Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

If you're gluten free, fine whatever. But people will make fun of you. Figure out what you can eat and drink and ask for it directly if you can't handle Mr. Burnsian liquor store employees owning the hell out of you.

Also, man, people complain about vegans, but gluten weirdos are a million times more annoying.

Celiac disease is a real thing, it's like being holier-than-thou over a peanut allergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Stan Taylor posted:

Also, man, people complain about vegans, but gluten weirdos are a million times more annoying.

Well the principles behind being a vegan are actually real (cruelty to animals) even if you don't agree with veganism.

There is no scientific proof of gluten sensitivity being a thing at all, beyond legit Celiac's sufferers - and do not count the self-diagnosed. It's literally something most people read in a magazine and took at face value: gluten=bad.

I don't know why this woman decided to make a food allergy a major part of who she is, but this article is mostly just sad and pathetic; a central facet of most STDH.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
When I was 13 I was wrongly diagnosed with Celiac disease by my doctor, I went gluten free for 4 months before the error was corrected. It was such a huge pain in the rear end, I really don't understand these stupid fad-diet weirdos, why would you intentionally go through something like that?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Drunk Tomato posted:

Well the principles behind being a vegan are actually real (cruelty to animals) even if you don't agree with veganism.

There is no scientific proof of gluten sensitivity being a thing at all, beyond legit Celiac's sufferers - and do not count the self-diagnosed. It's literally something most people read in a magazine and took at face value: gluten=bad.

I don't know why this woman decided to make a food allergy a major part of who she is, but this article is mostly just sad and pathetic; a central facet of most STDH.

Yeah, I think vegan is pretty rad, but I'm too much a gross slob to spend that much time editing from my current diet. There's loads of STDH about uppity vegans online (particularly places like imgur/reddit) getting passed around in the same way that there a load of anti-feminist STDHs.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Drunk Tomato posted:

Pretty much this. I've got a friend who decided she was "gluten intolerant" and stopped eating gluten about 6 years ago. And of course, she can't really be tested to verify this because that would mean having to eat foods with gluten for a week to see how she reacts (so she says).

The thing is, "gluten insensitivity" or "gluten intolerance" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Guess what you have to avoid when you can't eat gluten? Foods made with refined white flours and simple carbs (think white breads, pastas, pretty much ALL junk foods). Guess what foods make you feel bloated and sick when you eat them in abundance? Foods made with refined white flours and simple carbs (think white breads, pastas, junk food). So of course you're going to feel better if you cut them out of your diet.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, I think vegan is pretty rad, but I'm too much a gross slob to spend that much time editing from my current diet. There's loads of STDH about uppity vegans online (particularly places like imgur/reddit) getting passed around in the same way that there a load of anti-feminist STDHs.

It's actually not that hard any more as long as you live in a reasonably sized metro area.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Farmland Park posted:

When I was 13 I was wrongly diagnosed with Celiac disease by my doctor, I went gluten free for 4 months before the error was corrected. It was such a huge pain in the rear end, I really don't understand these stupid fad-diet weirdos, why would you intentionally go through something like that?

Part "I'm special and different!", part ignorance.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Funny thing is that non-celiac gluten sensitivity probably doesn't exist... but there IS a thing called FODMAPS sensitivity that, coincidentally, has almost the exact same do-not-eat list as the no-gluten diet. (It's actually even more annoyingly restrictive. No garlic or onion.) So some people with stomach issues self diagnose as that bullshit non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and COMPLETELY BY ACCIDENT switch to a diet that helps with the actual problem.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Tendales posted:

(It's actually even more annoyingly restrictive. No garlic or onion.)

God is real and hates the Italians

vvv: The fact that you're not a vegan, of course

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Jan 23, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So, if you meet a vegan who also runs marathons, which of those facts will they insert into conversation first?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

canyoneer posted:

So, if you meet a vegan who also runs marathons, which of those facts will they insert into conversation first?

"Have you ever read Atlas Shrugged?"

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Maybe it's just because I'm from the midwest, but I've met far more obnoxious anti-vegans than obnoxious vegans.

"Hey try this burger, it's so good"
"Nah sorry dude I'm vegan"
"OH MY GOD WHY DO VEGANS NEVER SHUT UP. HEY HOW DO YOU KNOW IF SOMEONE IS VEGAN? DON'T WORRY THEY'LL TELL YOU!!"

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm from the midwest, but I've met far more obnoxious anti-vegans than obnoxious vegans.

"OH MY GOD WHY DO VEGANS NEVER SHUT UP. HEY HOW DO YOU KNOW IF SOMEONE IS VEGAN? DON'T WORRY THEY'LL TELL YOU!!"

Why is it so hard for people to respect other people's choices, for Chrissakes? :(

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

razorrozar posted:

Why is it so hard for people to respect other people's choices, for Chrissakes? :(

Because I have never met a person irl who responds like

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This. Every vegan I've met has been an insufferable shitheel, and I refuse to respect shitheels regardless of type.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've met some pretty big assholes about all sorts of things.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
O think vegans have just a really bad rep because some of them tend to be super annoying about it.

Also everyone who doesn't think like me is obviously wrong. :colbert:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
The happiest place on earth.

quote:

Children Don’t Count And Adults Can’t Count
RESTAURANT | ANAHEIM, CA, USA | FOOD & DRINK, WILD & UNRULY
(I work as a lead host in a well known restaurant, in a well known, famous, and popular vacation resort area. People come here with their families a lot.)

Me: “Hello! Welcome to [Restaurant]. How many are in your party today?

Guest: Oh, I need six and three-high chairs.”

(I’m extremely used to guests giving us their party total like this that I automatically total their party size for them.)

Me: “So nine total?”

Guest: “No, six and three high chairs.”

Me: “Yes… so… nine bodies total.”

Guest: “Well, sorta. I mean there’s six of us and maybe like three halves…”

Me: “Uh… okay, nine total people.”

Guest: “Well, the three are children.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, I understand. However, because they require their own seat and take up seating space, I need to count them as well. So it’ll be a total of nine.”

(Normally, most guests understand this and agree with and move on so we can get them seated but for some odd reason, this guest did not seem to understand what I was trying to explain to her. She stared at me while I type down her information into our system.)

Guest: “No, hold on. I told you, I need six seats… and three high chairs.”

Me: “Right… and those high chairs take up space, so it’ll technically be nine seats total, but three of those nine are going to be high chairs and not regular chairs.”

Guest: “No! I need six seats and three high chairs! What part of that do you not understand.”

Me: “No, I understand, ma’am.”

Guest: “SO JUST GET ME A TABLE!”

Me: “Yes, ma’am.”

Guest: “Gosh, how can you be so stupid!”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Guest: “They should fire you for not being able to do basic math.”

(My manager overhears this exchange between the guest and I and immediately steps into the conversation. She asks what was the problem and begin to take down her information into our system, personally. My manager then asked her how many people were in her party.)

Guest: “I need six and three high chairs.”

Manager: “Great! So nine total.”

Guest: “No. Six. And Three. High. Chairs.”

Manager: “Right. Nine total.”

Guest: “OH, MY GOD! I JUST NEED A TABLE THAT WILL FIT SIX PEOPLE AND THREE KIDS! AND THOSE THREE KIDS NEED HIGH CHAIRS! HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?!”

Manager: “Ma’am, we count your children as people as well and since they require their own seats, though the seats might be in the form of a high chair, they are included in the party size as well. Do not worry; I will get you the proper table size.”

Guest: “How do they count as people? They are like… halves of a person!”

(My manager at this point is obviously fed up with the guests who cannot understand what we both tried to explain to her. So she takes off her glasses, look at the guest straight in the eyes with the most serious face on.)

Manager: “So which half did you bring of your children? The upper part of the torso? Or the lower part? How do you even decide?”

Guest: “YOU KNOW WHAT?! FORGET IT! I cannot believe they hire a group of people who cannot do math! No wonder why you are all stuck working here! GO BACK TO SCHOOL BECAUSE YOU ALL OBVIOUSLY NEED IT!”

(The guest gathers her family and storms out of the restaurant. As they leave, the little girl in the party comes walking up to me and my manager, who are simply just staring at the woman who was forcing her family to leave.)

Little Girl: “Sorry… my mom is crazy.”

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Byzantine posted:

Celiac disease is a real thing, it's like being holier-than-thou over a peanut allergy.

I know a man with Celiac.

Recently his office all went to lunch at a Greek place. He ordered something benign. Except it wasn't. There was enough gluten to fill this: 00. Not very much, right?

He was out for over a week while his intestines shed their liner and grew a new one.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah actual coeliac disease (as non-US people call it you lazy bastards) is a legit auto immune disease. It ain't fun. Then again, autoimmune diseases are always a bitch :smith:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

actual coeliac disease (as non-US people call it you lazy bastards)

I'm pretty sure that's the disease where you gradually turn into a coelacanth.

Maybe a coelurosaur if you're lucky.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Both of my step brothers are celiac and they get really sick if they have anything with even a little bit of gluten in it. It's a shame that the gluten weirdos make people with celiac disease look like hippies or suckers that got caught up in a new fad diet.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

Marley Wants More posted:

Edit: Actually I just Googled "whinge" to see how often idiots spell it that way, and apparently whinge is actually a word. I guess I'm the idiot.
You sure are! Especially as the two words mean (admittedly slightly) different things and are pronounced differently too.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

quote:

Let me tell you that I have made a bad mistake this evening.

My girlfriend (who let me tell you is only my 2nd girlfriend of all time) said I am "invited to dinner" with her and her parents. I was very aghast, nervous, and bashful to be invited to such a situation. But I knew it must be done.

I met them nicely, I should tell you, and it started off in a good way. The idea slapped my mind that I should do a comic bit, to make a good impression and become known to them as a person who is amusing.

When I saw that baked potatoes were served I got the idea that it would be very good if I pretended I did not know what potatoes was. That would be funny.

Well let me tell you: backfired on my face. I'll tell you how.

So first when the potato became on my plate, I acted very interesting. I showed an expression on my face so as to seem that I was confused, astounded but in a restrained way, curious, and interested. They did notice, and seemed confused, but did not remark. So I asked "This looks very interesting. What is this?"

They stared at me and the mother said "It's a baked potato." And I was saying "Oh, interesting, a baked....what is it again?"

And she was like "A potato."

And I was like "A 'potato', oh interesting. Never heard of a potato, looks pretty good."

And then they didn't see I was clowning, but thought I really did not know what is a potato. So I knew I would be very shamed, humiliated, depressed, and disgusted if I admitted to making a bad joke, so what I did was to act as if it was not a joke but I committed to the act of pretending I didn't know what a potato is.

They asked me, VERY incredulous, did I really not know what a potato is? That I never heard of a potato. I went with it and told them, yes, I did not ever even hear of a potato. Not only had I never eaten a potato I had never heard the word potato.

This went on for a bit and my girlfriend was acting very confused and embarrassed by my "hosed up antics", and then the more insistent I was about not knowing what a potato is was when them parents starting thinking I DID know what a potato was.

Well let me tell you I had to commit 100% at this point. When I would not admit to knowing what a potato was, the father especially began to get annoyed. At one point he said something like "Enough is enough. You're loving with us. Admit it." And I said "Sir, before today I never heard of a potato. I still don't know what a potato is, other than some kind of food. I don't know what to tell you."

Well let me tell you he got very annoyed. I decided to take a bite of the potato, and when I did I made a high pitched noise and said "Taste's very strange!"

That is when the father started yelling at me, and the mother kept saying "What are you doing?" and my girlfriend went to some other room.

Finally the father said I should "Get the gently caress out of his house" and I said it was irrational to treat me like this just because I never heard of a potato before. Well let me tell you he didn't take that kindly.

Now in text messages I have been telling my girlfriend I really don't know what a potato is. The only way I can ever get out of this is for them to buy that I don't know what a potato is.
I wish I never started it but I can't go back. I think she will break up with me anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That sounds like a Seinfeld episode. I can see that happening to George.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Testekill posted:

Both of my step brothers are celiac and they get really sick if they have anything with even a little bit of gluten in it. It's a shame that the gluten weirdos make people with celiac disease look like hippies or suckers that got caught up in a new fad diet.
On the other hand, gluten weirdos are the reason why stores are carrying way more gluten free products. Celiac disease afflicts ~1 in 133 people, and there's a way stronger financial incentive to stock gluten free products if you can bolster that number with people who want to eat gluten free for the hell of it.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
i know a nice vegan but we never talk about food

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reminds me of that thread someone posted asking for advice because for some reason he'd been faking an Australian accent around his girlfriend and was wondering how to come clean about it because she was about to meet his parents. I think they'd been dating for something like 6 months at that point.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Elysiume posted:

On the other hand, gluten weirdos are the reason why stores are carrying way more gluten free products. Celiac disease afflicts ~1 in 133 people, and there's a way stronger financial incentive to stock gluten free products if you can bolster that number with people who want to eat gluten free for the hell of it.

My friend's mom has Celiac disease and says gluten free people are the best thing that's happened to her.

I think people encountering more obnoxious anti-vegans than obnoxious vegans has to do with idiots hearing about preachy vegans on the Internet and getting angry about something they've never encountered. The same thing happens in the UK with angsty teenage atheists complaining about Christians oppressing them. I met about 50 guys like that in university but the UK doesn't really have the American Bible Belt style of obnoxious Christians they whine about.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The weirdly stilted writing style makes it look like he's imitating someone, let me tell you.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

i know a nice vegan but we never talk about food

I know a nice vegan goon and we talk about food all the time because he is a fantastic cook and helped me step up my dosa game.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

davidspackage posted:

The weirdly stilted writing style makes it look like he's imitating someone, let me tell you.

Yeah I don't know what is better, the content or the really super weird way of writing.

But let me tell you, it is better than gluten chat I tell you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

davidspackage posted:

Read the whole thing as Dr. Nick.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Khazar-khum posted:

The happiest place on earth.

"Nah more like 6 and 3 half people" (clearly joking)
"(internally rolls eyes) Okay, follow me right this way please)

the real ending

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ex-Navy Seal should be the centre of STDH bingo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

quote:

(My manager overhears this exchange between the guest and I and immediately steps into the conversation. She asks what was the problem and begin to take down her information into our system, personally. My manager then asked her how many people were in her party.) 

Oh it's this situation again! It's like these people have some sort of program that spits out a dumb stdh story but has the same kicker pop up in every one verbatim.

Just as the scene ends, the camera starts to focus on the girl as she approaches the employees, says, "sorry....... My mom is crazy". Cue 22 minute laugh track as she high fives the employees.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The way the story is written her family was standing right there as well, in plain view.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
They're like.....HALF PEOPLE! :byodame:

sweeperbravo posted:

"Nah more like 6 and 3 half people" (clearly joking)
"(internally rolls eyes) Okay, follow me right this way please)

the real ending

poo poo that did happen.txt

I mean even if they weren't joking, an employee at Disneyland will smile and say "thats nice" if you say you have 3 arms or something. They won't get combative and start a loving argument with a guest like a loving childautistic sperglord.

quote:

:byodame: Six and 3 halves of human beings please!

:spergin: Ma'am CLEARLY you F**L at math because there are a total of NINE individuals in your party, not six and three halves, NOW SIT DOWN!

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Jan 23, 2015

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I know a nice vegan goon and we talk about food all the time because he is a fantastic cook and helped me step up my dosa game.

Dosa is one of the best things ever and I am extremely jealous now. I've only gotten up to making an okay gulab jamun.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I could see this happening to a Troper.
:byodood: NO DON'T YOU GET IT? I'M THE CLOUD CUCKOOLANDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Ex-Navy Seal should be the centre of STDH bingo.

It's okay that he paints nails, see, because he also as an enormous penis.

• Locked thread