisation also sees him break with his former Labor Left colleagues in calling for the party’s commitment to democratic socialism, adopted in 1921, to be replaced with a new mission statement to animate the party’s modern purpose.

“I don’t think it costs Labor a vote at elections, but I think we should review it and revise it,” Mr Foley told The Australian in an exclusive interview.

“The Labor Party should say what we mean and mean what we say. We should have a mission statement for the party that in the first instance speaks to our values and, secondly, puts a contemporary policy framework around those values.”

“I see Labor’s timeless values as a fair go for all, a decent life for everyone and a helping hand to those most in need. But I think the important point is that it is the values that are timeless, the policies will always change to reflect modern circumstances.

“The question is how do you refresh Labor’s policies to deliver on Labor’s values? So public ownership of industry, production, distribution and exchange is a policy, not a value. The policy, whether it is public ownership or anything else, is not set in stone forever. It is our values that are set in stone forever.”

Mr Foley said he identified with the approach taken in ­government by former premier Neville Wran and prime ministers Bob Hawke and Paul Keating. “Those governments at their core pursued Labor’s timeless values with a complete open-mindedness about how to get there,” he said.

“They were focused on the ends, not the means.”

Mr Foley, who opposes the state government’s electricity privatisation plan, says he is open-minded about other asset sell-offs and will consider these on their policy merits. He is not wedded to an old, ­industrial-style Labor agenda.

“We will always be a Labor Party; we will always have a concern for the industrial conditions of people who work for a living.

“But we have to go beyond that. We have to pursue an economic agenda, an environmental agenda and a social agenda to try and ­deliver on our values.”

Last July, the NSW Labor conference resolved to abolish the socialist objective and recommend to the national conference in July this year that a new statement be developed. The motion was opposed by the Left faction.

“Party members ought not to fear a discussion about what ought to replace it,” Mr Foley said. “That does not have to mean an abandonment or repudiation of Labor’s philosophical framework.”

The socialist objective, adopted in 1921 and slightly amended in subsequent years, defines Labor as “a democratic socialist party” that works to achieve “the dem­ocratic socialisation of industry, production, distribution and exchange, to the extent necessary to eliminate exploitation ... in these fields”.

Mr Foley said Labor should look to British Labour, which abolished its commitment to common ownership of the commanding heights of the economy, Clause IV, in 1995.

“The British Labour Party came up with a beautiful set of words to replace Clause IV,” he said. “They start with values and beliefs and then go on to say the party works for a dynamic economy, a just society, an open democracy and a healthy environment. That seems to me a pithy encapsulation of a modern Labor policy framework.”

As revealed in The Australian last year, federal Labor leader Bill Shorten supports the writing of a new objective. Shadow ministers Chris Bowen and Tony Burke, from the Right, and Mark Butler, from the Left, also support a new objective. Mr Hawke and Mr Keating also support rewriting the socialist objective.

A reminder that Luke Foley was the leader of the Socialist Left faction in NSW and was the poster boy for Labor hacks creaming themselves over how the Left were resurgent in NSW again

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm in Tokyo right now and holy loving poo poo is the public transport here incredible. Never had to wait more than 5min for a train, never had to even consider a taxi except for after 1am.

And loving pasmo cards are amazing.

It saddens me that this kind of infrastructure would never exist in Sydney, because it would take up valuable space you could build toll roads/tunnels in.

Also the entire network is less confusing than central station.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Unfortunately the left lost the language war and "socialist" has become a dirty word.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Laserface posted:

I'm in Tokyo right now and holy loving poo poo is the public transport here incredible. Never had to wait more than 5min for a train, never had to even consider a taxi except for after 1am.

It saddens me that this kind of infrastructure would never exist in Sydney, because it would take up valuable space you could build toll roads/tunnels in.

Welcome to literally anywhere outside Australia.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Anidav posted:

Can someone avatarize that loving koala on a cigarette?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Laserface posted:

To be fair, it's a city of 40 million people.

But yeah, their ticketing system is much better, which is crazy when you consider all of the lines are owned by separate companies.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Something, something, wind beneath my wings.

I'm starting to think someone in the Productivity Commission doesn't like either NTATA[1] or Campbell Newman. In the run up to the Queensland snap election the timing of this 'long anticipated' Productivity Commission is just too delicious. It's a double dip piece of stupid if it was done by NTATA's office. The afore said timing means that at least some undecided voters will be changing their voting intentions and that might be the vote that loses Newman his seat, majority government or in my wildest dreams control over Queensland. As an unexpected consequence instead of this being the trigger for taking the cudgels to the unions without showing any heritage to the toxic Workchoices it has muddied the waters and confused the debate. Remember in the depths of the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd debacle when some policy shrapnel would fly out of the trenches and we collectively went :psyduck: AND despite not being professional politicians with an army of staff came up with much better: policies, sales for the policies chosen, communication strategies (etc.). Any claim that NTATA and Co. were even slightly in the game is now risable.

Better yet! It's now too late to damp down the flames. All the usual industry shills are now visibly foaming at the mouth and making loud happy barking sounds with their tails wagging furiously. Behold Judith Sloan. Now frequent sufferers of the Arsetralian will know that she's as worthless a shill as could be imagined with a long and 'proud' tradition of being poo poo. This is just astonishing. Ben Elton couldn't write this as satire and be believed. You can actually feel the breathlessness. She's that happy! (And to call what she does 'analysis' is about four letters too many)

The font of all fecal matter posted:

23 Jan 2015 The Australian JUDITH SLOAN ANALYSIS

Finally, the promise of effective reform hops into full view

I’VE been like a five year old waiting for the Easter bunny to arrive. Prior to being elected, the Coalition promised to commission an inquiry into the workplace relations system, to be conducted by the Productivity Commission. Some draft terms of reference were floating around prior to Christmas 2013; it took the government a further 12 months to finalise them and send the reference to the PC. I could have died waiting. The PC is being asked to assess the impact of the workplace relations framework on a wide range of matters, including: unemployment, underemployment, job creation, small business, productivity, competitiveness, business investment, fair and equitable pay and conditions, responsiveness to changing conditions, engagement with employees, compliance burden, and the list goes on. We should expect a very comprehensive report from the PC, due at the end of the year.

In view of the breadth of this inquiry, the PC is releasing five issues papers dealing with a broad overview of the system; the safety nets of pay and conditions; the bargaining framework; individual employee protections; and a range of miscellaneous topics including alternative forms of employment and public sector workplace relations. The methodologies that will be applied will be necessarily diverse and tailored. The submissions that interested parties make, not necessarily on every topic, will be very important. Not all the issues are amenable to empirical analysis, in part because some of the important impacts are not measurable, but also because economic and business outcomes are determined by a wide range of factors.

The papers give us some indication of what to expect from the inquiry. With all this time to warm up, it is clear that the PC is a reasonable distance down the road when it comes to thinking about the topics to be covered. Take the discussions of minimum wages and penalty rates. There, the key points are outlined and the deviation from what would be market-determined outcomes is raised as an issue. Does it really make sense to have a single national minimum wage — from Currumbin to Melbourne CBD, from Forbes to Glebe? And there’s reference to an early contribution from shadow assistant treasurer Andrew Leigh, who concluded in 2007 that higher minimum wages might actually increase inequality by reducing employment in low income households. One of the issues papers asks the question of whether the institutional system is significantly over-engineered, with a safety net made up of the minimum wage, National Employment Standards, the award system and the tax and transfer system. The scope for inconsistency is large while the compliance burden for employers is high.

For my money, I want the PC to think seriously about the barriers to independent contracting and self-employment, as well as assess the case for much greater individual contracting for employees within the system, reflecting the changing nature of the labour market and the disappearance of swaths of undifferentiated jobs. The reality is that Australia’s workplace relations framework was based on a simple manufacturing-based economy which no longer exists — and indeed has not existed for a long time. It is time to move on and devise a framework consistent with an open, competitive, knowledge-based economy.

There. Now you can be breathless too.

I had been ignoring the government data retention explosive diarrhoea but my ears pricked up when I found out that the problem with the definition of metadata wasn't just ignorance and stupidity but that it will be definable by regulation. I can't find a recent and directly applicable source but:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...827-1094su.html

quote:

"This is a term that does not have a precise definition. It is a description rather than a definition," Senator Brandis said.
Back in August when Brandis and Turnbull were busy tipping whitewash down each others trousers I think the actual impact of this may have been overlooked. If metadata isn't defined at the time of the passing of the legislation then it is subject to change via regulation. One day it might be a simple list of IP addresses the next the full content of all web sites visited and emails received. You can't give clowns like this that sort of power to alter how privacy and quiet enjoyment operate, on a whim. poo poo's all sorts of hosed up.

But back to laughing at the LNP. It makes the pain somehow easier to bear.

Muppet Government.

[1]Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...eb11b933da88868

A reminder that Luke Foley was the leader of the Socialist Left faction in NSW and was the poster boy for Labor hacks creaming themselves over how the Left were resurgent in NSW again

So whenever Labor fanboys whine about "Greens stealing our Leftist Votes" we can point to this and rightly tell them to gently caress off.

• Locked thread