Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
Don't forget the 3 month rule here for LPing new games. Also, I'm not holding my breath for KH3 to come any earlier than, say, 2017 at the soonest, given this series track record. (Unless there's info out there that says I'm full of poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The 3 month rule was abolished by our lord Geop a month ago.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Huh, I just went out and bought the 2.5 HD remix a few weeks ago and have been putting time into it whenever I can. Beat it a few days ago and now I'm just working my way through the assorted bonus bosses. I'm not sure about how strict your no spoilers policy is regarding names alone but Lingering Will is an absolute bitch. I've tried a couple dozen times by now and I usually fail to even get him down to 50% before he finishes me off. It really sucks because I kind of told myself I'd beat him and the other bonus bosses before moving on to play Birth by Sleep for the first time. So yeah, gently caress him and the hoverbike he rode in on.

Anyway, I'll be following along now to since I kind of want to see how much better you are at this than me, especially since I had enough trouble just going through on proud mode.

And since you seem to be doing a commentator Jamboree I'd be willing to pop in as well if you need an extra, though I doubt I could hang around for a full 2.5 hour session. My skype name is Febel6914.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

Nameless Fool posted:

Don't forget the 3 month rule here for LPing new games. Also, I'm not holding my breath for KH3 to come any earlier than, say, 2017 at the soonest, given this series track record. (Unless there's info out there that says I'm full of poo poo)

Well the current info we have is that Nomura is completely focused on Kingdom Hearts 3. This is changed from several months ago where he was also working on Final Fantasy 15. This tells me that Square-Enix is looking to release Kingdom Hearts 3 in late 2015 or early 2016. Since I have slowed I the frequency of updates down quite a bit and we still have quite a bit of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix to get through then I can easily see this thread not having to wait that long before we see KH3 after I finish Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012

GMArcturus posted:

Well the current info we have is that Nomura is completely focused on Kingdom Hearts 3. This is changed from several months ago where he was also working on Final Fantasy 15. This tells me that Square-Enix is looking to release Kingdom Hearts 3 in late 2015 or early 2016. Since I have slowed I the frequency of updates down quite a bit and we still have quite a bit of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix to get through then I can easily see this thread not having to wait that long before we see KH3 after I finish Kingdom Hearts 3D.

There is no three month rule anymore. He made the announcement in the let us play rules thread, which is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3614061.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

I wasn't referring to the rule. I was referring to how long we would have to wait until the game is released. In other words, we won't have to wait that long after I have finished all the other games to start KH3 because there is a good chance it could release before I am finished with KH2FM, BBSFM, Re:Coded and KH3D.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

GMArcturus posted:

Wait, if Nomura isn't working on XV anymore, who is in charge of it?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Silegna posted:

Wait, if Nomura isn't working on XV anymore, who is in charge of it?

Someone coherent, maybe.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Someone coherent, maybe.

Nomura, not Coherent? Perish the thought!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Silegna posted:

Nomura, not Coherent? Perish the thought!

Maybe someone with a decent sense of fashion style?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

bman in 2288 posted:

Maybe someone with a decent sense of fashion style?

So...they outsourced then?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rhiodise posted:

Huh, well that's good news at least! I've got no clue why I thought he was dead, I swear I heard about it but it was probably just some other big name VA and my brain confused it.

Have no fear, he's still alive and well

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

That was absolutely hilarious! I can now see how they would fit Star Wars into Kingdom Hearts 3.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So...they outsourced then?

They actually did, to a Japanese fashion label.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there readers of the thread, I just thought I would pop in and let you know I've decided how to do something for the thread. Originally, as of the middle of the week last week I was planning to drop the frequency of the updates down to one a day for Monday and Friday, but after speaking with Prythian I have decided to hold off on that until next week because the current commentary recordings for episodes seven through twelve would be kind of awkward if we started there. This means starting a week from today there will only be one episode on Monday and one episode on Friday. Also, in order to catch up and not have it be so awkward when we do hit next Monday I will be doing three updates this week. One each on today (Monday), Thursday and Sunday. I know this may seem like a lot, but it will make the LP flow smoother on my end for updates and whatnot. Today's episodes are seven and eight.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Alright guys time to get an update on just what the heck is going on in KIngdom Hearts 2 Final Mix.

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 007 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Headed to Hollow Bastion"
Episode 008 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Protect the Bailey!"

New Episodes
Episode 007 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Headed to Hollow Bastion"
Episode 008 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Protect the Bailey!"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Flora

This is the first of the Good Fairies from Sleeping Beauty.

Fauna

This is the second of the Good Fairies from Sleeping Beauty.

Merryweather

This is the third of the Good Fairies from Sleeping Beauty.

Scrooge McDuck

This is Donald's uncle and technically the parental guardian for Huey, Dewey and Louie.

Ping/Mulan

This is Ping/Mulan. She is a young woman that took her sick father's place in the Chinese army in a war against the Huns.

Yao

This guy is a quick to anger and loves fighting.

[Ling

The man in mustard yellow is a little more laid back than Yao.

Chien Po

The big guy in blue is a very calm and friendly individual and he loves to eat.

Li Shang

This is the captain of this particular portion Chinese troops.

Shan-Yu

This is the commander of the Hun army that is attacking China.

New Heartless

Nightwalker

This is basically the Kingdom Hearts version of the jiang shi, or Chinese vampire/zombie from Chinese mythology. One you might know better would Hsien-Ko from Capcom's Darkstalkers or Marvel vs Capcom games.
Reaction Command: None

Assault Rider

Centaurs that attack with lances and are generally irritating.
Reaction Command: None

Nobodies

Samurai

Lower form Nobodies that dual wield katannas (feel free to correct me if that isn't the correct sword type). These the Nobodies that Roxas controlled when he was in Organization XIII.
Reaction Command: Duel Stance - Select the "O (circle)" in the command list before time runs out and you will do massive damage to the Samurai.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 29, 2015

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So! We've finally reached the point where we get not only magic, but also a Drive Form! While in KH1 there was only magic spells and summons to really talk about, in KH2 we have four different types of special powers to talk about. Drive Forms, Magic, Summons, and Limits. The last two of these will wait until we get them.

Instead, before I explain the spells that we now have, I should explain how magic works in KH2. The most important thing to know is that MP works entirely different. You'll remember in one that your max MP also was your magic power. Now, MP and magic are two separate stats. In addition to that, MP is no longer a stat that you can manipulate with accessories and levels. (There are a couple of fights in FM that upgrade your max MP a bit, but for 90% of the game it will be set at 100 MP.) It also does not recharge with hitting enemies.

Here's the way it does work. You have that blue bar there, and every time you cast a spell, that bar goes down. When it runs out, you enter something called MP Charge, where it's replaced with a pink bar that slowly empties. You can't cast any magic while the pink bar is on screen. When the bar fully empties, it brings back the blue bar, only full once more. Collecting MP orbs, or using Ethers, will restore blue MP to the bar, or take off portions of the pink bar.

You can actually turn off MP Charge, though. Through the Customization menu, you can set spells to not trigger MP Charge. When this is set, using that spell will only be available if you have the MP to cast it. If your MP is too low to cast it, that spell will simply be unavailable, and MP Charge will never trigger off of it. Honestly, I've never used that function. I always feel it's better to just get into MP Charge, wait a bit, and get back your MP. With some MP Haste-type abilities equipped, it can go pretty fast.

One more thing to note! In KH1, spells did not key off of your combo. Here, they do, and getting through a magic combo will make the final cast on the finisher more powerful. However, this does leave time between combos, so you can't just constantly be spamming magic like you could in KH1.

Now, for the spells.

Fire: Returning from KH1, the Fire spells are the ones that have changed the most. They're no longer a ranged spell in the slightest. When Sora uses Fire, fireballs appear and circle around him, making this a short-range attack at best. Most people will automatically dismiss the use of this after trying it a few times, particularly if they're coming off of the first game, where Fire was really easy to hit with and could be spammed. However, it's important to note one thing: With the exception of a later spell that is broken by ALL accounts, Firaga is THE most damaging spell in the game. Later Drive Forms will make it easier to hit with, Fira and Firaga are more spread out from Sora, ALSO making it easier to hit with... and it fills a niche no other spell does, as it can hit all enemies in a circle around you, at least in later versions. Another spell can do this, but it's the one that's absurdly broken, and there are requirements for that. There are some things later in FM that liberal use of Firaga makes much easier.

Blizzard: Blizzard, of course, also returns from KH1! It likewise was also changed. While it's still a ranged spell, Blizzard is no longer a shotgun spreadfire. Instead, Blizzard shoots a single ice crystal forward in a straight line from you. Sounds purely inferior to both KH1 Fire and KH1 Blizzard? Well, not really. Blizzard's strength is that it pierces through enemies. So it'll hit one enemy... and then the next one behind it... and then the next one behind it... etc. etc. Higher level versions increase the size and damage of the crystal. Again, certain Drive Forms modify it a bit, but we'll talk about those when we get them. Blizzard is a good solid spell regardless, able to do significant damage from a distance in one combo.

Now, you know what Drive Form DOESN'T modify your magic? The one we just got: Valor Form!

Valor Form: This Drive Form requires Goofy to be on the field and conscious. When in use, Goofy vanishes, and Sora gains a second Keyblade. His fighting style changes completely, going into fast, long combos with powerful finishers at the end. It costs 3 Drive Gauges to use, and its Growth ability is High Jump. Drive Forms each have their own condition to level up. Valor Form's is that each time you hit something, the form gets one EXP. Each level gives you an ability, but levels 3, 5, and 7 level up the High Jump ability that Valor Form has... and Sora's base form has access to these abilities, only one level lower. So at level 3, Sora can start using High Jump for himself!

Now, I'll be honest, I don't like Valor Form. It can do a lot of damage to single targets, but it fares less well in groups, mainly good for large groups of weak enemies if anything. It's best used for bosses, both for getting lots of hits and doing lots of damage. It's also definitely fun to just pummel someone over and over again! Valor Form also has special abilities that let you press Square in the middle of a combo to skip straight to the finisher. However, Valor Form has one downside I can't get over. In Valor Form, you cannot use magic. Even if you're not using magic offensively, this is still a significant downside, as it means that after you get Cure (yes, you do get Cure, not really spoilers), you can't really heal yourself without using items, which are strictly inferior to just casting Cure. Valor Form also has a nasty habit of getting you used to the long combos, which leaves you vulnerable to other enemies near you as you focus on a single target.

Valor Form is great, don't get me wrong! It's just my least-favorite of the forms, because as fits the first one you get, it's overall the weakest, even if it still has some niche use after getting other forms.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fire is pretty good for being able to smoothly integrate into your combos as a finisher.

Valor form is definitely the weakest form. It's good for now but every other one outclasses it and actually has gimmicks that make them stand out.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Hmm, I was one of those people who didn't like the Fire spell in this game. After your post, though, I think I'm going to try it out next time I play this game (which will be a long time away). Besides, my favorite spell (besides the broken one you mentioned) is thunder. That it exists in this game isn't a spoiler.

I really should get 2.5, huh? It just seems so fun still.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Time for another update!

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 009 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: That Wiley Shan-Yu"
Episode 010 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Beast Mode"

New Episodes
Episode 009 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: That Wiley Shan-Yu"
Episode 010 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Beast Mode"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

The Emperor

The Emperor of China, not much else to say other than that. VA: Pat Morita (a.k.a Mr. Miyagi)

New Heartless

Bolt Tower

An annoying enemy that can headbutt you and fire electricity.
Reaction Command: Bolt Reversal - If the Bolt Tower uses its Catch Laser attack you can reverse it with this reaction command to deal damage to the tower and other surrounding heartless.

Rapid Thruster, a.k.a Fish Copter

Another annoying enemy that doesn't really do much damage unless you are attacked by a group of them.
Reaction Command: Aero Blade - Sora will jump in the air and spin in a circle with his keyblade(s) held out doing damage to any enemy in the vicinity.

Hook Bat

Similar to the Rapid Thruster, this enemy isn't really dangerous unless it is in groups.
Reaction Command: Bat Cry - Sora grabs the Hook Bat by its hook and swings it around damaging enemies.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 29, 2015

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Limits

So, we got our first Limit this video, with Mulan. Every world-specific character has or will have a Limit over the course of this game, and Donald and Goofy actually get two each. They are powerful combo attacks that consume all of your MP, named after (of course) Limit Breaks from the regular Final Fantasy series. Each Limit has its own special moves, but typically the way it works is that you activate it, and then alternate X and Triangle until you reach the final part of the Limit. There IS a bar at the top of the screen that, if it runs out, automatically ends the Limit, so you can't just sit in a Limit and be invincible!

The one we're looking at today is Mulan's Limit, Red Rocket, and the ability you need to equip to use it is Dragonblaze.

When you use Red Rocket, Mushu opens up by dropping an enormous amount of fire around you. After this, you're in the interactive portion of the Limit and have access to two commands; Heat Lance, which is your Reaction command, and Flametongue, which replaces attack. Heat Lance immediately hits an enemy with fire, and Flametongue causes Sora to surround himself in flames and charge straight at enemies. You can alternate, or use one more than the others, but it's definitely better to alternate. As soon as you've used one of the commands around four or five times, it gets replaced by Red Meteor, the finishing move of the Limit. Alternating lets you get closer to 9 or 10 attacks.

As an added note, Red Rocket is special in that while you're in the interactive part of the Limit, you can fly. I think a lot of people may not realize this because they're busy mashing the buttons during the Limit, but there it is.

Now, after getting to Red Meteor, the Limit is over, and Mulan and Sora shove Mushu into the air, where he shoots a bunch of fireballs out that rain down everywhere around you. Red Rocket is honestly a pretty great Limit, but it's also one of the weaker ones, I'd say. Use your Limits! They're really powerful! (They'd better be, using all of your MP...)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Prythian posted:

(They'd better be, using all of your MP...)

Did we ever go over how MP was different in this game?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

so :ducksiren: spoilers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5QZrJDV2U
Every instance, or thereabouts, of SORAHDONAULDGUUFEE

Turns out they say it a whole fuckin lot.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Silegna posted:

Did we ever go over how MP was different in this game?

Look at the post for the update above, where I go over magic. :v:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
There are very few limits I use, when playing this game. If I ever use them, it's only to combat any one specific boss that tend to be... troublesome. But we'll get there when we get there. I'm just not a big fan of using limits that much.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

My favorite won't be shown for quite some time. I actually have two favorites. One of them you get at the very end of the game and the other is from a world that is stuck in the 80s.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The one from the final world is pretty great, as for the other one do you mean Complete Compilement?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The one from the final world is pretty great, as for the other one do you mean Complete Compilement?

Indeed I do.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

GMArcturus posted:

My favorite won't be shown for quite some time. I actually have two favorites. One of them you get at the very end of the game and the other is from a world that is stuck in the 80s.

Yep, that one is my favorite as well. The one at the very end.

Prythian posted:

Look at the post for the update above, where I go over magic. :v:
Having it take all your MP is a bad thing, especially if you have MP Berserk and forget its on, as you need to finish the combo to kill a boss.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Silegna posted:

Having it take all your MP is a bad thing, especially if you have MP Berserk and forget its on, as you need to finish the combo to kill a boss.

Just because you're stuck in that mode doesn't mean you're unable to beat the boss. Like Arcturus said, there are other moves that are flagged as finishers, and they don't have to be magic attacks or actual finishers. Recognizing these moves as such will make your life a lot easier.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

bman in 2288 posted:

Just because you're stuck in that mode doesn't mean you're unable to beat the boss. Like Arcturus said, there are other moves that are flagged as finishers, and they don't have to be magic attacks or actual finishers. Recognizing these moves as such will make your life a lot easier.

Specifically, though in Berserk you have no access to spells or regular combo finishers, many Reaction commands count as finishers, and I believe every single Square-based move counts as a finisher. So just start a combo and then hit square if you have access to any of them. Failing that, using a Drive Form or Summon, if you can, will also give you access to more finishers. I'm pretty sure Aerial Retaliation also counts as a finisher.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Prythian posted:

Specifically, though in Berserk you have no access to spells or regular combo finishers, many Reaction commands count as finishers, and I believe every single Square-based move counts as a finisher. So just start a combo and then hit square if you have access to any of them. Failing that, using a Drive Form or Summon, if you can, will also give you access to more finishers. I'm pretty sure Aerial Retaliation also counts as a finisher.

Yes it does.

Let's talk about something that's not in black bars. I don't think Sora's wearing a onesie in this game.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Yes it does.

Let's talk about something that's not in black bars. I don't think Sora's wearing a onesie in this game.

He still has a crapton of zippers. Donald even has one on his HAT. Why?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Silegna posted:

He still has a crapton of zippers. Donald even has one on his HAT. Why?

Didn't we go over this earlier? Nomura has no sense of style. Or he's truly descended into madness a long time ago.

Or maybe both. I like this answer the best.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Didn't we go over this earlier? Nomura has no sense of style. Or he's truly descended into madness a long time ago.

Or maybe both. I like this answer the best.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF A ZIPPER ON A HAT?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Silegna posted:

WHAT IS THE POINT OF A ZIPPER ON A HAT?

Donald Duck is a gigantic jerk and the zipper calls attention to it. It's like the signs of a frat boy. Only less popped collars and more literally pointless things that only a terrible person would do.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Donald Duck is a gigantic jerk and the zipper calls attention to it. It's like the signs of a frat boy. Only less popped collars and more literally pointless things that only a terrible person would do.

Fun Fact: Mickey is not the face of disney in Denmark. Donald Duck is. It's odd.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silegna posted:

Fun Fact: Mickey is not the face of disney in Denmark. Donald Duck is. It's odd.

Donald Duck is a better character.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've been partial to Goofy on some occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Donald Duck is a better character.

True, this. Donald Duck was always my favorite.

• Locked thread