Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I dunno man, that's how we trained him to use the litter box in the first place so my logic was literally "Well, it worked once..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Got down to the shelter today and the only cat they had they felt would be suitable for us (indoor only) was a nervous 2 year old boy. I'm not really bothered about him being nervous, but I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to get an adult cat with my 6 mo kitten. He has lived with other cats before and got on with them apparently, but hasn't adjusted to cattery life well.

Just wondering if anyone has introduced an adult cat to a resident kitten before? Is it a super bad idea? I really liked the little guy but I wouldn't want to get him if it would just end up stressing them both. It's kind of hard to find specific advice about this, it's usually for the other way around :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I think it'll probably be okay. Your kitten is still a kitten and so should adjust quickly, and the boy comes recommended for life with other cats and will adjust with her there. I feel like two is still young enough to not get too frustrated with kitten antics - lord knows my own cats still run around like crazy at 2 and 3. Just keep an eye on them and give them time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Octolady posted:

Got down to the shelter today and the only cat they had they felt would be suitable for us (indoor only) was a nervous 2 year old boy. I'm not really bothered about him being nervous, but I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to get an adult cat with my 6 mo kitten. He has lived with other cats before and got on with them apparently, but hasn't adjusted to cattery life well.

Just wondering if anyone has introduced an adult cat to a resident kitten before? Is it a super bad idea? I really liked the little guy but I wouldn't want to get him if it would just end up stressing them both. It's kind of hard to find specific advice about this, it's usually for the other way around :(

Very rarely will cats genuinely not get along. They may never become best buds but they usually learn to tolerate each other. We have three cats and they can all handle hanging out in the same room, but if one gets within a foot of another sparks will fly.

The most likely issue will be that kitten will want to play and 2-year-old will want to be left alone. Kitten will figure it out pretty quickly.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Octolady posted:

It's usually fine, they might tussle a bit as they hash out where they stand with each other, but usually worst case scenario is they just end up avoiding each other. Read up on how to introduce two cats gradually though, that will help the older cat acclimate.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Thanks for the help again guys, we've decided to take him. It breaks my heart to think about him stuck in a cold cage in a scary place for so long :( our kitten is quite confident, so hopefully she cheers him up!

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
I'm getting a three month old kitten next month. I have an 8 year old not very territorial cat. I'm making that assumption because the last introduction period he had with a cat was basically a few seconds long rather than several weeks, which happened by accident after the new cat ran headlong into the room he was in after leaping from the arms of the guy who brought her over. My cat just went over, sniffed her and lay down next to her.

Anyway the introduced cat died of old age, and this time the new cat is a tiny female kitten.

I am thinking of just introducing them outright but on neutral territory at first just in case, like at a family members house. Does this seem like a bad idea for any reason? I'm not really expecting a miracle again a second time and they will be certainly monitored constantly and kept in seperate rooms when we sleep until the kitten is larger at least, but I'm also not really expecting introduction to take weeks. He has had a similar benign reaction to at least one other cat when we were staying with family one time, who were looking after another family member's cat during that period.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Retro Access posted:

I am thinking of just introducing them outright but on neutral territory at first just in case, like at a family members house. Does this seem like a bad idea for any reason?

Possibly - runs the risk of OldCat freaking out both over the kitten and the fact that he's in a new place that smells weird and he should hide under the couch for a while. I reckon just bring the kitten home and deal with the introduction on home turf, if your cat is as chill as he sounds it shouldn't be a big deal.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, I'd do it at your house to avoid both cats being freaked out about being in a new unfamiliar place. Rather than that, if you want to be careful then a better thing to do would be to separate them so there's a door with a gap at the bottom between them so they can smell there's another cat on the other side of the door and see if they react well to that before letting them meet face to face. Or put the kitten in a cat carrier and let the cat come sniff it with that barrier between them.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My cat is driving me crazy and this morning I snapped, so I figure I should vent here and maybe get some advice.

Since I've gotten him, he's been waking me up between 4-6 am to play. I usually go to bed around 11pm and work at 10am. Before sleeping I play with him until he stops chasing the mouse and just lays there watching it when I move it around.
I then go to sleep and a couple hours later he's poking me with his claws and meowing and attacking anything that is moving under the blankets. If I play with him, he's back to poking and waking me up a few more hours later. I think since I've gotten at the end of September I haven't gotten a full nights sleep.

House is a small 2 bedroom, no basement so space is limited on where I can fit the litterbox. I maybe could put it in the furnace room off the kitchen but then I would need to keep the door open..

Anyways, back to me snapping. This morning was pretty much the same, cat wouldn't leave me alone and I would really like to get more sleep. Tried locking him out of the room but doing that was a bad ideal since the house is 90% carpet. He was out for like 2 mins and managed to rip up a nice portion and when I saw that it just hit me with how much he's ruining me. When I got him I spent over $500 that month on vet visits because he was throwing up everywhere and plus that he's torn up carpet outside my door, outside my roommates door and outside the bathroom so pretty much all the carpet upstairs will need to be replaced eventually.

Now I didn't hit him, I just threw him off my bed, threw his stick-mouse toy at the wall and raged at him but man, I am so tempted to pay the surrender fee and give him back to the humane society.

When I first saw him at the humane society I thought he would be perfect - he was on the middle level of a cat tree, just chilling and smiling at things and just wanted pets. :|

Other random info: Cat is 3 1/2 years old, lives with 6 y/o black lab (dog). They pretty much ignore each other. He has a variety of toys but the only one he plays with is a a mouse on a string thing -

I'm going to trim his claws tonight. Just needed to vent and calm down. :|

edit: I do like the cat during the day most of the time, I just wish I could get a full nights sleep

Danith fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 19, 2015

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
So my cat is currently doing some odd things with his tail, he refuses to lift it beyond a certain point. Normally he loves to walk with it up/tease the dogs by waggling it, but for the past four days or so he's just let it fall limp. He's gotten into fights before with other cats, but there's no visible wound and he's pretty passive when I touch the base of his tail. The base doesn't seem to be swollen, but he makes it obvious that he doesn't want me touching that spot by mewing a bit when I do so.

Is this just a weird cat thing or should I be legitimately worried about this?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Danith posted:

My cat is driving me crazy and this morning I snapped, so I figure I should vent here and maybe get some advice.

Since I've gotten him, he's been waking me up between 4-6 am to play. I usually go to bed around 11pm and work at 10am. Before sleeping I play with him until he stops chasing the mouse and just lays there watching it when I move it around.
I then go to sleep and a couple hours later he's poking me with his claws and meowing and attacking anything that is moving under the blankets. If I play with him, he's back to poking and waking me up a few more hours later. I think since I've gotten at the end of September I haven't gotten a full nights sleep.

House is a small 2 bedroom, no basement so space is limited on where I can fit the litterbox. I maybe could put it in the furnace room off the kitchen but then I would need to keep the door open..

Anyways, back to me snapping. This morning was pretty much the same, cat wouldn't leave me alone and I would really like to get more sleep. Tried locking him out of the room but doing that was a bad ideal since the house is 90% carpet. He was out for like 2 mins and managed to rip up a nice portion and when I saw that it just hit me with how much he's ruining me. When I got him I spent over $500 that month on vet visits because he was throwing up everywhere and plus that he's torn up carpet outside my door, outside my roommates door and outside the bathroom so pretty much all the carpet upstairs will need to be replaced eventually.

Now I didn't hit him, I just threw him off my bed, threw his stick-mouse toy at the wall and raged at him but man, I am so tempted to pay the surrender fee and give him back to the humane society.

When I first saw him at the humane society I thought he would be perfect - he was on the middle level of a cat tree, just chilling and smiling at things and just wanted pets. :|

Other random info: Cat is 3 1/2 years old, lives with 6 y/o black lab (dog). They pretty much ignore each other. He has a variety of toys but the only one he plays with is a a mouse on a string thing -

I'm going to trim his claws tonight. Just needed to vent and calm down. :|

edit: I do like the cat during the day most of the time, I just wish I could get a full nights sleep
You've created your own problem by training him to wake you up when he's bored. You have to ignore him at night no matter how obnoxious he gets. He has to learn that you in bed means no playing.

It's going to take some time and lots of self-control to start getting a full night's sleep again.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Danith posted:

How long have you had him? Was this a sudden change in his behaviour or has it happened from day 1? As Deteriorata says you may just have to condition him to realising that he's not going to get anything out of you at night.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Cat thread, my partner and I are in the process of looking to adopt a cat. (We are limited to one, alas)

We have a 5 year old beagle mix dog that is very submissive and also very autistic, he's likely to be traumatized by a cat that will take regular swipes at him. We've been looking at very laid back cats and paying attention to how they act towards other animals, how they cope with being messed with etc.

But one cat has captured my attention even though she isn't an ideal fit. She's under a year old, very timid and won't come out of her sizeable cage. The shelter volunteers took her box away because no one would ever see her otherwise. However, she rolled over for me, purred her heart out and stood up in the entrance of the cage for more petting. I am told this is a remarkable reaction from her, and I think the shelter is hoping I choose her. I would too, if I was not worried about how she would cope with a dog. I don't want her to suffer too much stress and although our dog would never in a million years hurt her or even probably try to play with her, his presence might mean she lives in fear. Am I being too cautious? Should I give this ladycat a chance? I just imagine her being so much happier in a quiet home with an old lady and no other pets or something.

Plus, my partner really wants a laid back lap cat. She could turn out to be, she's young and a shelter is not an ideal environment for the more timid cats.

Danith
May 20, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

You've created your own problem by training him to wake you up when he's bored. You have to ignore him at night no matter how obnoxious he gets. He has to learn that you in bed means no playing.

It's going to take some time and lots of self-control to start getting a full night's sleep again.

KKKlean Energy posted:

How long have you had him? Was this a sudden change in his behaviour or has it happened from day 1? As Deteriorata says you may just have to condition him to realising that he's not going to get anything out of you at night.

Ahh poo poo, maybe. He drags his cat toy up on the bed and starts attacking it and any slight movement of the covers and starts ripping apart my comforter and pokes my legs until I do something about it. I'll start ignoring him.

Right now he's making meow sounds and just attacking the movement of the covers that he himself makes.. cats

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

When the little bastard is sleeping during the day, wake that rear end in a top hat up and play with him! See how he likes it! My cats don't do any super long play sessions anymore because they're too lazy, but a couple short ones (10-15 minutes is the most they do before laying down and watching me try to play with them :catstare: ) throughout the day wears them out better than just one right-before-bed play session.

As has been said, if you want kitty to ignore you, you HAVE to ignore the kitty. Any attention is still attention (even yelling and throwing stuff) and its teaching him that he CAN get a reaction from you if he tries hard enough.

Maybe some quiet toys that he could play with by himself would help. Maybe not a jingly ball, but a ping pong ball or a catnip mouse or whatever.

Danith
May 20, 2006

CompactFanny posted:

Maybe some quiet toys that he could play with by himself would help. Maybe not a jingly ball, but a ping pong ball or a catnip mouse or whatever.

Oh, he has all of those toys and a couple other feather-like toys scattered around but the only thing he plays with is the mouse thing and only when someone is moving it around for him.

Also he's immune to catnip and doesn't like any cat treats or wet food and the only human food he likes is ham.

I have a broken cat

edit: I dragged the cat tree up from downstairs and he seems to have calmed down. Here's the bastard now

Danith fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 19, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Such a handsome cat! You should probably just play with him whenever he wants.

Is he hungry at that time? Two of mine are obnoxious, destructive little fucks when there's no food in the bowl.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Keep trying on the catnip. One of my cats never cared much for it but the other one LOVES it, so we use it a lot. Eventually he caught on that drugs are cool. :catdrugs:

Danith
May 20, 2006

CompactFanny posted:

Keep trying on the catnip. One of my cats never cared much for it but the other one LOVES it, so we use it a lot. Eventually he caught on that drugs are cool. :catdrugs:

Oh, I try to push catdrugs on him but he just sniffs them and doesn't get what the big deal is and walks away. Even have 2 of the Yeowww catnip toys that are in pretty much pristine condition.

Don't want this to be lost in my stupid cat issues -

Natalie Fartman posted:

Cat thread, my partner and I are in the process of looking to adopt a cat. (We are limited to one, alas)

We have a 5 year old beagle mix dog that is very submissive and also very autistic, he's likely to be traumatized by a cat that will take regular swipes at him. We've been looking at very laid back cats and paying attention to how they act towards other animals, how they cope with being messed with etc.

But one cat has captured my attention even though she isn't an ideal fit. She's under a year old, very timid and won't come out of her sizeable cage. The shelter volunteers took her box away because no one would ever see her otherwise. However, she rolled over for me, purred her heart out and stood up in the entrance of the cage for more petting. I am told this is a remarkable reaction from her, and I think the shelter is hoping I choose her. I would too, if I was not worried about how she would cope with a dog. I don't want her to suffer too much stress and although our dog would never in a million years hurt her or even probably try to play with her, his presence might mean she lives in fear. Am I being too cautious? Should I give this ladycat a chance? I just imagine her being so much happier in a quiet home with an old lady and no other pets or something.

Plus, my partner really wants a laid back lap cat. She could turn out to be, she's young and a shelter is not an ideal environment for the more timid cats.

If you introduce the dog and cat slowly I think they could get along but I think the 'kitten crazies' are a real thing and the dog might not like it when the cat explodes

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

Hot sauce covered bamboo skewers? Can't poop on them, can't bear to pull them out?

This was the winner. Upside: cat now pooping in litterbox as intended! Downside: discovered that I am apparently a weird cat lady who gets very excited to see poop in a litterbox.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Danith posted:

edit: I dragged the cat tree up from downstairs and he seems to have calmed down. Here's the bastard now

What a handsome bastard!

I second the "wake him up" thing. If it's daytime and you're up, cat gets to be up, too! This helped us condition Poyo to stop waking us up at 2 a.m. Now she just wakes us up at 6 a.m., you know, for an early breakfast. :v:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Danith posted:

If you introduce the dog and cat slowly I think they could get along but I think the 'kitten crazies' are a real thing and the dog might not like it when the cat explodes

I went back to see the cat today but she was just way waaay too scared for me to be confident about her. There was, however a sweet 8 month old black katte who uh, is currently chilling upstairs in our spare room. He's a purr machine and makes air biscuits, isn't remotely afraid of where he is. Only issue is he is meowing his heart out right now and I have to leave him for a bit MY HEART IS BREAKING OH GOD

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
It took a few months of ignoring him and hotsauce on stuff he'd chew on just to get us to stop him, but pizza b has learned not to bother us awake in the morning.

Instead he sits on the headboard and leans over, watching me intensely for signs of getting up, like a hungry gargoyle, licking his chops desperately.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I have a feeling this won't be the last time I use that hot sauce trick so thanks for that! If not for his excellent purrs and skill at guarding my vulnerable yarn, Theodore would be a terrible roommate.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Can't get a good photo now but new nervous cat is home and hiding in his igloo bed. However he will bunt your hand for scritches and is purring when we pet him so I think that's good? He's a real sweetheart. Hasn't eaten or peed yet though, which is less good :(

ed: nevermind he finally ate up the little bit of wet food I had out for him. The shelter had him on royal canin dry and he has that for now, but apparently has never eaten wet food so I'm really surprised he went for it and left his biscuits.

LeafyGreens fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 21, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Animal bits covered in gravy are difficult even for a connoisseur to resist.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Cat thread, please help me with odd / disgusting problem with one of my two cats!

The cat in question is about 2 1/2 years old, and was adopted by my wife and me when she was about 3-4 months old from a local rescue league. Ever since she was about 10-12 months old, she's had a sneezing issue. Amusing, except she gets sneezing fits which result in her sneezing out large bloody clots and some liquid blood / sputum in small droplets. When this first started happening, we brought her to the vet, who put her under general anesthesia and scoped her sinuses. He reported that he had found a single hair growing deep inside her sinuses (where hair really shouldn't grow) and pulled this hair out. He then presented us with a $500 bill for his services.

This hair removal procedure seemed to resolve the sneezing issue for the next 6 months or so, but then it slowly returned. It seems to get worse during the dry winter months, although I'm not 100% certain. We discussed the possibility of having the hair removed permanently through electrolysis, and were told that this would run about $2300 (!!!!). I like this cat, but not enough to spend $2300 on.

Any ideas as to whether this whole hair-in-sinuses busines sound plausible, or could this be a sign of some underlying problem that the vet missed? Anything I could do to treat this issue myself without spending $2300?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
We adopted a cat in august of last year, it's a 6 year old tabby male.

The problem is this thing loving HOWLS, at least 3 nights a week and all god drat night, I didn't sleep five minutes last night.

I'm at a loss of what to do, I got him checked out for medical problems because of age I thought it could be something due to that or kidney stones, it wasn't anything they did blood work and the whole shebang and other than being overweight he is fine.

Another cat is out of the question, they said he was a one cat house, and it also took a long time to get him ok with the dogs, I don't want to have to give this guy up but being a zombie 3 days a week is crushing me. Only thing I can think of is trying to tire him out more.

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 21, 2015

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
My new cat is a bit bitey in a certain way and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it.

He's super chill and likes being petted. However it seems that if you put your hand in front of him there's a very good chance that he'll bite it. So if I pet him in such a way that my hand starts at the top of his head and runs down his back he's fine. If I do the same thing but at an angle where he can see my arm/hand the whole time (like if he's in front of me with his head facing to my right), there's a good chance he'll attack it. It doesn't seem to be an issue of him being annoyed at being petted (since I can pet him for as long as I want the "right" way), but rather he just really doesn't like to see your hand when you pet him.

Overall it's a fairly minor thing. He doesn't bit hard unless you keep doing it and as long as I pay attention to how I pet him I can avoid it. However it does make it hard if I try to do things like trim his claws, since that necessitates putting my hands in the danger zone. Any advice?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yelp and then ignore him whenever he bites you. That will probably persuade him to knock it off. He has bad manners!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Scruff him when you clip his claws.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Do it ironically posted:

We adopted a cat in august of last year, it's a 6 year old tabby male.

The problem is this thing loving HOWLS, at least 3 nights a week and all god drat night, I didn't sleep five minutes last night.

I'm at a loss of what to do, I got him checked out for medical problems because of age I thought it could be something due to that or kidney stones, it wasn't anything they did blood work and the whole shebang and other than being overweight he is fine.

Another cat is out of the question, they said he was a one cat house, and it also took a long time to get him ok with the dogs, I don't want to have to give this guy up but being a zombie 3 days a week is crushing me. Only thing I can think of is trying to tire him out more.

Had a cat like this. Threw a calming collar on him, and it helped significantly. Replaced it with a new one every month.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Danith posted:

Ahh poo poo, maybe. He drags his cat toy up on the bed and starts attacking it and any slight movement of the covers and starts ripping apart my comforter and pokes my legs until I do something about it. I'll start ignoring him.

Right now he's making meow sounds and just attacking the movement of the covers that he himself makes.. cats

One of our cats is like this, just about 2 years old and he loves to sneak under the covers/sheets from the end of the bed and then attack feet. It was annoying as hell but I just ignored him for the first few months when he was a kitten and now either he doesn't attack me or I don't notice. When it was particularly bad/annoying I would just wrap the covers around my feet so he couldn't get to them and he'd give up. However, my wife still constantly wakes up when he does this ( despite my proof that ignoring works ) and I think has undiagnosed restless leg syndrome and he goes mental when he gets it in his head to attack her feet - even if it means he probably has several concussions. She can't help herself and constantly wakes up and throws him off the bed but he usually gives it 3 or 4 more attempts. She wakes up exhausted, I'm always well rested.

2 of the others will regularly just wake her up for pets in the wee hours of the morning too, not playing, just sitting on the head, wanting some lovin. She of course wakes up and pets them for a little bit until they go away. None of them do this to me.

I guess the lesson is, if you want to sleep through the night with an annoying cat, ignore it!

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
So I have a 6 year old cat who is my lil' buddy. I had been watching my sisters cat too for the past 2 years because she couldn't have pets at her place and got caught. In September she was able to take her back leaving my cat alone. Ever since then he seems lonely and more needy. I try and play with him or hold him but he still seems... sad? I was wondering if anyone knew something that could help other than simply getting another cat. My lease makes getting a new pet a huge process that I am relatively sure is in place to discourage it. Also our place is kinda small anyway.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can someone recommend a good auto-waterer? I have one like this but it's kind of a piece of poo poo, and want something less lovely. I'd prefer non-electric, the pump on my last one went bad. Basically I need this but bigger:

http://www.amazon.com/Pureness-AW3-3-Liter-Auto-Waterer/dp/B0002DK6EU/

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Deviant posted:

Can someone recommend a good auto-waterer? I have one like this but it's kind of a piece of poo poo, and want something less lovely. I'd prefer non-electric, the pump on my last one went bad. Basically I need this but bigger:

http://www.amazon.com/Pureness-AW3-3-Liter-Auto-Waterer/dp/B0002DK6EU/

http://amzn.com/B00NB3MWQ8

We used to have one of these that would support a 2-liter bottle of water for our dog (This was like a decade or more ago) and it worked perfectly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And there's models which you can just drop an office water cooler jug into.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the most durable toy that looks like a bunch of feathers?

The 20 dollar spinning squeaky mouse thing I got seems to be a dud, but this feather poo poo I got on clearance cause of Christmas is a big hit, but its already ripped to shreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013

skybolt_1 posted:

Cat thread, please help me with odd / disgusting problem with one of my two cats!

The cat in question is about 2 1/2 years old, and was adopted by my wife and me when she was about 3-4 months old from a local rescue league. Ever since she was about 10-12 months old, she's had a sneezing issue. Amusing, except she gets sneezing fits which result in her sneezing out large bloody clots and some liquid blood / sputum in small droplets. When this first started happening, we brought her to the vet, who put her under general anesthesia and scoped her sinuses. He reported that he had found a single hair growing deep inside her sinuses (where hair really shouldn't grow) and pulled this hair out. He then presented us with a $500 bill for his services.

This hair removal procedure seemed to resolve the sneezing issue for the next 6 months or so, but then it slowly returned. It seems to get worse during the dry winter months, although I'm not 100% certain. We discussed the possibility of having the hair removed permanently through electrolysis, and were told that this would run about $2300 (!!!!). I like this cat, but not enough to spend $2300 on.

Any ideas as to whether this whole hair-in-sinuses busines sound plausible, or could this be a sign of some underlying problem that the vet missed? Anything I could do to treat this issue myself without spending $2300?

Get a second opinion from another reputable vet in your area.